Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1741812 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13080 on: September 11, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »
People who take a difference of opinion as a personal insult. It's like they can't understand that I can like something they don't without judging them.

Oh yes, and the opposite - that I can dislike something they like and it's not an issue.

I've belonged to other internet communities, and this gets to be a huge deal, and is a giant peeve of mine. Person A posts that they love Yellow. Person B posts that they love Pink. Person C posts that they've had good experiences with both Yellow and Pink, but prefer Orange. Person A freaks out that everyone is "smacking them down" and judging them. Even better when it escalates to how Person B and C are intolerant of anyone who prefers Yellow.   ::) :-\
*CoughcoughMILcoughcough*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Carotte

« Reply #13081 on: September 11, 2013, 12:44:54 PM »
Urg, I just found out the real estate group from which we rent will be doing major renovation in the building, like, "we'll move you out to another building in the meanwhile" renovations.
Which I guess is not that bad, seems like SO (I'm not on the lease) might even be able to negotiate a better apartment in the process, or even if we come back to this one at least it won't rain the kitchen.
But I wish I had known that before we went out and purchased 260$ worth of stuff and I spent 5 days painting the bedroom!
First world problem but it was just starting to feel like I actually live here (with a wall color that I choose and not the dirty-oh-look-mold-off-white color it was.).

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #13082 on: September 11, 2013, 02:31:37 PM »
People not dipping their headlights!  >:(

KimberlyM

« Reply #13083 on: September 11, 2013, 07:48:46 PM »
MIL is visiting from out of state.  She has been passive-aggressively tormenting me on FB for weeks and I can't call her on it...must keep the peace...8 more days.  I may put in for overtime...

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #13084 on: September 11, 2013, 09:04:16 PM »
I started using face wash to help with my acne.  Good news: my acne is much more under control and my nose  isn't full of clogged pores.  Bad news: I now have little bumps all over my cheeks.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13085 on: September 11, 2013, 09:51:34 PM »
In the vein of the hot weather Maryland's been having recently, someone shared that one county was closing their schools 2 hours early because of the heat.  One person called the kids pampered and entitled (like it was their choice?) while someone else wondered if there was no a/c.

Me, I was wondering too if there was no a/c because otherwise it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to send kids outside onto buses or walking home when they'd be getting out around noon or so, going into the hottest part of the day.  If the school does have a/c it just seems to make sense to keep them in. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

squeakers

« Reply #13086 on: September 11, 2013, 10:07:56 PM »
In the vein of the hot weather Maryland's been having recently, someone shared that one county was closing their schools 2 hours early because of the heat.  One person called the kids pampered and entitled (like it was their choice?) while someone else wondered if there was no a/c.

Me, I was wondering too if there was no a/c because otherwise it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to send kids outside onto buses or walking home when they'd be getting out around noon or so, going into the hottest part of the day.  If the school does have a/c it just seems to make sense to keep them in.

Iowa here: many of our schools don't have AC.  And the heat of the day doesn't really hit until around 2pm. 

Fans just can't keep up with the heat of 20-30 bodies in a small room.  Which means kids get drowsy and are no longer learning.  And even in the schools that do have AC it can't keep up when temps are in the 90-100F range.

So we let out at 1pm giving kids a chance to get home where if they don't have AC they can run through a hose, not be in a hot room with tons of other body heat, take a cool shower, drink some ice water.  Things they can't do sitting in a classroom.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

ishka

« Reply #13087 on: September 12, 2013, 01:17:10 AM »
I am sure this has been brought up before on this thread but people who use their indicators incorrectly drive me completely up the wall.

The two main culprits are

1.  Using indicators not to give notice that they are going to turn shortly but as they are actually turning.  It's almost like they just stick their little finger out and catch it on the indicator as they turn the wheel.  I assume that this is a failure in driver education, they seem to have a vague idea that there is a connection between indicating and turning but have no idea what that connection is supposed to be.

2.  Is a similar lack of understanding that indicators are meant for the benefit of other drivers.  Where there are two or more lanes of traffic and no dedicated turning lane I will look at the indicators of the cars in front of me to assess the likely delay.  If there is a car waiting to turn across on-coming traffic I will take the other lane.  It really creases my brow when the car in front of me waits until the light changes to indicate and I am stuck waiting behind them, usually for almost a full cycle of the light, while the other lane cruises past.

Also, while I am on my driving rant, people who assume that everybody drives an automatic car.  I drive a manual (stick in the US) and it makes me very tense when I have to stop on a steep hill and the driver behind me comes thisclose to the back of my car.  I am so worried about having a tiny bit of roll back that I end up over accelerating and roaring off like a complete hoon.  Just a little bit of space would make things so much less stressful.  (I am a good driver but on very steep hills a bit of roll back, maybe six inches, can be difficult to avoid)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13088 on: September 12, 2013, 06:35:27 AM »
Having once driven a stick shift, I completely understand! I used to want to put a little sign on my bumper saying "Manual transmission-tailgate at your own risk".

And another pet peeve as far as signaling goes, those who will have their signal on for a mile while driving very slowly, especially when you can't pass them. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13089 on: September 12, 2013, 06:42:31 AM »
Heck, even in an automatic you can have roll back.  There's a very small, but steepish hill  I have to go up and down every day.  Many cars roll back several inches to a foot or two depending on their size.  Everyone in town knows you leave at least 1/4 car length between you and the vehicle in front of you and a whole car length if it's a big bacon-fed knave truck.

ETA: To top it off there is a red light at the top of it.  I have no idea whose genius idea that was.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #13090 on: September 12, 2013, 07:06:39 AM »
That's why UK driving lessons include hill starts, most cars here are manual.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13091 on: September 12, 2013, 08:43:57 AM »
People who are dropping off workers and students at my building that park immediately in front of the doors! There is a 30 ft section for drop-offs and the people who park and are walking have to go around the car that is smack dab in the middle! Your precious passenger can walk the same distance if you pull up a little or hang back some.

Geez.

The worst is, they block the disabled access panel for the door, so our people in wheelchairs have to do drastic maneuvers to get to it.  >:(

perpetua

« Reply #13092 on: September 12, 2013, 08:57:23 AM »

Yes - reading this thread I was really surprised that there are people who don't know how to start on a hill without rolling back - it's one of the first things we learn and it's part of our practical driving test so you have to demonstrate you can do it before they'll give you a licence. Handbrake on, let the clutch out to the biting point with the gas on, handbrake off, off you go. I don't think I've ever rolled back on a hill in 20+ years of driving a manual. I also appreciate though that many US people seem to learn with their parents and not through a driving school with an instructor, which is something else that puzzles me but there you go.

Top of my list of things that are driving me up the wall today: Fair weather friends.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13093 on: September 12, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »
It drove me up the wall that I couldn't get a manual transmission for most of the vehicles I was looking at recently!  I ended up buying the only one in the class that had one.  I did look at another style of vehicle that also had a stick but decided against it for other reasons.

Next time I go to buy a vehicle, I doubt I'll be able to get a stick in the vehicle I want, with all the features I want.  If I was willing to go for the bare bones base model, I could probably get a stick.  But I want some bells and whistles, dang it!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ishka

« Reply #13094 on: September 12, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »

Yes - reading this thread I was really surprised that there are people who don't know how to start on a hill without rolling back - it's one of the first things we learn and it's part of our practical driving test so you have to demonstrate you can do it before they'll give you a licence. Handbrake on, let the clutch out to the biting point with the gas on, handbrake off, off you go. I don't think I've ever rolled back on a hill in 20+ years of driving a manual. I also appreciate though that many US people seem to learn with their parents and not through a driving school with an instructor, which is something else that puzzles me but there you go.

Top of my list of things that are driving me up the wall today: Fair weather friends.

I am not in the US and I learnt to drive through a driving school with an instructor.  I also did a driving test in a manual car that included hill starts.  So be surprised and puzzled if you must but I still find that cars running right up my back end on extremely steep hills drives me up the wall.  It's not that I "don't know how to start on a hill" and I don't see what your supposedly superior driving skills have to do with the subject of this thread.