Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1781832 times)

Adelaide

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12225 on: June 17, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »
Today I am wearing my broken glasses, not a stitch of makeup, and my hair is frizzy. Of COURSE this would be the day I would almost physically run into the guy I like. >.<

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #12226 on: June 17, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »

Gish really does not get nuances sometimes. Twice in the past week I have made a statement about the way I in particular feel, and he throws me a “Do you think so?” and then argues that it is just an expression. Yes, I know it is just an expression, but when I say, “Man, I am hot and sticky already” it sounds really weird to ask if I think so. Obviously I think so. I’m pretty much the only one who can make that determination since it *my* state of being I am talking about and I just said it, didn’t I? I don’t know if I am more irritated by the “Do you think so?” or the fact that he just doesn’t get that asking it sounds really odd and doesn’t really make sense.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12227 on: June 17, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Today a woman expressed she was surprised I have 3 kids, and said it a couple times.  I just smiled and said "I'm older than I look" and told her I'll be 35 this year. She told me I looked to be mid-20's.

Now that didn't annoy me at all but then the boys and DH say "We tell you that all the time, why don't you believe us!" It's not that I don't believe them but it's still nice to hear from others.   And honestly, when I hear it from the kids I don't know how much of it is because they want something. ;)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12228 on: June 17, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »

Gish really does not get nuances sometimes. Twice in the past week I have made a statement about the way I in particular feel, and he throws me a “Do you think so?” and then argues that it is just an expression. Yes, I know it is just an expression, but when I say, “Man, I am hot and sticky already” it sounds really weird to ask if I think so. Obviously I think so. I’m pretty much the only one who can make that determination since it *my* state of being I am talking about and I just said it, didn’t I? I don’t know if I am more irritated by the “Do you think so?” or the fact that he just doesn’t get that asking it sounds really odd and doesn’t really make sense.

The Eagle does this with "Not really."  I will say something like, "I feel really sweaty," and he'll say, "Not really."  He means I don't look that way, he says, but his statement is to when I say I feel something.  How can he tell me I don't really feel a way I just said I feel?  It's annoying.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #12229 on: June 17, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »

The Eagle does this with "Not really."  I will say something like, "I feel really sweaty," and he'll say, "Not really."  He means I don't look that way, he says, but his statement is to when I say I feel something.  How can he tell me I don't really feel a way I just said I feel?  It's annoying.

Yes! Just like that!
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12230 on: June 17, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »
Today I am wearing my broken glasses, not a stitch of makeup, and my hair is frizzy. Of COURSE this would be the day I would almost physically run into the guy I like. >.<

He probably prefers that version of you!

Adelaide

« Reply #12231 on: June 17, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »

He probably prefers that version of you!

That's kind of you to say. ^.^ But a lot of people tend to ask me if I'm about to vomit when I don't wear any makeup. >.<

magicdomino

« Reply #12232 on: June 18, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »
Last week, I bought a "Classic Stand fan."  (Classic means it is made out of metal, not plastic.   :)  ) There was quite a bit of assembly required, but I had one screw left to screw, to attach the fan to the motor.  Except, the screw was missing.  It was supposed to be in the fan, but there was only an empty hole.  I checked all the packaging, looked in the box, ran the dustmop under the furniture, nothing.  Naturally, none of the screws that I already had on hand would work.  This morning, I called Hunter to see if they could send me a screw.  Nope.  They are terribly sorry to disappoint me, but parts are not available for that product.  I was welcome to exchange it though.  Which means disassembling the whole thing and trying to get all of the pieces to fit in the box.  *sigh*

I need to stop by a Target this week anyway.  Maybe they will be willing to take the fan back almost assembled -- assuming they even have others in stock anymore.  I went to two Targets to get this one.

If you really like the fan, you could always swing by a hardware store to see if they have a screw that fits.  You shouldn't have to, but it would probably be less aggravating than taking the thing about and returning it.

If the old hardware store that sold loose screws was still open, I'd be there in a flash, fan blade in hand.  I've sent an email to Hunter asking for the screw size.  That would minimize the number of screw packages I'd have to open at Home Depot to get the right size.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12233 on: June 18, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »
Last week, I bought a "Classic Stand fan."  (Classic means it is made out of metal, not plastic.   :)  ) There was quite a bit of assembly required, but I had one screw left to screw, to attach the fan to the motor.  Except, the screw was missing.  It was supposed to be in the fan, but there was only an empty hole.  I checked all the packaging, looked in the box, ran the dustmop under the furniture, nothing.  Naturally, none of the screws that I already had on hand would work.  This morning, I called Hunter to see if they could send me a screw.  Nope.  They are terribly sorry to disappoint me, but parts are not available for that product.  I was welcome to exchange it though.  Which means disassembling the whole thing and trying to get all of the pieces to fit in the box.  *sigh*

I need to stop by a Target this week anyway.  Maybe they will be willing to take the fan back almost assembled -- assuming they even have others in stock anymore.  I went to two Targets to get this one.

If you really like the fan, you could always swing by a hardware store to see if they have a screw that fits.  You shouldn't have to, but it would probably be less aggravating than taking the thing about and returning it.

If the old hardware store that sold loose screws was still open, I'd be there in a flash, fan blade in hand.  I've sent an email to Hunter asking for the screw size.  That would minimize the number of screw packages I'd have to open at Home Depot to get the right size.

Take the fan blade to Home Depot and have one of their employees find the screw for you.  They're actually pretty good about doing that sort of thing.  That way, if any packages have to be opened, they'll be the ones who do it.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12234 on: June 18, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
I was surprised to find an Ace Hardware on 34th street in Manhattan that sold loose screws and nuts--and had a great little homemade device to help them figure out what size things were.

So they may be more likely than you think--if you skip a big box store.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #12235 on: June 18, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »
DH has been diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. We generally eat okay, but he really wants to see an improvement on his next health analysis, so we have all been working on increasing our heart-healthy food intake. Unfortunately, DH is not the cook or grocery buyer in our family has almost no knowledge of nutrition or food content, which leads him to make odd and uninformed choices in re: to his meals. (One example, we went to our favorite BBQ place and he ended up ordering a grilled chicken sandwich. Later he sadly commented that there had been almost nothing for him to eat on the menu. Pulled white meat chicken, lean brisket, and fish were all on the menu too, but for some reason he equated "smoked" with "really awful for you." He's also been ordering caeser salads everywhere we go--and was shocked when I pointed out that caesar dressing is quite salty and fatty.)

Now someone told him that fruit is "full of fructose." Which, yes, I understand fruit has natural sugar, but he has become waaaaay overconcerned with it, basically equating an orange to a ball of white sugar wrapped in rind. He wouldn't eat a second triangle of watermelon the other day because of "all the fructose." :::eyetwitch::: It's a triangle of watermelon, dude. You're not eating a whole watermelon in a single sitting. And you were eating almost no fruit before. And he doesn't drink soda, so he's already a step ahead. It was a little brain-hurty to be arguing to someone that fruit is, in fact, not inherently "bad" for you.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #12236 on: June 18, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »
Have him give My Fitness Pal a try.  Just tell him to stay away from the forums.  :)

cwm

« Reply #12237 on: June 18, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »
DH has been diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. We generally eat okay, but he really wants to see an improvement on his next health analysis, so we have all been working on increasing our heart-healthy food intake. Unfortunately, DH is not the cook or grocery buyer in our family has almost no knowledge of nutrition or food content, which leads him to make odd and uninformed choices in re: to his meals. (One example, we went to our favorite BBQ place and he ended up ordering a grilled chicken sandwich. Later he sadly commented that there had been almost nothing for him to eat on the menu. Pulled white meat chicken, lean brisket, and fish were all on the menu too, but for some reason he equated "smoked" with "really awful for you." He's also been ordering caeser salads everywhere we go--and was shocked when I pointed out that caesar dressing is quite salty and fatty.)

Now someone told him that fruit is "full of fructose." Which, yes, I understand fruit has natural sugar, but he has become waaaaay overconcerned with it, basically equating an orange to a ball of white sugar wrapped in rind. He wouldn't eat a second triangle of watermelon the other day because of "all the fructose." :::eyetwitch::: It's a triangle of watermelon, dude. You're not eating a whole watermelon in a single sitting. And you were eating almost no fruit before. And he doesn't drink soda, so he's already a step ahead. It was a little brain-hurty to be arguing to someone that fruit is, in fact, not inherently "bad" for you.

My boyfriend has his weird things about food. Or he'll repeat the same thing over and over and over and over again every time something happens. We'll be in the car and of the seven radio stations on his presets that he cycles through, three of them will be on commercial. The others are just songs he doesn't want to listen to. This will invariably start a conversation about how "They must plan it, for all the stations to be on commercials at the same time."

His new thing is that caffeine from tea is better than caffeine from soda or coffee because it's water-soluble and therefore absorbs into the body differently. Last I checked, caffeine was a chemical whose composition didn't change depending on its method of entry into the human body. The sugars may well be different, but the caffeine molecule itself isn't. (Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Shalamar

« Reply #12238 on: June 18, 2013, 12:46:38 PM »
BabyMama's post reminds me of when my FIL was diagnosed with high cholesterol  and was told to avoid certain foods.  One of them was Cheet-os, or any other deep-fried cheese-flavoured snack.  In honest puzzlement, he asked us "What's so bad about those?"  Seriously???   ???

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #12239 on: June 18, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »

His new thing is that caffeine from tea is better than caffeine from soda or coffee because it's water-soluble and therefore absorbs into the body differently. Last I checked, caffeine was a chemical whose composition didn't change depending on its method of entry into the human body. The sugars may well be different, but the caffeine molecule itself isn't. (Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Also, tea and soda and coffee are all made from water.  This is serious brain-hurty territory he's in.

Tea has less caffeine than soda and coffee (source: Mayo Clinic ), but that's the only important difference I can think of.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.