Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1650533 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12690 on: July 23, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »
The vendor at Whole Foods who started out by startling us, barking "Any Vodka Drinkers" behind us while we were looking at wines. He then started his spiel about how his vodka was "gluten free" and "sugar free."

Dude, it's distilled.  Unless someone added something to it, it's going to be gluten free. Stop trying to cash in on the credulous suckers who are taken in by the latest fads. Sugar free? Well, yes, but it's still full of carbohydrates so it's not that much better. Again, if there's sugar in your vodka then someone has added there; fermentation and distillation take care of pretty much all of the natural sugar that was in the mash to start with. I'll tell you what: Find me 2 bottles of regular (unadulterated) vodka that have gluten and sugar and I'll buy one of yours.

I didn't say all of that, but it must have been clear on my face because he slunk away.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #12691 on: July 23, 2013, 07:52:01 PM »
People on Facebook posting about how "blessed" they are. If I see it one more time I'm going to scream.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

lilfox

« Reply #12692 on: July 23, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »
This isn't so little but I expressed my unhappiness at the time so it didn't become a big thing.

BG: over the years, my parents' house has gotten so cluttered that by now it's one step from a hoarder's nest.  Examples include entire rooms being blocked off for "storage" and you do have to move things off the kitchen table or couches to find places to sit.  Every room has too much furniture, and things just don't get put away - everything is out "for a reason."  They refuse to let my brother or me help organize things even though we ask often and it clearly bothers everyone.  I never feel comfortable there anymore, but this last visit was the last to that house so it's a moot point (parents are moving soon).

Anyway, my parents are so used to (overwhelmed by, resigned to) the clutter that, although they'd known for 6+ weeks that I was coming to visit with my 3.5 yr old DD, almost nothing had been tidied before we arrived.  Fine. I can live with clutter for just a few days, and DD is too young to care or need much space.  So, what drove me up the wall this visit?

The morning that we arrived, my mom took out and placed on the kitchen table a drawer FULL of sharp knives.  And left it there.   :o  I still have no idea what she was thinking or why that had to be done that day (and then just left out).  She did put it away immediately after I pointed it out, but seriously?  Neither of my parents thought that was a bad idea with a preschooler coming to stay?

I did tell them that if their next house ever looks like this one, we won't stay there on visits.

lilfox

« Reply #12693 on: July 23, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »
And one on my MIL - when we come to visit, we repeatedly offer to help do various chores, and she regularly turns us down and tells us to relax and just enjoy ourselves.  Then without fail, at some point during the visit she gets upset that no one is helping out.  But she doesn't say anything, she just gets quiet and avoids everyone for a while.  The thing is, we're not doing nothing, we do take turns cooking, cleaning up, and unloading the dishwasher. I have no idea what else she thinks we should be doing if she keeps telling us not to do any other stuff.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12694 on: July 23, 2013, 08:19:32 PM »
And one on my MIL - when we come to visit, we repeatedly offer to help do various chores, and she regularly turns us down and tells us to relax and just enjoy ourselves.  Then without fail, at some point during the visit she gets upset that no one is helping out.  But she doesn't say anything, she just gets quiet and avoids everyone for a while.  The thing is, we're not doing nothing, we do take turns cooking, cleaning up, and unloading the dishwasher. I have no idea what else she thinks we should be doing if she keeps telling us not to do any other stuff.

My mother used to be guilty of this. but when I lived at home, and it came time to get ready for company, holidays etc. I'd ask what she wanted me to do, she'd give me one thing, and I'd do it. then ask waht's next? "Let me see, give me a minute" which turned into 10 or more, so i'd go off and turn on the tv or pick up a book.

she'd then get angry that I wasn't helping! I finallly told her, give me a list, so i can go boom, boom, boom, get ity all done, or you get no help at all. and it worked.

I do it now when I visit. Tell me everything you need help with, and when. is it something you need now, or just sometime before I leave. that seems to work too.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12695 on: July 23, 2013, 08:24:08 PM »
When things aren't done properly. I was gone last week, dog and house sitting. when I got home, the entire 6 foot wire shelf/clothing rod on one side of my closet had ripped completely out of the wall. Grrrr. So i had to remove all the hanging clothes, everything on the shelf, and everything underneath, and wait for maintenance.

the problem? the brackets were not attached to the wall studs! I knew just from looking at them since there were gaping holes where the brackets had torn away. The new ones are, but there are only 3, towards the middle, and there are about 2 feet on either end CRIVINS! nothing. I can get them at HD for about $4 each, so will be adding two to each shelf, one on either end this weekend. had they been properly attached to begin with, this probably wouldn't have happened.

Allyson

« Reply #12696 on: July 23, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »
People who make a huge deal about how they don't care about X news event. I swear I have heard far more people complaining about how they don't care about the royal birth, than I have heard people talking about the actual birth! Stop telling me you don't care and just stop caring.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #12697 on: July 23, 2013, 10:47:22 PM »
People who make a huge deal about how they don't care about X news event. I swear I have heard far more people complaining about how they don't care about the royal birth, than I have heard people talking about the actual birth! Stop telling me you don't care and just stop caring.

Oh my goodness, yes!  The first I heard about the birth was on FB from someone making fun of the hype.  I was sitting there going, "What hype?"  I think for every serious news story/Facebook post/etc. I see on the topic, I see at least 10 complaining about it!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12698 on: July 24, 2013, 09:01:34 AM »
Oh, but half the staff at my office have been discussing it and it is on the television every time I walk by! All I wanted to know is that mom and baby were healthy. I don't understand why this story is top headlines on even my local news station.

Another reason why I avoid television news.

Only potato or grape vodkas are naturally gluten-free. Many vodkas on the market are made with wheat or rye and will cause reactions in people with celiac disease.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #12699 on: July 24, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »
When I'm working on someone's expense report and I find something unusual, I track down the person for clarification.  I usually say something like, "Hey, I noticed on June 20th that you submitted a receipt for [unusual item.]  What was that for?"

Then they get all huffy and say "Well, I really needed that item for [specific business purpose]."

That's FINE.  I just wish people would note that on the receipt.  They should know by now, I ask every single time there's an expense that isn't quite clear.  And they always get huffy about it.  I'm not questioning the need for the purchase, as long as finance is cool with it, I could not care less.  I just need to know how to note that particular purchase in the report.   ::)

(this really bugged me today when someone submitted this really random, very expensive receipt for a piece of tech equipment.  No note of approval.  No explanation about what it's for.  And then he got upset when I was 'questioning' him.  Better me than finance, pal.  In fact, they won't even question you.  They'll just deny it.)

And also, when people do try to submit something that isn't allowed, guess who gets to hear all about how awful it it is that finance won't let them buy books to read on the plane on the company dime?  ::)  ::)

Dude, I am the wrong person to complain to.  The Head of Finance can be reached at XXXX.  Go talk to her.

cwm

« Reply #12700 on: July 24, 2013, 02:46:26 PM »
Why do people think it is appropriate to wear a gallon of our fume? It's awful pretty much any time, but 5:30 in the morning in the ore-op waiting room if an extremely busy, major hospital is downright inexcusable. I nearly became a patient myself from being assaulted bu the mixed scents of several if these people.

We have Stinky Perfume Lady at our Monday night regular haunt for dinner. My uncle left her a note once, stating very politely that she might not realize how strong her perfume is, but that it was putting people off of their dinners and disturbing the other patrons. (Such a polite note from my uncle is very weird in and of itself, but that's another set of stories entirely.) It tapered off for about a week. Then it was back with a vengeance. And the whole family is just so...I don't know, entitled?

Sometimes it'll just be me and mom and Sis and Sproglet at dinner. Sometimes it'll include Uncle, his GF, her daughter, sis's BF and my BF. In these cases, we need a bigger table. There's a sum total of ONE big table in the restaurant. So we don't sit at it very often, but when we do, we fill it. And SPL and her family glare at us because in the past month THEY'VE started bringing their whole family and they ALWAYS need that table, and it's so HORRIBLE that some people are sitting at THEIR table, and they can't sit across two booths because SPL and other woman are so old they can't hear, and the baby gets fussy when they're not all together.

Dude, if you wanted to sit there together, get there before we do and sit there. If you want to come at the same time you do every week, which is a full half hour after we arrive, and we're there, deal with it. Don't sit there in the entryway to the place making the asthmatics wheeze and everyone else's eyes water and complain loudly that there's nowhere to sit, and should you just go someplace else where you'll all be able to sit together without upsetting the baby. Either split up your group or go someplace else. Standing around complaining loudly and shooting our large group at the large table dirty looks is not making your group look too kind.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #12701 on: July 24, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
Oh, but half the staff at my office have been discussing it and it is on the television every time I walk by! All I wanted to know is that mom and baby were healthy. I don't understand why this story is top headlines on even my local news station.

Another reason why I avoid television news.

This. It's been splashed across the headlines for days now. She's in labor...the baby has been born...it's a boy...the baby has met so-and-so...you can see the baby's hand in this picture...the baby's name is such-and-such. People are getting annoyed about all the hype over something that has no impact whatsoever on their lives.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

squeakers

« Reply #12702 on: July 24, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »
My keyboard dropping letters or capitalization.  It doesn't even have the excuse of being a wireless one right now.

It's really embarrassing on first posts on Facebook: you can't edit those.  So it's either catch the typos and immediately delete/re-post or correct myself in the second post.

I just hate annoying my friends by re-posting ("Oh, she posted.. where did it go?") and sometimes I don't catch the error(s) until much later (that whole "Your eyes read and fill in the right word" thing).

Spell-check is my friend but it doesn't catch the difference between "was" and "as". And my mistakes are seldom as funny as ones like these: http://www.happyplace.com/3645/the-best-obnoxious-responses-to-misspellings-on-facebook
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12703 on: July 25, 2013, 03:01:55 AM »
MIL does all of these:
Sucks her teeth
Pops gum
Drums fingers or feet on a surface
Clicks pens
Hums

She wonders why we don't visit more.  ::)
Mine went "Hmhmhmmhmhmhmhm."  Not humming a tune, just this random almost-grunting hummingish noise.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12704 on: July 25, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
When I'm working on someone's expense report and I find something unusual, I track down the person for clarification.  I usually say something like, "Hey, I noticed on June 20th that you submitted a receipt for [unusual item.]  What was that for?"

Then they get all huffy and say "Well, I really needed that item for [specific business purpose]."

That's FINE.  I just wish people would note that on the receipt.  They should know by now, I ask every single time there's an expense that isn't quite clear.

Maybe you need a different wording.  Try, "What should I write in the 'business purpose' slot?" It tweaks it just a little bit more, and makes it clear that YOU are not asking; the FORM is asking.