Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1706686 times)

2littlemonkeys

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12705 on: July 25, 2013, 12:35:26 PM »
When I'm working on someone's expense report and I find something unusual, I track down the person for clarification.  I usually say something like, "Hey, I noticed on June 20th that you submitted a receipt for [unusual item.]  What was that for?"

Then they get all huffy and say "Well, I really needed that item for [specific business purpose]."

That's FINE.  I just wish people would note that on the receipt.  They should know by now, I ask every single time there's an expense that isn't quite clear.

Maybe you need a different wording.  Try, "What should I write in the 'business purpose' slot?" It tweaks it just a little bit more, and makes it clear that YOU are not asking; the FORM is asking.

Maybe I'll try that.  I thought it was common knowledge that I was asking so I could code it properly (I sometimes add "I need to note it on the report."  Maybe it's not so common.  But it is always the same people, LOL.

Allyson

« Reply #12706 on: July 25, 2013, 02:00:57 PM »
Oh, I hated that part of being a supervisor. People would get huffy when I asked a question there was no ulterior motive behind. "Have you done X yet?" would get a lot of "Well, no, I had to do Y and Z and I was busy!" Cool! I just needed to know if it was done yet. Argh.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12707 on: July 25, 2013, 03:52:41 PM »
Oh, I hated that part of being a supervisor. People would get huffy when I asked a question there was no ulterior motive behind. "Have you done X yet?" would get a lot of "Well, no, I had to do Y and Z and I was busy!" Cool! I just needed to know if it was done yet. Argh.

While I'm not a supervisor, in this same vein, I hate when asking my co-workers if they've done this or that. Mainly at my PT retail job, and mainly so if not, I'll do it, or if they have, I'll do something else. Stuff like vacuuming the parts of the store that need it, emptying the trash, taking the hangers in the back, and so on. Some of them get quite defensive. Look, I'm not your manager, I just want to know what has been done, and what needs to be done, so we can ALL get out at a reasonable time!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #12708 on: July 25, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »
The Sweetie often deals with her sales agents via text. They could save everyone a lot of time if, when she texts them "How many sales tonight?," they'd just text back a number instead of a story about how SLOOOOoooowwwww it's been, and how SUUUUUCKYYYyyyyy this event is....
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #12709 on: July 25, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »
I wonder if the sales agents don't feel that simply answer "$750" would come across as abrupt and rude. Perhaps she could address this in a future meeting?

"Hey guys. I need the sales total at the end of the day so I can put the report together (or whatever). I am not judging you on it when I text. I just need the number. By the end of the day, I, too, am tired and want to finish things up. I will be glad to commiserate with you at a different time or to sit down to analyse what happened at the even and how we can improve our participation there. I would appreciate a short, direct answer when I ask the sales total."

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12710 on: July 25, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
Not being given time for lunch.
I went to a staff development today. It was at a school out by my farm. There aren't many places to each lunch. Normally we are given 1.5 hours for lunch when staff development is held here. But the presenter had to leave early so they cut an it to an hour. Most places are at least 5 miles away. We asked for to go boxes and our tickets with 20 min. to get back. Explaining we were out of time. He took the whole 20 min to get us our checks  the kicker he just had to punch what we had on the IPad and run our cards. He had the Ipad with him when we asked to pay. Why make us wait 20 min?
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

diesel_darlin

« Reply #12711 on: July 25, 2013, 10:20:09 PM »
Once AGAIN my FB newsfeed is covered in the latest glurge in the guise of supporting cancer. People, I know your hearts are in the right place, but FB posts do nothing.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12712 on: July 26, 2013, 02:37:53 PM »
Greeting cards that make noise. Tomorrow is DH's birthday so I was trying to find a card at Target and had to ban my older two from looking at any card that made noise.  I left without buying one, deciding that while they're at a friend's, I'll take the Piratebabe and just go without them.

I swear they're magnets for the loudest, most obnoxious and tacky cards.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12713 on: July 26, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
The beautiful weather we've had this week.  That may sound weird, but I know we're going to head back into the oven, and this is just softening me up now. I wish summer could be like this all summer.

Snooks

« Reply #12714 on: July 26, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »
Phones.  I am by no means a technophobe but by golly I hate my phone.  Not only do my big fat sausage fingers mean I'm constantly pressing something I don't want to press, I can't work out how to post on here properly with it and now it's updated and it just keeps saying "connecting" on the stupid software I have to use.  I just want music on my phone, is that too much to ask?  The hot weather may or may not have turned me into a raving lunatic.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12715 on: July 26, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »
Nothing I can help, but rent increases. Just got mine and it's going up $40 in the fall. OUCH, on top of my new car. that's almost $300 more than I wasn't paying 2 months ago. Guess I'm not leaving my PT job anytime soon!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12716 on: July 26, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
Ugh...I'm having some dietary difficulties.  Lets say I need to eat foods A thru F to treat a mineral deficiency that is absurdly easy to fix with diet, but I'm not allowed to eat foods A thru F because they are are my no-no list for another health condition.  It is very important to get these levels up as I am actually showing signs and symptoms of the deficiency.  The ones not on the no-no list I'm allergic too.  Fun times, I tell ya!

I'm stumped, the doctor is stumped.  It's giving me a headache.  I already take doctor prescribed vitamins and minerals.  Doc is looking for something I can actually eat and suggested another supplement in the meantime.  I had to order it and it's not available until next week.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #12717 on: July 26, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
Phones.  I am by no means a technophobe but by golly I hate my phone. 

Thhhhiiiiiissss! I just got a new one on Monday because the old one annoyed me one time too many - and I already hate the new one. I just want it to freaking work, not randomly disconnect calls in the middle of conversations, open applications that I didn't ask it to open, and switch to an audible ring after I've set it to vibrate.

And all of its ringtones are horrid musical ones. There isn't one that sounds like a phone.

I've had three smart phones now and I've hated all of them.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12718 on: July 26, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »
Sounds like a good reason to stick to the old dumbphone...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #12719 on: July 26, 2013, 09:29:44 PM »
My dad's found that using a stylus on his smartphone helps. Maybe that would help y'all dealing with phone issues.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."