Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1826739 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12375 on: June 28, 2013, 11:09:03 AM »
A full variety of batteries must be brought along.

Are you flying? Because there are specific rules about carrying spare batteries by air, particularly lithium batteries.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

missanpan

« Reply #12376 on: June 28, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »
Tightly packed paper towel dispensers in the restrooms. I end up either ripping off small, unusable pieces or large amount of towels come out and flop into the trash below. Then, with the second scenario, I feel guilty about wasting all that paper.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12377 on: June 28, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
How about the toilet paper rolls that are shoved on the metal piece so that they don't spin at ALL and you  have to unroll it by hand?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12378 on: June 28, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
Or discovering that the previous user didn't flush?

I'm going to suggest to my local Starbucks that they get a sign for the back of their restroom door requesting that people flush.

MrTango

« Reply #12379 on: June 28, 2013, 12:25:06 PM »
How about the toilet paper rolls that are shoved on the metal piece so that they don't spin at ALL and you  have to unroll it by hand?

Or the multiple roll dispensers that aren't designed with enough space for the 2nd roll to spin properly unless you rip the cardboard tube off the empty first roll.

My kitchen has a paper towel dispenser that is spring-loaded with a part that stops the roll from spinning more than 2x around.  That means that with a new roll, it spins enough to tear off 3 sheets, but near the end of the roll, I can barely get it to spin enough for 1 sheet.

cwm

« Reply #12380 on: June 28, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
Automatic sinks where the water stops spraying after two seconds. I'm sorry, that isn't nearly enough water to rinse off all the soap. And I have NO IDEA where the sensor is, so I'm waving my hands around trying to figure out how to get it running again, looking like a fool.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12381 on: June 28, 2013, 12:59:51 PM »
Automatic sinks where the water stops spraying after two seconds. I'm sorry, that isn't nearly enough water to rinse off all the soap. And I have NO IDEA where the sensor is, so I'm waving my hands around trying to figure out how to get it running again, looking like a fool.

That's me, too. It's embarrassing when you get  ::) looks.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12382 on: June 28, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
The sensor is usually at the base of the tap, just above where it joins the ceramic of the sink.  Most of the time, we hold our hands right under the tap.  Try holding your hands lower down and you should trigger the sensor better.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12383 on: June 28, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
How about the ones with the push down controls for hot and cold, and then you have to push them down again when your hands are soapy.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cwm

« Reply #12384 on: June 28, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »
How about the ones with the push down controls for hot and cold, and then you have to push them down again when your hands are soapy.

Those I don't mind, I can push them with my elbows. I actually usually push them with my forearms to begin with because my wrists end up being so bad that it hurts otherwise.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12385 on: June 29, 2013, 09:20:34 AM »
A full variety of batteries must be brought along.

Are you flying? Because there are specific rules about carrying spare batteries by air, particularly lithium batteries.

This isn't a problem for us.  When we fly on vacation, it's usually to a city such as London, Barcelona or Rome and stay a few days before taking a ship back to the USA. Part of our routine is to make a provision stop at a pharmacy for batteries, tooth paste and the like. 

jilly

« Reply #12386 on: June 29, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »
drivers who quickly nip out in front of you almost but not quite cutting you up when there is no traffic behind you and then barely get above 1/2 the speed limit. 35mph on a strait flat road with a limit of 60mph is too slow (unless you are a learner), and breaking for oncoming traffic (but still on their side of the road) arrggghhhh...... busses can easily pass each other you are not driving a tank move!!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12387 on: June 29, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »
I went to a restaurant with my parents. The owner randomly said "You work at XYZ Store, right ?" I thought "Huh, how did you know that ? I've never mentioned it to you before." Then he said "My wife and I see you there working, but you never say hi to us. We figure you're busy working and we don't want to bother you." Which is untrue. He and his wife have never approached me at work. They're very distinctive looking people and I'd notice if they were standing in front of me. Plus I'd never ignore someone saying "hi", whether I know them or not  :o I don't appreciate him trying to give my parents a poor impression of me

How is that untrue?

He said they see you--he never said *you* see them.

In fact, he said they deliberately never approach you because *they figure* you're busy and *they don't want* to interrupt you while you're at work--which is very honorable of them, actually. They didn't say, "you always look so busy and unapproachable." He said, "we see you but we deliberately don't interact with you out of consideration."

And so maybe they see you at a distance, so of course you don't remember them being there. After all, they're deliberately *not* "standing in front of" you.

And he said nothing about how *often* they are in there. Maybe once a month, who knows.

I don't know why you think they made you look bad in front of your parents! They made themselves look like respectful people.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #12388 on: June 29, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »
DH being "Mr Fix It".

He doesn't have all the information, but insists on telling me how to solve tech/personal/whatever problems.  It's doesn't matter to him that I've tried a bunch of stuff, it doesn't matter that sometimes there is no fix and I just need to express my frustration or unhappiness.  I've asked him not to do it, begged him not to do it, given him books to read and even taken him to therapy.

I just want him to be nice!

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12389 on: June 29, 2013, 01:38:33 PM »
Myself, for never learning in 40+ years of cats that the first rule is: The more you spend on a cat bed, the greater the chance the cat will 1) sleep in a box, 2) sleep on the floor in a spot with no redeeming features whatsoever, and 3) completely ignore the bed.