Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1735230 times)

daen

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12465 on: July 06, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »
I cannot stand seeing the phrase "hence why" as in "the printer was down, hence why I wrote out my shopping list"

why is unnecessary!!! And I see it a LOT on the internet :'(

I think "hence" and "hence why" are two different phrases.  The first is when it is a logical conclusion.  The second is used in a sarcastic way when if the person had just been paying attention, the logical conclusion would have been obvious.

"This is broken.  Hence I pulled out my scissors to fix it."

versus

"This is broken, let me pull out my scissors."
"You can't use that, it's broken."
"Yes, hence why I just pulled out my scissors."

It is still grammatically incorrect. If emphasis is needed, then "hence this is why" should be the phrase, not "hence why", which is blatantly wrong. Even "hence this is why" is largely redundant, but at least correct.

What annoys me more is when people say, "I could care less." The first few times I read it (I've only ever seen it online), I assumed it was a typo. Now I've learnt that some people actually just don't understand what they're typing. Every time I read it I have to translate it to its opposite in my head.

I've taken to using "I could care less" on occasion when it is possible that I could care less, but not by much. I see it as one degree of disdain less than "I couldn't care less."
However, when I use the phrase on its own, it's always spoken, and there's a slight emphasis on the word "could," with  a fading off:
"I could care less..."

If it's written, I add a modifier, like "... but it would require heavy equipment."

(Count me as another who thinks "hence why" is ridiculous,  "hence, this is why" is redundant , and that both versions should vanish permanently.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12466 on: July 06, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »
'I could care less?' must be presented with a true NYC attitude that makes it clear that the speaker COULDN'T care less. 

Think of Mel Brooks.  Lift your shoulders and lean a bit forward.  Widen your eyes.  Spread your arms wide and spread your hands. 

'I could care less?' must be said at a slightly louder volume than the speaker's usual tone of voice.  The questioning lift at the end of the sentence puts across the speaker's meaning. 

If you want to be a bit more subtle when you do this, you can do it in the 'Godfather' style.  Sit back in your chair and exhale a light sigh.  Wave a hand somewhat feebly and say, 'I could care less.' in a flat tone.  This method will also get the message across. 

In many idioms, body language can be everything.

Dawse

« Reply #12467 on: July 06, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »
It drives me CRAZY when people ask me something like 'Can you tell me where the toilets are?' Yes, I CAN tell you. Whether I WILL is a different question. I have no idea why this annoys me so much as, in context, they're pretty much the same question.

What also annoys me to a slightly greater degree is when, at work, clearly working (say, behind the bar in uniform pulling a pint) someone asks me 'Do you know where the toilets are?' No, I have no idea, I just work here ::). Again, minor, but incredibly, INCREDIBLY irritating to me. Maybe partly because there is a reasonably obvious sign people have to walk past to get to me at the bar to ask their question, and despite said sign, I get asked that question what feels like a thousand times a day. One day I'm going to crack and give someone a very sarcastic answer and then probably get into trouble. (I think maybe it might be time to start looking for a new job. ::))

And add me to the people who hate it when someone says or types 'I could care less.' Even if there's a particular way to say it that gets your point across, to me, it's just WRONG and makes my hackles rise every time. And when someone does something 'by purpose'. NO, you do something ON purpose, or BY accident, or even 'with purpose', or purposefully, or in a purposeful manner. Just not by purpose. (Again with the hackles.) And there are others that really irritate me, but I'm going to stop now or I shall annoy myself  ;D

(It also slightly annoys me just how much I let these really quite minor things annoy me, as I'm aware they don't matter really, but that's a vicious cycle and we won't go there.)
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

diesel_darlin

« Reply #12468 on: July 06, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »
It drives me CRAZY when people ask me something like 'Can you tell me where the toilets are?' Yes, I CAN tell you. Whether I WILL is a different question. I have no idea why this annoys me so much as, in context, they're pretty much the same question.

What also annoys me to a slightly greater degree is when, at work, clearly working (say, behind the bar in uniform pulling a pint) someone asks me 'Do you know where the toilets are?' No, I have no idea, I just work here ::). Again, minor, but incredibly, INCREDIBLY irritating to me. Maybe partly because there is a reasonably obvious sign people have to walk past to get to me at the bar to ask their question, and despite said sign, I get asked that question what feels like a thousand times a day. One day I'm going to crack and give someone a very sarcastic answer and then probably get into trouble. (I think maybe it might be time to start looking for a new job. ::))

Me too! ;D I work in a convenience store. It is not a huge store with hallways and such. It is a square. You can walk in the door and see everything. Including the THREE FOOT tall letters that indicate where the restroom is. Do people actually look? No. They ask if we have a restroom. I dont mind that so much until there is a line of 5 or 6 people right under the sign, and someone asks if there is a restroom. No, there is just a line of people for absolutely no reason.

Small, I know. But it still gripes me.  ;D

Specky

« Reply #12469 on: July 06, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
The sound of someone crunching ice or chips.  I used to work in an office where one colleague had her mouth going from the time she got there until she left for the day.  I wanted to aim a death ray at her.

Snooks

« Reply #12470 on: July 07, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »
Pizza places who think it's ok to substitute parts of your order without checking with you.  I'm still debating whether or not to contact their customer service.  It was a drink rather than food and the delivery guy did come back with the right thing after I (rather forcefully) told him that was not what I ordered and if I'd known they hadn't had it I would have cancelled the order (it was a package deal) but it annoyed me that they didn't even try to contact me to tell me they didn't have what I'd ordered.  Plus, it turned out they did have what I ordered, either that or the poor delivery guy went and bought it from the shops for us.

Bethczar

« Reply #12471 on: July 07, 2013, 07:29:24 PM »
A few pages near the end, but I'm proportionately chubby all over--but I'm SHORT. 5 foot. All clothing manufacturers seem to believe that the bigger you are, the taller you are as well. Very, very difficult and depressing to find pants to begin with, but adding length to it too is just awful. I'll stick to skirts.

I meant to mention that as a pet peeve of mine as well. I'm 5'5" but long waisted with short legs (29" inseam). the wider I am doesn't mean i'm that much taller.
Huh, I always think it's the opposite. I can finds lots of petite plus size pants, but talls are almost impossible to find. I need at least a 35" inseam.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12472 on: July 07, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
Sometimes I'm driven a little crazy that I'm fairly busty with a petite frame. Petite cute dresses and tops with a square or v-neck that look perfectly decent on other petite women make me look like a freaking pin-up girl, aka, not appropriate for work or church. And yes, I know I can add a camisole but it has been HOT lately and I don't want to wear extra layers.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12473 on: July 07, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
Every now and then I get a little tired of being called "cute" even if people mean it in a nice way.  I mean, I'm almost 35, though I'm often told by DH and my older two that I look at least 10 years younger.  And if anyone's going to think you're ancient, it's usually your kids, right? (unless they want something of course. ;) )

I know people don't mean it as a criticism but every now and then I'd love to hear a "you're pretty/lovely/etc." anything but "cute". Or at least not hear it as much.  DH is the one who uses it the most.

"How do I look?"
"Cute'

*after doing hair and makeup and trying to make myself look quite attractive*
"What do you think?" '
"Cute!"

I'm thinking I ought to ask someone what I can do to get a compliment other than cute, something that's feasible.  Can't change the height but I've already gotten my haircut and I have glasses and was told both made me look younger and "cute".  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12474 on: July 07, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »
Every now and then I get a little tired of being called "cute" even if people mean it in a nice way.  I mean, I'm almost 35, though I'm often told by DH and my older two that I look at least 10 years younger.  And if anyone's going to think you're ancient, it's usually your kids, right? (unless they want something of course. ;) )

I know people don't mean it as a criticism but every now and then I'd love to hear a "you're pretty/lovely/etc." anything but "cute". Or at least not hear it as much.  DH is the one who uses it the most.

"How do I look?"
"Cute'

*after doing hair and makeup and trying to make myself look quite attractive*
"What do you think?" '
"Cute!"

I'm thinking I ought to ask someone what I can do to get a compliment other than cute, something that's feasible.  Can't change the height but I've already gotten my haircut and I have glasses and was told both made me look younger and "cute".  ::)

Same here. I'm petite with freckles and rounded facial features. I may be 30 but apparently I will forever be cute! Dramatic hair and make-up with a slinky dress for girls' night out? I look "so adorable." Skirt suit, pumps and a bun for a conference? "Aww, how sweet! You look like a grown-up!"

Spare me.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12475 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »
I haven't gotten that but I do get "sweetheart" from male clerks, some who I could swear are my age or younger!!!  When I'm with my kids, too!  My oldest is 12 and nearly as tall as I am.  I would think that would give a clue as to my age!

My best friend calls me cute too but I don't mind it so much from her as she's older than me by 20 some years so I think it's a perspective thing.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Pen^2

« Reply #12476 on: July 07, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »
I get called "honey," "sweetheart," "darling," "love," etc. all the time. I'm quite short (five feet exactly), but not exactly 7 years old or anything. Without exception, it comes from much older men. I absolutely hate it. You can try to excuse it by, "they're trying to be friendly," but the fact that they are completely gender- and age-specific about it makes it creepy and inappropriate, no matter what their intentions are.

I'll be waiting in line and will find that they only use such terms for the younger, relatively attractive female customers. I would complain whenever it happens but it literally is an everyday occurrence and managers, corporate, etc. always write it off as friendliness, even though it clearly has less innocent overtones. I hate it and it's disgusting.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12477 on: July 07, 2013, 10:11:44 PM »
Pizza places who think it's ok to substitute parts of your order without checking with you.  I'm still debating whether or not to contact their customer service.  It was a drink rather than food and the delivery guy did come back with the right thing after I (rather forcefully) told him that was not what I ordered and if I'd known they hadn't had it I would have cancelled the order (it was a package deal) but it annoyed me that they didn't even try to contact me to tell me they didn't have what I'd ordered.  Plus, it turned out they did have what I ordered, either that or the poor delivery guy went and bought it from the shops for us.

UGG - I stopped ordering from a place because they kept switching my 2 20 oz bottles of coke for a 2 liter of coke. In a paternalistic tone the delivery guy and the person a I phone to complain told me it was cheaper. I. did. not. care. I always drink resealable soft drinks to a) keep the fizz in b) keep the soft drink from spilling on any and all electronics.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12478 on: July 08, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »
The fact that the landlord of my building at work cannot keep the a/c running consistently. they turn it off at night, during weekends and holidays, and inevitably, wen they go to turn it back on, there's an issue.

Today i got a text from my boss, that yet again, there's no a/c on our side of the bldg. I figured well, how bad can it be? it was bad. between 90-95 and like a furnace. So i grabbed some work and came home. to find they are replacing the flashing/gutters/some other stuff on my building. so there is hammering, pounding, etcf. not 2 feet from where i'm sitting, trying to work. there's also loud salsa music, and all sorts of other noises. very disruptive. i can't wait to go to my second job to night and QUIET!!!  i know they have a job to do, but hte timing really stinks.

Snooks

« Reply #12479 on: July 08, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »

UGG - I stopped ordering from a place because they kept switching my 2 20 oz bottles of coke for a 2 liter of coke. In a paternalistic tone the delivery guy and the person a I phone to complain told me it was cheaper. I. did. not. care. I always drink resealable soft drinks to a) keep the fizz in b) keep the soft drink from spilling on any and all electronics.

This was similar, they sent Coke Zero instead of Diet Coke because "it's the same, sugar free".  No it's not the same, which is why Coke markets it as two different drinks!  If they didn't have any of the 20oz bottles I wouldn't have minded 500ml bottles in it's place, but not a completely different drink.