Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1294075 times)

Shalamar

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12480 on: July 08, 2013, 11:11:02 AM »
The guy down the hall from me at work has a cell phone that makes a "wolf whistle" noise when he gets a text.  It's gone off five times in the last twenty minutes.  Argh!

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12481 on: July 08, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
My left pinky being numb...it's like it's trying to wake up from being asleep but the relief of it waking up never comes!  Now it's starting to hurt some, too, all on the day I'm installing a fence.  Grrrr.  I'm irritated it's irritated!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12482 on: July 08, 2013, 01:01:18 PM »
when I walk out to the mailbox to mail something, get silentlhy ogled by the workers having lunch, and trip and fall coming back inside. I coudn't do it when NO ONe was around, oh no, it had to be in front of like 10 people. I am a clumsy beast. Not hurt but hopefully they will be gone by the time I have to elave for work.

cwm

« Reply #12483 on: July 08, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »
One of my bosses always uses ect. instead of etc.

It's Latin. It's the shortened form of et ceteri (or et cetera, for one item being left off a list).

People who can't use it properly bother me to no end.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #12484 on: July 08, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »
My brother and I are currently sharing a house.  It's pretty big, having five bedrooms and two baths, and it's been working out fairly marvelously!  I have one kid, 16,and he has shared custody of his two daughters, ages 11 and 13. 

His kids are great kids, but they do a few things that drive me up a wall.  The main thing is the length of their baths.  We all mostly use the upstairs bathroom,as the one downstairs is super small, and in a weird quirk of the home, the shower part, (no tub), is across a small separate hall from the actual bathroom.  The upstairs bathroom is large and airy, and as my bedroom is up there, too, I prefer the convenience rather then the downstairs.

It's normally fine, but my nieces are in the habit of taking two-hour-long baths.  They play with a bucket of Barbies, read, etc., and just take their good old time, one after the other.  It gets super frustrating, waiting for them to be done, so I can grab a quick shower.  I never say anything, as it's nowhere near close to a hill to die on, but still, it can be annoying.  They also don't use a mat or towel to step on and thus get water all over the floor, and they make messes in there they don't clean up.  I give it a thorough cleaning once a week, and I'm tired of having to move a stack of books back into their bedroom or stepping on Barbies!
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12485 on: July 08, 2013, 03:09:57 PM »
I would recommend that you address this with your brother now before it becomes a hill to die on.

Xandraea

« Reply #12486 on: July 08, 2013, 04:15:55 PM »
My brother and I are currently sharing a house.  It's pretty big, having five bedrooms and two baths, and it's been working out fairly marvelously!  I have one kid, 16,and he has shared custody of his two daughters, ages 11 and 13. 

His kids are great kids, but they do a few things that drive me up a wall.  The main thing is the length of their baths.  We all mostly use the upstairs bathroom,as the one downstairs is super small, and in a weird quirk of the home, the shower part, (no tub), is across a small separate hall from the actual bathroom.  The upstairs bathroom is large and airy, and as my bedroom is up there, too, I prefer the convenience rather then the downstairs.

It's normally fine, but my nieces are in the habit of taking two-hour-long baths.  They play with a bucket of Barbies, read, etc., and just take their good old time, one after the other.  It gets super frustrating, waiting for them to be done, so I can grab a quick shower.  I never say anything, as it's nowhere near close to a hill to die on, but still, it can be annoying.  They also don't use a mat or towel to step on and thus get water all over the floor, and they make messes in there they don't clean up.  I give it a thorough cleaning once a week, and I'm tired of having to move a stack of books back into their bedroom or stepping on Barbies!

The girls are 11 and 13.  Surely they could be addressed directly, and also should be responsible for cleaning up after themselves.   If necessary, put a time-limit on baths.  Get a timer to remind them it's time to be done.  One hour is more than enough time to wash, relax, read or play a bit in the bath.  This bathroom is shared by up to 5 people, it sounds like, and it is unfair to everyone else in the household to occupy it for excessive time.  After their hour is up, the girls should exit the bathroom, taking all their toys/books with them, and leaving the bathroom reasonably clean and dry for the next occupant.  Maybe have a sit-down with the girls (and their father, and your own teen) and agree on how to share the space/time and also how to share responsibility for cleaning the space, and consequences for leaving a mess/clutter (books/barbies disappear for a time if left there?)

My own DD has been responsible for keeping her own bedroom/bathroom clean since she was half your nieces' age, and from earlier than that was trained to pick up after herself and not leave giant messes.

I would recommend that you address this with your brother now before it becomes a hill to die on.

I agree, discuss with your brother and also with the girls so that this currently little thing doesn't become a huge annoyance (at which point, would the girls wonder why nobody mentioned it was an issue before?)

Carotte

« Reply #12487 on: July 08, 2013, 04:49:45 PM »
People who don't take into account their surrounding in a shared space. This, yet again, at the pool.
There was three lanes open today (lane four is for those having a private lesson), it's a no brainer, lane one is slow/ people not really swimming/kid hanging on the side wall, two is moderate, and three had the 'fast swimming' placard.
I tried the fast one at first (since I can keep a good, constant swim) but there was this slooowwww guy in it that you just had to bypass every time you came behind him.
The lane is 25m/82 f long, he took a full minute and a half for this, where the others in the lane took 30sec (and that's counting the few seconds bypassing him).
It was bordering ridiculous to watch, and irritating to wistand - I moved to the middle lane quickly.
In the middle lane it was more 40 sec to cross 25m, he should have been in lane minus 3.

So he's either the most clueless person ever (when the 7 other people sharing your lane have to bypass you everytime it means there's a problem, and you are it ::) ), or a special snowflake there to bother everyone.

I asked the lifeguard/instructor if they could do anything (like if they even had the right to say something or enforce their 'rule'), not much he could do... maybe if the other 7 people had complained  :-\

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #12488 on: July 08, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »
Sometimes I'm driven a little crazy that I'm fairly busty with a petite frame. Petite cute dresses and tops with a square or v-neck that look perfectly decent on other petite women make me look like a freaking pin-up girl, aka, not appropriate for work or church. And yes, I know I can add a camisole but it has been HOT lately and I don't want to wear extra layers.

I have this issue. A pretty square of lace in the colour of choice (I have a black, a white and a red) and a couple of little gold safety pins - Ta Da!!! no more boobage!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12489 on: July 08, 2013, 08:47:59 PM »
Sometimes I'm driven a little crazy that I'm fairly busty with a petite frame. Petite cute dresses and tops with a square or v-neck that look perfectly decent on other petite women make me look like a freaking pin-up girl, aka, not appropriate for work or church. And yes, I know I can add a camisole but it has been HOT lately and I don't want to wear extra layers.

I have this issue. A pretty square of lace in the colour of choice (I have a black, a white and a red) and a couple of little gold safety pins - Ta Da!!! no more boobage!

Most busty women I know run into this.  Most clothing is made to fit a B/C cup.  Even modest cut tops can look obscene on me.  Oddly enough, the more modest/higher neckline, the more obscene it looks on me.  V necks are okay most of the time, most square cut necklines make me look like I'm offering up my breast on a platter.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:08:37 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12490 on: July 09, 2013, 01:36:42 AM »

Most busty women I know run into this.  Most clothing is made to fit a B/C cup.  Even modest cut tops can look obscene on me.  Oddly enough, the more modest/higher neckline, the more obscene it looks on me.  V necks are okay most of the time, most square cut necklines make me look like I'm offering up my breast on a platter.

Oh, square cuts are the worst. I wore one last night where the fabric stopped 4 inches below my collar bones. But with my DDs it looked like they were out there for the world to see.

Pen^2

« Reply #12491 on: July 09, 2013, 01:57:38 AM »
One of my bosses always uses ect. instead of etc.

It's Latin. It's the shortened form of et ceteri (or et cetera, for one item being left off a list).

People who can't use it properly bother me to no end.

This, and people who use e.g. and i.e. interchangeably. If you're in any position of authority, put in the effort to actually write correctly!

I saw it on a resume once, from a guy claiming to have various qualifications in literature-related stuff. He may have had those qualifications, but clearly they didn't benefit him much, so they were irrelevant and not worth taking into consideration. That, and he didn't know how to use apostrophes. Aaargh it's not hard!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #12492 on: July 09, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »
When you're trying to find information over the phone and get caught in one of those blasted phone trees.  "Press 1 for X, 2 for Y, and 3 for Z."  Which doesn't help me at all when I have a question about Q.  >:(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #12493 on: July 09, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »
ohh and when you are not sure if your question falls under 1 or 2, so you pick one and then can't go back. Instead you have to hang up and redial going through the blasted tree again.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Xandraea

« Reply #12494 on: July 09, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »
When you're trying to find information over the phone and get caught in one of those blasted phone trees.  "Press 1 for X, 2 for Y, and 3 for Z."  Which doesn't help me at all when I have a question about Q.  >:(

ohh and when you are not sure if your question falls under 1 or 2, so you pick one and then can't go back. Instead you have to hang up and redial going through the blasted tree again.

Supposedly, if you just keep hitting 0 (zero) during the automated msgs, it'll kick you to a real live human being.