News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 09:33:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5484416 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12240 on: June 27, 2013, 07:13:33 AM »
A couple things that happened at work last night. Its our big sale, which means all the whackadoodles come out of the woodwork.  Driving us all crazy with inane questions, and so on.

First one: HUGE pet peeve of mine, no matter who does it or where.  Phone rings, and its one of three calls I'm trying to field. I answer, thank you for calling my store and identify myself, blah, blah, blah. "Oh, where am I calling? and who is this?" so I repeat myself. "Oh, someone from there called me?" I hate when people do that.  So I put her on hold, but before I could ask my CW in another area, she hung up. So I asked CW, and yes, it was her who called the customer but LEFT A MESSAGE. Apparetnly customer couldn't be bothered to listen to it, and simply saw the number on her caller id.

Second one: we frequently will call other stores to see if they have an item we don't have, and vice versa. I had a call the other night, from another store, for an item. I looked but while we had it, we did not have the size they wanted. So I told her so. "Oh, really?" Yes really, if I had it, I would have told you.

Third one: Customers who give me a VISA or MC gift card, and then question the amount left on it. Um, all I can do is swipe it, you used it, so I really have no control over how much is left on it vs how much you THINK is left. And they're lucky we can do this now. When I started, we could only use them if they knew exactly how much was on it, as we had to key in the amount or it would decline.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #12241 on: June 27, 2013, 07:15:46 AM »
I'm on a roll toady :)  This is just one of my quirks, but light switch toggles that aren't in the correct "position"

I have a light at the top of my stairs, right outside my apt door. There's a switch at the bottom, which I flip up to turn on, when I come home, and a second one inside my apt, which i then flip down, to turn off. Every now and then I don't turn it on, and the switch then is in the up position, but the light is off. If that makes any sense. And that makes me nuts because when a light is off, the switch should be down.

Pen^2

« Reply #12242 on: June 27, 2013, 07:18:15 AM »
A young waitress who, after bringing the credit card and bill back to the table, stood next to the table with her head cocked. I guess she planned to watch how much tip was jotted down. She had to be told "Oh, thank you, we'll be with you in a minute or two." Oddly enough, there was another waitress like that at a different restaurant weeks ago. I don't know if it's their particular age group or lack of training from the restaurants, but it's very offputting.

I had a company ask for 'anonymous' feedback from me like this once. The guy handed me the form and just stood there, waiting to see what I would write. I declined to give feedback because even if he left, I was sure he'd just read it afterwards, or fold the corner or something. Kind of like this: http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/20000/8000/600/28638/28638.strip.sunday.gif

I instead rang the company and gave them feedback (including on their feedback services) directly.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #12243 on: June 27, 2013, 07:40:22 AM »
I'm on a roll toady :)  This is just one of my quirks, but light switch toggles that aren't in the correct "position"

I have a light at the top of my stairs, right outside my apt door. There's a switch at the bottom, which I flip up to turn on, when I come home, and a second one inside my apt, which i then flip down, to turn off. Every now and then I don't turn it on, and the switch then is in the up position, but the light is off. If that makes any sense. And that makes me nuts because when a light is off, the switch should be down.

It makes sense.  We have a switch at the bottom of our stairs that turns on the ugly as sin lamp that hangs over them.  Then at the top of the stairs, outside the first door on the right, there's another switch which controls the same light.  So if you flip it up at the bottom to go up and then flip it down at the top to turn it off, the switch at the bottom is now in the up position.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #12244 on: June 27, 2013, 07:53:16 AM »
A young waitress who, after bringing the credit card and bill back to the table, stood next to the table with her head cocked. I guess she planned to watch how much tip was jotted down. She had to be told "Oh, thank you, we'll be with you in a minute or two." Oddly enough, there was another waitress like that at a different restaurant weeks ago. I don't know if it's their particular age group or lack of training from the restaurants, but it's very offputting.

Oh that's annoying. I'd be tempted to cover the bill while I wrote, like kids do in school to keep from other kids copying from them!

I'd be tempted to tell her that the longer she stood over my shoulder, watching me, the lower her tip would be.  I hate that!  Here in Canada, they have a portable machine that they bring right to the table to run your card right in front of you.  It will print out the receipt and everything.  You key in your tip on the machine.  I love it, except when the server does the same thing - standing right there, watching me key in the tip amount.  Most cards require a pin now, though, so most servers have gotten better about standing back a little.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

« Reply #12245 on: June 27, 2013, 08:22:20 AM »

It makes sense.  We have a switch at the bottom of our stairs that turns on the ugly as sin lamp that hangs over them.  Then at the top of the stairs, outside the first door on the right, there's another switch which controls the same light.  So if you flip it up at the bottom to go up and then flip it down at the top to turn it off, the switch at the bottom is now in the up position.

YES, and since i don't see it, it doesn't bother me. and when i leave, i flip the one inside up to turn it on, and then down as i leave, to turn it off again. I've alwaysbeen bothred by wrong way lightswitches.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #12246 on: June 27, 2013, 08:44:05 AM »
The long list of cosmetic changes I'd love to make to this house and the lack of moola to do them all.  New curtains, prime and paint over the wallpaper under the wainscoating in the hallway and in the stairs.  New carpet in every room.  The only room to have new carpeting in it is my eldest son's and that's because my IL's did that for his birthday present and because the room is in the basement and had a cement floor up till last Friday. 

The curtains and painting not nearly as big a thing but carpeting ain't cheap and our living room carpet is in terrible shape. Was before we moved in and with cats playing with where it's unraveling, it hasn't gotten better.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kate

« Reply #12247 on: June 27, 2013, 02:46:58 PM »
Radio/TV news announcers, usually female, with overly happy perky voices who can't or won't adjust their tone to announce serious/sad/tragic/ news. I just cant handle it, just now turned radio off for that very reason.

Kate

« Reply #12248 on: June 27, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »
The elastic jean posts have triggered my favorite rant:  Why do clothing manufacturers think that plus-size women have to have spandex in their clothing?  Be it tops or pants, almost everything at The Avenue or Lane Bryant has spandex.  Spandex on almost any woman just emphasizes every bit of fat and cellulite and makes us look like we're wearing two sizes too small.
Actually I love spandex added to jeans and blouses and I am plus size. I just make sure I choose a size big enough that fat rolls and cellulite are camoflauged...I love being able to bend, squat, stretch without feeling restricted.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #12249 on: June 27, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »
Hey, Piratelvr, are you me?  That's exactly what I hate about my house.  It used to be a showhome in 1999, but boy, it hasn't looked like a showhome in years - and the livingroom carpet is in the worst shape.  Big bare patches where the cats have torn it to shreds, plus a lot of stains because it's simply not worth cleaning it when it's already looking so awful.  If I won, say, $15,000 on the lottery, that's where it'd go.  Gotta keep saving our pennies.

Our house is a 1925 3 (well 4, now) bedroom house, and it has the beautiful woodwork of the time period.  I've mentioned before, on this forum, that when we first walked into the house, the Spirit of 76 wallpaper in the living room was the first thing we saw and all the other wallpaper is also VERY 70's, and the tiling on the kitchen table, counters, backsplashes and bathroom floors are done in a reddish tan tiling.  And the light switches in the living room had bald eagles on them, as did the wooden box valances over the windows.   And oh, the master bedroom? Had this dark 70's paneling along one wall.  I've primed and painted over it now.  There's also some in two of the other bedrooms but only a half wall.  For the babe's room I painted it a navy blue for a nautical theme but unfortunately the carpet is this combo of all the colors of the 70's. Not terribly nautical. 

I want to make it look more timeless and really would like to make the whole house in a nautical theme but we'll get there...eventually.

cwm

« Reply #12250 on: June 27, 2013, 03:38:31 PM »
When you write a four paragraph long post about things that drive you up the wall, but realize it's venting and have to navigate away from the page without posting. Because it was petty and I was venting. Still. All that effort for nothing...

Luci

« Reply #12251 on: June 27, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »
When you write a four paragraph long post about things that drive you up the wall, but realize it's venting and have to navigate away from the page without posting. Because it was petty and I was venting. Still. All that effort for nothing...

Actually, I do that a lot. Then I proof what I've written, then I back out without posting it. It does make me feel better, sometimes. It's the old 'write a letter and tear it up therapy' and nobody can dispute what I've thought.  ;D

Guess I'll post this one!

Hillia

« Reply #12252 on: June 27, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »
A former fellow student (Bob) from the technical school DH attended recently applied for a job at DH's company.  When asked, DH gave an honest appraisal of Bob which was a factor in his being hired.  DH also contacted Bob before his interview to give him some tips on the interviewers likes/dislikes, and referred him to the rental agency where we rented our first house up here. In exchange, Bob joins in some pretty heavy handed ribbing (goes beyond good natured 'shop' teasing), refuses to take direction from DH on shop procedures (which he is supposed to do) and is just being a jerk in general.  Way to return a favor, buddy. Hope you don't need anything else anytime soon.

Thipu1

« Reply #12253 on: June 27, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »
Mr. Thipu's tendency to overplan everything.

Tonight, we're going to see the Ballet Trokadero de Monte Carlo.  You would think we were going to be in an episode of 'Ice Road Truckers'. 

He has to find the proper pair of binoculars.

The folding chairs must be certified as structurally sound. 

New batteries must be put in the flashlights. 

He's not sure we have enough insect repellent. 

He's put bottles of water in the freezer so we shouldn't die of dehydration. 

A cooler and ice packs of appropriate size must be found to accommodate the water.

He's been using Google Earth to scout proper escape routes in case of dangerous weather. 

The program is in the park.  It's a five minute walk away from our home. 

'RELAX!!!!' she screams at the top of her voice. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12254 on: June 27, 2013, 05:23:30 PM »
Mr. Thipu's tendency to overplan everything.

Tonight, we're going to see the Ballet Trokadero de Monte Carlo.  You would think we were going to be in an episode of 'Ice Road Truckers'. 

He has to find the proper pair of binoculars.

The folding chairs must be certified as structurally sound. 

New batteries must be put in the flashlights. 

He's not sure we have enough insect repellent. 

He's put bottles of water in the freezer so we shouldn't die of dehydration. 

A cooler and ice packs of appropriate size must be found to accommodate the water.

He's been using Google Earth to scout proper escape routes in case of dangerous weather. 

The program is in the park.  It's a five minute walk away from our home. 

'RELAX!!!!' she screams at the top of her voice.

Your husband is my overpacking / over preparing twin. I admit to  having a mental earthquake exit plan for my work building, even though an earthquake hasn't hit here since 1900. I am such a dork  :-X