Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1618889 times)

Cami

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12975 on: September 03, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »
This is petty, I admit it. And I do feel badly for my husband, but what's driving me up the wall are his coughs. He has a little cold which as usual results in a cough (has seen the doctor and been reassured that, as usual, it's nothing more. His chest is clear).  As usual his cough is so loud that if I am in the same room with him, the cough actually hurts my ears.  It makes my eardrums actually VIBRATE.

He insists he feels fine and that his chest doesn't hurt or his throat. But it's so incredibly loud that last night I had to sleep in the car in the garage.  (I  could still hear him, but it didn't keep me awake all night.)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12976 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
Pointless bits of school uniform. ... I can't even send them to a local charity shop or Freegle them because two years ago they changed the colours of the school logo and the old ones aren't acceptable any more.
That was one of my BIG complaints about my girls' school uniforms.  Every year, they would change some part of the uniform so that you HAD to buy new stuff.  Couldn't get them as hand-me-downs, or buy them new from anyone but the school supplier. And again, the things were 3 to 4 times more expensive than comparable items from Sears.  I really don't think that the school's name in machine embroidery on the collar of the white blouse changed the value of the blouse from $10 to $35.  I think the supplier was giving them a kickback.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12977 on: September 03, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »
Speaking of uniforms.  Last year we spent $10 for a gym uniform for my oldest child and it was too big on him but we figured well, it'll last him for all 3 years of middle school, it's worth it.

Ugh, no. Now they want us to buy him a plain dark gray shirt.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CuriousParty

« Reply #12978 on: September 03, 2013, 01:28:48 PM »
Pointless bits of school uniform. ... I can't even send them to a local charity shop or Freegle them because two years ago they changed the colours of the school logo and the old ones aren't acceptable any more.
That was one of my BIG complaints about my girls' school uniforms.  Every year, they would change some part of the uniform so that you HAD to buy new stuff.  Couldn't get them as hand-me-downs, or buy them new from anyone but the school supplier. And again, the things were 3 to 4 times more expensive than comparable items from Sears.  I really don't think that the school's name in machine embroidery on the collar of the white blouse changed the value of the blouse from $10 to $35.  I think the supplier was giving them a kickback.

Our school does a used-uniform exchange/sale that benefits the home and school association, which is really useful.  I'm still paying for new things like socks and the polos (because apparently they don't wash well and the old ones are really dingy) but the jumpers and skirts and gym uniforms - all 5.00 per piece (or whatever you can afford). Especially for the jumpers that's a STEAL.

Fortunately, our school also accepts old versions of the school logo.  Free Range Hippie Chick, THAT one would tick me off but good.  You want to change your logo? Knock yourself out.  You want me to re-fit my kid because you changed your logo? Too bad, so sad.

KimberlyM

« Reply #12979 on: September 03, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
I need to acknowledge that the combination of PMS and having been on steroids for 3 months is making everything irritating, so while these are annoying, they are significantly more annoying at the moment...

1. Husbands fish tanks....entire 3 day weekend eaten up by his "upgrading" tanks.  Now he's complaining about being exhausted and hurting his shoulder doing something we didn't need to do and we really probably can't afford long term.  I've found myself leaving the room frequently to avoid throwing a shoe at him.
2.  School registration...spent a great deal of time filling out paperwork for school fee reductions, as we generally pay $300 at minimum for my 16 year old.  Got everything done just in the nick of time only to find out they don't actually reduce them, they will send me a refund...at "some point"
3.  Office mate has been eating all morning...with her mouth open making noises that actually make me nauseous! 

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #12980 on: September 03, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »

Allergies. Every weekend I go camping, and every Monday and Tuesday I have terrible allergy attacks. Iím fine when Iím there but as soon as I come home I am a disgusting mess. I donít understand it. 
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Olympia

« Reply #12981 on: September 03, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »
Badged track pants. I think he wore them about 3 times. Why not plain black track pants that might be some use out of school? It wasn't possible to buy plain black anything and acquire a badge to sew on; the badge was embroidered into the fabric and it was made clear that this was the only acceptable option (they've changed that this year - I wonder how many of us complained about it? Doesn't do me any good though. Badged sports socks. Compulsory rugby shirt; badged so no use after school. He needed two. I'll try to Freegle that stuff, but...

Why not keep the track pants, socks, and rugby shirt for wearing around the house on days when he doesn't plan to go out? He'd get more use out of them that way.

Olympia

« Reply #12982 on: September 03, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »
Speaking of uniforms.  Last year we spent $10 for a gym uniform for my oldest child and it was too big on him but we figured well, it'll last him for all 3 years of middle school, it's worth it.

$10 for the whole gym uniform? Wow, that's a bargain! The ones at the local school cost at least twice that.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #12983 on: September 03, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »
Badged track pants. I think he wore them about 3 times. Why not plain black track pants that might be some use out of school? It wasn't possible to buy plain black anything and acquire a badge to sew on; the badge was embroidered into the fabric and it was made clear that this was the only acceptable option (they've changed that this year - I wonder how many of us complained about it? Doesn't do me any good though. Badged sports socks. Compulsory rugby shirt; badged so no use after school. He needed two. I'll try to Freegle that stuff, but...

Why not keep the track pants, socks, and rugby shirt for wearing around the house on days when he doesn't plan to go out? He'd get more use out of them that way.

Not a hope. The socks seem to be made of knitted wire, and the fabrics of the other things may be great for outdoor sport but they're actually very unpleasant for normal wear. Also, he associates them with compulsory school sport, which he loathed, so no way would he be willing to wear them at home. I'm hoping they'll Freegle. The old style shirts have just been converted into rags to clean out the cat's litter tray.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12984 on: September 03, 2013, 05:00:53 PM »

$10 for the whole gym uniform? Wow, that's a bargain! The ones at the local school cost at least twice that.

That's what we thought too, when we bought it last year, so the "Hey we're changing the uniform!" this year was kind of eyerolly.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #12985 on: September 03, 2013, 07:55:35 PM »
Dreams. When you have one you are absolutely positive is real, then wake up, and realize its not. I think I've had this dream before, that I had an "extra" room in my apt, which I didn't use.

You found Prisoner Zero!

One has to wonder if the Silents invade our dreams and that is the reason we have trouble remembering them. :P

My latest annoyance is having doctor's or dentist's appointments during rush hour at the hottest point of the summer day. My car's a/c is pitiful and I end up miserable.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12986 on: September 03, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »
When I have a dream that I can barely remember, though it would have been a good one to remember.  We've been watching a good deal of Star Trek: Voyager as a family and one night I had a dream involving the holodeck. I can't remember a thing about it other than it did involve the holodeck.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12987 on: September 03, 2013, 08:33:09 PM »
People who don't know the difference between a form fitting yet flattering outfit vs way too tight / looks sprayed on / looks like the outfit wants to snap across the room like a wound rubber band. I pulled into my neighborhood today and got an eyeful of someone bending over and oozing out of their outfit. That person standing back up revealed an equally unflattering view of the oufit.  :P

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12988 on: September 03, 2013, 08:39:23 PM »
People who don't know the difference between a form fitting yet flattering outfit vs way too tight / looks sprayed on / looks like the outfit wants to snap across the room like a wound rubber band. I pulled into my neighborhood today and got an eyeful of someone bending over and oozing out of their outfit. That person standing back up revealed an equally unflattering view of the oufit.  :P

Yeah, it's clothing, not a sausage casing.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

diesel_darlin

« Reply #12989 on: September 03, 2013, 09:02:23 PM »
I work at a gas station that is located near a place where people pay to see ladies dress like that. Some of them don't cover up much beyond a hoodie when they get off work.  ::)