Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1650625 times)

Lorelei_Evil

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12765 on: August 01, 2013, 05:44:49 PM »
Another easy bruiser here - all my life I've had unexplained bruises.  Now I'm on low dose aspirin and it's even worse.   :-\

A peeve from this morning...

Having pets (or kids) makes having a shower a spectator sport.  Today I had two dogs and one cat, staring at me while I had a shower.  Usually it's only one dog - Suzi protects me from the Scary Shower Monster, Molly protects me from the Scary Bath Monster.  I have no idea how they divvied that up, but they have.  So both dogs were hogging the bath mat, Morty the cat sat on the sink.  I couldn't get out of the shower until the dogs moved, and they all sat watching me intently until I finished up and left the room.

Bedtime also becomes a communal activity.  Sigh.  At least they settle down and don't stare at me all night!

Interesting how pets divide the chores when taking care of their human. 

Jackie puts me to bed.  Kimmy supervises the bathing.  Harry makes sure that food is prepared.  They share the waking, dressing, and watching for the human to come home.  Guard duty is serious business, no sleeping on guard.

squeakers

« Reply #12766 on: August 01, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »
I often wonder how people who have toddlers cosleeping with them actually manage to sleep.  The few times when my children were very little and I'd let them sleep in bed with me, I didn't manage to get much in the way of quality sleep.   First it's the wiggling to get comfortable, then it's little hands in your face, feet or knees in your back, etc.

It's pretty easy.  But I have been kicked in the face (why do both kids and dogs think their head belongs by my knees and under the covers I don't know) and DH got kicked in his "parts". Then again DH has whacked me with a flung arm, slept on my hair and his gas is so bad that I am ready for my own bedroom.

My bed rule is if you don't settle down and get to bed you get put in your cage.  Didn't have those for the kids back in the day so I guess by the time little dogs came along I had learned something  >:D
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12767 on: August 02, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »
Some of my food taste have changed.  It wouldn't be so bad if it was food I didn't like but now I do.  No, it's things I loved and now can't stomach at all.  Specifically, orange juice, oranges, and pink lemonade.  They taste just off...kind of bitter and metallic tasting with a hint of dirt.  I had hoped it was just a fluke and waited a few weeks to try them again...nope, did not work.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #12768 on: August 02, 2013, 08:40:25 PM »
Some of my food taste have changed.  It wouldn't be so bad if it was food I didn't like but now I do.  No, it's things I loved and now can't stomach at all.  Specifically, orange juice, oranges, and pink lemonade.  They taste just off...kind of bitter and metallic tasting with a hint of dirt.  I had hoped it was just a fluke and waited a few weeks to try them again...nope, did not work.

Are you on any new medications?  Some drugs change the way we perceive tastes.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12769 on: August 02, 2013, 08:51:06 PM »

Are you on any new medications?  Some drugs change the way we perceive tastes.

It happened after a surgery.  Apparently, not all that uncommon.  Same thing happened to me when I was put under to get my wisdom teeth removed...that time it was bananas, puddings, Campbell's chicken noodle soup and crackers.  Pudding is the only thing that I came around to liking again, well over a decade later.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12770 on: August 02, 2013, 09:18:02 PM »
When I was a little kid I liked jello but now I just do not like it.  It's more the texture and association than anything else.  It means "Hospital liquid diet" to me.  Blech.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12771 on: August 02, 2013, 10:08:59 PM »
When I was a little kid I liked jello but now I just do not like it.  It's more the texture and association than anything else.  It means "Hospital liquid diet" to me.  Blech.

me too. I used to get it as a  kid when I was sick, but I actually liked it then. As an adult, I had it when I had pancreatitis, and was finally allowed to eat something. Still associate it with being sick, so its gross

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
« Reply #12772 on: August 03, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »
Customers who:
1. Snap their fingers at me.
2. Say "Good Girl/Boy!"
3. Think I can read thier minds.
Bourik swe pou chwal dekore ak dentel

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #12773 on: August 03, 2013, 02:44:28 PM »
Customers who:
2. Say "Good Girl/Boy!"

People who say the bolded to me make me want to bark at them like a dog. I refrain from said behavior only because that's considered rude in most circles I run in.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

sevenday

« Reply #12774 on: August 03, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Regarding taste changes after a surgery - I had a surgery a little over 10 years ago to fix a lower jaw that had failed to grow properly and was causing various problems.  Well, before that I loved kool-aid, with sugar or with sugar substitute.  After? Suddenly I could taste every granule of sugar, no matter how hard I tried to fully dissolve them.  I'd swallow, and then spit out a wad of sugar. Tried reducing the amount, tried using substitutes, nothing.  I basically had to overnight stop drinking my favorite drink.  Sure it's better for me to just drink water, but darnitall.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12775 on: August 03, 2013, 11:50:12 PM »
Did you try dissolving the sugar in boiling water first?  Stir it until it clears completely, then let cool.

If you still taste something gritty, it may be the kool-aid, not the sugar.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dawse

« Reply #12776 on: August 04, 2013, 06:32:09 AM »
Customers who:
2. Say "Good Girl/Boy!"

I actually had someone say to me the other day "Well you should have KNOWN I meant item B not item A! You should have KNOWN!"

How, pray tell? Is being psychic part of the job requirements for a waitress now, along with endless good humour and tolerance for idiocy?

It annoys me as well when people tell me 'well done', especially as it always seems to be older men in a spectacularly patronising tone...
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

Craftyone

« Reply #12777 on: August 04, 2013, 06:55:28 AM »
People that only see what they want to. 
eg. Just had a friend try and get me to sign up to her Multi-Level Marketing (aka MLM) scheme for cheaper energy.  Under the help section it says that you have to sign the contract with the energy company for 3 years so I said no as if we move in that time (quite likely) it will be to places where the energy company doesn't operate.  Even after I told her this (very politely) and explained why I won't be signing (I would have if it had saved me money but it's not going to be saving me enough money to warrant switching and maybe having to pay to break a contract) AND said where it was on the website site, she said the other contracts the MLM offers (for mobile phones) aren't for that long and that the MLM is in a lot of countries.  Yep, but, as the website says, you're not signing with the MLM, who are just acting as resellers, but with the provider.  As my husband said, she doesn't want to see the facts, just make money.  And she has a degree in finance and works in audit, so she knows about reading/interpreting contracts.  I don't have a degree in anything but have worked in banking for many years (mostly in admin roles) and have had experience in reading contracts etc.

I had the same sort of thing last year with buying a house in the State we are now (where we came from was a really easy system but not here).  The lawyers that represented the building society drove me mad with mistakes that they would have been indemnified against but could have cost us money.  Apparently, I wasn't the only one to lodge a complaint about the particular lawyer who was handling the transaction, she had almost messed up other people's house sales/buys. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12778 on: August 04, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
People who feel the need to police your food intake. I have a cousin, and both of us needed, and still need to lose weight. She has been on and tried ever diet plan out there, some legit, and some just weird. For a very long long time, she refused to see that it was her habits, not the plan she was following, that were hindering her efforts.

Things like having a meal shake for lunch on whatever plan she was following at that time, and following up with half a bag of chocolate. yeah, that's going to work well. and then whining she isn't seeing any results. or grazing for hours in the kitchen, and then thinking shes ok having say chicken and steamed veggies for dinner.

And while she's not like this all the time, if I happened to be eating something, she felt the need to comment "wow, there's a lot of sugar in those" and things like that. well, thank you, but I AM an adult, and therefore can make my own food choices.

I started WW several months ago, and while I've lost some, not as much as I'd like, or could have. But I know its on me, and doing it slower, the chances are better i will keep it off. But the beauty of WW is you eat regular food, and you can have anything you want, as long as you keep to your points etc.  So I was joking the other day, saying my CW brought in donuts and i hated her.  But fully intending to have one! She then had to comments about staying away from them!  I still don't think she grasps that for some, including myself, and i think her too, you can't label certain things as never to be eaten again! i have maybe 2-3 donuts a year, so I figured having one wasn't going to sabotage any of my efforts. And we don't usually compare details, but will share our successes. She's lost more than I have, but has stalled. and still has rather unhealthy eating habits, so I'm hoping to pass her in the weight loss soon.

suzieQ

« Reply #12779 on: August 04, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »
I don't mind the laughter and yelling while outside running and playing.  I mean the high pitched screeching that sends my dog running and my teeth grinding.  I lived in an apartment complex years ago that had a big front yard for the three buildings and all the kids would play.  And then a little girl (5-6 yrs old) moved in and what went from kids laughing and having fun turned into this little girl screaming like she was being attacked for 6-7 hours a day (along with some other annoying habits).  We tried talking to her mom (brick walls are more responsive), her (little brick wall) to the rental office (they were aware but did nothing).  There is now a 5 year old boy on my street that screams and throws fits constantly at a level that is unnatural.  I have taught my DD's if they are screaming like that, they better have a bear right behind them ready to eat them.  These screamers are gonna one day need someone to help them and they will be ignored because all they do is scream just to be heard.

That is exactly what happened at one of my jobs! We had a girl who is known for crying all the time for no good reason. Just having a mini-meltdown because she can't get her way. A couple of years ago, she was doing her thing again and (I wasn't there that day) I was told no one checked on her because she did it all. the. time. Turned out she really did have an injury that needed a doctor. Her Mom was mad, but really, how often do you expect your DD to cry wolf and still have people respond to her when there are 100 other kids to be watched?
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/