Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1682754 times)

audhs

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12945 on: August 26, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
It annoys me that school starts in a week but they have yet to post the school bus routes and times. My kids school has new earlier bell times this year and I'd really like to know what time the need to get the bus.

I get that the teachers don't go back till tommorow but the bus routes and times are made by the school bus company and the school boards main office. (At least that who we are told to contact with bussing issues, not the school directly)

I'm a SAHM so it doesn't really matter but I'm a planner so I like to know these things in advance. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to working parents. I have friends who 15 minutes earlier or later make the difference between needing before school care or not.
How stable is your population district wide? Kids started today - We got our list end of day Friday and that was early. Some years we have gotten the home route list less than an hour before school LET OUT on the first day. This is because we have several schools like mine with a high mobility rate. Whole populations shift as they leave Apartment Y as move in deals end and the move to Apartments Z who is running a special.
Our pop is very stable.  There's always some movement but the routes have been almost the same the three years we've been at the school. It's just bell times that have changed, so it's more what time the bus comes not so much where the bus goes.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12946 on: August 28, 2013, 02:12:31 PM »
This may sound odd, and I'm actually not just sure why it bugs me, either, but when I tell people my age and I hear "Wow, you're so young!"  Um, I'm 34. I mean I'm certainly not over the hill or anything and still a couple decades from being able to apply for social security but still.   I think "young" and I think of kids and people in their 20's.

Yesterday I was calling up the church office to put in mine and my oldest son's (he's 12) names for the confirmation classes.  The parish secretary asked me for birthdates since we're relatively new to this church and she just wanted to make sure all our info is in the files.   

I gave her my birthday, complete with the year and she says "Wow, you're so young!"  Now she's a really nice lady from what I can tell of the few times we've interacted, so I honestly doubt she met any offense by it, it's just my own feelings about the phrase.  And like I said, I can't quite put my finger on why it bugs me!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #12947 on: August 28, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
This may sound odd, and I'm actually not just sure why it bugs me, either, but when I tell people my age and I hear "Wow, you're so young!"  Um, I'm 34. I mean I'm certainly not over the hill or anything and still a couple decades from being able to apply for social security but still.   I think "young" and I think of kids and people in their 20's.

Yesterday I was calling up the church office to put in mine and my oldest son's (he's 12) names for the confirmation classes.  The parish secretary asked me for birthdates since we're relatively new to this church and she just wanted to make sure all our info is in the files.   

I gave her my birthday, complete with the year and she says "Wow, you're so young!"  Now she's a really nice lady from what I can tell of the few times we've interacted, so I honestly doubt she met any offense by it, it's just my own feelings about the phrase.  And like I said, I can't quite put my finger on why it bugs me!

I'm the same way, even down to not being able to put into words why it bothers me.  I think for me, anyway, it's to do with the fact that I also look younger than I am, so in the past those kind of comments sometimes get paired with condescension.  When I hear "you're so young!" I can almost feel my head being patted.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Redsoil

« Reply #12948 on: August 29, 2013, 09:57:13 AM »
Other drivers have been driving me up the wall lately.

Things I wish I could tell them.

1.  Use your dingdangity blinkers, people!  Otherwise, it looks like you're going straight ahead at an intersection.

2.  Use them correctly!  One does not indicate a right turn when going straight through a roundabout.  (We drive on the left in Australia, if that's confusing for anyone.)

3.  DO NOT hog the centre line when on rural roads of sufficient width to easily accommodate traffic (narrow "back roads" don't have lines and one may stay nearer the centre unless traffic is approaching, then both drivers move over as needed).

4.  Seriously - get OFF the white line!  If you keep hogging it (and are sometimes OVER it) it's very difficult to see past enough to overtake.  Often, these drivers are well under the speed limit (for no good reason) and country roads have limited overtaking opportunities.

5.  If traffic is sitting on 100 km/h, and you decide to leisurely drive out in front of a line of traffic (from a side road) without allowing sufficient distance/time, it's going to cause a lot of angst as the entire line hits the brakes to avoid an accident. 

I do wonder what on earth people are thinking at times!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Redsoil

« Reply #12949 on: August 29, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »
Oh, and if I do overtake you (after being stuck behind for 10 minutes at 80km/h), don't suddenly decide to speed up as I do.  It's stupid and dangerous!

Do not then sit on my bumper thereafter!  If you'd maintained a decent speed previously, both of us would be happier, I'm sure.

Again, I don't know why on earth people do this.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12950 on: August 29, 2013, 10:22:18 AM »
Upper management with no respect for the time and schedules of their staff. My boss's boss has had meetings scheduled with me twice this week, and both times has been ten or fifteen minutes late. No explanation, no apology, just expected me to sit in the conference room and wait for him. He's the one setting these meetings, so I'm not infringing on his time or anything, and per his secretary he's not in a meeting, or anything that she can tell - he's just wandered off not caring that he's got a meeting!

Argh!

andi

« Reply #12951 on: August 29, 2013, 03:21:09 PM »
WHY do I always wind up feel like carp on my day off??  Stupid migraine - GO AWAY!  I have things to do

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12952 on: August 29, 2013, 03:40:36 PM »
WHY do I always wind up feel like carp on my day off??  Stupid migraine - GO AWAY!  I have things to do
Overachiever syndrome. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress-and-illness/MY01056

Believe it or not, a real medical phenomenon. Used to call it the 'post-AP flu' when I was in high school. Not as pronounced if it just happens on days off as if you'd had a major issue, but I bet your job stresses you out.

Fun facts about the body! Not medical advice!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12953 on: August 29, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »
Coming home with a migraine and realizing the construction on the balcony next door that's been quiet for the last week picked up again today. Because there's nothing so relaxing as men drilling metal 6 inches from your bedroom window. Oh, and my neighbor on the other side is doing some home improvements so he's using his power saw right by my front door.

I'm never living in a condo again.

lilfox

« Reply #12954 on: August 29, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
I also used to get wicked stress headaches the day after a major deadline - it was like my brain finally unclenched for the first time in months.  Ugh.

Today's irritation?  I've owned these shoes for a few years now, they're about the only comfortable flats I've ever found, and today without any possible cause, they started squeaking with every step.  Why??

Cami

« Reply #12955 on: August 29, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »
The way my dd's college handled "hospitality" for her move-in day, especially all the problems caused by lack of even ONE sign.

The college has, for MANY years, arranged with landlords in the apartment buildings right next to campus to be "overflow" dorms. My dd did not request the overflow dorms, in fact she requested the regular dorms but was stuck in the overflow. Okay, fine.

BUT... the college does not show the overflow dorms on any map. They do not send out any "welcome" materials to the kids in the overflow dorms. They do not provide any SIGNAGE to the overflow dorms. The overflow dorms do not have any signs ON them telling you that these buildings are the overflow dorms. They do not provide moving assistance, free drinks, or ANY aid whatsoever the way they do to the "regular" dorms.  So we spent a good bit of this morning running around in circles trying to figure out where to go, getting frustrated when we'd see a "Welcome" adviser and being told, "Gee, we don't know anything about the overflow dorms" and generally wasting a lot of time and getting frustrated. Hardly a nice "welcome."

Best part? Overflow dorms cost more money.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:59:58 PM by Cami »

Shalamar

« Reply #12956 on: August 29, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »
Ugh, my family and I rented a condo when we were visiting Vancouver a couple of years ago.  It was a pretty nice place, except that we couldn't use the balcony or the pool due to extremely noisy construction happening next door.  In fairness, the condo's owner couldn't do anything about it, but a bit of a heads-up would've been nice. 

Actually, I have a bunch of stories about that condo's owner.  We found that:

- The part of the condo we were staying in was the upper floor, and other tenants were in the lower floor.  The owner told us sternly that under no circumstances were we to make any noise after 10:00 p.m.  Fair enough, except that the other tenants had several screaming matches in the wee hours that woke my daughters up - guess they didn't get any such admonition from the owner!
- The owner told us that we had to be VERY VERY careful about her brand-new kitchen counters.  If she found any scratches on them, she'd keep our damage deposit.
- We had to throw away ALL of our trash.  If she found any, she'd ... well, you know.  (Meanwhile, I'd had every intention of throwing away all our garbage.  Being treated like a naughty messy child irked me a lot.)
- The bedrooms had urns containing dead pets' ashes.  No disrespect intended to grieving pet owners, but this seemed ... odd, especially when you're renting your place out. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12957 on: August 29, 2013, 05:50:22 PM »
Stores that lure you in with what is probably a loss leader only to sock it to you on something else.  I paid $1.29/lb for Jersey beefsteak tomatoes today and when I checked my receipt later the store charged me $1.69 each for two plums.

The plums' bin was not labeled nor was anything else in the main part of the store.  The cashier didn't want to give me the receipt.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #12958 on: August 29, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
My neighbor.  Well, not really.  :)

The other day she brought over a couple of pieces of pie she'd made.  Awesome!  Of course, I was raised to reciprocate that kind of thing, so I baked some muffins this afternoon and set a few aside to take over to her later today.  Hooray for having and being good neighbors!

Except that just a little while ago she dropped by with more pie.  So I was saved a trip because I was able to give her the muffins...but now I'm not sure what to make next to thank her for the second batch of pie!  And now I'm a little nervous because I'm worried she might bring me more before I can make it, meaning I'll need to make two things to catch up!  Eeeeeek!

(As you might be able to tell, I'm not actually upset.  After all, I have pie!  ;D)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

andi

« Reply #12959 on: August 29, 2013, 06:26:59 PM »
Overachiever syndrome. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress-and-illness/MY01056

Believe it or not, a real medical phenomenon. Used to call it the 'post-AP flu' when I was in high school. Not as pronounced if it just happens on days off as if you'd had a major issue, but I bet your job stresses you out.

Fun facts about the body! Not medical advice!

Totally makes sense. I used to get them during / just after every UIL/All Region/All State music event back in Jr High and High school. Got to the point where my mom would let me stay home from school the Friday before the event. Just drives me batty because I had a ton of things to do today and I got none of it done. I get off early tomorrow though so maybe I'll get caught up