Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1559841 times)

cwm

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12630 on: July 17, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »
When I am shopping and trying to get the best price per weight.

There will be 4 types of Carrots
1 is  x per Kg
2 is y per 100g
3 is z per Lb
4 is A per unit (a unit has say, five carrots in.)
 And to make things even more fun 1 and 2 are in per-weighed bags,  3 is lose and 4 is prepackaged but in a quantity that is different enough to 1 and 2 that you can't hold a 4 and a 1 and guesstimate how much 4 actually weighs because it's not labeled.

Why they can't pick one unit and stick to it. 1 and 2 are easy to compare because you just move the decimal. 3 is harder as I have to convert it first and 4, even if there is a scale, is a pain in the neck as using the scales then working it out per Kg/100g/Lb is a right royal pain.

At least with these new fangled phones its easer to compare as I have a conversion app on there.

actually I just hate food shopping. By the time I leave the shop I want to cry as all the numbers have started to bleed together in to one bug jumble anyway.
Thank the spaghetti monster for on line food shopping.

A lot of stores here have been putting price per unit in the corner of the price stickers on the shelf. It's fairly standard within products, so you can see what the cost per ounce of brand A versus brand B is. It's clearly marked for you, which I think is awesome.

I mean, there are some things I won't budge on, blast my budget out of the water, I don't care. I will not handle knockoff brand canned soups for lunches. But it's nice to compare cereal bars or produce or canned vegetables.

Cami

« Reply #12631 on: July 17, 2013, 04:02:04 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

PoddityPodPodPod!!  My sister has a co worker who hums and whistles all.day.long and she says it is getting to the point she is ready to scream.  I told a co worker to stop every single time she would start.  It is so distracting!
It's beyond distracting to me. I mean, it's distracting as in I cannot concentrate on anything other than making it stop right now. Right now. Right now.  Because of my tinnitus, it's truly like nails on a blackboard over and over and over. It makes my skin crawl and my jaw tighten in less than one second.   I will tell people to stop whistling. Or  sometimes I don't say a word as that one time on a plane when some kid was whistling and would not stop and I turned around and gave him what my dd calls "the look of death" and he stopped that second.

mmswm

« Reply #12632 on: July 17, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

I will call your whistling and raise you finger drumming.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

snowdragon

« Reply #12633 on: July 17, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

I call your finger drumming and raise you drumming with pens/pencils or worst of all drumsticks on table ( or blackboards)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #12634 on: July 17, 2013, 11:24:48 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

I call your finger drumming and raise you drumming with pens/pencils or worst of all drumsticks on table ( or blackboards)

I see all of that, and raise you some guy pecking a credit card rapidly upon a counter.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12635 on: July 17, 2013, 11:35:36 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

I'll see that and raise you 3 -5 kids doing at the same time in different rhythms around the room. Lets say I had a large number of very kinetic learners last year. I told them that every one  of them had better join the Stomp group or Rhythm Club next year. I've already recommended them to Mr. L and Mrs. W.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12636 on: July 17, 2013, 11:59:13 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

I'll see that and raise you 3 -5 kids doing at the same time in different rhythms around the room. Lets say I had a large number of very kinetic learners last year. I told them that every one  of them had better join the Stomp group or Rhythm Club next year. I've already recommended them to Mr. L and Mrs. W.

I'll see that,and raise you screeching kids, that imitate police sirens when they go by.

Allyson

« Reply #12637 on: July 18, 2013, 02:33:41 AM »
People who say they want advice, then get all bent out of shape.

Example: Casual Acquaintance asked my advice on, let's say, the best way for her daughter's store to promote a sale of Whozits and Whatsits. She didn't tell me what daughter was doing, but asked an open-ended question.

I asked her, "Are you sure you want my advice?" I asked because sometimes people ask for advice but don't really want it. (To wit, the following conversation.)

CA insisted she did want the advice as I have years of experience promoting Whozits and Whatsits. I gave her my advice.

CA exploded, "But that's not what my daughter is doing!"

I shrugged and said, "Oh? Well, you asked my advice. I gave it. Take it or leave it. It's no skin off my back either way."

"Are you saying my daughter is incompetent! How dare you!"

At which point all conversation around our table ceases and a tablemate -- who is good friends with CA -- intercedes and says, "Now Cami said nothing of the sort. You asked her advice. She gave it.  No one is forcing your daughter to take her advice or saying she's incompetent for doing it another way."

"I don't have to calm down! She insulted my daughter!"

The rest of the table then tries to calm her down.

At that point, I got up and left, figuring that she was enjoying either her anger and/or the spotlight of offended motherhood.

The good news is that she's no longer talking to me.

This situation just happened almost exactly on a blog I follow. Same thing--asks for advice, gets advice, is unhappy with the person supposedly making 'assumptions'. It's like...well, yes, of course they make assumptions to answer your question, since they aren't you and don't know all the backstory. If they got a detail wrong, sure, correct them, but they are going off the info *you* provided! Though in this case it was less angry and more passive-aggressive 'I don't appreciate being told I treated my friend badly!' type of comments.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12638 on: July 18, 2013, 11:39:13 AM »
Flies. We have a few in the house that I'm guessing probably got in any of the times the doors opened this summer.  They like to fly around my head in the mornings. Drives me looney.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

EmmaJ.

« Reply #12639 on: July 18, 2013, 12:04:25 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

I see all of that, and raise you some guy pecking a credit card rapidly upon a counter.

Gum popping, smacking, cracking, chomping.....  Ugh. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #12640 on: July 18, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »
Pen clicking.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Cami

« Reply #12641 on: July 18, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

You've just described what it's like sharing a home office with my husband. He will, at the same time do all FIVE of these:

1. play music
2. hum or whistle or sing along
3. tap his foot
4. tap a pencil or pen against his desk with one hand
5. finger drum with the other hand

I am in the process (he says) of breaking his heart because I am moving my desk out of our shared office. I cannot work with that going on. More to the point, forget "work" -- I cannot do anything but focus on not beaning him with a book. 

BarensMom

« Reply #12642 on: July 18, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »
I once worked with a woman who popped her gum constantly...all day, every day.  Asking her to stop would give one a 5-minute reprieve at most.  Going to the supervisor would stop her for a day or two, then...POP!  It took the entire cube farm going over the supervisor's head to bigger supervisor to get that woman moved to a satellite location.  She still popped her gum, but, since she was alone, no one else had to listen to it.

I admit I was written up once for "being distracting" during a meeting.  I didn't realize I was flipping my badge and forth, until my supervisor turned and looked at me cross-eyed.  Then I fell asleep and started snoring (it was a very long, boring meeting), according to the co-worker who elbowed me awake.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:21:34 PM by BarensMom »

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12643 on: July 18, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »
I once worked with a woman who popped her gum constantly...all day, every day.  Asking her to stop would give one a 5-minute reprieve at most.  Going to the supervisor would stop her for a day or two, then...POP!  It took the entire cube farm going over the supervisor's head to bigger supervisor to get that woman moved to a satellite location.  She still popped her gum, but, since she was alone, no one else had to listen to it.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just ban gum chewing at work?

BarensMom

« Reply #12644 on: July 18, 2013, 12:23:45 PM »

Wouldn't it have been easier to just ban gum chewing at work?

The obvious never occurs to TPTB at Evil Oil Company.  They were champions of Rube Goldberg-type solutions to any problem.