Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1647393 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12615 on: July 16, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Two words - canker sores.

I have had one for nearly a month, and it refuses to heal completely. Just sits there, getting more and more irritated and painful as the day progresses. When I wake up, it looks *almost* healed, but goes through the same process every day.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shalamar

« Reply #12616 on: July 16, 2013, 11:25:13 AM »
Re unfunny jokes:  I have a co-worker who likes to send out "funny" e-mails on Friday afternoons.  Once, he was laughing his head off at his desk, and when I asked what had tickled his funnybone, he said "Oh, didn't I copy you on this e-mail I wrote?  Here you go!"   He then practically stood over me while I read it, looking at me expectantly.  I managed a few sincere-sounding "Ha ha"'s, but boy oh boy, he's not NEARLY as funny as he thinks he is.

Re people not taking advice:  a while back a friend of mine was worried because her bosses had asked to meet with her the following day.  She wasn't happy at her job, and she knew that she wasn't doing very well at it, so she was concerned that she was about to be fired.  She said to me "I'm probably worrying about nothing, right?  I'm sure they're not planning to fire me."  I asked her to tell me exactly what they'd said, and when she was done, I said "I'm really sorry to say this, but I think your first instinct was correct.  Better start looking for another job, just in case."  Well.  She was REALLY mad at me, saying "You don't know that!"  "No, I don't, but you asked for my opinion, and that's what I think."  "You still don't know that!  It could be nothing!"  "Maybe.  But maybe not."     Sure enough, she was fired.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12617 on: July 16, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »
Two words - canker sores.

I have had one for nearly a month, and it refuses to heal completely. Just sits there, getting more and more irritated and painful as the day progresses. When I wake up, it looks *almost* healed, but goes through the same process every day.

OUCH. I hate those. When I was in college, I had them all over my mouth. So not fun. Dr. said stress-related and asked if I were under any stress. Well let me see, I'm graduating in a couple months, looking for a job, and so on. Yes, I think stress might have something to do with it!

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #12618 on: July 16, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »
From last week:  the woman who attended a meeting with a three-page letter she'd written to the board.  She handed a copy to each board member and to me (the recording secretary), and then proceeded to read it aloud, word for word.  Including the date, the salutation, and the valediction.  And it was a private meeting, so it wasn't like she needed to read it aloud for the edification of the public.

It wasn't my place to say anything, but sheesh, not one single board member said a word as she droned on and on.  I kept thinking, "We can read too, you know".

Ack.

mmswm

« Reply #12619 on: July 16, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »
"Pics or it didn't happen!"

And this phrase is the reason there are no pictures of my recent trip to Key West. :D
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #12620 on: July 16, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »
They don't make mice for computers like they used to. I remember having the roller ball type mouse and it never had issues. If it stuck, I flipped it over, took out the ball for a cleaning and used a paperclip or hair pin to scrape the gunk off the roller wheels.

Now you have these ridiculous laser or optical mice. They last about three or four years and need replacement!

This is incredibly vexing. I believe it's a marketing ploy to keep us buying products. Hmph!

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I dont like the color..."

Cami

« Reply #12621 on: July 16, 2013, 07:56:46 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12622 on: July 16, 2013, 08:22:47 PM »
They don't make mice for computers like they used to. I remember having the roller ball type mouse and it never had issues. If it stuck, I flipped it over, took out the ball for a cleaning and used a paperclip or hair pin to scrape the gunk off the roller wheels.

Now you have these ridiculous laser or optical mice. They last about three or four years and need replacement!

This is incredibly vexing. I believe it's a marketing ploy to keep us buying products. Hmph!

I can beat that.  I use the Logitech Trackman Wheel.  It's a wired trackball.  It's the best trackball I've ever used, and I have two.  Here is what they go for now.

snowdragon

« Reply #12623 on: July 17, 2013, 12:50:06 AM »
YOLO - especially when used as an excuse for bad behavior

Carotte

« Reply #12624 on: July 17, 2013, 06:31:48 AM »
All the little pricing deceits in stores, mostly grocery/food store I guess (I have no example for the others).

Yesterday I was looking at a pack of 10 widgets A, priced 1 per unit (the price tag states the whole price, 10, and the price per unit, even if you can't just buy one.). Just under that was a multy pack of 20 widgets A, by which I mean two pack of 10 had been put together with one more plastic wrapper, price of unit 1.05, so 21.
HUm, lets see, should I pay 1 more for the exact same thing that is marketed as a value pack? I think they missed the whole point of buying in bulk to milk more from unsuspected customers.

It's understandable that price per unit is higher when there are less units (because of transport and packaging cost, and because it's logic to have them cheaper in 'bulk' of more), not the other way around.
I think it's the law here that there should be the price per pound/gallon so at least it's easy to compare without bringing out the calculator.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #12625 on: July 17, 2013, 07:22:50 AM »
When I am shopping and trying to get the best price per weight.

There will be 4 types of Carrots
1 is  x per Kg
2 is y per 100g
3 is z per Lb
4 is A per unit (a unit has say, five carrots in.)
 And to make things even more fun 1 and 2 are in per-weighed bags,  3 is lose and 4 is prepackaged but in a quantity that is different enough to 1 and 2 that you can't hold a 4 and a 1 and guesstimate how much 4 actually weighs because it's not labeled.

Why they can't pick one unit and stick to it. 1 and 2 are easy to compare because you just move the decimal. 3 is harder as I have to convert it first and 4, even if there is a scale, is a pain in the neck as using the scales then working it out per Kg/100g/Lb is a right royal pain.

At least with these new fangled phones its easer to compare as I have a conversion app on there.

actually I just hate food shopping. By the time I leave the shop I want to cry as all the numbers have started to bleed together in to one bug jumble anyway.
Thank the spaghetti monster for on line food shopping.
For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing. - Jonah Lehrer

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12626 on: July 17, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
One of the food chains around here has taken to offering these hand held scanners that you can take along with you as you shop.  They're great.  You scan your club card, take the scanner that's lit up and as you put items into your cart (bagging as you go) and it keeps your total as you go, also taking into account the club discounts.  Which is awesome for someone such as myself that's somewhat math challenged.

Then once you're done, you take it to the self serve registers that are set up for this device, scan the barcode and then when you scan your card it brings up all your purchases. You can apply coupons if you have them, pay and leave since you're already bagged up.  Really comes in handy when you have a toddler along that tends to get impatient by that point.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12627 on: July 17, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »

I can beat that.  I use the Logitech Trackman Wheel.  It's a wired trackball.  It's the best trackball I've ever used, and I have two.  Here is what they go for now.
I've had one of these at work for about three years now - I don't know what I'd do without it!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12628 on: July 17, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »
On the other end of the spectrum. When you tell some one you don't want their advice, but they insist on giving it anyway. Then they get upset when you don't use their advice.

Edit: Because I can form sentences and use punctuation. Really! I can!!

This. There's a student in my program who's a year ahead of me and every time we run into each other, he insists on saying "mbbored, I know your orals are coming up soon and let me give you some advice..."

I've taken to interrupting him and saying "Thanks, but I've got it under control."

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #12629 on: July 17, 2013, 03:06:06 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

PoddityPodPodPod!!  My sister has a co worker who hums and whistles all.day.long and she says it is getting to the point she is ready to scream.  I told a co worker to stop every single time she would start.  It is so distracting!