News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 01:29:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5499860 times)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12810 on: August 26, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
I don't know how many store chains do this but the additional merchandise shelves lining the checkout lines at Marshall's really burn my tuchas.  If you had a set budget walking in and there is something there that you decide you want, you either blow your budget or you give up something you have in hand.

The other issue is that a lot of what is there is kid-targeted and while I have yet to see this I can easily imagine a kid having a melt-down in the store because Mommy refuses to buy the toy placed at his/her eye level for this temptation.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #12811 on: August 26, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »
Having something that I really REALLY want to talk about... but I can't yet. I have to wait for confirmation. It might not work out. I have to wait for months. But I want to phone all my friends and call my mother and scream happily down the phone and post to my blog and make a thread here and argh argh ARRRGH!!!!! :o :-X *flails*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #12812 on: August 26, 2013, 05:20:42 PM »
I don't know how many store chains do this but the additional merchandise shelves lining the checkout lines at Marshall's really burn my tuchas.  If you had a set budget walking in and there is something there that you decide you want, you either blow your budget or you give up something you have in hand.

The other issue is that a lot of what is there is kid-targeted and while I have yet to see this I can easily imagine a kid having a melt-down in the store because Mommy refuses to buy the toy placed at his/her eye level for this temptation.

As a friend in retail would say, they're not stupid!  They know kids will see it and beg and no doubt they've noticed enough kids winning because parents want them to be quiet.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12813 on: August 26, 2013, 05:44:02 PM »
Oh, I'm fully aware of that.  Also that in the long term that encourages very entitled behavior.

Cami

« Reply #12814 on: August 26, 2013, 05:58:12 PM »
Oh, I'm fully aware of that.  Also that in the long term that encourages very entitled behavior.
With all due respect, in my experience, what encourages entitled behavior is parents giving into whining.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #12815 on: August 26, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »
If it's a corporation, I feel bad for the employees who probably had orders to set it up this way and are probably cringing to think of the screams they're going to be hearing if a parent says no and sticks with it, or the screams that come up till the parents give in.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12816 on: August 26, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »
It annoys me that school starts in a week but they have yet to post the school bus routes and times. My kids school has new earlier bell times this year and I'd really like to know what time the need to get the bus.

I get that the teachers don't go back till tommorow but the bus routes and times are made by the school bus company and the school boards main office. (At least that who we are told to contact with bussing issues, not the school directly)

I'm a SAHM so it doesn't really matter but I'm a planner so I like to know these things in advance. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to working parents. I have friends who 15 minutes earlier or later make the difference between needing before school care or not.
How stable is your population district wide? Kids started today - We got our list end of day Friday and that was early. Some years we have gotten the home route list less than an hour before school LET OUT on the first day. This is because we have several schools like mine with a high mobility rate. Whole populations shift as they leave Apartment Y as move in deals end and the move to Apartments Z who is running a special.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #12817 on: August 26, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »
Loosing my mind as I can't find my double pointed knitting needle (1 of 5 for socks) that seemed to walk off for over an hour.

To only find that I had tucked it into my hair bun.

audhs

« Reply #12818 on: August 26, 2013, 09:43:35 PM »
It annoys me that school starts in a week but they have yet to post the school bus routes and times. My kids school has new earlier bell times this year and I'd really like to know what time the need to get the bus.

I get that the teachers don't go back till tommorow but the bus routes and times are made by the school bus company and the school boards main office. (At least that who we are told to contact with bussing issues, not the school directly)

I'm a SAHM so it doesn't really matter but I'm a planner so I like to know these things in advance. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to working parents. I have friends who 15 minutes earlier or later make the difference between needing before school care or not.
How stable is your population district wide? Kids started today - We got our list end of day Friday and that was early. Some years we have gotten the home route list less than an hour before school LET OUT on the first day. This is because we have several schools like mine with a high mobility rate. Whole populations shift as they leave Apartment Y as move in deals end and the move to Apartments Z who is running a special.
Our pop is very stable.  There's always some movement but the routes have been almost the same the three years we've been at the school. It's just bell times that have changed, so it's more what time the bus comes not so much where the bus goes.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #12819 on: August 28, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
This may sound odd, and I'm actually not just sure why it bugs me, either, but when I tell people my age and I hear "Wow, you're so young!"  Um, I'm 34. I mean I'm certainly not over the hill or anything and still a couple decades from being able to apply for social security but still.   I think "young" and I think of kids and people in their 20's.

Yesterday I was calling up the church office to put in mine and my oldest son's (he's 12) names for the confirmation classes.  The parish secretary asked me for birthdates since we're relatively new to this church and she just wanted to make sure all our info is in the files.   

I gave her my birthday, complete with the year and she says "Wow, you're so young!"  Now she's a really nice lady from what I can tell of the few times we've interacted, so I honestly doubt she met any offense by it, it's just my own feelings about the phrase.  And like I said, I can't quite put my finger on why it bugs me!

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #12820 on: August 28, 2013, 02:49:34 PM »
This may sound odd, and I'm actually not just sure why it bugs me, either, but when I tell people my age and I hear "Wow, you're so young!"  Um, I'm 34. I mean I'm certainly not over the hill or anything and still a couple decades from being able to apply for social security but still.   I think "young" and I think of kids and people in their 20's.

Yesterday I was calling up the church office to put in mine and my oldest son's (he's 12) names for the confirmation classes.  The parish secretary asked me for birthdates since we're relatively new to this church and she just wanted to make sure all our info is in the files.   

I gave her my birthday, complete with the year and she says "Wow, you're so young!"  Now she's a really nice lady from what I can tell of the few times we've interacted, so I honestly doubt she met any offense by it, it's just my own feelings about the phrase.  And like I said, I can't quite put my finger on why it bugs me!

I'm the same way, even down to not being able to put into words why it bothers me.  I think for me, anyway, it's to do with the fact that I also look younger than I am, so in the past those kind of comments sometimes get paired with condescension.  When I hear "you're so young!" I can almost feel my head being patted.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Redsoil

« Reply #12821 on: August 29, 2013, 08:57:13 AM »
Other drivers have been driving me up the wall lately.

Things I wish I could tell them.

1.  Use your dingdangity blinkers, people!  Otherwise, it looks like you're going straight ahead at an intersection.

2.  Use them correctly!  One does not indicate a right turn when going straight through a roundabout.  (We drive on the left in Australia, if that's confusing for anyone.)

3.  DO NOT hog the centre line when on rural roads of sufficient width to easily accommodate traffic (narrow "back roads" don't have lines and one may stay nearer the centre unless traffic is approaching, then both drivers move over as needed).

4.  Seriously - get OFF the white line!  If you keep hogging it (and are sometimes OVER it) it's very difficult to see past enough to overtake.  Often, these drivers are well under the speed limit (for no good reason) and country roads have limited overtaking opportunities.

5.  If traffic is sitting on 100 km/h, and you decide to leisurely drive out in front of a line of traffic (from a side road) without allowing sufficient distance/time, it's going to cause a lot of angst as the entire line hits the brakes to avoid an accident. 

I do wonder what on earth people are thinking at times!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Redsoil

« Reply #12822 on: August 29, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »
Oh, and if I do overtake you (after being stuck behind for 10 minutes at 80km/h), don't suddenly decide to speed up as I do.  It's stupid and dangerous!

Do not then sit on my bumper thereafter!  If you'd maintained a decent speed previously, both of us would be happier, I'm sure.

Again, I don't know why on earth people do this.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12823 on: August 29, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »
Upper management with no respect for the time and schedules of their staff. My boss's boss has had meetings scheduled with me twice this week, and both times has been ten or fifteen minutes late. No explanation, no apology, just expected me to sit in the conference room and wait for him. He's the one setting these meetings, so I'm not infringing on his time or anything, and per his secretary he's not in a meeting, or anything that she can tell - he's just wandered off not caring that he's got a meeting!

Argh!

andi

« Reply #12824 on: August 29, 2013, 02:21:09 PM »
WHY do I always wind up feel like carp on my day off??  Stupid migraine - GO AWAY!  I have things to do