Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1307546 times)

cwm

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12315 on: June 24, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
My poor friend has the hardest time finding clothes that fit. She's not a large girl (wears US12 pants, I think?), but has a tiny torso and a very large chest. Whereas most people have a full handwidth between their lowest floating rib and hip bones, she's got two fingers width. Add that to the extremely large chest (has to custom order undergarments for it, they just don't make them in her size) it's nearly impossible for her to find shirts that fit. If it fits the top half of her torso, it'll be loose and baggy on the bottom. If it fits on the bottom, it'll never fit over the top. She's given up on ever finding dress shirts she can wear, and it's hard for her to find dresses that don't have to be tailored.

My problem is that I am a bit larger around, but I'm quite short. It's hard for me to find pants that fit me without necessitating 4" heels to keep the ends from dragging around. I could have someone hem them, but nobody I know has a sewing machine that will handle denim right now, and doing it by hand is tedious and painful at best. I don't have any needles strong enough. So now I just roll all my pants legs and hope that they don't come undone.

Also, let me throw myself on the bandwagon of hating elastine in pants. I tend to wear jeans until I absolutely cannot any longer in good conscience before washing them, and being sensitive about my size and weight, it's always hard to get my jeans out of the wash and barely be able to fit into them again.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12316 on: June 24, 2013, 12:12:40 PM »
I'm not sure what elastine is, but are you talking about stretchy jeans like Angels brand?  I LOVE Angels jeans.  They fit me so so good, and the stretchiness makes them comfortable.  I can bend over, sit down, anything, and the jeans stretch with me and don't dig in anywhere.  Then, when I stand up, they look just the same as they did when I first put them on, not all stretched out and out of shape like regular denim jeans.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12317 on: June 24, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
I'm not sure what elastine is, but are you talking about stretchy jeans like Angels brand?  I LOVE Angels jeans.  They fit me so so good, and the stretchiness makes them comfortable.  I can bend over, sit down, anything, and the jeans stretch with me and don't dig in anywhere.  Then, when I stand up, they look just the same as they did when I first put them on, not all stretched out and out of shape like regular denim jeans.

Elastine is just another name for Spandex.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12318 on: June 24, 2013, 12:21:35 PM »

Oh.  I wouldn't wear Spandex pants if my life depended on it!  I don't think it looks good on very many people.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12319 on: June 24, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »
My poor friend has the hardest time finding clothes that fit. She's not a large girl (wears US12 pants, I think?), but has a tiny torso and a very large chest. Whereas most people have a full handwidth between their lowest floating rib and hip bones, she's got two fingers width. Add that to the extremely large chest (has to custom order undergarments for it, they just don't make them in her size) it's nearly impossible for her to find shirts that fit. If it fits the top half of her torso, it'll be loose and baggy on the bottom. If it fits on the bottom, it'll never fit over the top. She's given up on ever finding dress shirts she can wear, and it's hard for her to find dresses that don't have to be tailored.

My problem is that I am a bit larger around, but I'm quite short. It's hard for me to find pants that fit me without necessitating 4" heels to keep the ends from dragging around. I could have someone hem them, but nobody I know has a sewing machine that will handle denim right now, and doing it by hand is tedious and painful at best. I don't have any needles strong enough. So now I just roll all my pants legs and hope that they don't come undone.

Also, let me throw myself on the bandwagon of hating elastine in pants. I tend to wear jeans until I absolutely cannot any longer in good conscience before washing them, and being sensitive about my size and weight, it's always hard to get my jeans out of the wash and barely be able to fit into them again.

Your friend's tiny torso sounds like a major pain...low rise pants might be a good idea for her.  As for you, have you tried buying men's jeans?  They have this s crazy concept called inseam lengths listed on every single pair...I don't know why they cannot do that with women's pants.  I run into the same problem you do as I'm about 5'4".  Women's petites are about an  inch or so too short and averages are 4" too long.  It's a pain in the butt to hem all my pants.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12320 on: June 24, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »

Oh.  I wouldn't wear Spandex pants if my life depended on it!  I don't think it looks good on very many people.

They're not all spandex, most have only 1 or 2% spandex, just enough to give the pants some "give" I actually prefer them as I don't feel like my innards are being constricted like with no stretch denim.

nuit93

« Reply #12321 on: June 24, 2013, 12:31:37 PM »
Jumping on the jeans bandwagon...when will plus size manufacturers realize that not all 'plus size' women have curvy hips and bottoms and larger thighs?  For those of us who are apple shaped, pants cut like this fit like clown pants.  I have a round belly, no behind to speak of, no waist at all and thighs that are proportionately small compared to the rest of me.  If I get pants thare are comfortable around the waist, the legs are huge and look ridiculous; pants that fit in the legs won't fasten.  Even the jeans that are supposedly made for less curvy women only cut a little bit off the legs, and still assume more of a waist curve than I have.

I'll admit I have the opposite problem...I have a very full behind and thighs and a high waist AND my fave store (Lane Bryant) discontinued their "Right Fit" line...the only jeans that fit me!  I did find another brand in a secondhand store called Not Your Daughter's Jeans and they fit great, but they're super-pricey new.

Now, if only someone would make plus sized jeans with reinforced fabric in the inner thighs...I always wear that section out first!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12322 on: June 24, 2013, 12:31:38 PM »

They're not all spandex, most have only 1 or 2% spandex, just enough to give the pants some "give" I actually prefer them as I don't feel like my innards are being constricted like with no stretch denim.

Sounds like the Angels jeans I was talking about.  Couldn't live without them!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12323 on: June 24, 2013, 12:52:46 PM »
Today is garbage collection, so I have two:

One, people who open up my trash bags looking for aluminum cans.  You are a human being, not a freaking raccoon.  Things like this are a huge part of why I want to move out of this city.

Two, and this one is even worse: Our garbage collectors seem to think they're too good to empty our trash cans.  So right now, in the 90 degree heat, we have a 50 gallon can half full with unbagged trash.  The forecast for tonight is rain. Rain + trash + heat = stench stew.  Wat the #*$&# is going through their minds?  Keep in mind, also, that the bags in the trash can represented the ONLY trash we put out this week.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #12324 on: June 24, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »
When I discover which glorious arbiter of fashion decided that all women wanted to wear low rise trousers all the time, and basically caused there to be no other style available in any type of trouser in any shop, ever, I am going to... well, it won't be etiquette approved, is all I'm saying, and it may involve somebody giving me an alibi. They are not flattering on anybody aged more than about 14, or weighing more than about 6 stone, they are not comfortable, they are not suitable for anyone who is in any way active. I want a waistband on my waist, please. Nobody except my DH needs to see my knickers, and not always even him.
Or the people who decided that not only was it OK to show your bra straps, but that it was a fashion statement.  ::)   Call me old-fashioned, but it just looks so tacky.  ( :o Hey!  When did I turn into my grandmother?)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #12325 on: June 24, 2013, 01:36:44 PM »

One, people who open up my trash bags looking for aluminum cans.  You are a human being, not a freaking raccoon.  Things like this are a huge part of why I want to move out of this city.

Two, and this one is even worse: Our garbage collectors seem to think they're too good to empty our trash cans.  So right now, in the 90 degree heat, we have a 50 gallon can half full with unbagged trash.  The forecast for tonight is rain. Rain + trash + heat = stench stew.  Wat the #*$&# is going through their minds?  Keep in mind, also, that the bags in the trash can represented the ONLY trash we put out this week.
Call whoever is in charge of waste collection and insist that someone come out and pick it up.  Do this EVERY TIME that they don't bother picking up, daily if you have to, and soon there will be a note delivered to the collectors on your route to be sure not to miss you.  We had the same problem; we're at the end of a dead-end street, and the garbage/recycling collectors didn't want to back the truck all the way to the end.  The 4th or 5th time that a Public Works supervisor had to come out with a pickup truck and get our trash, the problem stopped.  You may have to get extremely firm, and take it up the line to the next level.  For us it was the county executive's office.  Yours may be the mayor.  It helps if you can provide exact dates when it was supposed to be picked up and wasn't. 
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12326 on: June 24, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »

Call whoever is in charge of waste collection and insist that someone come out and pick it up.  Do this EVERY TIME that they don't bother picking up, daily if you have to, and soon there will be a note delivered to the collectors on your route to be sure not to miss you.  We had the same problem; we're at the end of a dead-end street, and the garbage/recycling collectors didn't want to back the truck all the way to the end.  The 4th or 5th time that a Public Works supervisor had to come out with a pickup truck and get our trash, the problem stopped.  You may have to get extremely firm, and take it up the line to the next level.  For us it was the county executive's office.  Yours may be the mayor.  It helps if you can provide exact dates when it was supposed to be picked up and wasn't.

The city tore a house out next door to us and damaged our house in the process.  Ten years of phone calls got exactly squat done.  I don't have a lot of faith in this city's government.

cwm

« Reply #12327 on: June 24, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »
Jumping on the jeans bandwagon...when will plus size manufacturers realize that not all 'plus size' women have curvy hips and bottoms and larger thighs?  For those of us who are apple shaped, pants cut like this fit like clown pants.  I have a round belly, no behind to speak of, no waist at all and thighs that are proportionately small compared to the rest of me.  If I get pants thare are comfortable around the waist, the legs are huge and look ridiculous; pants that fit in the legs won't fasten.  Even the jeans that are supposedly made for less curvy women only cut a little bit off the legs, and still assume more of a waist curve than I have.

I'll admit I have the opposite problem...I have a very full behind and thighs and a high waist AND my fave store (Lane Bryant) discontinued their "Right Fit" line...the only jeans that fit me!  I did find another brand in a secondhand store called Not Your Daughter's Jeans and they fit great, but they're super-pricey new.

Now, if only someone would make plus sized jeans with reinforced fabric in the inner thighs...I always wear that section out first!

THIS EXACTLY! I can't tell you how many pairs of jeans I have that wear out there and nowhere else, and I can't wear them in public because there's this giant gaping hole between my thighs. My sister doesn't get it at all because she doesn't wear out that part of her jeans. Two of my FAVORITE pairs have just split, and I can't afford to go out and get patches right now, so I'm down to one pair that shrank in the wash (and it'll take some doing to get it to stretch out again, as it's tight enough that I can't sit in them) and one backup pair. That's it.

Also, sis suggested I could borrow a dress of hers for work last week. We had some people visiting and had to dress nice. I thanked her, but told her I would have to decline. I can't wear dresses without pants underneath, I'll get actual sores on my thighs from friction. No helping it. She's never in her life had that problem and thought I was making it up. No, I'm not. There's a reason I never wear skirts or dresses. It physically pains me for days afterward until it's all healed up.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12328 on: June 24, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
cwm, I have the same problem you do.  But I'm wearing a skirt today because it is so hot.  What I do is wear a pair of spandex/cotton tight fitting shorts underneath my skirts.  They keep my thighs from chafing.  Also helps minimize the need for a slip.

I used to have several pairs of them but I'm getting down.  Time for a trip out to look for some new ones in white, beige, grey and/or black, if I can find them.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12329 on: June 24, 2013, 03:03:17 PM »
I was going to suggest those. Target sells them in many colors and sizes here in the US.