Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1789502 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12870 on: August 19, 2013, 05:21:48 AM »
Anyone who tries to tell you your own mind, opinion or actions.

If you suggest possible reasons for something, that's fine, but I've encountered so many people who tell me that, for example, I'm only "claiming" to like something/have a certain opinion because I want to feel special or get attention. Or that you can't really feel the way you do about something because it "isn't that big a deal". And they state it as fact. Not opinion, fact.

I will very quickly get very irritated with people who do this. There's only one person who knows my mind, and that's me!

I completely agree, that really irritates me as well - especially when that person then tells everyone else their view and causes problems for me.  A few times recently it has felt like someone else's opinion of my experience is given a lot more weight than my own is, and I then get trouble over it.  Grrr!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12871 on: August 19, 2013, 06:57:21 AM »
This is a common problem with narcissists who refuse to recognize anyone's opinions or feelings that are not the same as their own.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12872 on: August 19, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »
You mean to tell me other people have opinions and that they might be different than mine?  :o   ;)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12873 on: August 19, 2013, 09:31:22 AM »
I must have posted this before but it bears repeating:  Bad grammar and usage by people of authority or in the media, as in a typical transit report on my local news channel:  "The Number 6 train is not running from 14th to Canal Streets in both directions" should be "The Number 6 train is not running from 14th to Canal Streets in either direction."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12874 on: August 19, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »
Being asked if I completed a task, after never receiving the request in the first place.  ???

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12875 on: August 19, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »

If you suggest possible reasons for something, that's fine, but I've encountered so many people who tell me that, for example, I'm only "claiming" to like something/have a certain opinion because I want to feel special or get attention. Or that you can't really feel the way you do about something because it "isn't that big a deal". And they state it as fact. Not opinion, fact.

I will very quickly get very irritated with people who do this. There's only one person who knows my mind, and that's me!

My father used to do that to me a lot and it drove me up the wall.   

Likewise, when I tell someone they're looking nice and I hear "You're just saying that to be nice." Um, no, I'm saying it cause I really mean it. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #12876 on: August 19, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »

My father used to do that to me a lot and it drove me up the wall.   

Likewise, when I tell someone they're looking nice and I hear "You're just saying that to be nice." Um, no, I'm saying it cause I really mean it. 

I have a pretty atypical set of interests for a female in my age range. I like fast cars and explosives (though not necessarily together), but I also like to go to the symphony and try really hard to keep long nails, even though I break them constantly while working on my car. While I don't like most sports, I get rabid about basketball, particularly NCAA, but I do also follow the NBA.

I get the "you're only saying that to get attention" thing more than I care to remember.  Ugh. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #12877 on: August 19, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »
My hair and nails.

It's really petty of me, but... well, the more painful and extreme symptoms of my rheumatoid arthritis don't bother me much. I take my meds, take my painkillers, use eye drops, swear at my joints once in a while and have generally adapted to it all. Except that I used to have very thick, very strong, fast-growing hair and nails. It took eighteen months to grow my hair from 1/4 inch long (shaved for charity) back to waist-length, and it was usually down to my hips, glossy and wavy. I could grow my nails out to fairly impressive lengths without needing to do anything except remember not to cut them, and I could pry things open etc without worrying about breaking or chipping them.

Now? Now my hair isn't much past shoulder-length, because it splits and frays. My nails are all short, and I have to carry clippers around with me because I can guarantee I'm going to split or break at least one a day; at least once a week, one rips back far enough to bleed. They were two of my best physical qualities, due to good genes more than any effort I ever put into them, and now I have to coddle both and get regular trims etc just to look mildly ratty instead of a complete mess. >:(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12878 on: August 19, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
Speaking about dreams, I'm tired by all those where I'm stressing about something having to do with a school project or my master thesis/project. Sometimes they go back to high-school! i graduated last year, I don't want to think about those things anymore!

I graduated high school 50 years ago and university 46 years ago. Every couple of years, I dream about missing a final or ending up in class in my nightgown. Oh well, at least I'm young a thin in them, so I guess I shouldn't let it drive me up the wall.

I have those dreams about papers due and exams on a regular basis. Okay, I did receive my MLS in 2000 but it's still annoying. 

mmswm

« Reply #12879 on: August 19, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »
My hair and nails.

It's really petty of me, but... well, the more painful and extreme symptoms of my rheumatoid arthritis don't bother me much. I take my meds, take my painkillers, use eye drops, swear at my joints once in a while and have generally adapted to it all. Except that I used to have very thick, very strong, fast-growing hair and nails. It took eighteen months to grow my hair from 1/4 inch long (shaved for charity) back to waist-length, and it was usually down to my hips, glossy and wavy. I could grow my nails out to fairly impressive lengths without needing to do anything except remember not to cut them, and I could pry things open etc without worrying about breaking or chipping them.

Now? Now my hair isn't much past shoulder-length, because it splits and frays. My nails are all short, and I have to carry clippers around with me because I can guarantee I'm going to split or break at least one a day; at least once a week, one rips back far enough to bleed. They were two of my best physical qualities, due to good genes more than any effort I ever put into them, and now I have to coddle both and get regular trims etc just to look mildly ratty instead of a complete mess. >:(

I have problems with my nails ripping and chipping as well.  My nail tech suggested rubbing olive oil into my nails and cuticles before I go to be every night.  I've been doing it for a month now, and though I'm still having some problems, I can really see a difference.  She told me it takes 3-6 months for a full transformation, as you kind of have to wait for your nails to fully grow out, but with what I've seen so far, I'm quite hopeful.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12880 on: August 19, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
When the kids act up on a day when my MIL is coming up to visit so it's not like I can send them to their room for the whole day for being really obnoxious. 

I told them to clean up while I quickly colored my hair and dried it.  When I come downstairs the living room still needed cleaning and dishes needing doing and they were on the couch watching Netflix.  >:(

I told them no Netflix or other movies for the day, set them on cleaning and took the youngest into the bathroom with me so they didn't have to look after him or have him messing up the room while they cleaned.  Then I turn off the hair dryer and hear "YOU DID TOO! I DID NOT! YOU DID TOO! I DID NOT!!!!!!!!!" yeah, fighting.  Then I tell my oldest to go and put some deodorant on then come back and do the dishes.  Well he goes down but doesn't come up for several minutes. 

Then middle child comes out of the bathroom saying "Mom he said he's not going to come up and clean!" I go downstairs and oldest child says "No, brother told me to get the guinea pig out of her cage so I did!"  So one of them's lying to me, though oldest could have told his brother "sorry, mom told me to come up as soon as I got deodorant on so I'm not taking the gpig out of her cage now."  But middle child denies saying it so now when Nana leaves they're going to their room till it's time for us to go meet middle child's teacher.

Thank God there's just 2 more days till school starts...

Oh yeah and then the toddler starts yelling at me for yelling at his brothers.  ::) At least that's what I think it's about.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #12881 on: August 19, 2013, 11:17:45 AM »

A male acquaintance once flatly contradicted me when I said I'd liked the movie Superbad.  "No, you didn't."  "Excuse me?  Are you seriously telling me that I didn't like a movie I just said I liked?"  "You couldn't have.  You're female, and women don't like movies like that."   :o

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #12882 on: August 19, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »
Dreams. When you have one you are absolutely positive is real, then wake up, and realize its not. I think I've had this dream before, that I had an "extra" room in my apt, which I didn't use.

You found Prisoner Zero!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

hjaye

« Reply #12883 on: August 19, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »
this is not anything anyone else does, I guess it's just a part of who I am, but it drives me crazy:

getting a song in your head and not being able to get rid of it.  the thing is I know if I watch the movie Chicago, I'm going to be hearing cell block tango in my head for the next week. 

If I see a special on Queen, or happen to hear Bohemian Rhapsody, (yes last Friday's feel good Friday did me in...... :) ) I am going to be stuck with that song in my head for a month.  I love the song, but it's starting to drive me crazy.

The fact is, if I watch any kind of musical on tv or in the theater, if there is a catchy song that I like, it's going to stick like glue and end up driving me up a wall.............. :P

BarensMom

« Reply #12884 on: August 19, 2013, 12:03:47 PM »
(snip)
If I see a special on Queen, or happen to hear Bohemian Rhapsody, (yes last Friday's feel good Friday did me in...... :) ) I am going to be stuck with that song in my head for a month.  I love the song, but it's starting to drive me crazy.
(snip)

Oh mamma mia, mamma mia, let me go....

Thanks a lot. ;D