Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1640974 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12915 on: August 21, 2013, 09:08:01 PM »
Perhaps she assumes "Janet" has caller ID on her phone and would know who's calling?  But then again if they know each other that well their #'s would be saved and there would be no misdialing.

Darnit, Janet.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12917 on: August 21, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12918 on: August 22, 2013, 06:40:23 AM »
Darnit, Janet.
I love you.  ;)

;D I can't help myself.  Ever since I first saw that movie I cannot say "Da*n it" without following it up immediately with "Janet". 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

dawnfire

« Reply #12919 on: August 22, 2013, 07:16:56 AM »
dead air on a phone call. I'll get these call every few weekends. the phone will ring, I'll answer it and there nothing but dead air or after a loooong silence , there is an automated voice saying "call ending" and cuts off.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12920 on: August 22, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »
Darnit, Janet.
I love you.  ;)

;D I can't help myself.  Ever since I first saw that movie I cannot say "Da*n it" without following it up immediately with "Janet".
And I could leave that hang without the next line in the song.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Shalamar

« Reply #12921 on: August 22, 2013, 11:17:53 AM »
Speaking of annoying dreams that drive you up the wall: 

When I was 15, my parents and I were on a driving vacation and stopped in a small town for lunch.  This town had a really nice used bookstore, but alas - I got sick just as we were about to start browsing.    (I don't want to go into specifics, but let's just say that I was trapped in the bathroom for an hour.)  By the time I started feeling better, my dad said that we had to leave.  So, I never got a chance to look around the bookstore, which broke my heart ...

... and ever since then, I periodically dream that I'm back in that bookstore, and it's AMAZING.  (Far more amazing than it was in reality, I'm sure.)  It's got every book I've ever wanted, and such cheap prices!   I'm absolutely thrilled and am loading up a huge basket with all the books I want to buy, and then I wake up.   >:(

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12922 on: August 22, 2013, 01:37:18 PM »
Speaking about dreams, I'm tired by all those where I'm stressing about something having to do with a school project or my master thesis/project. Sometimes they go back to high-school! i graduated last year, I don't want to think about those things anymore!

I graduated high school 50 years ago and university 46 years ago. Every couple of years, I dream about missing a final or ending up in class in my nightgown. Oh well, at least I'm young a thin in them, so I guess I shouldn't let it drive me up the wall.

I had a dream once where I had to go back to FIRST GRADE because I hadn't actually finished it or something.  Even in the dream I was thinking, "Oh this will be easy!" LOL

I totally had this dream too!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12923 on: August 22, 2013, 01:53:25 PM »
There's an irritating amount of chuggers (charity muggers) currently positioned on the high street right by my office. I have to pass them to catch my bus.

Various annoyances:

1. If you've just watched me tell your friend no thanks, I greatly doubt you're going to have any more luck. Go away.
2. If I have my headphones in and my head down, I probably don't want to talk
3. If you make me miss my bus (yes, it happened!), I'm complaining to your organisation

I just spent the day with my sister-in-law walking around a city and we passed a ton of people "chugging" for a children's charity. Seriously, there were two or three chuggers per block for a several block radius. As we went on, she got more and more absurd with her responses.

"Not today, thank you."
"Nope, I hate children."
"I think the planet is over-crowded as it is."
"Sorry, I'm running late to a pro-child slavery meeting."
"KILL THE CHILDREN!"

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #12924 on: August 22, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »
There's an irritating amount of chuggers (charity muggers) currently positioned on the high street right by my office. I have to pass them to catch my bus.

Various annoyances:

1. If you've just watched me tell your friend no thanks, I greatly doubt you're going to have any more luck. Go away.
2. If I have my headphones in and my head down, I probably don't want to talk
3. If you make me miss my bus (yes, it happened!), I'm complaining to your organisation

I just spent the day with my sister-in-law walking around a city and we passed a ton of people "chugging" for a children's charity. Seriously, there were two or three chuggers per block for a several block radius. As we went on, she got more and more absurd with her responses.

"Not today, thank you."
"Nope, I hate children."
"I think the planet is over-crowded as it is."
"Sorry, I'm running late to a pro-child slavery meeting."
"KILL THE CHILDREN!"

*cackle* That's awesome! ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12925 on: August 22, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »
ABCFamily.com

So I have been in the habit of watching new Switched at Birth episodes on Tuesday mornings since we don't have tv and I can't watch them when they air on Monday nights.  This has not been a problem.

Until this week, when I went online at 6 am on Tuesday morning to find that the episode was available for a limited time and had already expired by the time I accessed their site.

And I follow them on Twitter and since I'm not always good about checking Twitter I thought "Well maybe I missed them saying it would only be available Monday night." Nope, didn't see anything and didn't think to check Monday night because again, watching it on Tuesday hasn't been a problem till this week!  I also follow the Gilles Marini fan page on fbook (he plays Angelo) and they're always promoting new episodes and didn't say anything about the limited availability.

GRRRRR!  I want to find out what happened in the season finale!!

Betelnut

« Reply #12926 on: August 24, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
When my daughter and I are having a pleasant time and then, BAM, she goes into whiny cry mode.  Today she was going on and on about how I am "never going to get" her a puppy (probably true, btw).  And, "You should have never had a kid," "You never play with me" (we played dodge-ball-tag-hide-and-seek just this morning!), "You just want to be alone" and so on.

Argh child!  Please--can't we just have a nice time without the meltdown!? 

I did realize when we got home that she was very hungry.  After she ate, I said, "Feel better now?" "Yeah, I was just hungry."

Still, she really knows what to say to make me feel bad...  Last night it was, "You think I'm stupid!"   :'(
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12927 on: August 24, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
dead air on a phone call. I'll get these call every few weekends. the phone will ring, I'll answer it and there nothing but dead air or after a loooong silence , there is an automated voice saying "call ending" and cuts off.

This may be an urban legend but it used to be said that these dead air calls were from thieves seeing if anyone was home.  In these days of cell phones, that wouldn't be very reliable.

It might also be that the caller realizes s/he has dialed a wrong number and is too embarrassed to say anything.  the automated voice bit is strange, though. 

turtleIScream

« Reply #12928 on: August 24, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »
Playing tennis with my husband. He is not at all athletic, and has terrible form. Yet he always beats me!

Tia2

« Reply #12929 on: August 24, 2013, 04:11:06 PM »

This may be an urban legend but it used to be said that these dead air calls were from thieves seeing if anyone was home.  In these days of cell phones, that wouldn't be very reliable.

It might also be that the caller realizes s/he has dialed a wrong number and is too embarrassed to say anything.  the automated voice bit is strange, though.

In the UK, these are usually automated calls from a call centre.  The technology goes down the list of numbers and makes the calls and then puts answered calls through to the employees.  If all the employees are busy, the computer automatically waits a certain period of time (the dead air) and then terminates the call. 

If more calls than usual are picked up, or if the call frequency is set incorrectly for the number of employees, you can get a lot of dead air calls.