Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1697831 times)

Betelnut

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12885 on: August 19, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »
this is not anything anyone else does, I guess it's just a part of who I am, but it drives me crazy:

getting a song in your head and not being able to get rid of it.  the thing is I know if I watch the movie Chicago, I'm going to be hearing cell block tango in my head for the next week. 

If I see a special on Queen, or happen to hear Bohemian Rhapsody, (yes last Friday's feel good Friday did me in...... :) ) I am going to be stuck with that song in my head for a month.  I love the song, but it's starting to drive me crazy.

The fact is, if I watch any kind of musical on tv or in the theater, if there is a catchy song that I like, it's going to stick like glue and end up driving me up a wall.............. :P

I think everyone does that!  I especially hate it when the song is very inane.  I tend to get children's songs from TV shows stuck in my head.  Like a song from "Doc McStuffins" for example, ~~Time for your checkup, time for your checkup~~

AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Carotte

« Reply #12886 on: August 19, 2013, 12:08:24 PM »
this is not anything anyone else does, I guess it's just a part of who I am, but it drives me crazy:

getting a song in your head and not being able to get rid of it.  the thing is I know if I watch the movie Chicago, I'm going to be hearing cell block tango in my head for the next week. 

If I see a special on Queen, or happen to hear Bohemian Rhapsody, (yes last Friday's feel good Friday did me in...... :) ) I am going to be stuck with that song in my head for a month.  I love the song, but it's starting to drive me crazy.

The fact is, if I watch any kind of musical on tv or in the theater, if there is a catchy song that I like, it's going to stick like glue and end up driving me up a wall.............. :P

Oh, I hate that too. I had to declare a new rule, if SO plays or sings one very obnoxious song it's no fun time for 24h  8)
But I have a magical song, one that I quite like but only know the first verse or so, when I have a song stuck in my head that I want gone I start replacing it by the magical song, one or two times the first verse and tadam, no more annoying song! (and magical song doesn't get stuck in lieu of the first one, so it's all good.)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12887 on: August 19, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
DS loves the videos on the net of the alternative Disney Princess stories and there is one in particular that gets stuck in my head.

Not to mention the lyrics are not appropriate for work, or church, or a Scout meeting and that is where it always plays in my head. Link is below if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diU70KshcjA

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #12888 on: August 19, 2013, 12:18:30 PM »
Anyone who tries to tell you your own mind, opinion or actions.

A male acquaintance once flatly contradicted me when I said I'd liked the movie Superbad.  "No, you didn't."  "Excuse me?  Are you seriously telling me that I didn't like a movie I just said I liked?"  "You couldn't have.  You're female, and women don't like movies like that."   :o

I've had the opposite, for example this conversation I had with my ex at least 3 times:

Ex: "You would love tiramisu."
Me: "No, I wouldn't."
Ex: "Yes, you would.  You should try it.  You'd love it."
Me: "I don't like coffee.  You know I don't like coffee."
Ex: "Just try it!  How can you say you don't like something you haven't tried?"
Me: "Because I don't like coffee or coffee-flavoured things."
Ex: "We'll, you'd love tiramisu."

That's a different ex to the one who would do this awful "C'mooooon baaaaaaabe!" when I didn't have the same likes/dislikes as him.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #12889 on: August 19, 2013, 12:24:30 PM »
That would also drive me up a wall.

exitzero

« Reply #12890 on: August 19, 2013, 01:18:38 PM »
Anyone who tries to tell you your own mind, opinion or actions.

A male acquaintance once flatly contradicted me when I said I'd liked the movie Superbad.  "No, you didn't."  "Excuse me?  Are you seriously telling me that I didn't like a movie I just said I liked?"  "You couldn't have.  You're female, and women don't like movies like that."   :o

I've had the opposite, for example this conversation I had with my ex at least 3 times:

Ex: "You would love tiramisu."
Me: "No, I wouldn't."
Ex: "Yes, you would.  You should try it.  You'd love it."
Me: "I don't like coffee.  You know I don't like coffee."
Ex: "Just try it!  How can you say you don't like something you haven't tried?"
Me: "Because I don't like coffee or coffee-flavoured things."
Ex: "We'll, you'd love tiramisu."

That's a different ex to the one who would do this awful "C'mooooon baaaaaaabe!" when I didn't have the same likes/dislikes as him.

Not to be one of THOSE people (well, I guess I am) I HATE coffee but I love tiramisu. The flavor is subtle and not very coffee-like, but delicious.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12891 on: August 19, 2013, 01:33:07 PM »
People have often unsuccessfully tried to pass coffee flavor or coconut flavor past me. As far as I know, I have always tasted it.

I can taste coconut oil in cheap chocolate. And I can't drink tea in a plastic themal mug that has had coffee in it even if it has been through the dishwasher.

I believe you, Shalimar, and I think finally my family and friends believe me.

I'm glad you found a treat you like, RingTailed Lemur, but no-no-no-no--yuck! Not for me! I can't even get past the smell.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12892 on: August 19, 2013, 02:03:48 PM »

This has been the cause of many nights of insomnia for me.  I try to sleep and a song plays itself over and over and over and over and over and over...

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12893 on: August 19, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »
I've had one really annoying recurring dream in my life, though thankfully not for a few years now.

I generally don't remember my dreams at all, so it's more just impressions than a real memory after I wake up, but I know that I found a book that I'm really, really eager to read. Sometimes it's an actual book I've been looking forward to, sometimes it's just a generic dream book that I know is going to be fantastic. When I open it and try to read, though, all I see are blank pages, because my subconscious clearly isn't willing to do the work of actually writing a fantastic book for my soon to be forgotten enjoyment. I feel crushing disappointment when I see the empty pages, because I realize it's a dream and I don't actually have the book at all.

Stupid subconscious.
And I have the opposite.  I write the most FANTASTIC books in my dreams, such that I think "I've got to remember this when I wake up!" and most of the time I don't. :( 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12894 on: August 19, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »
(snip)
(snip)

Oh mamma mia, mamma mia, let me go....

Thanks a lot. ;D
Mine will start playing if someone uses a phrase -- sometimes just a single WORD -- that's part of a song.  "It's really a small world, isn't it?"  and you KNOW what that starts!  "And I discovered I was just going around in circles all day."  Cue the Lion King! Et cetera, et cetera, and so forth!   ;)

ETA: I've found that if I listen to a recording of the song all the way through, that will unstick it and it will go away.  Doesn't guarantee that it won't be replaced immediately by something else, especially show tunes.  The next song just follows the first and takes its place.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:28:38 PM by Elfmama »
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #12895 on: August 19, 2013, 03:39:08 PM »
People have often unsuccessfully tried to pass coffee flavor or coconut flavor past me. As far as I know, I have always tasted it.

I can taste coconut oil in cheap chocolate. And I can't drink tea in a plastic themal mug that has had coffee in it even if it has been through the dishwasher.

I'm glad you found a treat you like, RingTailed Lemur, but no-no-no-no--yuck! Not for me! I can't even get past the smell.

No, I'm the one who hates coffee!  I can't even sit near someone drinking it :(

Betelnut

« Reply #12896 on: August 19, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »
I've had one really annoying recurring dream in my life, though thankfully not for a few years now.

I generally don't remember my dreams at all, so it's more just impressions than a real memory after I wake up, but I know that I found a book that I'm really, really eager to read. Sometimes it's an actual book I've been looking forward to, sometimes it's just a generic dream book that I know is going to be fantastic. When I open it and try to read, though, all I see are blank pages, because my subconscious clearly isn't willing to do the work of actually writing a fantastic book for my soon to be forgotten enjoyment. I feel crushing disappointment when I see the empty pages, because I realize it's a dream and I don't actually have the book at all.

Stupid subconscious.
And I have the opposite.  I write the most FANTASTIC books in my dreams, such that I think "I've got to remember this when I wake up!" and most of the time I don't. :(

One time I wrote a full-fledged musical in my sleep.  If I were a musical genius, I would have been able to wake up and write everything down, music, lyrics, etc.  Alas alack, I'm not so the world is the poorer for it.  LOL
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Hillia

« Reply #12897 on: August 19, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
(snip)
(snip)

Thanks a lot. ;D
Mine will start playing if someone uses a phrase -- sometimes just a single WORD -- that's part of a song.  "It's really a small world, isn't it?"  and you KNOW what that starts!  "And I discovered I was just going around in circles all day."  Cue the Lion King! Et cetera, et cetera, and so forth!   ;)

ETA: I've found that if I listen to a recording of the song all the way through, that will unstick it and it will go away.  Doesn't guarantee that it won't be replaced immediately by something else, especially show tunes.  The next song just follows the first and takes its place.

I got lost watching Alan Cummings bootleg videos on Youtube, specifically the Cabaret revival in 1998.  So now I have 'Wilkommen' stuck in my head.  The thing that will usually unstick an earworm is the Campbell's soup jingle sung in Spanish: 'Sopas Campbell's son, mmm mmm ricas!'

Related minor annoyance: Why aren't more Broadway performances legitimately recorded and sold?  I would happily pay a nice price for a legal, good quality recording of that Cabaret revival.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Dr. F.

« Reply #12898 on: August 19, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
(snip)
(snip)

Thanks a lot. ;D

Does anyone else have the problem that a song will get stuck and then mutate? I often get one line of a song stuck, with the second line of a completely different song stuck on the end of it. They usually have nothing in common. I had the second line of the "Transformers" theme song stuck to the end of the first line of a love song pretty much all of last week. Drove me about insane.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12899 on: August 19, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »

No, I'm the one who hates coffee!  I can't even sit near someone drinking it :(

Oops! ExitZero! Sorry.