Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1708459 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12750 on: July 30, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »
Oddly, I tend to miss when pickles are served on the side.  If they're on the sandwich I'll see it and ask for it without the pickle, but it's like my brain glances over when a pickle's on the side and I don't think to tell the server to just leave off the pickle.
I've tried that.  The waitress protested "But it comes with the pickle!" (Maybe she thought I'd be demanding a partial rebate for the lack of pickle?)  I repeat that I don't want it.  And yes, when the plate came out, there was the pickle, leaking vinegary pickle juice onto the sandwich.  I sent it back. The plate came out again, sans pickle.   The SAME plate, with the same sandwich that the pickle juice rendered inedible in the first place. I rarely demand the manager in a restaurant, but that time was an exception.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12751 on: July 30, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »
Ugh, that would make me crazy! Thankfully when I get the pickle spear there's a lack of juice and I just pawn the pickle off onto a pickle lover, but I'd send it back too if it leaked, and again if it was clear they hadn't fixed the sandwich.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12752 on: July 30, 2013, 09:47:33 PM »
Upon leaving for work in the morning, I throw a yogurt in my bag, and completely forget about it until just now (10pm) thankfully, it didn't open, but it irks me when I do that. and I do it a lot, so you think I'd learn.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12753 on: July 30, 2013, 10:35:31 PM »
Bruises I can't recall the origin of.  I was in the bathroom a week or so ago and noticed a good sized bruised on my thigh but I truly have no memory of when or how I obtained it.  My suspicion is bumping into things, of which I do a lot of, unfortunately. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12754 on: July 31, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
Bruises I can't recall the origin of.  I was in the bathroom a week or so ago and noticed a good sized bruised on my thigh but I truly have no memory of when or how I obtained it.  My suspicion is bumping into things, of which I do a lot of, unfortunately.

Are you my long lost sister? I am very pale, and simply poking me hard will leave a bruise. I get bruises from the adhesive in bandaids when I have bloodwork done! not necessarily the needle, but the tape.

I will see a bruise and wonder, hmmm...where did THAT come from? and have some vague memory of walking into, smacking into, tripping over, something.

And when I do remember, wow, they are usually doozies. I had one a couple of years ago, from work. I was bringing hangers into the back, and was carrying wooden pant hangers. I had one sort of sticking out from my hand, and i hit one end on the wall, jamming the other end INTO my thigh. it started as a big welt, then spread out into a HUGE purple and green bruise, literlaly the size of a grapefruit and lasted for weeks.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12755 on: July 31, 2013, 11:37:34 AM »
We must be related. I am also very pale and am constantly finding bruises on my legs that I don't remember bumping in to anything to cause them.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12756 on: July 31, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »
^ I call those bruises UPIs - unidentified party injuries.  It is a bit of a hold out from my university days because I'm not much of a partier, even then, but it makes for a better story than 'I have no idea'.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shalamar

« Reply #12757 on: July 31, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »
They served ravioli on top of spaghetti?    :o.  I wonder if they've seen "Big Night."

That reminds me of when my husband and I ordered a dish called Crispy Vegetables in a Japanese restaurant.   We were expecting veggies that had been lightly sautéed.   What we got was veggies that had been deep-fried in tempura batter.   Delicious, but not what we'd wanted.

gmatoy

« Reply #12758 on: July 31, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
They served ravioli on top of spaghetti?    :o.  I wonder if they've seen "Big Night."

That reminds me of when my husband and I ordered a dish called Crispy Vegetables in a Japanese restaurant.   We were expecting veggies that had been lightly sautéed.   What we got was veggies that had been deep-fried in tempura batter.   Delicious, but not what we'd wanted.

Having just had tempura for the first time, I actually understand the difference now! I love both but they just aren't the same!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12759 on: July 31, 2013, 02:33:11 PM »
I'm not super pale, but I am of the fair and freckled sort.  :) I mean if you were to compare my forearms to my stomach, they'd look tan, but I've often been told I'm blinding others.  And my thighs are very, very white so the bruises show up very, very easily.

I also get these little white freckles among the brown ones.  I blame some of them on my toddler that sometimes likes to run full tilt into my legs.  Hard heads run in the family.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12760 on: July 31, 2013, 07:09:17 PM »
Add me to the bruise easily club. 

When I'm carrying home both a big bottle of juice and a half-gallon of milk I can almost expect that my arm will get a bruise from the weight of my tote bag and my leg will get one from the bag swinging against it. 

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #12761 on: August 01, 2013, 01:15:20 AM »
Another easy bruiser here - all my life I've had unexplained bruises.  Now I'm on low dose aspirin and it's even worse.   :-\

A peeve from this morning...

Having pets (or kids) makes having a shower a spectator sport.  Today I had two dogs and one cat, staring at me while I had a shower.  Usually it's only one dog - Suzi protects me from the Scary Shower Monster, Molly protects me from the Scary Bath Monster.  I have no idea how they divvied that up, but they have.  So both dogs were hogging the bath mat, Morty the cat sat on the sink.  I couldn't get out of the shower until the dogs moved, and they all sat watching me intently until I finished up and left the room.

Bedtime also becomes a communal activity.  Sigh.  At least they settle down and don't stare at me all night!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12762 on: August 01, 2013, 07:53:46 AM »
Another easy bruiser here - all my life I've had unexplained bruises.  Now I'm on low dose aspirin and it's even worse.   :-\

A peeve from this morning...

Having pets (or kids) makes having a shower a spectator sport.  Today I had two dogs and one cat, staring at me while I had a shower.  Usually it's only one dog - Suzi protects me from the Scary Shower Monster, Molly protects me from the Scary Bath Monster.  I have no idea how they divvied that up, but they have.  So both dogs were hogging the bath mat, Morty the cat sat on the sink.  I couldn't get out of the shower until the dogs moved, and they all sat watching me intently until I finished up and left the room.

Bedtime also becomes a communal activity.  Sigh.  At least they settle down and don't stare at me all night!

You don't think they do...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #12763 on: August 01, 2013, 02:15:32 PM »
Ah, the communal bed. Especially when it's not supposed to be communal. A few nights ago I went downstairs to go to sleep and found there was no space for me on the King sized bed. My 4yo and 2yo got out of their beds and snuggled up in mine. The 3 puppies were also spread out, asleep, and the kitty was lying on a mound of pillows (?) overseeing it all.

That's the little thing (or rather, several little things) driving me up the wall lately. When I'm tired, I want to sleep. I don't want to have to relocate 6 sleeping critters.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12764 on: August 01, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »
I often wonder how people who have toddlers cosleeping with them actually manage to sleep.  The few times when my children were very little and I'd let them sleep in bed with me, I didn't manage to get much in the way of quality sleep.   First it's the wiggling to get comfortable, then it's little hands in your face, feet or knees in your back, etc.

The last few times I brought the little guy into bed in the middle of the night, he was nice and settled down, then he heard a "mrow" and the jingle of a collar and it was "Kitty?  Kitty!  Where kitty?" I grumbled, got out of bed, bringing the child with me back into his own room, replacing the binky and tucking him in.