Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1618277 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12600 on: July 15, 2013, 02:39:41 PM »
My DH has been driving me nuts too.  There are several controversial subjects that are frequently in the news here in the US.  Let us lump them all into Green and Purple.  DH is definitely waaaaaaaaaaay over on the Green side of the scale, so much so that he can't even SEE the Purple side.  I'm neither Green nor Purple; call me Blue, because I can usually see both sides of the issue and think that both sides have relevant points. 

DH will ask me something like "What do those Purple people mean when they say "_______"?  I attempt to explain.  Then he yells at me, not because he objects to the way I'm explaining, but because he strongly disagrees with the Purple point of view. 

I'm afraid that I was not polite the last time this happened.  I yelled back "If you can't listen to the answer that you wanted without yelling at me, then to h@ll with you and your dingdangity opinions," and left the room. 

Next time I'm going to just refuse to discuss it.   >:(   No bean dip, just "You always get mad and yell at me when this subject comes up, so I'm not going to discuss it."

I'd probably react much the same as you.  "I'm not the person you're mad at, but you're doing a pretty good job and making the inverse true!"

mmswm

« Reply #12601 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:46 PM »
I don't know if this is little, but I freaking hate mechanics who royally screw things up.

A little background: I have always done my own work on my own car.  The exception to this is the time I did not live near my father.  I lack a decent and complete set of tools (I have some, but never what I need) and while I was living in apartments, the rules forbid me from working on my car anyway.  While I lived in North Dakota, I needed new brakes.  I was forced to take the car to a shop and have a "real" mechanic do the work.

So, my irritation for today:  I had to change the front brake pads.  I jack up the car, pull the front tires off and attempt to remove the lower caliper bolts.  I say attempt, because it was a mission.  You see, that "real" mechanic had cross threaded the stupid bolts, utterly destroying them.  Replacement bolts 11 bucks each and must be special ordered, as they're not a part that any of the stores around here carry regularly. My father rigged the bolts so I wouldn't be completely without transportation, but the warning is "don't go anywhere rescuing you would be inconvenient.  Yea, sure.  Maybe I'll just stay home all week.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

cwm

« Reply #12602 on: July 15, 2013, 04:23:25 PM »
I don't know if this is little, but I freaking hate mechanics who royally screw things up.

A little background: I have always done my own work on my own car.  The exception to this is the time I did not live near my father.  I lack a decent and complete set of tools (I have some, but never what I need) and while I was living in apartments, the rules forbid me from working on my car anyway.  While I lived in North Dakota, I needed new brakes.  I was forced to take the car to a shop and have a "real" mechanic do the work.

So, my irritation for today:  I had to change the front brake pads.  I jack up the car, pull the front tires off and attempt to remove the lower caliper bolts.  I say attempt, because it was a mission.  You see, that "real" mechanic had cross threaded the stupid bolts, utterly destroying them.  Replacement bolts 11 bucks each and must be special ordered, as they're not a part that any of the stores around here carry regularly. My father rigged the bolts so I wouldn't be completely without transportation, but the warning is "don't go anywhere rescuing you would be inconvenient.  Yea, sure.  Maybe I'll just stay home all week.

I was getting new tires somewhere, I think it was a national chain. They couldn't get the nut off to actually remove the tire. So what did they do? Kept trying. Used their hydraulic equipment to keep trying to get this stuck nut off. Turns out they had cross threaded it on last time the car had been in to get the tires done (it was my parents at the time) and nobody noticed. So now they want to charge ME an extra $XXX because they have to sand the nut off and replace the bolt or something ridiculous like that.

Luckily, though I was in college at the time, my parents were visiting the next weekend. I brought my dad in who had taken the car last time and who had owned it until the week before I took in the first time. He calmly explained that not only would we NOT be paying for them to fix this, but they were to document that it was their fault in the first place and if there were any problems within a reasonable amount of time, they would be fixed as well.

Cami

« Reply #12603 on: July 15, 2013, 08:56:50 PM »
People who say they want advice, then get all bent out of shape.

Example: Casual Acquaintance asked my advice on, let's say, the best way for her daughter's store to promote a sale of Whozits and Whatsits. She didn't tell me what daughter was doing, but asked an open-ended question.

I asked her, "Are you sure you want my advice?" I asked because sometimes people ask for advice but don't really want it. (To wit, the following conversation.)

CA insisted she did want the advice as I have years of experience promoting Whozits and Whatsits. I gave her my advice.

CA exploded, "But that's not what my daughter is doing!"

I shrugged and said, "Oh? Well, you asked my advice. I gave it. Take it or leave it. It's no skin off my back either way."

"Are you saying my daughter is incompetent! How dare you!"

At which point all conversation around our table ceases and a tablemate -- who is good friends with CA -- intercedes and says, "Now Cami said nothing of the sort. You asked her advice. She gave it.  No one is forcing your daughter to take her advice or saying she's incompetent for doing it another way."

"I don't have to calm down! She insulted my daughter!"

The rest of the table then tries to calm her down.

At that point, I got up and left, figuring that she was enjoying either her anger and/or the spotlight of offended motherhood.

The good news is that she's no longer talking to me.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:20:45 PM by Cami »

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12604 on: July 15, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »
Ah yes.  People that want your advice that agrees 100% with them.

See, I have this weird ability (that has waned in recent years.)  In my 20s, it was darn near uncanny.  See, I could see auras.  My record is a 100% accurate evaluation of someone I never met, only heard a (rosy-glassed) description of her from an acquaintance via internet chat.  The thing I learned with that ability is this: NO ONE wants an honest evaluation.  They want a unicorn crossing a field of rainbow flowers carrying a basket of puppies in its mouth while kittens ride on its back.  I'd make sure they wanted accuracy instead of back-patting, they'd assure me that "Oh, I wouldn't ask if I didn't!", I'd tell them, they wouldn't talk to me for a month or so, then they'd come back apologizing because hey.. they were what I said they were.

mmswm

« Reply #12605 on: July 15, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »

See, I have this weird ability (that has waned in recent years.)  In my 20s, it was darn near uncanny.  See, I could see auras.  My record is a 100% accurate evaluation of someone I never met, only heard a (rosy-glassed) description of her from an acquaintance via internet chat.  The thing I learned with that ability is this: NO ONE wants an honest evaluation.  They want a unicorn crossing a field of rainbow flowers carrying a basket of puppies in its mouth while kittens ride on its back.  I'd make sure they wanted accuracy instead of back-patting, they'd assure me that "Oh, I wouldn't ask if I didn't!", I'd tell them, they wouldn't talk to me for a month or so, then they'd come back apologizing because hey.. they were what I said they were.

I'd be too terrified to ask because I'd be convinced there was some horrible thing out there that I was too blind to notice.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Pen^2

« Reply #12606 on: July 15, 2013, 11:30:22 PM »

This really grates me, too. People who ask for advice and then act as though it was your job to realise that they really just wanted you to confirm whatever they were thinking/doing already. It really is ridiculous: you directly ask for something, are given an honest but polite answer, and start fuming and throwing a temper tantrum. This is incredibly immature and ridiculous: it really is a case of making your own bed and having to lie in it.

I always start off slow: "what your currently doing sounds fantastic and wonderful and rainbows and sparkles, but possibly, possibly, it would be ever so slightly easier for you if you were to entertain for the briefest moment the notion of perhaps considering this marginally different thing..." and if they start turning red and exhaling steam, then I immediately back off. "Oh, sorry, for a moment there I misunderstood the situation. You're perfect just as you are. Now let me just go and get some bean dip."

Most requests for advice go this way, sadly. It's strange that so many people just don't want to receive what they directly ask for. I can't help but take it as an indication that mentally they're not quite an adult, no matter what their actual age. There've been a few threads recently displaying this effect, sadly, as well.

PeterM

« Reply #12607 on: July 16, 2013, 01:01:14 AM »
Not mine, but my DH's.  He worked retail for several years.  His eye will still start to twitch if he hears someone say at a checkout, 'No price tag?  That means it's free, right?  Ha ha ha!'

Overused jokes of any kind drive me insane. A good rule of thumb is, if you've ever used a certain joke in the past, or even heard of anyone anywhere in the world having used it within all of human history, shut up already. The worker you're talking to has already heard your joke many, many times.

That said, I've been beaten down enough that even that doesn't bother me too much. What really, truly bugs the snot out of me is people who are honest to gods offended when you don't think their cliched joke is hilarious. I had a woman last month come up to the desk during an especially busy time and make a joke, I wish I could remember what it was, but it wasn't particularly funny, nor was it particularly unfunny. It was just there. I gave it the usual chuff of air and  faint smile I've developed for this sort of situation, and she stopped our transaction and glared at me.

"You should laugh. That was funny!"

That's not actually in my job description, believe it or not. And by and large these are the same people who would get upset if something on the order of "Taxpayer Money Used To Pay Workers To Laugh At Bad Jokes" were to show up in the newspaper, so I probably couldn't win either way.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12608 on: July 16, 2013, 09:00:40 AM »
My dad has a routine of the same jokes. Never anything new, he is incapable of natural conversation because of his reliance on flip jokes. Drives me mad.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #12609 on: July 16, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »
"Pics or it didn't happen!"

Especially in regards to things like the formation of the Earth, extinction of the dinosaurs etc.  The whole "you weren't there so you're just guessing/making stuff up" attitude.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #12610 on: July 16, 2013, 10:02:45 AM »

This really grates me, too. People who ask for advice and then act as though it was your job to realise that they really just wanted you to confirm whatever they were thinking/doing already. It really is ridiculous: you directly ask for something, are given an honest but polite answer, and start fuming and throwing a temper tantrum. This is incredibly immature and ridiculous: it really is a case of making your own bed and having to lie in it.

I always start off slow: "what your currently doing sounds fantastic and wonderful and rainbows and sparkles, but possibly, possibly, it would be ever so slightly easier for you if you were to entertain for the briefest moment the notion of perhaps considering this marginally different thing..." and if they start turning red and exhaling steam, then I immediately back off. "Oh, sorry, for a moment there I misunderstood the situation. You're perfect just as you are. Now let me just go and get some bean dip."

Most requests for advice go this way, sadly. It's strange that so many people just don't want to receive what they directly ask for. I can't help but take it as an indication that mentally they're not quite an adult, no matter what their actual age. There've been a few threads recently displaying this effect, sadly, as well.

On the other end of the spectrum. When you tell some one you don't want their advice, but they insist on giving it anyway. Then they get upset when you don't use their advice.

Edit: Because I can form sentences and use punctuation. Really! I can!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:12:30 AM by laud_shy_girl »
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #12611 on: July 16, 2013, 10:09:26 AM »
My dad has a routine of the same jokes. Never anything new, he is incapable of natural conversation because of his reliance on flip jokes. Drives me mad.

This, except with random movie quotes in addition to the flip jokes.  Knock it off already. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12612 on: July 16, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »
Mine has sayings related to every type of animal or bird on the planet. Going to a animal theme park (SeaWorld/Busch Gardens) or a zoo is terrible, because he will repeat the same line until someone laughs. I want to abandon him some days, I swear.

Hillia

« Reply #12613 on: July 16, 2013, 10:21:23 AM »
Mine has sayings related to every type of animal or bird on the planet. Going to a animal theme park (SeaWorld/Busch Gardens) or a zoo is terrible, because he will repeat the same line until someone laughs. I want to abandon him some days, I swear.

Oh yeah.  My FIL will hit a 'funny' name for a situation or object and use it at every possible opportunity until you want to scream.  Motorcycle becomes 'murdercycle' - and since we live in an area with a large number of motorcyclists, it came up a *lot*.  Driving around the mountains near our home, every large home (and again, there are many - it's a popular retirement/2nd home area) was a 'li'l ol' shanty house'.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #12614 on: July 16, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »
They must all be clones of some sort.  There are shows that I have to leave the HOUSE to get away from the stupidity/repetition.