Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1850210 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12255 on: June 18, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »
That thing hanging on the wall is a picture. PICK-chur.  A pitcher is a container to pour liquids from; the waiter uses one to give you more water.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #12256 on: June 18, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »
BabyMama's post reminds me of when my FIL was diagnosed with high cholesterol  and was told to avoid certain foods.  One of them was Cheet-os, or any other deep-fried cheese-flavoured snack.  In honest puzzlement, he asked us "What's so bad about those?"  Seriously???   ???

I found out that I had high cholesterol, and I started eating Cheerios every morning.  I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but it really did work for me.  Just like the commercials state.

I read that as you started eating Cheetos every morning and thought i had found my miracle diet
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #12257 on: June 19, 2013, 05:27:02 AM »
DH has been diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. (((snip)))

Now someone told him that fruit is "full of fructose." Which, yes, I understand fruit has natural sugar, but he has become waaaaay overconcerned with it, basically equating an orange to a ball of white sugar wrapped in rind. He wouldn't eat a second triangle of watermelon the other day because of "all the fructose." :::eyetwitch::: It's a triangle of watermelon, dude. You're not eating a whole watermelon in a single sitting. And you were eating almost no fruit before. And he doesn't drink soda, so he's already a step ahead. It was a little brain-hurty to be arguing to someone that fruit is, in fact, not inherently "bad" for you.

Different fruits have different amounts of fructose, too! I have to avoid fructose (among other things) myself right now, so I have an iPhone app that I can look up foods with. I switched the filters to exclude foods with what it calls "excess fructose", and this is what it came up with:

BAD: apples, ripe sugar bananas, cherries, mango, pears, tamarillos, watermelon (so actually he was right to stop when he did ;) )

GOOD/OKAY: apricots, avocado, other bananas (including firm/underripe sugar bananas), blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, custard apples, grapefruit, grapes, kiwifruit, lemons, mandarins, honeydew melons, nectarines, oranges, passionfruit, pawpaw, peaches, persimmons, pineapple, pomegranate, raspberries, rhubarb, strawberries.

Tell him he can eat a lot more fruit than he thinks! 8)

And on a similar topic... I'm currently being driven up the wall by the way so many things are advertised as "XXX FREE!!!" in big letters (where XXX is something I have to avoid right now) but turn out to have something else I have to avoid in them. Gluten-free bread and pizza bases with soy as a main ingredient, or deli meats with soy / wheat / milk solids / garlic / whatever else in there, for example. *sigh* At least one of the local supermarkets puts warnings for that sort of thing on the deli case so I don't have to guess.  :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #12258 on: June 19, 2013, 06:20:15 AM »
Lack of empathy.

I am working hard on something right now (sorry I can't give specifics), but may lose it due to the decision being in someone else's hands - and that person is wavering and suggesting that their answer will be "no".  I accept that but I feel sad about it and it will impact my life in a big way.

So I have mentioned to a couple of friends that I may lose this thing after they asked about it, and their response has been "well, I'm sure that's not true".  It bugs me that they think they know more than I do, or that I might be lying.  Why can't they just accept my answer, or not ask me about it if they won't?  It just makes this so much harder.

cwm

« Reply #12259 on: June 19, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
Lack of empathy.

I am working hard on something right now (sorry I can't give specifics), but may lose it due to the decision being in someone else's hands - and that person is wavering and suggesting that their answer will be "no".  I accept that but I feel sad about it and it will impact my life in a big way.

So I have mentioned to a couple of friends that I may lose this thing after they asked about it, and their response has been "well, I'm sure that's not true".  It bugs me that they think they know more than I do, or that I might be lying.  Why can't they just accept my answer, or not ask me about it if they won't?  It just makes this so much harder.

((hugs)) It's no fun losing something you have no control over. I totally undestand that one, I've had a massive job shift (and susequent raise in pay) out of my control and denied three times at three different companies (for three different reasons, no less). Every time I said I was worried about it and didn't think I'd get it, people would tell me that it was fine or that I was worrying for nothing and everything would be fine.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12260 on: June 19, 2013, 06:55:24 PM »
I recently attended an event that features several student programs that I am eligible for and will benefit my education and chosen career greatly. However, I must have a faculty mentor first. I sent an email to a prospective mentor yesterday morning, no response yet. It is driving me up the wall!

People who drive poorly/distractedly are also a big pet peeve today. I saw no less than 10 people weaving in their lanes because they were on their phones.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #12261 on: June 20, 2013, 09:36:57 AM »
Every year for my birthday, and sometimes other holidays, I get a message from my mom: "I have a card for you, but I haven't managed to mail it yet because of [long string of excuses]. Sorry Iím such a bad mom." In the past decade, I remember a grand total of maybe two of those cards ever making it to me. At this point, I don't even care. Iíd rather just have a text that says "Happy Birthday" (which she sent this year before the litany of excuses). Other conversations also include similar statements.

I once had a friend who would also constantly say similar things, including stuff like "I don't know why you put up with me, Iím such a terrible friend." (He was't, except when he said things like this. He was actually a very good friend) Itís wearing. Weíre no longer friends, mostly because communicating with him got annoying, purely because of that.

Iím sorry, Iím not going to feed the need by saying "youíre not a bad [whatever]!".

Since I find myself still annoyed by my mom, two days after the fact, I figure Iím still perched on the wall!

A simple, "Sorry, I haven't made it to the post office, but Iím thinking about you. Your card will be a few days late." is more than sufficient.   :(

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12262 on: June 20, 2013, 10:00:23 AM »
I'm not a big one for cards for that reason.  I'll buy them beforehand but keep forgetting to actually put a stamp on the envelpe and put them in the mail.  I hate Christmas cards and this year I swear I'm going to tell DH that if he wants so badly to send Christmas cards, he can do it. 

I laughed once when I got a card from my grandmother that said "This is a before and after card. I thought of it before but didn't send it till after."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #12263 on: June 20, 2013, 10:11:36 AM »
I don't send Christmas cards anymore.  I was tired of spending a lot of money and time writing personal notes on each one, only to get back a "Happy Holidays from the (Blah) Family" from people we'd known for years.  I figured I'd take the money I would have spent and donate it to charity instead!

Pen^2

« Reply #12264 on: June 20, 2013, 10:23:59 AM »

Argh! Yes! This bugs me so much! When you tell someone about a situation and they immediately tell you the future, despite having only just heard about what's going on and knowing less about it than you do. The worst I've had was: "I'm sorry I'm kind of in a funk right now; my friend is in hospital and I'm really worried about her." "She'll be fine, you'll see." Despite them not knowing what she was in hospital for (cancer) or having any medical training, they were able to give me a prognosis! Amazing!

It's very dismissive and patronising. Just freaking say, "I'm sorry to hear that" or something.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #12265 on: June 20, 2013, 12:25:12 PM »
Me:  My health insurance premium has gone up from $525 to $625, so I'd like to find a cheaper policy.

Agent finds me one for $450.  Yay!  But now...

Agent:  With the money you're saving, you can now buy <additional coverage that adds up to $625>.
Me:  No thanks, I don't want to spend $625.
Agent:  But you've saved $175.
Me:  No thanks, I'm trying to save money, not spend more than I already am.
Agent:  What about <other additional coverage that adds up to $625>?  Since you're saving money with the new policy.
Me: No thanks.

Today she emails me that the new health insurance policy for $450 has gone through and we're all set.

Agent:  And since you're saving $175 with the new policy, you should consider buying <third different additional coverage that adds up to $625>.

How many times do I have to tell you that I wanted a new health insurance policy because I DIDN'T WANT TO PAY $625?

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #12266 on: June 20, 2013, 12:59:16 PM »
Right now, people who complain just to hear themselves complain.

I have a relative who is never satisfied with the temperature of the house.  And any suggestions to help make it more comfortable (opening or closing windows, turning fans or off, turning on the A/C) are met with negative responses.  What do you want us to do about it then?

Snooks

« Reply #12267 on: June 20, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
2 pairs of jeans went kaput this week, the zip went on one pair, I can still do it up but I live in fear of it opening from the bottom up and the others ripped just above the knee.  This means I have to go jeans shopping which is possibly the worst type of shopping because apparently plain blue denim jeans are impossible to find now.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12268 on: June 20, 2013, 06:18:51 PM »
Co-workers who have decided they are in charge of all employees, including me. Stressed my boss out too, which is not helpful!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #12269 on: June 21, 2013, 04:56:22 AM »

Argh! Yes! This bugs me so much! When you tell someone about a situation and they immediately tell you the future, despite having only just heard about what's going on and knowing less about it than you do. The worst I've had was: "I'm sorry I'm kind of in a funk right now; my friend is in hospital and I'm really worried about her." "She'll be fine, you'll see." Despite them not knowing what she was in hospital for (cancer) or having any medical training, they were able to give me a prognosis! Amazing!

It's very dismissive and patronising. Just freaking say, "I'm sorry to hear that" or something.

YES! I'd much rather hear "Oh gosh, I hope everything turns out okay!" than "Ehhhh, it'll be fine." The first is concern; the second sounds a lot like "I don't want to give your worries any time or attention, so I'm going to dismiss them. Now let's talk about ME!"  ::) Even if that's not what is intended, that's what I tend to hear.
"Set aphasia to stun!"