News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 05:04:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5494189 times)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12840 on: September 01, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »
Nobody has to withstand this.  I think this merits a note to management.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #12841 on: September 01, 2013, 07:07:32 AM »
I agree, I find that rather creepy!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #12842 on: September 03, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »
From. A few days ago- people who refresh their perfume in a public restroom. I could barely breathe with I used the Ladies' at work the other day.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #12843 on: September 03, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »
Not a new thing but that little stat about 1.5 kids always bugged me.  Yes, I know it's an average but that half always annoyed me.  You can't have half a kid, why not just round it up?

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12844 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »
Not a new thing but that little stat about 1.5 kids always bugged me.  Yes, I know it's an average but that half always annoyed me.  You can't have half a kid, why not just round it up?

Sometimes medians are just more useful or relate-able than means.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #12845 on: September 03, 2013, 09:50:20 AM »
Pointless bits of school uniform.

Please note that I am totally in favour of school uniform - reduces competition on fashionable clothes, makes children identifiable on their way to and from school, all the rest. The Younger Chick is moving on from school to Sixth Form College this week, and isn't obliged to wear uniform any more. I've just been helping him to clear his wardrobe. So OK, black trousers are black trousers, useful generally, and plain white shirts the same. A school tie... OK. It bugs me a bit that I had to pay for a clip on tie for him to wear for one year when they changed the requirement from a normal tie. Blazer, badged. Badged track pants. I think he wore them about 3 times. Why not plain black track pants that might be some use out of school? It wasn't possible to buy plain black anything and acquire a badge to sew on; the badge was embroidered into the fabric and it was made clear that this was the only acceptable option (they've changed that this year - I wonder how many of us complained about it? Doesn't do me any good though. Badged sports socks. Compulsory rugby shirt; badged so no use after school. He needed two. I'll try to Freegle that stuff, but...

When we emptied the bottom drawer, there were about 5 outgrown polo shirts - badged - two pairs of outgrown shorts - badged - I don't know how many pairs of badged sports socks. I can't even send them to a local charity shop or Freegle them because two years ago they changed the colours of the school logo and the old ones aren't acceptable any more. I reckon about £250-worth of perfectly acceptable clothing is going in the bin because they wouldn't allow us to buy supermarket sports clothes and sew badges on for any child who was actually going to play in a school team (never a likelihood for either of my children). It's annoying enough having to buy new kit every year because they grow so fast, but having to pay £12 for a sports shirt with a fancy badge on it, when they're 2 for £5 in Asda is beyond irritating. Oh, and the cheap ones can be bleached when the mud and dirt gets too much. The badged one can't because the badge isn't colourfast. Learned that the hard way.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #12846 on: September 03, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »
Now this is really a petty thing but maaaaaan! Of all the times to NOT be able to visit Ocean City! *pout*  I saw that El Galeon left OC and there was a Flikr album shared of her leaving her dock and heading out to sea. 

But who was in one of the pictures of her before she left? Captain Jack Sparrow!!!!! An impersonator, sure, but man that would have been fun to see in person, just for fun!  My bff and I are both POTC lovers and we were already saying how much we wish we could have been there to tour the ship, but it would have been so much fun to get to see this impersonator and maybe get a picture. 

Ah well!  Thank goodness for fbook at least!

Cami

« Reply #12847 on: September 03, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »
This is petty, I admit it. And I do feel badly for my husband, but what's driving me up the wall are his coughs. He has a little cold which as usual results in a cough (has seen the doctor and been reassured that, as usual, it's nothing more. His chest is clear).  As usual his cough is so loud that if I am in the same room with him, the cough actually hurts my ears.  It makes my eardrums actually VIBRATE.

He insists he feels fine and that his chest doesn't hurt or his throat. But it's so incredibly loud that last night I had to sleep in the car in the garage.  (I  could still hear him, but it didn't keep me awake all night.)

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #12848 on: September 03, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »
Pointless bits of school uniform. ... I can't even send them to a local charity shop or Freegle them because two years ago they changed the colours of the school logo and the old ones aren't acceptable any more.
That was one of my BIG complaints about my girls' school uniforms.  Every year, they would change some part of the uniform so that you HAD to buy new stuff.  Couldn't get them as hand-me-downs, or buy them new from anyone but the school supplier. And again, the things were 3 to 4 times more expensive than comparable items from Sears.  I really don't think that the school's name in machine embroidery on the collar of the white blouse changed the value of the blouse from $10 to $35.  I think the supplier was giving them a kickback.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #12849 on: September 03, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
Speaking of uniforms.  Last year we spent $10 for a gym uniform for my oldest child and it was too big on him but we figured well, it'll last him for all 3 years of middle school, it's worth it.

Ugh, no. Now they want us to buy him a plain dark gray shirt.

CuriousParty

« Reply #12850 on: September 03, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »
Pointless bits of school uniform. ... I can't even send them to a local charity shop or Freegle them because two years ago they changed the colours of the school logo and the old ones aren't acceptable any more.
That was one of my BIG complaints about my girls' school uniforms.  Every year, they would change some part of the uniform so that you HAD to buy new stuff.  Couldn't get them as hand-me-downs, or buy them new from anyone but the school supplier. And again, the things were 3 to 4 times more expensive than comparable items from Sears.  I really don't think that the school's name in machine embroidery on the collar of the white blouse changed the value of the blouse from $10 to $35.  I think the supplier was giving them a kickback.

Our school does a used-uniform exchange/sale that benefits the home and school association, which is really useful.  I'm still paying for new things like socks and the polos (because apparently they don't wash well and the old ones are really dingy) but the jumpers and skirts and gym uniforms - all 5.00 per piece (or whatever you can afford). Especially for the jumpers that's a STEAL.

Fortunately, our school also accepts old versions of the school logo.  Free Range Hippie Chick, THAT one would tick me off but good.  You want to change your logo? Knock yourself out.  You want me to re-fit my kid because you changed your logo? Too bad, so sad.

KimberlyM

« Reply #12851 on: September 03, 2013, 01:43:10 PM »
I need to acknowledge that the combination of PMS and having been on steroids for 3 months is making everything irritating, so while these are annoying, they are significantly more annoying at the moment...

1. Husbands fish tanks....entire 3 day weekend eaten up by his "upgrading" tanks.  Now he's complaining about being exhausted and hurting his shoulder doing something we didn't need to do and we really probably can't afford long term.  I've found myself leaving the room frequently to avoid throwing a shoe at him.
2.  School registration...spent a great deal of time filling out paperwork for school fee reductions, as we generally pay $300 at minimum for my 16 year old.  Got everything done just in the nick of time only to find out they don't actually reduce them, they will send me a refund...at "some point"
3.  Office mate has been eating all morning...with her mouth open making noises that actually make me nauseous! 

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #12852 on: September 03, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »

Allergies. Every weekend I go camping, and every Monday and Tuesday I have terrible allergy attacks. Iím fine when Iím there but as soon as I come home I am a disgusting mess. I donít understand it. 
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Olympia

« Reply #12853 on: September 03, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »
Badged track pants. I think he wore them about 3 times. Why not plain black track pants that might be some use out of school? It wasn't possible to buy plain black anything and acquire a badge to sew on; the badge was embroidered into the fabric and it was made clear that this was the only acceptable option (they've changed that this year - I wonder how many of us complained about it? Doesn't do me any good though. Badged sports socks. Compulsory rugby shirt; badged so no use after school. He needed two. I'll try to Freegle that stuff, but...

Why not keep the track pants, socks, and rugby shirt for wearing around the house on days when he doesn't plan to go out? He'd get more use out of them that way.

Olympia

« Reply #12854 on: September 03, 2013, 03:28:05 PM »
Speaking of uniforms.  Last year we spent $10 for a gym uniform for my oldest child and it was too big on him but we figured well, it'll last him for all 3 years of middle school, it's worth it.

$10 for the whole gym uniform? Wow, that's a bargain! The ones at the local school cost at least twice that.