Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1316516 times)

Hillia

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13125 on: September 13, 2013, 08:33:47 PM »
People who self-diagnose and exaggerate in order to excuse their behavior.  DH has a cousin who insists that he has 'migraines' and uses them to excuse him being an utter jerk or get out of doing things he doesn't want to do.  However, when he has a 'migraine', he's able to spend hours online playing games, watching movies, etc.  Bad headache?  Sure.  But he's never been to a doctor to get a real diagnosis.  His latest announcement was that he has Asperger's, again totally self diagnosed after several people confronted him on his unpleasant and unsportsmanlike behavior during several D&D sessions.

What makes me nuts about this is that I know there are people who really suffer with various conditions, who have no choice and no control over them; for him to use the diagnoses to get out of taking responsibility for himself seems like a slap in the face to them.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13126 on: September 13, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
That sort of thing and the "this is how Diety made me so you just have to put up with me or hit the road!" is an attitude I've had enough of.

Yes it is nice to be accepted for who one is, but I also have little to no patience for adults who refuse to grow and mature and throw out one excuse after another for why they shouldn't be expected to do so.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Xandraea

« Reply #13127 on: September 13, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
People who self-diagnose and exaggerate in order to excuse their behavior.  DH has a cousin who insists that he has 'migraines' and uses them to excuse him being an utter jerk or get out of doing things he doesn't want to do.  However, when he has a 'migraine', he's able to spend hours online playing games, watching movies, etc.  Bad headache?  Sure.  But he's never been to a doctor to get a real diagnosis.  His latest announcement was that he has Asperger's, again totally self diagnosed after several people confronted him on his unpleasant and unsportsmanlike behavior during several D&D sessions.

What makes me nuts about this is that I know there are people who really suffer with various conditions, who have no choice and no control over them; for him to use the diagnoses to get out of taking responsibility for himself seems like a slap in the face to them.

This man has no idea what a migraine feels like. I spend hours a day online gaming or reading Ehell, but on the (thankfully rare) occasion I have a migraine, it hurts to sit/stand, light hurts, and I feel nauseous if I move too fast. Last week I literally pulled a blanket over my eyes, curled up around my puppy and ended up taking a nap for over an hour.  Woke up feeling better.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #13128 on: September 14, 2013, 01:03:17 AM »

...What a load of utter bollocks. >:(

I used to suffer from migraines, and you'd better believe that TV, games, reading, and anything else that required visual focus or concentration was Right Out when one hit me. There are people who have migraines with no visual component / impairment, but they're rare, and they're still suffering from one heck of a headache! (Unless they have abdominal migraines, in which case they're probably doubled up weeping about the incredible stomach pain and cramps. Been there too.)

As for the Aspergers self-diagnosis, if somebody genuinely has Aspergers it's hard for them to learn social cues and how to behave - not impossible! It means they need to listen when people correct them and work to change their own behaviour, NOT that they get a free pass to be asshats. *grumble*

Your DH's cousin is just a <rude word>, Hillia, whether he really has those conditions or not. :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13129 on: September 14, 2013, 02:07:44 AM »

People like that disgust me. The first time I had an actual migraine, I was in so much pain I was curled up in a ball and could not open my eyes or walk. I seriously thought "Oh my deity, I must be seconds from having a stroke or a heart attack!" I was ready to have my boyfriend call an ambulance

caz

« Reply #13130 on: September 14, 2013, 05:34:39 AM »
Ok. Something that drives me nuts. I know it's unreasonable and I never say anything out loud about it, but I don't mind telling you. Caitlin. Anybody here called Caitlin? As a name it's become very popular since about the mid-70s. And I know, I have to give in on this: nowadays it's pronounced Kate-Lynn.

The original name is pronounced Kathleen.  Please, please, if you want to call your daughter Kate-Lynn, spell it Kate-Lynn. I mean, I've met a Shevaun, and I have no trouble with that,  and I know several women called Siobhan which is the original spelling of the same name, but I've never met one who pronounces it See-Ob-Han, so why does Caitlin become Kate-Lynn?

I know, I know, nobody is going to agree with me, I just have to get over it. But I think it's silly. I'm allowed to think so as long as I don't say it out loud, right?

If it makes you feel better, in Gaelic pronunciation, Caitlin would probably be closer to Cot-Lynn.  Cáit is more like caw-it (said quickly) and lín IS leen. The fadas (diacritics) over the vowels lengthen them :)  My Irish is pretty basic, so I'm happy to be corrected!

Emmy

« Reply #13131 on: September 14, 2013, 08:14:29 AM »
As for things driving me crazy - pressure from ILs to drive 6.5 hours to see them for an upcoming holiday.  Ordinarily I'd be up for it, but I'll be 36 wks pregnant at that point (which they fully know), and even now I get very uncomfortable sitting in a chair for longer than an hour.  Being trapped in a car all day would be awful.

Maybe you could tell your IL's that you don't want to risk being on the road or away from home that late in pregnancy.  Tell them the doctor would recommend not being so far from your hospital/doctors that late in pregnancy.  I had to travel late in my pregnancy and discussed it with my doctor.  They recommended I did not travel long distance beyond 36 weeks by either car or plane and wrote a note with the final date recommended for traveling (in case the airline would question me about my pregnancy).  Many women deliver a few prior to their expected due date and you wouldn't want to away from home and your doctors if you happen to go into labor.   

mmswm

« Reply #13132 on: September 14, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »
Along the lines of people who self-diagnose: People who are not doctors and diagnose others.

According to my mother, two of my kids are autistic and I'm bi-polar.  She told this to my therapist, who told me later that it took all her self control not to laugh in her face.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #13133 on: September 14, 2013, 12:51:39 PM »

Is it e-hell approved to say something like "I'm glad you've identified why you have problems with social skills. What are you doing to improve that?" (I also doubt that your cousin has Asperger's--but if I'm wrong, something like that would be a reasonable thing to say to him. And someone with Asperger's would be unlikely to be upset at being asked: he might say "I haven't figured that out yet" or "I don't know where to start" but would be unlikely to take offense, though the exact same question might bother a sensitive neurotypical person.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13134 on: September 14, 2013, 11:01:43 PM »
The world's smallest woman (20 years old) was on Inside Edition tonight. She was being carried around by a friend because she can't walk very far. One tourist shook her tiny hand and said in a baby tone "Aww, that's so sweet." Oy vey....

nuit93

« Reply #13135 on: September 15, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »
I was reading a book about healthy living and in the losing weight chapter they said "set realistic goals" and went on to describe ideal weights.  The book said a 5'5 woman of average build should weigh 120 lbs.  That seems pretty unrealistic to me.  I am just under 5'5 and I get told I look too thin if I weigh under 125.

Seriously? I'm that height, and I would have on the larger end of "average build" but the last time I weighed that, I think, was pre-puberty. I'm currently doing WW and the "range" for that height is 120-150.

I'd say that's unrealistic too.  I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs is low- to average for that height for an average build and decent muscle tone (from my personal experience that's a US size 4, aka "Small").  For 5'5" a goal weight of 120 lbs wouldn't allow for any added weight due to muscle tone from working out, which I'd say is a component for healthy living.

As for things driving me crazy - pressure from ILs to drive 6.5 hours to see them for an upcoming holiday.  Ordinarily I'd be up for it, but I'll be 36 wks pregnant at that point (which they fully know), and even now I get very uncomfortable sitting in a chair for longer than an hour.  Being trapped in a car all day would be awful.

I wish my mother could be reading this...she's 5'6" and a size 2/4 (so probably around 120?) and thinks I would look just fine as a size 2.

HAHAHAHA...not happening.  I could train my hiney off and get down to a 6/8, but 2/4 would require major diet changes on top of that.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13136 on: September 15, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »
Along the lines of people who self-diagnose: People who are not doctors and diagnose others.

According to my mother, two of my kids are autistic and I'm bi-polar.  She told this to my therapist, who told me later that it took all her self control not to laugh in her face.

My mother would do that sort of thing too.  Many years ago she was determined to diagnose me with something because she was certain there just had to be something wrong with me.  First I was bipolar, then I was OCD, then I had Aspergers.  She was so embarrassed that I wasn't what she considered to be "normal" and always was a square peg/free spirit, so I suspect she wanted to be able to say "Oh don't mind Pirate, she has X diagnosis" to write off any behaviors she deemed as "odd".   ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13137 on: September 15, 2013, 05:59:35 PM »
The people who whine, "I am just SSSSOOOOO FFFAAATTTT!" that are not more than a US size 10 in ladies clothes.  I find it annoying and sad. I've never met anyone that didn't have at least one part of their body they didn't like, but I can't imagine thinking a size 6-8-10 is fat.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13138 on: September 15, 2013, 06:21:30 PM »
I can, unfortunately.  Now granted, some do it because they want to be told that they look as beautiful as they're sure they do. But there are some who have been fed enough bs about weight that they actually do believe they are chubby if they wear anything bigger than an American 4.

I mean I am a size 10 now and I'm sure my folks would about have a cow if they knew that.  Heck they thought I was a bit too round when I weighed 125lbs and wore a size 8.  It took listening to DH and my bff to finally come around and be okay with how I look.  (though I could stand to lose a bit around the middle now but I'm not too concerned if I never see a size 8 again.)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #13139 on: September 15, 2013, 06:34:11 PM »
When people throw money especially change down on the counter (I'm a clerk) and then proceed to stick their hand almost up my nose so I will put their change in their hand. Little thing, I know.  :P