Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1708212 times)

Carotte

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13005 on: September 06, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »
When I'm the only person in a large bathroom, and I'm in the last stall on the end, and someone comes in and stands in front of my stall, obviously dismayed that I'm using "their" stall - then gets into the stall right next to me.

Mythbuster did an episode on that, something like "is the last stall the cleanest?" turns out, since so many people think that the last one will be the cleanest, it often isn't and is one of the most used.
There are other factors for why someone would want the last stall of course, like more privacy.

Cami

« Reply #13006 on: September 06, 2013, 02:00:27 PM »
My co-irker's hyper-competitiveness. (I may have posted about her previously.)  She has to turn EVERYTHING into a competition. And of course, she has to win.

Latest installment: Both her daughter and mine went off to college recently. I mentioned that on move-in day, one of dd's roommates showed up with a huge (and scrumptious-looking) platter of cookies, brownies and bars frm a local bakery and said how kind that was of her.  Co-Irker immediately says, "Well, MY daughter made brownies from scratch and then decorated the top with her roommates names in icing!"

Honestly. Just. Stop. It.

I didn't know Penelope from Saturday Night Live had taken on a second job. I often wondered where she hung out the rest of the week.
Oh wow, good catch. Penelope always made me so nuts, I had to leave the room if there was a skit with that character. And now I spend 8 hours/day with her....

ScubaGirl

« Reply #13007 on: September 06, 2013, 02:24:46 PM »
When I'm the only person in a large bathroom, and I'm in the last stall on the end, and someone comes in and stands in front of my stall, obviously dismayed that I'm using "their" stall - then gets into the stall right next to me.

Mythbuster did an episode on that, something like "is the last stall the cleanest?" turns out, since so many people think that the last one will be the cleanest, it often isn't and is one of the most used.
There are other factors for why someone would want the last stall of course, like more privacy.

Years ago a movie theater I went to would show "did you know" type stuff before the film started.  One I remember to this day is a study done by a University on public bathrooms.  They concluded that the first stall is the least used and cleanest.  Since then I always go to the first stall first.

Betelnut

« Reply #13008 on: September 06, 2013, 06:53:09 PM »
This is a very silly peeve but when Storage Wars and Storage Wars Texas have the auction winner go, "Oh, what's this?" and pull out something then...they cut to commercial.  Now I WANT to see what it is so I'm flipping around and flipping back to the show every 30 seconds to catch the "exciting reveal" of whatever garbage (or not) the person has found.

I also hated on What Not to Where when Carmindy would spin the fashion victim around to reveal her makeup makeover and...cut to commercial. 

It is an effective technique but soooo annoying.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

hjaye

« Reply #13009 on: September 06, 2013, 07:17:48 PM »
This is a very silly peeve but when Storage Wars and Storage Wars Texas have the auction winner go, "Oh, what's this?" and pull out something then...they cut to commercial.  Now I WANT to see what it is so I'm flipping around and flipping back to the show every 30 seconds to catch the "exciting reveal" of whatever garbage (or not) the person has found.

I also hated on What Not to Where when Carmindy would spin the fashion victim around to reveal her makeup makeover and...cut to commercial. 

It is an effective technique but soooo annoying.

That's why whenever possible any show that does things like that we try to record and watch at a later time.  this way we can fast forward through the commercials and don't have to wait.  it doesn't always work since sometimes we're just flipping around and end up settling on some show like mentioned above, then yeah, we have to wait.  I always make a lame joke out of it.  "I don't understand why they're cutting to a commercial now???? Don't they know we want to see what the great surprise is???"   and yes I'm being sarcastic, I do get why they do it............ :)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13010 on: September 07, 2013, 03:53:08 PM »

Years ago a movie theater I went to would show "did you know" type stuff before the film started.  One I remember to this day is a study done by a University on public bathrooms.  They concluded that the first stall is the least used and cleanest.  Since then I always go to the first stall first.
Often the last stall at the end is the handicap-accessible stall.  I usually use it if it's free, because it's larger as well as having the grab bars and higher toilet.  I've seen some 'standard' stalls so small that you have to straddle the toilet in order to close the door!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #13011 on: September 07, 2013, 05:03:41 PM »
Spending time shopping in a store but not finding out till I get to the register that their eftpos machine is down and only cash will do.

Happened today in small kitchenware shop at the mall. Shop assistant said the system had been down since the day before. A sign would nice - not like it had only just happened. Of course, this would be the time I had almost no cash in my purse, a full trolley already, and my bank's ATM was not close by.

Definitely a first world problem - still drives me up the wall.

I've been there before, myself, and it is annoying!
I have to give my Kroger's Kudos. One day my card wouldn't work 3 or 4 other peoples cards wouldn't work we all had the same bank. They confirmed it was a problem with the bank. Put up signs saying that bank's cards weren't working. THey could take checks but I don't carry checks with me. THey stuck my cart in the walk in refrigerator while I ran home and back for the checks.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Xandraea

« Reply #13012 on: September 07, 2013, 11:01:22 PM »
Often the last stall at the end is the handicap-accessible stall.  I usually use it if it's free, because it's larger as well as having the grab bars and higher toilet.  I've seen some 'standard' stalls so small that you have to straddle the toilet in order to close the door!

I also use the larger one when it's available, for the space. "standard" stalls are often tiny, and not only do you have to straddle the toilet to close the door, but then you have to squeeze in beside the over-sized tissue holders that overhang the seat. SO annoying.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13013 on: September 08, 2013, 12:50:24 AM »
Flies.

FLIES.

FLIES!

We have a pestilence in this house.  A veritable cloud of flies.  And they get everywhere.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #13014 on: September 08, 2013, 01:18:34 AM »
Flies are the bane of my existence and this year has been HORRIBLE for them!!!!!  It is embarrassing to have to hang fly strips up but there is nothing else I have found to get rid of the stupid buggers!

Psychopoesie

« Reply #13015 on: September 08, 2013, 01:54:14 AM »
About the flies - fly screens fitted to all the windows works a treat. They're pretty much standard issue in Australia. Of course, it doesn't help when you're out and about but only the occasional fly manages to sneak inside when a door opens.

Carotte

« Reply #13016 on: September 08, 2013, 06:01:15 AM »
E-books that hare not well formated, which is a first world/entitled problem to have since this concern free books - or you know, books that might have been obtained not by the official means...
But books whitout any of the accents when every other words have one or two in french is not easy to read.

poundcake

« Reply #13017 on: September 08, 2013, 06:23:54 AM »
My co-irker's hyper-competitiveness. (I may have posted about her previously.)  She has to turn EVERYTHING into a competition. And of course, she has to win.

Latest installment: Both her daughter and mine went off to college recently. I mentioned that on move-in day, one of dd's roommates showed up with a huge (and scrumptious-looking) platter of cookies, brownies and bars frm a local bakery and said how kind that was of her.  Co-Irker immediately says, "Well, MY daughter made brownies from scratch and then decorated the top with her roommates names in icing!"

Honestly. Just. Stop. It.

I don't think I would be able to stop myself from laughing at that.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13018 on: September 08, 2013, 09:27:17 AM »
About the flies - fly screens fitted to all the windows works a treat. They're pretty much standard issue in Australia. Of course, it doesn't help when you're out and about but only the occasional fly manages to sneak inside when a door opens.

In the summer we don't open windows at all (humidity + heat = uncomfortable house), and the front door has a screen door, but it only takes one pregnant fly coming in to give you a colony.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13019 on: September 08, 2013, 09:55:10 AM »

In the summer we don't open windows at all (humidity + heat = uncomfortable house), and the front door has a screen door, but it only takes one pregnant fly coming in to give you a colony.

First, I've never seen a home without screens on the windows, even both sets of grandparents, whose homes were built in the very early 1900s. (US)

Also, Diane, I'm wondering where in a home a fly could have laid her eggs. I really want to know if I am missing something. Thanks.