Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1619191 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12840 on: August 13, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
That is grossly unprofessional.  Are you sure it isn't a power play?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12841 on: August 13, 2013, 06:05:01 PM »
The boss is in the same time zone as yourself, correct? My first thought was the boss doesn't want to get up that early either and it's why she keeps cancelling it. 

Or she's too lazy to come up with an agenda so she throws in the towel and cancels the meeting.  Or she's a really sadistic piece of work.

ETA, cause I didn't feel like adding another post under this one.  When a relative on my fbook "friends" list shares a picture of herself with her siblings/sibling in laws, a picture which includes my folks. 

And then comments under her album "I have the greatest siblings in the world, I'm so lucky!"   ::)  I've not cut off my extended family but there has been a growing distance between myself and them over the last few years. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:40:49 PM by Piratelvr1121 »
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12842 on: August 14, 2013, 09:58:12 AM »
Today is a day we in NYC consider 'perfect' weather.  Yesterday, it rained so the pollen count is way down.    Today, it's sunny. The air is clean and fresh.  The temperatures are in the mid 70s and there's a nice breeze.  This is almost unheard-of in the middle of August. 

Wouldn't you know it?  Today is the day they're tearing up the street in front of our building.  We have to keep the windows closed because of the noise and dust. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12843 on: August 14, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »
Today is a day we in NYC consider 'perfect' weather.  Yesterday, it rained so the pollen count is way down.    Today, it's sunny. The air is clean and fresh.  The temperatures are in the mid 70s and there's a nice breeze.  This is almost unheard-of in the middle of August. 

Wouldn't you know it?  Today is the day they're tearing up the street in front of our building.  We have to keep the windows closed because of the noise and dust.

UGH. I feel for you. I'm in the same general area and it is lovely out.

Editeer

« Reply #12844 on: August 14, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »

I really don't think it is a power play. It isn't malicious. It's more that she is disorganized in a particular way. When she's thinking about X, X is the most important thing in the world. When she shifts to Y, X disappears, and Y is the most important thing in the world. She also is a little insensitive to other people's being different from her. She doesn't mind checking her work mail at 9 PM, so she just assumes everyone else is the same. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12845 on: August 14, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »

I really don't think it is a power play. It isn't malicious. It's more that she is disorganized in a particular way. When she's thinking about X, X is the most important thing in the world. When she shifts to Y, X disappears, and Y is the most important thing in the world. She also is a little insensitive to other people's being different from her. She doesn't mind checking her work mail at 9 PM, so she just assumes everyone else is the same.

This would be my take on it too. I work with people like that. It's all about them, and they simply don't think abou how their actions affect others. I have bosses who get their email on their personal cell, so they check incessantly. Me, so not happening. i check before I leave, and that's it until the next day.

Cami

« Reply #12846 on: August 16, 2013, 11:46:22 AM »
The fact that it's nearly impossible to call the branch of my local credit union to ask a question. There is the usual annoying phone tree and the old standby strategy of pressing "0" merely leads to them asking for my member number and being routed to my account info. The question is not answered with their "handy" FAQ page or search engine. There is also no email address to use to ask the question.

When I drive out there this afternoon to ask this question, they will be hearing a complaint from me about the insanity of having to DRIVE OUT THERE to ask a question.  Oh and the question? How do I make an appointment to set up a new checking account? (The reason I'm asking is the last time we set up an account, the teller had to give us an "appointment" and the "account managers" were all "booked" that day and we had to return the following day. So naturally, if I have to  make an appointment, I need to know how to make an appointment!)

Argh. (We want to set this account up for our dd as it is the same credit union that her college uses, so having her account there will be easier for her.)

lilfox

« Reply #12847 on: August 16, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »
Oh, work cancellations and the lack of notice.   >:(  My coworker and I set up a meeting a month in advance with an Executive whose time we know is valuable, and who is high up enough to rate an assistant who maintains her calendar.  This was also our second or third attempt, with previous meetings having been cancelled at least a day in advance.

So, based on the assistant's recommendation, we picked a date and the assistant accepted the meeting notice on Executive's behalf, and the notice is on the calendar for all to see for weeks.  On the day of the meeting we make the hike out to the location (involving a .75 mile walk because the parking situation is that bad).  Assistant looks at us blankly when we say we're here for our meeting with Executive.  Didn't we know Executive was out and wouldn't be available until the next month?  I was able to respond politely with, no, actually, our meeting notice was never cancelled so we assumed the meeting was still on.  No apology from the assistant, whose job it is to manage those things.

lilfox

« Reply #12848 on: August 16, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »
Also, ill-informed diet police.  This includes people who snark on my "sugary, unhealthy" cereal choice whose own cereal contains exactly 1g less sugar per serving!  Or send me articles on studies showing this or that negative effect of <some food I like> but the popular reporting of the science is sketchy and overblown.

The most recent example was an article emailed to me about a study on lab rats showing that pregnant rats fed an extreme diet of HFCS gave birth to baby rats with some unfortunate health consequences (tendencies to obesity, lethargy, stuff like that).

The article itself was poorly written in that at one point it said the affected baby rats became hyperactive when given amphetamines, but no info about the control group's reaction.  Um, amphetamines are a stimulant, they are supposed to cause hyperactivity!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12849 on: August 16, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
Enough is enough!  I have had it with these muthalovin' flies in this muthalovin' house!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12850 on: August 16, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »
Enough is enough!  I have had it with these muthalovin' flies in this muthalovin' house!

Preach it!! 

Also, is it August 21 yet?  Can it be? Please?  I love my older two boys but for their own health, they need to be starting school as of yesterday.

At our church picnic, another mother lightly asked if I was sad that school was going to be starting soon and I said "Nope!" I think she was expecting a more diplomatic answer than that. Something along the lines of "Ohh it's bittersweet and we've had so much fun..." 

Now it has been a decent summer, and they have been pretty good for the most part but I swear by the time school starts I'm about ready to shove them out the door.   It's not even that they are being rude towards me but that they bicker and annoy each other, often loudly.

My oldest is a moderate introvert, likes being around people, enjoys being with his friends during the day but he's started wanting to take solitary walks around the block before dinner, which is fine with me.   It's not so okay with his brother.   PB1 leaves, and within minutes I hear "Where is he? I'm going to go find him!" I've been saying "no you're not!" And making him look after his little brother while I cook or grill.   

Also he can't seem to tolerate PB1 going to the bathroom by himself.   It doesn't lock, and until somewhat recently it didn't need to be but now it clearly does.

They actually get along better during the school year when they're not together most of the day.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12851 on: August 16, 2013, 02:21:30 PM »
"It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

What is driving me crazy right now is neighbours who let their dogs bark numerous times before letting them in.  And neighbours who give their dog a squeaky toy to play with in the yard.  If they aren't out there, the dang dog is either barking or squeaking.   >:(
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12852 on: August 16, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »
Also, ill-informed diet police.  This includes people who snark on my "sugary, unhealthy" cereal choice whose own cereal contains exactly 1g less sugar per serving!  Or send me articles on studies showing this or that negative effect of <some food I like> but the popular reporting of the science is sketchy and overblown.

The most recent example was an article emailed to me about a study on lab rats showing that pregnant rats fed an extreme diet of HFCS gave birth to baby rats with some unfortunate health consequences (tendencies to obesity, lethargy, stuff like that).

The article itself was poorly written in that at one point it said the affected baby rats became hyperactive when given amphetamines, but no info about the control group's reaction.  Um, amphetamines are a stimulant, they are supposed to cause hyperactivity!

Why did you open it? Or, why did you read it when you found out what it was about?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12853 on: August 17, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »
That my DH thinks if he is up, everyone else needs to be too. I get up earlier than he does every day, since I start work earlier and drive farther. Monday, I start getting up even earlier so I can drive DS to school.

He woke me up from a sound sleep this morning.

Time for a chat with DH.  :(

Tea Drinker

« Reply #12854 on: August 17, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »
That my DH thinks if he is up, everyone else needs to be too. I get up earlier than he does every day, since I start work earlier and drive farther. Monday, I start getting up even earlier so I can drive DS to school.

He woke me up from a sound sleep this morning.

Time for a chat with DH.  :(

The question is, do you have that chat during the day, or do you wake him for it Monday morning?

I know, the latter would probably be counterproductive, but it would be awfully tempting, especially if he woke you for no specific reason.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.