Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1692336 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13020 on: September 08, 2013, 09:59:11 AM »
About the flies - fly screens fitted to all the windows works a treat. They're pretty much standard issue in Australia. Of course, it doesn't help when you're out and about but only the occasional fly manages to sneak inside when a door opens.

In the summer we don't open windows at all (humidity + heat = uncomfortable house), and the front door has a screen door, but it only takes one pregnant fly coming in to give you a colony.

First, I've never seen a home without screens on the windows, even both sets of grandparents, whose homes were built in the very early 1900s. (US)

Also, Diane, I'm wondering where in a home a fly could have laid her eggs. I really want to know if I am missing something. Thanks.

Probably in a sink drain.  Pour boiling water down every drain in your house.  I'd repeat it everyday for a week or so, just to be one the safe side.

From a website: How to make a fly trap...

Making a fly trap
Cut the tops off several plastic water bottles and invert the tops into the lower portions, forming a funnel. Put about 2-inches of apple cider vinegar in each bottle with 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Almost all flies, no matter their normal food preference, will enter the trap. Death by drowning or by acid--sugar though is the lure. Flies aren't so different than humans after all.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13021 on: September 08, 2013, 10:11:06 AM »
About the flies - fly screens fitted to all the windows works a treat. They're pretty much standard issue in Australia. Of course, it doesn't help when you're out and about but only the occasional fly manages to sneak inside when a door opens.

In the summer we don't open windows at all (humidity + heat = uncomfortable house), and the front door has a screen door, but it only takes one pregnant fly coming in to give you a colony.

First, I've never seen a home without screens on the windows, even both sets of grandparents, whose homes were built in the very early 1900s. (US)

Also, Diane, I'm wondering where in a home a fly could have laid her eggs. I really want to know if I am missing something. Thanks.

Probably in a sink drain.  Pour boiling water down every drain in your house.  I'd repeat it everyday for a week or so, just to be one the safe side.

From a website: How to make a fly trap...

Making a fly trap
Cut the tops off several plastic water bottles and invert the tops into the lower portions, forming a funnel. Put about 2-inches of apple cider vinegar in each bottle with 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Almost all flies, no matter their normal food preference, will enter the trap. Death by drowning or by acid--sugar though is the lure. Flies aren't so different than humans after all.

Thanks. I never heard of that, but then all of our sink drains get used daily, except the one at the bar, which never has anything but water and alcohol in it. Nothing to breed in.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13022 on: September 08, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
Anybody have a version of that for roaches?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13023 on: September 08, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
Check Amazon for Roach Traps. There are some that aren't all that pricey, but most are a little too high for me - unless they work like magic!

I had good luck with borax powder. Raid works well, but I couldn't deal with the lingering odor. Hot Shot makes a spray that is nearly odorless (not the one with an antibacterial ingredient). Oops! Forgot about the cats! The borax powder can be put under bookshelves and behind junk in closets, and the pests take the stuff back their nests so the cats can't play with the contaminated corpses.

(We have always lived in single-family homes, so once we took care of our own property, we rarely had a recurring problem from the neighbors. I don't have any suggestions for that.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:57:20 AM by Luci45 »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13024 on: September 08, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
Anybody have a version of that for roaches?

Here you go...

Use water jars. A simple and effective homemade way to lure and trap roaches is with a jar placed next to a wall, allowing the roaches to get in, but not escape. Any bait can be placed in the jar, including coffee grounds and water, but it also works with just plain water in drier climates.

Use soda bottles. Cut curved top off, invert and place into top of body so it acts like a funnel into the bottle. Tape into place. With beer in bottom, bugs enter and drown.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Roaches for other ideas.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

missanpan

« Reply #13025 on: September 08, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »
Windshield wipers dragging over a dry windshield. And the person driving doesn't turn them off until I start whining.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #13026 on: September 08, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »
Skunks spraying right under my window.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13027 on: September 08, 2013, 03:07:58 PM »

I was told that in the UK window screens were taxed.  Not as sales tax, but as a property tax.  Never could figure out why such ridiculous tax was imposed to begin with.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #13028 on: September 08, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »

I was told that in the UK window screens were taxed.  Not as sales tax, but as a property tax.  Never could figure out why such ridiculous tax was imposed to begin with.

Not true.  We don't even have window screens here.

"Window tax" (as in, property tax based on the number of windows you had) was abolished hundreds of years ago.

There's a Snopes thread on it here: http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/80/t/000675.html

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #13029 on: September 08, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
The stupid way my district does insurance sign ups

During the last days of school you meet with the insurance guy he is on your campus 1 day and there are only 2 of them. If you have an end of the year ard during you conference well you will have to go at lunch  and they aren't allowed to stay past 4.

You get this print out from them. Then you have. To log into a system and input the data. I'm a geek, love computers and I find it confusing. The same company handles insurance for FBISD, and Stafford ISD the company handles uploading the info not employees according to there representatives..

I got sick last night not er sick but walk In clinic that is open Sundays sick. My new card had not come in Friday. So I tried to log into the insurance company site to get a temp card. IT SAID I DID NOT HAVE INSURANCE. Went to the school site and it looked like I had not put in my selections. Cue panic.

Paid full fees for walkin clinic and meds for my eye. Went by the place I have mail delivered. The card was there relief but I'm still out over $100.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #13030 on: September 08, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »
Not sure who I am more annoyed with, but I guess I'll go with the insurance adjuster.

In the third week of July, our DDs' car was struck in a drunk-driving hit and run. (No one was hurt, the car was in a public parking lot.)

The bystanders were amazing in getting info on the fleeing car, making police reports and so on. The driver was in custody within 90 minutes!

Because of where the damage is, the car is not safe to drive until a mechanic looks at it.
We can't have a mechanic check it until the damage appraiser sees the car.
The appraiser can't check the car until the insurance gets the final police report.

And...we still don't have the final police report.
This is annoying in and of itself, but I am trying to be patient. I know this is not a simple case and it may take more time.

What is really, really annoying is the insurance adjuster.
He does not return calls. Ever. If he's not available when the girls call in, there is no point leaving a message. They have left several in the past 7 weeks and he has never called back.

Also, the adjuster has frequently given us wrong information or promised things he cannot deliver.
For example - I talked to him on July 31. He told me he had asked the police to expedite the report and he would have it on the Friday or Monday. (Aug 2 or 5). He would send the appraiser out immediately and we would be able to start work on the car no later than Tuesday.
I made arrangements with a local garage to have the work done.

No car. No paperwork, no phone call.
It's now Sept 8 and the girls had to leave for college with no car. I just made an extra trip down to deliver bicycles xo they can get to their jobs.

I.Am. Not. Happy.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13031 on: September 08, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »

During the last days of school you meet with the insurance guy he is on your campus 1 day and there are only 2 of them. If you have an end of the year ard during you conference well you will have to go at lunch  and they aren't allowed to stay past 4.

You get this print out from them. Then you have. To log into a system and input the data. I'm a geek, love computers and I find it confusing. The same company handles insurance for FBISD, and Stafford ISD the company handles uploading the info not employees according to there representatives..

I got sick last night not er sick but walk In clinic that is open Sundays sick. My new card had not come in Friday. So I tried to log into the insurance company site to get a temp card. IT SAID I DID NOT HAVE INSURANCE. Went to the school site and it looked like I had not put in my selections. Cue panic.

Paid full fees for walkin clinic and meds for my eye. Went by the place I have mail delivered. The card was there relief but I'm still out over $100.

Check with the company, you may be able to file a written claim for partial or full reimbursement.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #13032 on: September 08, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »

Can't you send the receipt to the insurance company for reimbursement?

Oops, sorry Dazi, didn't see that you already suggested this.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:41:00 PM by EmmaJ. »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13033 on: September 08, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
I'm craving PICKLES (and no, definitely not pregnant).  In the past week I've eaten nearly two jars of them.  I had an appointment with the doc recently and was basically told to eat them to my heart's content along with tomatoes, avocados and bananas.  It's really hot here right now and apparently I'm just not getting enough salt or potassium for my fluid/sweat loss...I'm getting enough fluids because I usually drink 3L liters a day (side effect of my asthma/allergy meds...makes me very thirsty).

I rarely add salt to anything, but as I'm sitting here, I'm drinking chicken broth that I added extra salt and salt substitute/potassium chloride.  Normally, I don't break 1000mg for salt per day, but I've probably had three times that today.

Unless this craving stops, I'm going to have to go back to the store for more pickles tomorrow..  I came really close to drinking the dingdangity juice.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13034 on: September 09, 2013, 12:23:59 AM »
I completely understand that.  I'm also a pickle freak.  Did you know that Napoleon and Cleopatra also were?