Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1789505 times)

Betelnut

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12900 on: August 19, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
(snip)
If I see a special on Queen, or happen to hear Bohemian Rhapsody, (yes last Friday's feel good Friday did me in...... :) ) I am going to be stuck with that song in my head for a month.  I love the song, but it's starting to drive me crazy.
(snip)

Oh mamma mia, mamma mia, let me go....

Thanks a lot. ;D
Mine will start playing if someone uses a phrase -- sometimes just a single WORD -- that's part of a song.  "It's really a small world, isn't it?"  and you KNOW what that starts!  "And I discovered I was just going around in circles all day."  Cue the Lion King! Et cetera, et cetera, and so forth!   ;)

ETA: I've found that if I listen to a recording of the song all the way through, that will unstick it and it will go away.  Doesn't guarantee that it won't be replaced immediately by something else, especially show tunes.  The next song just follows the first and takes its place.

I got lost watching Alan Cummings bootleg videos on Youtube, specifically the Cabaret revival in 1998.  So now I have 'Wilkommen' stuck in my head.  The thing that will usually unstick an earworm is the Campbell's soup jingle sung in Spanish: 'Sopas Campbell's son, mmm mmm ricas!'

Related minor annoyance: Why aren't more Broadway performances legitimately recorded and sold?  I would happily pay a nice price for a legal, good quality recording of that Cabaret revival.

I agree--it would be way cool to see that production again.  I actually got to see it with Alan Cummings and Natasha Richardson (RIP).  It was simply ... amazing.  So emotional and draining but funny and cutting at the same time.  The soundtrack is really good.

I've never understood why the song "Cabaret" is considered uplifting.  I bawled like a baby during Natasha's rendition.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12901 on: August 19, 2013, 09:10:33 PM »
DH is a Brony and he has this song on his phone that Pinkie Pie sings, "Smile" on his phone.  This is it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNrXMOSkBas

And dang if it isn't a very catchy and upbeat tune!  I'm not a huge pony fan and while I like musicals I don't usually like the kinds of saccharine songs that pop up in children's cartoons.   But this one I can't deny, it does make me smile and gets stuck in my head.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12902 on: August 19, 2013, 09:13:08 PM »
She likes Pinkie Pie and she cannot lie.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12903 on: August 19, 2013, 09:21:27 PM »
She likes Pinkie Pie and she cannot lie.

You know the thing is, I did like MLP FIM when I first started watching it, but Pony Fever has taken over the house in such a big way that it's kind of wearing thin. 

Though I had a great deal of fun riffing on "Equestria Girls".
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12904 on: August 20, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »
Club appropriate clothing in either a work or educational environment.

Also, second skin yoga pants.

My eyes!  :o

Cherry91

« Reply #12905 on: August 21, 2013, 10:31:25 AM »
There's an irritating amount of chuggers (charity muggers) currently positioned on the high street right by my office. I have to pass them to catch my bus.

Various annoyances:

1. If you've just watched me tell your friend no thanks, I greatly doubt you're going to have any more luck. Go away.
2. If I have my headphones in and my head down, I probably don't want to talk
3. If you make me miss my bus (yes, it happened!), I'm complaining to your organisation

Cami

« Reply #12906 on: August 21, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
In a previous post, I told the story of a former friend who keeps saying 'We should get together!' but never makes any attempt to do so and how she keeps seeing and pestering my husband about how I need to contact her (despite his repeated suggestions that she stop bugging him and just call me instead). At a certain point, I was done with always being the one to initiate contact and decided we needed to be former friends and was only aggravated by her insistence that I had to contact her -- hence, why it was a "little thing". Note that I did not send her a birthday card on her day this year as part of my distancing effort.

Update:  Yesterday was my birthday. To my surprise, I received in the mail a birthday card from her. I open it to find it's a "Miss you" card on which she's written, "IF you want to see me, YOU know how to contact me."

Argh.

In the amount of time it took her to buy the card, write the note in it, address it, mail it, she could have contacted me multiple times. What is this mindset that someone else is responsible for her social life? Argh.

Well, as I said to my dd as I threw the card out, "I guess her gift to me this year was a heaping dose of passive aggression."

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12907 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
In a previous post, I told the story of a former friend who keeps saying 'We should get together!' but never makes any attempt to do so and how she keeps seeing and pestering my husband about how I need to contact her (despite his repeated suggestions that she stop bugging him and just call me instead). At a certain point, I was done with always being the one to initiate contact and decided we needed to be former friends and was only aggravated by her insistence that I had to contact her -- hence, why it was a "little thing". Note that I did not send her a birthday card on her day this year as part of my distancing effort.

Update:  Yesterday was my birthday. To my surprise, I received in the mail a birthday card from her. I open it to find it's a "Miss you" card on which she's written, "IF you want to see me, YOU know how to contact me."

Argh.

In the amount of time it took her to buy the card, write the note in it, address it, mail it, she could have contacted me multiple times. What is this mindset that someone else is responsible for her social life? Argh.

Well, as I said to my dd as I threw the card out, "I guess her gift to me this year was a heaping dose of passive aggression."
Those people make me nuts, too! I've got several college friends that, since I moved to their area, keep saying "We need to get together!" and then either flaking when we make tentative plans or refuse to even make plans. But they keep saying "We need to get together!" as if I'm supposed to magically appear at the moment they want to see me.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12908 on: August 21, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »
That's one of my pet peeves as well. I had a coworker who would do that. We'd make plans and then she'd flake.  Or she'd say "Oh I'm broke, can't get together."  I'd suggest free options and she'd say "Maybe some other time!"

Once we made plans and she went out and got drunk the night before then called and said "I'm broke after going to the club last night, and I don't feel well!" I stopped making plans with her after that.

Shalamar

« Reply #12909 on: August 21, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »
I've posted this before, but when I tried to pin down one of those "We have to get together" ladies, she kept making excuses.  This weekend?  No good.  Next weekend was no good either.  How about the one after that?  Nope.   She said "Tell you what; I'll call you."  I wasn't surprised that I never heard from her again, and I mentally wrote off what had been a 20-year-long friendship.  Sigh.

Bethczar

« Reply #12910 on: August 21, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »
I've had one really annoying recurring dream in my life, though thankfully not for a few years now.

I generally don't remember my dreams at all, so it's more just impressions than a real memory after I wake up, but I know that I found a book that I'm really, really eager to read. Sometimes it's an actual book I've been looking forward to, sometimes it's just a generic dream book that I know is going to be fantastic. When I open it and try to read, though, all I see are blank pages, because my subconscious clearly isn't willing to do the work of actually writing a fantastic book for my soon to be forgotten enjoyment. I feel crushing disappointment when I see the empty pages, because I realize it's a dream and I don't actually have the book at all.

Stupid subconscious.
I have the reverse - I have frequently dreamed I was reading a book.  I even see my hand turning the pages. Sometimes it's a book I've read in real life and sometimes it's something I've never read before. I know I'm waking up when I can't turn the page.

BarensMom

« Reply #12911 on: August 21, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
People who make offers they don't mean.

I recently started swimming lessons.  When our next-door neighbor heard it, he said, "You could come use our pool anytime."  Except I know from past behavior that if I ask to use the pool specifically, he'll get all cagey and find some excuse.  My friend from the condos down the street also offers to "get together and we'll go to the pool," but never issues a specific invite.  Note that I never asked, these were offers.

I honestly want to say, "Please don't make the offer.  I know you don't mean it and it only makes me think less of you."  Rude?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12912 on: August 21, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
I think some people truly do say that so they can tell themselves "I'm nice, I offer, they just want to use it at inconvenient times!"  ::)

My thing that drives me up the wall is when there's some significant date approaching and the night before I have all these dreams about how it could go wrong.

Example, today was the first day of school in our county.  First dream, my eldest misses the bus.  Second dream, they changed his bus and route, or was it that the school changed?  You get the idea. 

And in the first dream I had to pack all the kids into the bus and didn't even have time to tell my friend (whom I email every morning) that I'd be right back so she was annoyed when it took me an hour to get there and back because for some reason his school had moved across town...or we had.

Carotte

« Reply #12913 on: August 21, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »
How difficult and time consuming painting the walls of my 'new' bedroom will be.
I have the time, that's for sure since I'm unemployed.
It's already looking like it will be more than I thought/want to put in it, and I don't have expandables funds (the whole unemployed thing).
I'm already planning on the 'cheap and dirty' way out, after all we're renting.
But due to the nature of the walls it's a pain to check what can and cannot be used, if it will stay and if it's the right product.
And I don't want to have to sand the walls, by hand, by myself.

I was looking forward to it, I moved in with my SO 4 months ago and I don't feel like we both live here, mostly that I just live with him.
Not sure I'm being clear, he's been in this place for 5+years, so 98% of everything is still 'his' not mine, barely ours.
So that would have been a me thing (he doesn't care one way of the other about repainting or the color).

Now I just want to go live in a hole.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #12914 on: August 21, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »
I'm not normally peeved by wrong numbers, but the call I got the other night managed!

Ring ring ring...
Me:  Hello?
Her:  Don't you check your messages???
Me:   :o  (thinking I'd misheard) I'm sorry, excuse me? 
Her:  Don't you check your messages??????
Me:  Uh, who is this?
Her:  Isn't that you, Janet?
Me:  No, sorry, I think you have the wrong number.
Her:  <unintelligible muttering>
Me:  Good night.  <gently hangs up>

It was the tone, rather than what was said.  It was very aggressive - almost like she was scolding a child.  I understand the frustration of leaving messages and never hearing back, but what's wrong with a hello first?