Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1858757 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12345 on: June 25, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »
cwm, I have the same problem you do.  But I'm wearing a skirt today because it is so hot.  What I do is wear a pair of spandex/cotton tight fitting shorts underneath my skirts.  They keep my thighs from chafing.  Also helps minimize the need for a slip.

I used to have several pairs of them but I'm getting down.  Time for a trip out to look for some new ones in white, beige, grey and/or black, if I can find them.

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Illusions-Womens-Cotton-Lace-Detail-Trouser-Slip/6359224/product.html

Just search for pettipants. This is what I wear for a slip. (I don't wear any see-through skirts.)

Bloomers! My mom made me a few pair like these; they're great. I think Wulfie was asking where to find them quite a while ago, but since mine were handmade i didn't know what to tell her. Luci, you are the WoMan!

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Shalamar

« Reply #12346 on: June 25, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
I may have mentioned my co-worker who furiously bangs her mouse on her desk when she's frustrated (no word of a lie, she did this twenty times in a row the other day.  All I could hear was "BANGBANGBANGBANGBANG".)  One of my co-worker buddies, who also sits close to her, told her pleasantly today that if she didn't stop doing that, he'd glue her mouse to her desk.  Alas, she chose to believe that he was joking.  Sigh.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #12347 on: June 25, 2013, 05:56:55 PM »
I may have mentioned my co-worker who furiously bangs her mouse on her desk when she's frustrated (no word of a lie, she did this twenty times in a row the other day.  All I could hear was "BANGBANGBANGBANGBANG".)  One of my co-worker buddies, who also sits close to her, told her pleasantly today that if she didn't stop doing that, he'd glue her mouse to her desk.  Alas, she chose to believe that he was joking.  Sigh.

We insist on photos when he follows through!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12348 on: June 25, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »
Your friend's tiny torso sounds like a major pain...low rise pants might be a good idea for her.  As for you, have you tried buying men's jeans?  They have this s crazy concept called inseam lengths listed on every single pair...I don't know why they cannot do that with women's pants.  I run into the same problem you do as I'm about 5'4".  Women's petites are about an  inch or so too short and averages are 4" too long.  It's a pain in the butt to hem all my pants.

At 5'1" all my height is in my legs. I need petite pants so the waist band doesn't come up to my ribs but they're all high waters. I end up wearing skinny cut pants which look cute slightly above the ankle with ballet flats and are hidden when I wear boots. Sometimes I wish I could wear pants with a different cut but alterations are out of my budget.

nayberry

« Reply #12349 on: June 26, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »
I have now discovered that every clothes manufacturer in the UK got together and decided that women's jeans must have elastane in them.  I hate elastane in jeans, they never fit me properly and I'd far rather have a few uncomfy days to get some nicely broken in jeans than jeans I'm constantly tugging at.  To add insult to injury no-one sells what I would call "denim blue" jeans any more.  I'm seriously considering trying some men's jeans.

Snooks, try Primark mens regular fit,  i can't get anything else as comfy as these, waist at a normal waist height, leg lengths and last time i bought them only 8!!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12350 on: June 26, 2013, 04:03:40 PM »
A young waitress who, after bringing the credit card and bill back to the table, stood next to the table with her head cocked. I guess she planned to watch how much tip was jotted down. She had to be told "Oh, thank you, we'll be with you in a minute or two." Oddly enough, there was another waitress like that at a different restaurant weeks ago. I don't know if it's their particular age group or lack of training from the restaurants, but it's very offputting.   

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12351 on: June 27, 2013, 08:00:26 AM »
A young waitress who, after bringing the credit card and bill back to the table, stood next to the table with her head cocked. I guess she planned to watch how much tip was jotted down. She had to be told "Oh, thank you, we'll be with you in a minute or two." Oddly enough, there was another waitress like that at a different restaurant weeks ago. I don't know if it's their particular age group or lack of training from the restaurants, but it's very offputting.

Oh that's annoying. I'd be tempted to cover the bill while I wrote, like kids do in school to keep from other kids copying from them!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12352 on: June 27, 2013, 08:13:33 AM »
A couple things that happened at work last night. Its our big sale, which means all the whackadoodles come out of the woodwork.  Driving us all crazy with inane questions, and so on.

First one: HUGE pet peeve of mine, no matter who does it or where.  Phone rings, and its one of three calls I'm trying to field. I answer, thank you for calling my store and identify myself, blah, blah, blah. "Oh, where am I calling? and who is this?" so I repeat myself. "Oh, someone from there called me?" I hate when people do that.  So I put her on hold, but before I could ask my CW in another area, she hung up. So I asked CW, and yes, it was her who called the customer but LEFT A MESSAGE. Apparetnly customer couldn't be bothered to listen to it, and simply saw the number on her caller id.

Second one: we frequently will call other stores to see if they have an item we don't have, and vice versa. I had a call the other night, from another store, for an item. I looked but while we had it, we did not have the size they wanted. So I told her so. "Oh, really?" Yes really, if I had it, I would have told you.

Third one: Customers who give me a VISA or MC gift card, and then question the amount left on it. Um, all I can do is swipe it, you used it, so I really have no control over how much is left on it vs how much you THINK is left. And they're lucky we can do this now. When I started, we could only use them if they knew exactly how much was on it, as we had to key in the amount or it would decline.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12353 on: June 27, 2013, 08:15:46 AM »
I'm on a roll toady :)  This is just one of my quirks, but light switch toggles that aren't in the correct "position"

I have a light at the top of my stairs, right outside my apt door. There's a switch at the bottom, which I flip up to turn on, when I come home, and a second one inside my apt, which i then flip down, to turn off. Every now and then I don't turn it on, and the switch then is in the up position, but the light is off. If that makes any sense. And that makes me nuts because when a light is off, the switch should be down.

Pen^2

« Reply #12354 on: June 27, 2013, 08:18:15 AM »

I had a company ask for 'anonymous' feedback from me like this once. The guy handed me the form and just stood there, waiting to see what I would write. I declined to give feedback because even if he left, I was sure he'd just read it afterwards, or fold the corner or something. Kind of like this: http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/20000/8000/600/28638/28638.strip.sunday.gif

I instead rang the company and gave them feedback (including on their feedback services) directly.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12355 on: June 27, 2013, 08:40:22 AM »
I'm on a roll toady :)  This is just one of my quirks, but light switch toggles that aren't in the correct "position"

I have a light at the top of my stairs, right outside my apt door. There's a switch at the bottom, which I flip up to turn on, when I come home, and a second one inside my apt, which i then flip down, to turn off. Every now and then I don't turn it on, and the switch then is in the up position, but the light is off. If that makes any sense. And that makes me nuts because when a light is off, the switch should be down.

It makes sense.  We have a switch at the bottom of our stairs that turns on the ugly as sin lamp that hangs over them.  Then at the top of the stairs, outside the first door on the right, there's another switch which controls the same light.  So if you flip it up at the bottom to go up and then flip it down at the top to turn it off, the switch at the bottom is now in the up position.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12356 on: June 27, 2013, 08:53:16 AM »

Oh that's annoying. I'd be tempted to cover the bill while I wrote, like kids do in school to keep from other kids copying from them!

I'd be tempted to tell her that the longer she stood over my shoulder, watching me, the lower her tip would be.  I hate that!  Here in Canada, they have a portable machine that they bring right to the table to run your card right in front of you.  It will print out the receipt and everything.  You key in your tip on the machine.  I love it, except when the server does the same thing - standing right there, watching me key in the tip amount.  Most cards require a pin now, though, so most servers have gotten better about standing back a little.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12357 on: June 27, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »

It makes sense.  We have a switch at the bottom of our stairs that turns on the ugly as sin lamp that hangs over them.  Then at the top of the stairs, outside the first door on the right, there's another switch which controls the same light.  So if you flip it up at the bottom to go up and then flip it down at the top to turn it off, the switch at the bottom is now in the up position.

YES, and since i don't see it, it doesn't bother me. and when i leave, i flip the one inside up to turn it on, and then down as i leave, to turn it off again. I've alwaysbeen bothred by wrong way lightswitches.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12358 on: June 27, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
The long list of cosmetic changes I'd love to make to this house and the lack of moola to do them all.  New curtains, prime and paint over the wallpaper under the wainscoating in the hallway and in the stairs.  New carpet in every room.  The only room to have new carpeting in it is my eldest son's and that's because my IL's did that for his birthday present and because the room is in the basement and had a cement floor up till last Friday. 

The curtains and painting not nearly as big a thing but carpeting ain't cheap and our living room carpet is in terrible shape. Was before we moved in and with cats playing with where it's unraveling, it hasn't gotten better.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #12359 on: June 27, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »
Hey, Piratelvr, are you me?  That's exactly what I hate about my house.  It used to be a showhome in 1999, but boy, it hasn't looked like a showhome in years - and the livingroom carpet is in the worst shape.  Big bare patches where the cats have torn it to shreds, plus a lot of stains because it's simply not worth cleaning it when it's already looking so awful.  If I won, say, $15,000 on the lottery, that's where it'd go.  Gotta keep saving our pennies.