Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1841163 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12210 on: June 14, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
My older son had to get a light lecture this evening on how to react when his baby brother hurts himself.   The little guy got a little scratch as a result of the cat.  Not a bad scratch at all, really but it did bleed a bit and hopefully he'll learn to leave the kitty alone. In fact little guy didn't even cry at all but my oldest freaked out as though the cat had just beheaded him and the middle child said "I need to go outside to deal with this."  ::)

Meanwhile the little guy is running around the living room giggling as I'm trying to catch him to clean up the cut.  Actually he fussed more at being held down to get cleaned than he did when he got scratched. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kaymyth

« Reply #12211 on: June 15, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
When a family of four spend a good hour or so browsing our library's selection, leisurely choosing the books they want, having been informed several times that we're closing at X time, which is fast approaching, and then they come up to the desk at X minus thirty seconds and mention that, oh yeah, they don't have library cards and have to be signed up. Then after that takes them several minutes past closing time they want to go downstairs to sign the kids up for the summer reading program, which takes a few more minutes. And then when a departing coworker tries to herd them out the downstairs doorway they decide that, no, they'd really like to go out the upstairs door. So they walk very slowly up the stairs and out the front door, which deposits them about 20 feet from where the downstairs doorway would have put them. And then, of course, they start walking away towards the downstairs exit. Which means that at the end there they wasted their own time as well as mine.

Very nice people, every one of them, but holy crap did they annoy the snot out of me. It's like they were playing a game and they got extra points for the longer they got to stay in the building after closing. There actually are people who seem to get their jollies keeping us past closing, but these folks were just terminally clueless. They still managed to delay us later than anyone has in years, though, from a combination of us trying to give good customer service and me constantly thinking "Surely they'll leave now. Right?"

When I followed them up the stairs at the end, the mother kept sneaking glances at me. I think she thought I was rude for following them, but I had to make sure they actually exited the stinkin' building before I could start closing everything down. I just know they're going to think staying late is normal the next time they come in.

The library in which I worked was considered the best of its type in the Western Hemisphere.  As a result, we would get dedicated readers who'd take a day or two off from work and visit us once or twice a year.   

These folks would be outside the door at 8:30 when the library opened at 10 AM.  They didn't realize that librarians have  things to do besides talking to enthusiastic readers who can only come to the place once or twice a year. 'Every extra moment I can spend here is precious'.

The end of the day was equally bad.  Ten minutes before we closed, they'd show up with literally 200 pages of photocopying to be done.  Of course, they'd be battering you with questions while you were
trying to make the copies and keep track of the cost.  when these people came in you could never get out of work on time.

the worst of the worst had to be the one who showed up with a laundry list of references she wanted to see 15 minutes before we closed on Christmas Eve.  She had made no reservation to use the library but was sure that we were closing 'to spite' her because we were Christian and she followed the kemitic faith.

Speaking *as* a Kemetic myself, I can say with certainty that this woman was an idiot.  And that Ma'at and Thoth, at the very least, were doing their best impression of the Picard/Riker double facepalm at her antics.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #12212 on: June 15, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
My older son had to get a light lecture this evening on how to react when his baby brother hurts himself.   The little guy got a little scratch as a result of the cat.  Not a bad scratch at all, really but it did bleed a bit and hopefully he'll learn to leave the kitty alone. In fact little guy didn't even cry at all but my oldest freaked out as though the cat had just beheaded him and the middle child said "I need to go outside to deal with this."  ::)

Meanwhile the little guy is running around the living room giggling as I'm trying to catch him to clean up the cut.  Actually he fussed more at being held down to get cleaned than he did when he got scratched.

We are trying to teach my little niece, 16 months old, not to freak out when she falls down bump on her bum, or bumps her head, etc.  It *is* annoying when someone is there and says, "Oh, NO!", and goes rushing after her to pick her up and fuss over her.  That reaction is what makes her freak.  We can tell when she has actually hurt herself a little, and will act appropriately, but 99% of the time, we just tell her, "You're OK!", and she carries on.    ;)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12213 on: June 15, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »
When people turn to the phrase, "Well that's your opinion."  It annoys me for many reasons, but mostly because of how condescending it always sounds.  Today's use was just stupid.

Me:  No, I don't like that kind of music.  I like metal.
Inmate:  Nah, that's not music.  This (what we were listening to) is music.  This takes artistic talent.
Me:  I don't think it does.
Inmate:  Well, that's your opinion.
Me:  Obviously, I just said it was!

I then explained to him that his opinion was that metal doesn't take artistic talent.  He seemed dumbfounded by the notion.  I think he finally realized that what his stock phrase to opposition actually meant.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Snooks

« Reply #12214 on: June 15, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
Finding out I've missed an entire season of a show because it's on a channel I never watch and my reminder service didn't work.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12215 on: June 15, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »
'Kaymyth',

We held nothing against Kemetic people because of her.  We'd known her for years and she was a PITA before she adopted the belief system.  I think it's a federal law that every group has to have a plug-ugly or two. 

Most Kemetic people who visited us were lovely.  Queen Afua was a regular patron.   She invited us to several interesting (and delicious) Temple functions. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12216 on: June 15, 2013, 08:14:55 PM »

We are trying to teach my little niece, 16 months old, not to freak out when she falls down bump on her bum, or bumps her head, etc.  It *is* annoying when someone is there and says, "Oh, NO!", and goes rushing after her to pick her up and fuss over her.  That reaction is what makes her freak.  We can tell when she has actually hurt herself a little, and will act appropriately, but 99% of the time, we just tell her, "You're OK!", and she carries on.    ;)

I know what you mean.  Before I even had my first child, one of my aunts told me (though I'd already learned it, it was a good reminder) that when a little one hurts themselves, you wait till they react before you run to comfort them.   So when any of my kids would bonk their head I'd say lightly "uh oh!" They'd look at me, sometimes repeat it and then get up to run into another wall.  The only time I'd go scoop them up and comfort them is if they'd start screaming and crying but even then I'd be calm. 

My middle son was so accident prone for a while that I jokingly bought him a tshirt that said "I do all my own stunts."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #12217 on: June 17, 2013, 09:43:51 AM »
Sigh. SIL strikes again.

This last week, her two middle kids went to camp. Apparently SIL has no sense of direction/never checks a map, because when she and BIL dropped them off (in a small city about 90 minutes from their house, a very easy drive AND SIL has a smartphone with GPS), BIL drifted off to sleep and woke up just in time to see SIL obliviously drive past the last exit into the city. So, worried she would get lost, he told her that he would pick the kids up.

All week SIL posted on Facebook how much she missed her kids and how excited she was that they'd be home on Sunday.

BIL works as TON (SIL is a SAHM); an 80-hour workweek is light for him. Sunday is the only day of the week he gets off. (He worked a 60 hour week last month when we saw him and DH joked about how much "free time" BIL would have now.) FIL kindly offered to pick up the kids, and to take the oldest with him (there's an attraction in the pickup city that the oldest kid has never seen but would absolutely love.) BIL, relieved, accepted the offer.

I got a call from FIL on Saturday evening. He had tried to call DH but DH had left his phone at my sister's house (of course, the one time.) FIL was passing through my hometown, where we were that weekend, and wanted to know if we could have dinner (he was on his way out of town that that point, otherwise we would have invited him over.)

Apparently SIL just assumed pickup was on Sunday (because dropoff was on Sunday) and never really checked the date. FIL was about to leave his house on Saturday to hang out with his brother when he got a phone call from a panicked camp leader. Nobody had been there to pick up the kids!! They had been unable to reach SIL at the Original Stop. The bus had another stop to make (in my hometown, another hour away) so a counselor who lived in My Hometown offered to look after the kids until their parent/guardian could be found.

So because SIL couldn't be bothered to check dates, and was unavailable (which I find odd, she's home all the time and is always on her cell phone), FIL had to drop everything and drive 2 1/2 hours one way to pick up his grandkids (7 and 11) who were scared and confused about why nobody had been there to pick them up, and he didn't get to take the oldest kid to the attraction.

That night, SIL posted on Facebook about what a "relaxing night" she'd had. No mention of the mix-up, or a public thanking of FIL, or anything (she did have a large homage post about her own deceased father, though.) If it had been me, I would have at least taken FIL and MIL out for dinner on Sunday. Nope. They didn't even bother to stop over and say hi. (Did I mention that they only live about a mile apart?)

SIL makes my eye twitch.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12218 on: June 17, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »
Sigh. SIL strikes again.

This last week, her two middle kids went to camp. Apparently SIL has no sense of direction/never checks a map, because when she and BIL dropped them off (in a small city about 90 minutes from their house, a very easy drive AND SIL has a smartphone with GPS), BIL drifted off to sleep and woke up just in time to see SIL obliviously drive past the last exit into the city. So, worried she would get lost, he told her that he would pick the kids up.

All week SIL posted on Facebook how much she missed her kids and how excited she was that they'd be home on Sunday.

BIL works as TON (SIL is a SAHM); an 80-hour workweek is light for him. Sunday is the only day of the week he gets off. (He worked a 60 hour week last month when we saw him and DH joked about how much "free time" BIL would have now.) FIL kindly offered to pick up the kids, and to take the oldest with him (there's an attraction in the pickup city that the oldest kid has never seen but would absolutely love.) BIL, relieved, accepted the offer.

I got a call from FIL on Saturday evening. He had tried to call DH but DH had left his phone at my sister's house (of course, the one time.) FIL was passing through my hometown, where we were that weekend, and wanted to know if we could have dinner (he was on his way out of town that that point, otherwise we would have invited him over.)

Apparently SIL just assumed pickup was on Sunday (because dropoff was on Sunday) and never really checked the date. FIL was about to leave his house on Saturday to hang out with his brother when he got a phone call from a panicked camp leader. Nobody had been there to pick up the kids!! They had been unable to reach SIL at the Original Stop. The bus had another stop to make (in my hometown, another hour away) so a counselor who lived in My Hometown offered to look after the kids until their parent/guardian could be found.

So because SIL couldn't be bothered to check dates, and was unavailable (which I find odd, she's home all the time and is always on her cell phone), FIL had to drop everything and drive 2 1/2 hours one way to pick up his grandkids (7 and 11) who were scared and confused about why nobody had been there to pick them up, and he didn't get to take the oldest kid to the attraction.

That night, SIL posted on Facebook about what a "relaxing night" she'd had. No mention of the mix-up, or a public thanking of FIL, or anything (she did have a large homage post about her own deceased father, though.) If it had been me, I would have at least taken FIL and MIL out for dinner on Sunday. Nope. They didn't even bother to stop over and say hi. (Did I mention that they only live about a mile apart?)

SIL makes my eye twitch.

She seems like a complete airhead, to say the least.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #12219 on: June 17, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »
She's just very lazy, I think, and very willfully ignorant. She won't do anything herself if she can get someone to do it for her, and if nobody will do it for her then she just won't do it. And she's always doing rude stuff because she doesn't think about other people, ever.

Last Father's Day, FIL invited everyone over for lunch. They told him they would be there (6 people) plus two or three of their (unrelated to FIL) nieces and nephews. So FIL made a huge amount of food. BIL and two of his four kids showed, and that was it. He said SIL was "sick." (She's sick pretty much every holiday event, she posts about it right before the gatherings so we all know. :P ) I mentioned to one of the nephews later about how sorry it was that his mom wasn't feeling good, and he said, "Yeah, she's not sick... ::)" She left a relative's wedding reception before dinner was served because it was St. Patrick's Day and she wanted to be out drinking instead. Just a couple gems  ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12220 on: June 17, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
I don't think your SIL will ever change.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #12221 on: June 17, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
Nope. Just one of the many reasons we are secretly gleeful (and simultaneously incredibly annoyed) when she and any number of her kids don't make it to family events. DD keeps asking when she can go to her cousins' house. Erm. I'd love to send her over there...but it completely conflicts with my desire to keep her far, far away from SIL.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12222 on: June 17, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »
Fear mongering, 'nough said.

magicdomino

« Reply #12223 on: June 17, 2013, 04:06:27 PM »
Last week, I bought a "Classic Stand fan."  (Classic means it is made out of metal, not plastic.   :)  ) There was quite a bit of assembly required, but I had one screw left to screw, to attach the fan to the motor.  Except, the screw was missing.  It was supposed to be in the fan, but there was only an empty hole.  I checked all the packaging, looked in the box, ran the dustmop under the furniture, nothing.  Naturally, none of the screws that I already had on hand would work.  This morning, I called Hunter to see if they could send me a screw.  Nope.  They are terribly sorry to disappoint me, but parts are not available for that product.  I was welcome to exchange it though.  Which means disassembling the whole thing and trying to get all of the pieces to fit in the box.  *sigh*

I need to stop by a Target this week anyway.  Maybe they will be willing to take the fan back almost assembled -- assuming they even have others in stock anymore.  I went to two Targets to get this one.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12224 on: June 17, 2013, 05:23:39 PM »
Last week, I bought a "Classic Stand fan."  (Classic means it is made out of metal, not plastic.   :)  ) There was quite a bit of assembly required, but I had one screw left to screw, to attach the fan to the motor.  Except, the screw was missing.  It was supposed to be in the fan, but there was only an empty hole.  I checked all the packaging, looked in the box, ran the dustmop under the furniture, nothing.  Naturally, none of the screws that I already had on hand would work.  This morning, I called Hunter to see if they could send me a screw.  Nope.  They are terribly sorry to disappoint me, but parts are not available for that product.  I was welcome to exchange it though.  Which means disassembling the whole thing and trying to get all of the pieces to fit in the box.  *sigh*

I need to stop by a Target this week anyway.  Maybe they will be willing to take the fan back almost assembled -- assuming they even have others in stock anymore.  I went to two Targets to get this one.

If you really like the fan, you could always swing by a hardware store to see if they have a screw that fits.  You shouldn't have to, but it would probably be less aggravating than taking the thing about and returning it.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah