Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1540728 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12330 on: June 24, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
When I discover which glorious arbiter of fashion decided that all women wanted to wear low rise trousers all the time, and basically caused there to be no other style available in any type of trouser in any shop, ever, I am going to... well, it won't be etiquette approved, is all I'm saying, and it may involve somebody giving me an alibi. They are not flattering on anybody aged more than about 14, or weighing more than about 6 stone, they are not comfortable, they are not suitable for anyone who is in any way active. I want a waistband on my waist, please. Nobody except my DH needs to see my knickers, and not always even him.
Or the people who decided that not only was it OK to show your bra straps, but that it was a fashion statement.  ::)   Call me old-fashioned, but it just looks so tacky.  ( :o Hey!  When did I turn into my grandmother?)

I remember that style in the 80's. It came back?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

nuit93

« Reply #12331 on: June 24, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
When I discover which glorious arbiter of fashion decided that all women wanted to wear low rise trousers all the time, and basically caused there to be no other style available in any type of trouser in any shop, ever, I am going to... well, it won't be etiquette approved, is all I'm saying, and it may involve somebody giving me an alibi. They are not flattering on anybody aged more than about 14, or weighing more than about 6 stone, they are not comfortable, they are not suitable for anyone who is in any way active. I want a waistband on my waist, please. Nobody except my DH needs to see my knickers, and not always even him.
Or the people who decided that not only was it OK to show your bra straps, but that it was a fashion statement.  ::)   Call me old-fashioned, but it just looks so tacky.  ( :o Hey!  When did I turn into my grandmother?)

I remember it in the late 90's.  I don't think it ever went away.

cwm

« Reply #12332 on: June 24, 2013, 03:52:40 PM »

I remember it in the late 90's.  I don't think it ever went away.

I used to work with a girl a few years ago. She'd come to work and change into her work shirt there. Under her work shirt would be a black bra (with straps) and a flimsy yellow tube top. It left absolutely nothing to the imagination. Managers had a few words with her about that, among other things.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12333 on: June 24, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »
cwm, I have the same problem you do.  But I'm wearing a skirt today because it is so hot.  What I do is wear a pair of spandex/cotton tight fitting shorts underneath my skirts.  They keep my thighs from chafing.  Also helps minimize the need for a slip.

I used to have several pairs of them but I'm getting down.  Time for a trip out to look for some new ones in white, beige, grey and/or black, if I can find them.

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Illusions-Womens-Cotton-Lace-Detail-Trouser-Slip/6359224/product.html

Just search for pettipants. This is what I wear for a slip. (I don't wear any see-through skirts.)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12334 on: June 24, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »
I'm probably posted this before but when I'm coming back from a truly great concert at Lincoln Center, the last thing I need is to be subjected to bad punk percussion by a beggar.  In the subway car where one is a captive audience.

Snooks

« Reply #12335 on: June 24, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
My poor friend has the hardest time finding clothes that fit. She's not a large girl (wears US12 pants, I think?), but has a tiny torso and a very large chest. Whereas most people have a full handwidth between their lowest floating rib and hip bones, she's got two fingers width. Add that to the extremely large chest (has to custom order undergarments for it, they just don't make them in her size) it's nearly impossible for her to find shirts that fit. If it fits the top half of her torso, it'll be loose and baggy on the bottom. If it fits on the bottom, it'll never fit over the top. She's given up on ever finding dress shirts she can wear, and it's hard for her to find dresses that don't have to be tailored.

My problem is that I am a bit larger around, but I'm quite short. It's hard for me to find pants that fit me without necessitating 4" heels to keep the ends from dragging around. I could have someone hem them, but nobody I know has a sewing machine that will handle denim right now, and doing it by hand is tedious and painful at best. I don't have any needles strong enough. So now I just roll all my pants legs and hope that they don't come undone.

Also, let me throw myself on the bandwagon of hating elastine in pants. I tend to wear jeans until I absolutely cannot any longer in good conscience before washing them, and being sensitive about my size and weight, it's always hard to get my jeans out of the wash and barely be able to fit into them again.

Your friend's tiny torso sounds like a major pain...low rise pants might be a good idea for her.  As for you, have you tried buying men's jeans?  They have this s crazy concept called inseam lengths listed on every single pair...I don't know why they cannot do that with women's pants.  I run into the same problem you do as I'm about 5'4".  Women's petites are about an  inch or so too short and averages are 4" too long.  It's a pain in the butt to hem all my pants.

At 5'8 I have that problem with regular and long.  Long flap around my feet, regular swing around my ankles.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #12336 on: June 24, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »
My problem is that I'm 5'3" tall, with a lot of that in my torso and a long rise. A 28-inch inseam works, a quarter inch shorter is even better. But I can't wear petites because they have too little room from waist to crotch.

Once in a while, I find a manufacturer that offers pants in short, medium, and tall, as distinct from petite/regular. Otherwise I grumble, look for something that fits, and pay someone to shorten them, which means that the only pants I have that I could honestly call inexpensive are the ones that were hand-me-downs from a friend (I'd lost weight and she'd gained), so the tailoring was the only expense.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #12337 on: June 24, 2013, 05:57:51 PM »
I posted the "Help me save violet thread."

What drives me up the wall are kids toys that are "damp sponge clean only."
Babies drool, they spit milk, they are sick and have many other icky fluids that come out of them.

So just a thought to any budding "Stu Pickles" out there... when you make a plush toy that has electrics you can't get wet, at the very least scotch guard the inside of the fabric "skin" so that when the inevitable hits it. it can't soak in to the foamy inside thus making "Sponge Clean only" a futile direction.

If anyone would like to know, Violet is in "the intensive drying room" being treated after a delicate and seemingly successful head only bath.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12338 on: June 24, 2013, 05:58:59 PM »
We close our office at 5. I do not understand why the office manager wants to lock the door before 5. We have students that come in and out of our office and a new boss. It does not add to the professional image we are supposed to project. Just repeating, one more year, over and over.

mmswm

« Reply #12339 on: June 24, 2013, 06:02:56 PM »
I am 5'8" but all torso. Petite pants have the right inseam but not enough from crotch to waist. Regular length pants go down to mt toes. I either have Ro wear three inch heels or get them tailored but I'm never happy with the way jeans get hemmed.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12340 on: June 25, 2013, 03:46:43 PM »
My problem is that I'm 5'3" tall, with a lot of that in my torso and a long rise. A 28-inch inseam works, a quarter inch shorter is even better. But I can't wear petites because they have too little room from waist to crotch.

Once in a while, I find a manufacturer that offers pants in short, medium, and tall, as distinct from petite/regular. Otherwise I grumble, look for something that fits, and pay someone to shorten them, which means that the only pants I have that I could honestly call inexpensive are the ones that were hand-me-downs from a friend (I'd lost weight and she'd gained), so the tailoring was the only expense.

I'm 2.5 inches taller but have the same problem. All my length is in my torso, and my inseam is 29.5, so many short length pants, which are 29" are a smidge too short, and regular are several inches too long!  I'm also a bit too fluffy to wear petites, but even if I wasn't, the rise is too short.   I did however, find some nice cotton twill pants from Gloria Vanderbilt at Kohls last spring, and the regular length is just right for me and they're long enough in the waist and rise.

Being long-waisted has its other challenges too. LIke dresses with any kind of waistband, which ends up hitting me just under the girls, rather than on my waist. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12341 on: June 25, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »
Most pants run with an even numbered inseam here.  So the 30" inseam tends to swing around my ankles and the 32" inseam tends to drag on the ground at the heel.   ::)  I once found a pair in a 31" inseam.  They were MINE, I tell you.   :D

For those of you who can sew, I learned the correct way to shorten jeans/heavy material with a finished hem at the bottom.  Rather than cut them off at the bottom and re-hem them, you actually take the length out just above the finished hem stitching so you have a second, nearly invisible seam just above the original hem and it isn't nearly so noticeable.  Now if I could just manage to do that myself...  I need to take a sewing lesson or three again.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hillia

« Reply #12342 on: June 25, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »
People who complain bitterly about the unfairness of it all when unfortunate consequences to their actions are guaranteed.

Warning: pet death
My BIL is ranting all over FB (seriously, multiple posts a day) about how he hates God and God is unfair because his cat, which he allowed to play unsupervised in a rural area known to be heavily populated with coyotes, hawks, owls, rattlesnakes, etc, was killed by one of these predators.  They've lost uncounted numbers of semi-feral cats and kittens over the years to the local fauna with nary a twitch on his part, but because he had bonded somehow with this last cat, it is the most unjust thing to ever happen.  Well, it was, actually - to the cat, who wasn't protected by the people she trusted.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #12343 on: June 25, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
I have now discovered that every clothes manufacturer in the UK got together and decided that women's jeans must have elastane in them.  I hate elastane in jeans, they never fit me properly and I'd far rather have a few uncomfy days to get some nicely broken in jeans than jeans I'm constantly tugging at.  To add insult to injury no-one sells what I would call "denim blue" jeans any more.  I'm seriously considering trying some men's jeans.

I love buying men's jeans. They're low rise, but not too low, and the sizing makes sense. I just wish Steve & Barry's didn't close down. They had the best jeans. The women's were way too short and oddly shaped, but the men's ones were great quality and fit me great. I find that men's dress pants don't really work on my shape, though, dissapointingly.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

cwm

« Reply #12344 on: June 25, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »
People who complain bitterly about the unfairness of it all when unfortunate consequences to their actions are guaranteed.

Warning: pet death
My BIL is ranting all over FB (seriously, multiple posts a day) about how he hates God and God is unfair because his cat, which he allowed to play unsupervised in a rural area known to be heavily populated with coyotes, hawks, owls, rattlesnakes, etc, was killed by one of these predators.  They've lost uncounted numbers of semi-feral cats and kittens over the years to the local fauna with nary a twitch on his part, but because he had bonded somehow with this last cat, it is the most unjust thing to ever happen.  Well, it was, actually - to the cat, who wasn't protected by the people she trusted.

Grr...people like that make me mad. I can see some people who actually have reason to be upset, but not him.

Same warning as above.
When I worked at the grooming salon, I knew a customer who lost two small dogs within a month. The first one they let into their backyard unsupervised to do his business, he was eaten by either a coyote or mountain lion, they're not sure which. The second dog they always kept on a leash. He had his dog on a leash and was walking it outside, the dog ducked under a bush and was killed by a coyote that was hiding under there. THAT is a situation where you can rail at FB about the situation being unfair. Not your BIL's. Big difference.