Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1571213 times)

laud_shy_girl

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12660 on: July 19, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
I needed liners for Baby Girls Fabric nappies.
Tesco do have them but you have to order them most of the time.
However the mother-ship shop has had them in the last few times I have been in. So dangerously low of liners I go to MS Tesco and they are remodeling. All the baby stuff has been moved. No biggie, I look but can not see any.

I look for an assistant, no luck, until I spot a man in bright yellow holding a sign saying "I can help!"
so I ask if they still stock them, I can't see them, can he check the computer"

His response... "oh, I don't know, I can't help you with that."  ??? why are you holding a sign saying you can help when the first thing out of your mouth is that.

Not even I "I am sorry, I don't know, but let me find some one who does/take you to Customer service and they can look"

I mean, if you can't help me find something in the shop, what exactly do you do? Drove me mad.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

BarensMom

« Reply #12661 on: July 19, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »
Some places, I ask whether or not they have Cool Bowties in stock, and they go straight into their computer to check on their inventory, tell me yes or no and I proceed from there. A few places have gone an extra step and given me other store locations that might have Cool Bowties in stock, or they will order it for me and I can then do an in store pickup.

I don't think you have to worry about cool bow ties (or fezzes) anymore.  :'( ;D :'(

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12662 on: July 19, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »
When I have an techy issue, and try and solve it myself, can't and then end up doing the same thing over and over. My one cable box died. So I first tried to unplug it and plug it back in. No go.

I then went online, which gave me the same advice, plus a couple of steps. Still no go. I then called, and through their automated system, went through the same steps, as well as having my box remotely reset. STILL no go.

I finally got a rep, who then wanted me to do exactly what I had done multiple times already. And still nothing. He then said, well, can you unplug the box, and plut it into the other outlet, to make sure its the box? I said no, not easily, and can you please just send me a new one? Which he did.

I get that its their job to explore all options, but I had explained to him i did this and that umpteen times and it still wasn't working. Had I not ocme out and asked for a new box, who knows how long it oculd have taken!

PeterM

« Reply #12663 on: July 19, 2013, 01:05:51 PM »
It is very irritating to walk into a store with a specific item in mind, not find it on the shelf and ask someone if they potentially have it in stock ("Excuse me, I couldn't find any Wibbly Wobblies in in the Timey Wimey aisle, do you have any in stock?")..........and the person goes and examines the same shelves in the same aisle I just scoured a minute ago, huffs and says no, they don't have it.

We get a variation on this at my library, and it drives me up the wall. We put patron holds out on shelves and put slips with the patron's name in each item. They're all shelved alphabetically by last name, so you just go to the appropriate spot on the well-marked shelves and take your items.

It is extremely common for a patron to come up to me and say they checked the shelf but their holds are not on it. When this happens, my first step is always to go to the shelf and look for myself. Sometimes the hold isn't there at all, and I have to figure out where it actually is. Sometimes the hold is just slightly mis-shelved and easy to miss but also easy to find if you're used to the system. At least half the time the hold is precisely where it's supposed to be. The reasons patrons don't notice that their holds are exactly where they're supposed to be include but are not limited to

1) It's a small item that got lost between larger items. Happens a lot with CDs wedged between books, for example. Perfectly understandable.

2) They were looking in the wrong section entirely. We have the shelves marked off by signs with letters of the alphabet on them. The number of times I have seen someone walk over to, say, the C section and carefully peruse all the last names starting with C before coming over to tell me that their hold is not on the shelf and that their last name starts with, say, R make me weep for the fate of humanity. And no, their first name doesn't begin with C either.

3) They didn't look through the entire section. We have one guy whose last name begins with Er who has on multiple occasions told me his hold isn't on the shelf. When I walk over there with him and find it exactly where it's supposed to be, on the second shelf of Es, he tells me he didn't realize there was more than one shelf. He apparently thought the E section ended with Edwards and didn't look at the shelf below that. I'm not sure what he thought was up with that row of books that separated the shelf he looked at from the beginning of the Fs. This happens a lot, though this one gentleman is the only repeat offender.

Now, I agree that grocery items on the shelf are not the same thing, but I would bet that the employees who check the shelf frequently find the supposedly sold out items when dealing with customers other than you.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12664 on: July 19, 2013, 01:57:55 PM »
I've often asked an employee for X that I didn't see in aisle Y. S/he'll go over with me and low and behold, X has magically appeared on the shelf.  I just didn't see it the first time through.  So I do understand why they do that, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who develops a blind spot for the exact thing I'm looking for.   :P
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12665 on: July 19, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
My pet peeve is with my own CWs at the store. we will put stuff on hold for customers, and i was always taught alphabetical order of names if by LAST name. But they all seem to think jane smith goes under J, and Mary Jones under M. it makes me nuts.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12666 on: July 19, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
It is very irritating to walk into a store with a specific item in mind, not find it on the shelf and ask someone if they potentially have it in stock ("Excuse me, I couldn't find any Wibbly Wobblies in in the Timey Wimey aisle, do you have any in stock?")..........and the person goes and examines the same shelves in the same aisle I just scoured a minute ago, huffs and says no, they don't have it.

We get a variation on this at my library, and it drives me up the wall. We put patron holds out on shelves and put slips with the patron's name in each item. They're all shelved alphabetically by last name, so you just go to the appropriate spot on the well-marked shelves and take your items.

It is extremely common for a patron to come up to me and say they checked the shelf but their holds are not on it. When this happens, my first step is always to go to the shelf and look for myself. Sometimes the hold isn't there at all, and I have to figure out where it actually is. Sometimes the hold is just slightly mis-shelved and easy to miss but also easy to find if you're used to the system. At least half the time the hold is precisely where it's supposed to be. The reasons patrons don't notice that their holds are exactly where they're supposed to be include but are not limited to

1) It's a small item that got lost between larger items. Happens a lot with CDs wedged between books, for example. Perfectly understandable.

2) They were looking in the wrong section entirely. We have the shelves marked off by signs with letters of the alphabet on them. The number of times I have seen someone walk over to, say, the C section and carefully peruse all the last names starting with C before coming over to tell me that their hold is not on the shelf and that their last name starts with, say, R make me weep for the fate of humanity. And no, their first name doesn't begin with C either.

3) They didn't look through the entire section. We have one guy whose last name begins with Er who has on multiple occasions told me his hold isn't on the shelf. When I walk over there with him and find it exactly where it's supposed to be, on the second shelf of Es, he tells me he didn't realize there was more than one shelf. He apparently thought the E section ended with Edwards and didn't look at the shelf below that. I'm not sure what he thought was up with that row of books that separated the shelf he looked at from the beginning of the Fs. This happens a lot, though this one gentleman is the only repeat offender.

Now, I agree that grocery items on the shelf are not the same thing, but I would bet that the employees who check the shelf frequently find the supposedly sold out items when dealing with customers other than you.
My library has a similar set up.  Except they put the books in envelopes with a sticker on the outside, to prevent people from browsing the 3 rows of hold shelves. The sticker has last name first 3 letters of first name. Great - except there is a Hebert, Kim who is also a patron. The font makes it every easy to not see the r in Herbert. Our books get mixed together all the time. So I've taken to checking what is in the envelop (those big inter office mail kind), before going up to the check out. Which means I get volunteers explaining I can't go through someone else's books. I ran into the other lady a couple of times. She is nice and we have very different tastes in books. We asked if there was anyway they could print out the whole first name. They can't.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12667 on: July 19, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »
The app for my local news station. I have it on my phone, and it sends alerts, so I'll click on it, to see the fully story, only to find the "breaking news" is the last one. They don't seem to be able to update and sync the alerts they send, with what's in the app.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12668 on: July 19, 2013, 09:31:50 PM »
In my graduate department, I was the official "social chair" for three years. Now my friends from the program think I must orchestrate all interactions, even the ones just within our circle.

For example, several of us are going out of town for a classmate's wedding next weekend. I booked the hotel and forwarded the information to everybody. Now that the bride wants to know where people are staying, they all emailed to ask me. Except they all also emailed the bride to tell her to ask me, so I got 8 emails: 7 from friends and 1 from the bride with all of their names.

Now people are asking me how we're getting there. I say, "I don't know, why don't you send out an email to get the ball rolling?" Has anybody actually sent an email? No. Normally I wouldn't mind sending out a group email, but I'm preparing for my oral exams and wish just for once somebody else would take 3 minutes to hit reply all to any of the dozen email conversations we've all had in the last week and written "Hey, how are we getting to the wedding next week?"

I'm sure this grumpiness will pass when I'm done with my orals but sheesh people, take responsibility for once!

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #12669 on: July 20, 2013, 07:05:43 PM »
Trying to sleep with clogged ears from a cold is a pain in the butt (or ears in my case), I have a nasty summer cold, and have tried the inhaling steam, standing in a hot shower, everything, but end up congested a while after, GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

blahblahblah

« Reply #12670 on: July 21, 2013, 01:44:56 AM »
Petty roommate issues:

I have three roommates. About a month ago, we all cleaned out the fridge and agreed to divvy up the fridge space into four equal sections, one for each of us, so that none of us could completely hog it. And yet one (or more) roommate keeps putting their stuff into my section. Just today I found a pizza box. I promptly removed it and shoved it into the very bottom of the fridge (which is technically "free space", unclaimed by any of us).

Dear roommate: You were there when we divvied up the fridge. I don't care if I still have ample space while yours is filled, I'm territorial and if you want to encroach on me, at least *ask* me first. Or, better yet, clean out the junk in your section to free up space. First things first, learn how to store things efficiently. I'm only guessing you don't know how to do that because you shoved an entire box of pizza into the fridge. That box takes up a lot of room.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12671 on: July 21, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
When you find something you really like in a store, and then its gone. Costco and Trader Joes, I'm looking at you. I can buy the same item for months on end, then poof, nowhere to be found. k

Snooks

« Reply #12672 on: July 21, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »
One of the food chains around here has taken to offering these hand held scanners that you can take along with you as you shop.  They're great.  You scan your club card, take the scanner that's lit up and as you put items into your cart (bagging as you go) and it keeps your total as you go, also taking into account the club discounts.  Which is awesome for someone such as myself that's somewhat math challenged.

Then once you're done, you take it to the self serve registers that are set up for this device, scan the barcode and then when you scan your card it brings up all your purchases. You can apply coupons if you have them, pay and leave since you're already bagged up.  Really comes in handy when you have a toddler along that tends to get impatient by that point.

I also love the fact you only have to pack everything once, not into the cart onto the checkout into your bags.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12673 on: July 21, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »
When people ask what you prefer when they clearly want to one particular thing.

Last night I went to dinner with a friend. The hostess asked if we wanted to sit inside or out.

Friend: Oh, I don't know. mbbored, where do you want to sit?
Me: Outside might be nice.
Friend: Oh, I wanted to sit inside. Can you please seat us inside?
Me: Well, why did you bother to ask ask me?
Friend: I was hoping you'd say it yourself.

Argh!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12674 on: July 21, 2013, 08:33:43 PM »
When people ask what you prefer when they clearly want to one particular thing.

Last night I went to dinner with a friend. The hostess asked if we wanted to sit inside or out.

Friend: Oh, I don't know. mbbored, where do you want to sit?
Me: Outside might be nice.
Friend: Oh, I wanted to sit inside. Can you please seat us inside?
Me: Well, why did you bother to ask ask me?
Friend: I was hoping you'd say it yourself.

Argh!

It's a dreaded variation of "Where  do you want to eat lunch?" or "Do you want x or y for dinner?"

They all drive me bananas.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah