Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1684176 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12645 on: July 18, 2013, 12:27:37 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

I will call your whistling and raise you finger drumming.

I call your finger drumming and raise you drumming with pens/pencils or worst of all drumsticks on table ( or blackboards)
I'll see that and raise you 3 -5 kids doing at the same time in different rhythms around the room. Lets say I had a large number of very kinetic learners last year. I told them that every one  of them had better join the Stomp group or Rhythm Club next year. I've already recommended them to Mr. L and Mrs. W.

I'll see that,and raise you screeching kids, that imitate police sirens when they go by.

I'll see that, and raise you non-stop racing motorcycles and the incredible noise they make.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12646 on: July 18, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »
One word:

Whistling.

I will call your whistling and raise you finger drumming.

I call your finger drumming and raise you drumming with pens/pencils or worst of all drumsticks on table ( or blackboards)
I'll see that and raise you 3 -5 kids doing at the same time in different rhythms around the room. Lets say I had a large number of very kinetic learners last year. I told them that every one  of them had better join the Stomp group or Rhythm Club next year. I've already recommended them to Mr. L and Mrs. W.

I'll see that,and raise you screeching kids, that imitate police sirens when they go by.

I'll see that, and raise you non-stop racing motorcycles and the incredible noise they make.

And my mumbling CW who berates herself on a daily basis. ONe day something is going to fly over the cubicle wall, and I will have no knowledge of what happened!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12647 on: July 18, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
People who know better, yet still hold out for hope that something will happen. I have a relative who was involved with someone for 4+ (maybe longer?) years. Both are in their 50's and both ahve been married before; him once, she three times, twice to DH #2. She claims they make a great couple, have fun together, etc. but she wants to get married and he does not. She also spends like its going out of style, he doesn not. She has cats; he has a dog who DETESTS cats with every fiber of his being.

In short, not compatible in ways that are pretty important if you are thinking of taking that step. But she seemed to think they were. She had dumped him a year ago, gave him an ultimatium, but then went back and things were the same. She just gave him the boot a couple of days ago, but still says she will go back if he presents a ring and date.

Um no, he isn't going to, he's TOLD you he won't, and he's not suddenly going to say, WOW, i was so wrong, i messed up, i need you, here's the ring, let's do this. He just isn't. I'm trying to be supportive and objective, but I will admit, when she first told me, i had to stop myself from saying "thank deity, what took you so long?????" I don't care for him much, as you can tell.

Shalamar

« Reply #12648 on: July 18, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »
Re gum popping:  when I was a contractor, I was assigned to a company for some Y2K work.  One of the employees there constantly popped his gum, and it drove me crazy.  Thing is, it also drove his boss crazy, and she called him on it every single time.  "*Pop*"  "Jim?  Cut it out."  He'd stop, because she was his boss.  So, that was fine ...

... until she went on vacation for two weeks.  Jim announced gleefully that he was going to take advantage of her absence and pop his gum to his heart's content.  And he did.  I thought I was going to to stark raving mad.  As a contractor, I didn't feel comfortable about asking him to stop.

(For the record, Jim wasn't some young dude - he was in his fifties.)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12649 on: July 18, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
MIL does all of these:
Sucks her teeth
Pops gum
Drums fingers or feet on a surface
Clicks pens
Hums

She wonders why we don't visit more.  ::)

Pen^2

« Reply #12650 on: July 18, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
MIL does all of these:
Sucks her teeth
Pops gum
Clicks pens
Hums

... how does one suck one's own teeth? I've been trying (much to DH's amusement) and just can't manage it.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12651 on: July 18, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »
MIL does all of these:
Sucks her teeth
Pops gum
Clicks pens
Hums

... how does one suck one's own teeth? I've been trying (much to DH's amusement) and just can't manage it.

Gently bite upper lip against lower teeth, suck in.

Gently bite lower lip against upper teeth, suck in.

That's how I check that my flossing is good - in private, of course.

Carotte

« Reply #12652 on: July 18, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »

Gently bite upper lip against lower teeth, suck in.

Gently bite lower lip against upper teeth, suck in.

That's how I check that my flossing is good - in private, of course.
[/quote]

There's also running your tongue on your front upper teeth and sucking air.

I hate hate hate that. Thankfully I only know one person who does this, a relative that I only see every couple of years, and I only have to avoid her just after meals.

mmswm

« Reply #12653 on: July 18, 2013, 05:34:04 PM »
I live a few short blocks from a major trucking route. My parents have lived in this house for 20 years, and for the longest time, I simply didn't hear the sound of hundreds of semis going up and down that road all night.  For some reason, in the last few days, the noise has become deafening to me.  It's driving me batty.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12654 on: July 18, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
People who don't pay attention to what a voicemail says, or don't think it through.  I was out sick from work on Monday.  I updated my voicemail remotely to say that I was out, and how to get a hold of someone.  I came back to 30+ voicemails from people, some of whom left multiple messages berating me for not calling them back right away.  One lady, on her third call of that day, actually said, "So your voicemail says you're out sick, call me back, have a good day!".  ??? 

Specky

« Reply #12655 on: July 18, 2013, 10:45:20 PM »
My DH whistles, twitter-whistles, gurgles, clicks, pops, trills, and hums nearly constantly.  He also makes a "pooooooo" sound when he sleeps.  He has recently added finger-drumming.  One child drums and taps and the other pops his knuckles, but asks me to ask his sibling to stop tapping/drumming.  They wonder why I go out in the back yard and keep the chickens company in the rain.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #12656 on: July 19, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »
People who don't pay attention to what a voicemail says, or don't think it through.  I was out sick from work on Monday.  I updated my voicemail remotely to say that I was out, and how to get a hold of someone.  I came back to 30+ voicemails from people, some of whom left multiple messages berating me for not calling them back right away.  One lady, on her third call of that day, actually said, "So your voicemail says you're out sick, call me back, have a good day!".  ???

I hope you're feeling better!

Something similar happened to me with email.  I didn't have a smart phone at the time and I was on vacation vacation (rather than just chilling out at home).  I dutifully set up my out of office message to let people know that I was on vacation and didn't have access to email and very little access to voice mail.  Please contact So and So if this can't wait until my return.  I left a similar outgoing message on my office phone.  I ALSO sent a note to everyone I work for reminding them of my vacation and that I'd be incommunicado.

I came back to several nastygrams from someone on my team trying to set up meetings.  Why wasn't I responding?  She needs these meetings NOW!  Eventually, she copied my boss, who reminded her I was out and she should talk to So and So.

Apparently, she never read my OOO message or just decided that everyone had a smart phone with instant email access and I was reading her emails while in the Great Outdoors but had the temerity to ignore her.   ::)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12657 on: July 19, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »
For the last year or two of my working life I was sharing an office with a knuckle-cracker. 

She would type furiously for about ten minutes.  After that, she'd stop typing and methodically crack every knuckle of every finger on both hands.  Then, she'd  reverse the process and crack every knuckle back before resuming typing. 

She was also a snuffler and putting the big box of tissues between us didn't do any good. 

Retirement became more and more welcome. 

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #12658 on: July 19, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »
I have a new one. This is an annoyance big enough to drive this box into becoming a pyramid!

It is very irritating to walk into a store with a specific item in mind, not find it on the shelf and ask someone if they potentially have it in stock ("Excuse me, I couldn't find any Wibbly Wobblies in in the Timey Wimey aisle, do you have any in stock?")..........and the person goes and examines the same shelves in the same aisle I just scoured a minute ago, huffs and says no, they don't have it.

When I ask someone if they have something in stock, it means I did not find it on the shelf and hoped they had the item somewhere in their inventory.

The reason this bothers me is in other stores the employees will immediately go into the back instead of over to the shelf! Some places, I ask whether or not they have Cool Bowties in stock, and they go straight into their computer to check on their inventory, tell me yes or no and I proceed from there. A few places have gone an extra step and given me other store locations that might have Cool Bowties in stock, or they will order it for me and I can then do an in store pickup.

I dislike shopping for electronics online, as I prefer to look at the product in-hand. I will do it if it's something I absolutely need or I've used it before.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

Pen^2

« Reply #12659 on: July 19, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »
I have a new one. This is an annoyance big enough to drive this box into becoming a pyramid!

It is very irritating to walk into a store with a specific item in mind, not find it on the shelf and ask someone if they potentially have it in stock ("Excuse me, I couldn't find any Wibbly Wobblies in in the Timey Wimey aisle, do you have any in stock?")..........and the person goes and examines the same shelves in the same aisle I just scoured a minute ago, huffs and says no, they don't have it.

When I ask someone if they have something in stock, it means I did not find it on the shelf and hoped they had the item somewhere in their inventory.

The reason this bothers me is in other stores the employees will immediately go into the back instead of over to the shelf! Some places, I ask whether or not they have Cool Bowties in stock, and they go straight into their computer to check on their inventory, tell me yes or no and I proceed from there. A few places have gone an extra step and given me other store locations that might have Cool Bowties in stock, or they will order it for me and I can then do an in store pickup.

I dislike shopping for electronics online, as I prefer to look at the product in-hand. I will do it if it's something I absolutely need or I've used it before.

Grrrr this. I'll say, "hi, I've just come from aisle 4 and noticed that you're all out of huon particles. Do you possibly have any in the back or in stock somewhere else? No, I don't want to check aisle 4 again, can you just tell me, yes or no, if there are any stored elsewhere? Yes or no? Huon particles outside aisle 4?" And yet off the staff member will trot to aisle 4.

I get that a lot of people will just not look for something, and I know there are a lot of dim shoppers out there. But when I've asked specifically just for a yes/no answer to a question, it's very frustrating when they just walk away to do what they think I've asked, despite my protests.