News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 04:13:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5498115 times)

Cherry91

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13020 on: September 16, 2013, 04:59:50 AM »
I just want to say...

ANTS.

I was late to work this morning because the darn insects decided to invade my Cheerios box and I had to track them to their entry point and clean up the mess after spraying in the necessary crack under the windowsill. I had to nibble a cereal bar in the car.

I still feel as if ants are all over my skin, however they aren't. Now I am paranoid about another invasion. It's always this time of year. They WILL return and it's just a matter of when. I can't leave ANYTHING exposed or they will get into it!

ETA: Oh, wow, this is my 100th post!

This. I can stand pretty much any other insect within reason, even spiders, but put me near ants and I will FREAK. OUT.

When I was still working in a cafe, ants somehow managed to make a nest in one of the plantpots (we think it started off outside, then was brought inside when the weather got colder). The second we realised, we knew we had to get rid of the plantpot for health and safety reasons. When my manager asked me to pick up the pot, the pot that contained an ants nest, I nearly cried. I think I went slightly green, because he almost instantly changed his mind and said he'd do it.
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #13021 on: September 16, 2013, 05:59:06 AM »
Along the lines of people who self-diagnose: People who are not doctors and diagnose others.

According to my mother, two of my kids are autistic and I'm bi-polar.  She told this to my therapist, who told me later that it took all her self control not to laugh in her face.

My mother would do that sort of thing too.  Many years ago she was determined to diagnose me with something because she was certain there just had to be something wrong with me.  First I was bipolar, then I was OCD, then I had Aspergers.  She was so embarrassed that I wasn't what she considered to be "normal" and always was a square peg/free spirit, so I suspect she wanted to be able to say "Oh don't mind Pirate, she has X diagnosis" to write off any behaviors she deemed as "odd".   ::)

Are we sure you're not my long lost sister?  Between this and other things you've posted, I'm fairly certain we have the same mother.

Anything's possible! LOL! Hi sis! ;)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Cami

« Reply #13022 on: September 16, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »
Being picky about unimportant details and making other people miserable as a result of your own pecadillos: Edition: My wedding.

This story is one of my favorite "Gotcha" with my mother's critical nature. When I got married, she was determined that I had to go to a certain shop, "Borgias".  She had bought her mother of the bride gown at Borgias.  I told her I was not going to Borgias because everyone I knew who bought a gown there had problems with it arriving on time and lousy customer service (I truly have no idea how they stayed in business as long as they did).  Also, my parents were paying for my wedding and had given me $200 total for gown/shoes/veil -- which was totally inadequate to begin with -- and Borgias was very expensive and therefore I couldn't afford Borgias.

Major fight ensued. She also had a particular style in mind for my gown that was not going to happen. So another fight ensued, "But that's the only REAL wedding gown style!" Yaddayaddayadda. I went to Another Store and bought the gown I wanted, mostly with my own money. Cue my mother's negative comments for MONTHS about, "I can't believe you didn't go to Borgias! I got my mother of the bride gown there! What will people think if you don't get your gown there?" To which at one point, I retorted, "That YOU are cheap?"

Fast forward to two days before my wedding when my father calls me. My father on the phone is cause for great alarm because up to this point, he had NEVER called me on the phone before. He hurriedly and in a whisper tells me that. "You were right about Borgias. Your wedding is on Saturday and your mother's gown is not in and they don't seem to care. Your mother is freaking. Bye!" My mother calls a minute later and announces that we have to cancel MY wedding because HER gown is not in. "Yeah, not going to happen, Mom. YOU were the one who insisted upon going to Borgias even though I told you of their reputation. This is your problem and your problem is not going to stop MY wedding."   It's not charitable of me, but wow, did I enjoy that moment.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:30:35 AM by Cami »

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #13023 on: September 16, 2013, 10:02:59 AM »
...My mother calls a minute later and announces that we have to cancel MY wedding because HER gown is not in.

Whaaaaaaaaat?!  :o

Carotte

« Reply #13024 on: September 16, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »
Good for you!
And who would have known the two dresses came from different stores anyway? or carred for all that matter?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #13025 on: September 16, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
This is a personal opinion, but people who roll their briefcases into the bathroom stall with them at my work. I don't get squicked out easily, but that does it.  :-X
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Hillia

« Reply #13026 on: September 16, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »
This is a personal opinion, but people who roll their briefcases into the bathroom stall with them at my work. I don't get squicked out easily, but that does it.  :-X

In my company it would be a termination offense if my laptop were stolen due to my negligence, so you betcha my case goes everywhere with me.  I wouldn't leave a briefcase which potentially contains confidential or important information outside my immediate control, either.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #13027 on: September 16, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »
Good for you!
And who would have known the two dresses came from different stores anyway? or carred for all that matter?

I agree, would anyone have really noticed or cared besides your mother?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

« Reply #13028 on: September 16, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »

In my company it would be a termination offense if my laptop were stolen due to my negligence, so you betcha my case goes everywhere with me.  I wouldn't leave a briefcase which potentially contains confidential or important information outside my immediate control, either.

Totally reasonable, its just a pet peeve of mine. I understand why you would have to if traveling.

Also, our bathroom floors at work are rarely cleaned, so that may be on a case by case basis.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Cami

« Reply #13029 on: September 16, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »
Good for you!

Precisely no one! Not one person asked my anything about where I bought my dress.  Nor did anyone ask my mother where she bought hers. (She did end up getting it from Borgias after going in with a friend, but only after causing a scene. Turns out that once my mother caused a scene they were able to find her gown.)

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #13030 on: September 16, 2013, 03:40:08 PM »
Good for you!

Precisely no one! Not one person asked my anything about where I bought my dress.  Nor did anyone ask my mother where she bought hers. (She did end up getting it from [n]Borgias[/n] after going in with a friend, but only after causing a scene. Turns out that once my mother caused a scene they were able to find her gown.)

The store name seems so appropriate, somehow.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #13031 on: September 16, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. :)

Cami

« Reply #13032 on: September 16, 2013, 03:44:43 PM »
Good for you!

Precisely no one! Not one person asked my anything about where I bought my dress.  Nor did anyone ask my mother where she bought hers. (She did end up getting it from [n]Borgias[/n] after going in with a friend, but only after causing a scene. Turns out that once my mother caused a scene they were able to find her gown.)

The store name seems so appropriate, somehow.
I know, right?

ladyknight1

« Reply #13033 on: September 19, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »
Food monopolizers at work. We have one employee (Y) that must be first in line for any type of gathering containing food. So much so that Y will hover over the other employees putting the food out and warming things up and actually stand in the way of those working.

Any suggestions on getting Y to back off? It has only gotten worse over 7 years.
-J.R.R Tolkien

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #13034 on: September 19, 2013, 12:30:54 PM »
Food monopolizers at work. We have one employee (Y) that must be first in line for any type of gathering containing food. So much so that Y will hover over the other employees putting the food out and warming things up and actually stand in the way of those working.

Any suggestions on getting Y to back off? It has only gotten worse over 7 years.

High voltage shock collar?  ;)

I've had to deal with people like that as well - I would usually ask the culprit (if I was the organizer) to please move back so people have room to work - there's plenty for everyone (with a big smile on my face.)