Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1737665 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12555 on: July 12, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »
The word "Whinge."

I know it's correct, but it always makes me want to break out the red correction pen and cross out the G.
I've never known an American to use "whinge", so it always looks wrong to me. It sets my teeth on edge.

Ditto!  This looks like an invented word to exaggerate the meaning of the original.

Whinge is a very common word in the UK and isn't invented at all.

I've always had the impression that "whinge" is a much-loved-and-used word in Australian English.

A World War 2 story that I like: concerns an RAF bomber whose pilot and commander-of-crew was Australian, with the rest of the crew being British. The pilot was a stoical and uncomplaining character, with no patience with complainers.  When anyone groused or grumbled about things, the pilot was given to remarking caustically, "You'd whinge if your backside was on fire."

His crew members told him that this was a daft thing to say; if one's backside were on fire, it would be a highly distressing situation in which whinging was completely justified.  The pilot continued with the frequent use of his "trademark" saying, but in the end, came to add to it always: "But that, they tell me, is the time to whinge."

Cami

« Reply #12556 on: July 12, 2013, 02:50:40 PM »
When people only contact you when they want something.  >:( Especially something that you can no longer assist with and they know that.
Or when people say, "Oh we should get together" and then never make it happen. If you really don't want to get together with me, then STOP SAYING IT. If you do want to get together with me, then contact me.  I mean, at this point, my dh and I just roll our eyes at this person -- my former BFF.

She sees him regularly at work and Every. Single. Time she says, "Oh, Cami and I need to get together!" My dh has taken to saying to her, "If so, why don't you call her and make it happen?" Her response is, "Oh, you know me. I'm scatterbrained! She needs to call ME!"

Yeah, I spent years calling her. I'm over that and have been for years. The final straw was when she said she was on FB "all the time" so we should connect that way, but then told me that she's "too busy" to even hit the "like" button on any of my posts or pictures. Seriously? You suggested using FB to "keep in touch" and then you're "too busy" to spend 1 second hitting the "like" button? LOL At that point, I just wrote her off.  So by now, it's no longer hurtful and her comments are just a little thing that's annoying that we wish she'd stop doing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:46:02 PM by Cami »

KimberlyM

« Reply #12557 on: July 12, 2013, 03:13:10 PM »

I also don't like it when people use "whenever" when they mean "when". There were a lot of people in college (it seemed to have been a regional thing) who did that. To me, whenever means "at every time when" instead of just "at one instance".

"Whenever I went to the gas station last week, there was an accident on *major street*." Well, I know you went to the gas station once without an accident there, I was there with you!

My husband has a friend who does that...it makes me stabby!  I actually can't handle being around him because I am certain one day I'll snap and tell him how dumb he sounds. :-\

Shalamar

« Reply #12558 on: July 12, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »
One of my best work buddies has a terrible habit of adding the words "or whatever" to almost every sentence.  An example would be "I went to my son's baseball game or whatever, and traffic was terrible because of construction or whatever.  I was 20 minutes late, so I missed the first two innings or whatever."  She's a sweetheart, but boy, it's hard to listen to.

Or when people say, "Oh we should get together" and then never make it happen.

I used to have a very good friend (we'd known each other since we were 12).  We fell out of touch as we got older, but we'd send Christmas or birthday cards, always with the penned line "We have to get together!"    One day, I ran into her at the grocery store.  After chatting for a few minutes, she said "Well, I gotta go, but it's been great seeing you.  We have to get together!"  I said "Tell you what - let's set a date right now.   How's this weekend?"    She got a complete deer-in-the-headlights look and said "Um, this weekend's no good."  "How about next weekend?"  "I'm busy then, too."  "How about the weekend after that?  You pick a date."  "I'm just SO busy!  Tell you what; I'll call you."  She never did, and I never contacted her again. 

Snooks

« Reply #12559 on: July 12, 2013, 06:26:19 PM »
When I was sitting on the sofa I couldn't keep my eyes open. Now I'm in bed I'm wide awake. Even listening to talk radio which normally knocks me out in five minutes hasn't worked.

CuriousParty

« Reply #12560 on: July 12, 2013, 07:31:20 PM »
The word "Whinge."

I know it's correct, but it always makes me want to break out the red correction pen and cross out the G.
I've never known an American to use "whinge", so it always looks wrong to me. It sets my teeth on edge.

Ditto!  This looks like an invented word to exaggerate the meaning of the original.

I've always had the impression that "whinge" is a much-loved-and-used word in Australian English.

A World War 2 story that I like: concerns an RAF bomber whose pilot and commander-of-crew was Australian, with the rest of the crew being British. The pilot was a stoical and uncomplaining character, with no patience with complainers.  When anyone groused or grumbled about things, the pilot was given to remarking caustically, "You'd whinge if your backside was on fire."

His crew members told him that this was a daft thing to say; if one's backside were on fire, it would be a highly distressing situation in which whinging was completely justified.  The pilot continued with the frequent use of his "trademark" saying, but in the end, came to add to it always: "But that, they tell me, is the time to whinge."

Um, well, I'm not Australian and not familiar with the use of "whinge", but it seems to me that if any part of my person were on fire it would most certainly not be a moment to complain/whine/moan peevishly, but rather a moment for taking some decisive action. Like finding a fire extinguisher. And an ER.  I'm kind of with the pilot on this one.

Pen^2

« Reply #12561 on: July 13, 2013, 04:21:04 AM »
The word "Whinge."

I grew up in Australia. Where I lived, "whinger" and "child" were synonymous. The correct term for a group of children was "a pack of whingers." Well, maybe just me and the kids I used to hang around with. What can I say? We were... well, whingers.

Also that's a hilarious story, but I think that, sadly, it only works if you understand the Australian sense of humour.

Redsoil

« Reply #12562 on: July 13, 2013, 05:17:17 AM »
CuriousParty - it's the peculiar sense of Aussie humour.  :) 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Coralreef

« Reply #12563 on: July 13, 2013, 06:49:10 AM »
When someone keeps to upsell you something. 

I won a racetrack loop driving a Lamborghini.  Every 5 minutes, they would try to sell additional loops, so I could feel the car, feel the racetrack, get the most out of the experience.  At $100 for 3 loops, forget it.  I could not even afford to buy the souvenir picture.  I won a raffle, not the jackpot in the provincial lotery.  Once the customer says no, stop insisting!

[/right

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12564 on: July 13, 2013, 08:59:01 AM »
When someone keeps to upsell you something. 

I won a racetrack loop driving a Lamborghini.  Every 5 minutes, they would try to sell additional loops, so I could feel the car, feel the racetrack, get the most out of the experience.  At $100 for 3 loops, forget it.  I could not even afford to buy the souvenir picture.  I won a raffle, not the jackpot in the provincial lotery.  Once the customer says no, stop insisting!

You were behind the wheel of a Lamborghini?  Congratulations, someone you don't know at all envies the [REDACTED] out of you!

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12565 on: July 13, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
I thought "whinge" and "whine" were pronounced the same way, like "pine", but apparently "whinge" = "hinge"?

As for me, my husband's habit of adding "If you know what I mean" to the end of every statement. 

diesel_darlin

« Reply #12566 on: July 13, 2013, 01:11:55 PM »
When people only contact you when they want something.  >:( Especially something that you can no longer assist with and they know that.
Or when people say, "Oh we should get together" and then never make it happen. If you really don't want to get together with me, then STOP SAYING IT. If you do want to get together with me, then contact me.  I mean, at this point, my dh and I just roll our eyes at this person -- my former BFF.

She sees him regularly at work and Every. Single. Time she says, "Oh, Cami and I need to get together!" My dh has taken to saying to her, "If so, why don't you call her and make it happen?" Her response is, "Oh, you know me. I'm scatterbrained! She needs to call ME!"

Yeah, I spent years calling her. I'm over that and have been for years. The final straw was when she said she was on FB "all the time" so we should connect that way, but then told me that she's "too busy" to even hit the "like" button on any of my posts or pictures. Seriously? You suggested using FB to "keep in touch" and then you're "too busy" to spend 1 second hitting the "like" button? LOL At that point, I just wrote her off.  So by now, it's no longer hurtful and her comments are just a little thing that's annoying that we wish she'd stop doing.

Yes! Absolutely!

Girlie

« Reply #12567 on: July 13, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
I work as a teller in a bank. Can I just vent for a second about how annoying it is when someone comes through drive-thru, throws a check in the drawer, and then doesn't say anything? The worst ones will be on the phone with someone, and it will be impossible to get their attention. So then you're left wondering what to do with this person's check. Cash it? Deposit it? Frame it and hang it on the wall for posterity?

I also find it annoying (and rude) when customers come through, and say ,"Fifty dollars." No i.d., no passbook, not even a complete sentence. No "thank you" when they drive off, either.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12568 on: July 13, 2013, 04:41:06 PM »
BG:  First, I'm the one in my household that pays all the household bills.  I have a neon yellow file in the file cabinet with hard copies of old bill statements.  I do all my transactions on-line now, but keep one copy of each bill for the account numbers just in case something comes up and I need account numbers or contact info.

Well today, something came up and I needed an account number. The file was not in it's spot.  I looked through the whole freaking cabinet...no file. After 30 minutes of frantic searching, I called DH. It turns out he was looking for something, pulled the file out, placed it in completely random place no where near the file cabinet.  I am not amused and he things I'm being silly for being mad about this.  I just wasted 30 minutes looking for something that should not have been moved in the first place...this is not the first time this has happened and he has been asked previously not to move that particular file around.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12569 on: July 13, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
BG:  First, I'm the one in my household that pays all the household bills.  I have a neon yellow file in the file cabinet with hard copies of old bill statements.  I do all my transactions on-line now, but keep one copy of each bill for the account numbers just in case something comes up and I need account numbers or contact info.

Well today, something came up and I needed an account number. The file was not in it's spot.  I looked through the whole freaking cabinet...no file. After 30 minutes of frantic searching, I called DH. It turns out he was looking for something, pulled the file out, placed it in completely random place no where near the file cabinet.  I am not amused and he things I'm being silly for being mad about this.  I just wasted 30 minutes looking for something that should not have been moved in the first place...this is not the first time this has happened and he has been asked previously not to move that particular file around.

Wait a minute.  You went looking for a file you needed in a place called a file cabinet (which is a cabinet that hold files so you know where the files you filed have been filed) and the file wasn't in the file cabinet and he thinks you're being ridiculous?

I mean, if a Phillips screwdriver was in the fridge instead of the toolbox, or a jar of oregano was in the medicine cabinet instead of the spice rack, one would be outraged for that, too.