Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1562818 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13170 on: September 19, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
one for her, and one for her husband

Whaaat?  I'm guessing her husband didn't work for your company; how on earth did she get away with that?

I work with a Food Monopolizer, too.   A group of us went out for lunch at a buffet place a few years ago, and one of the items in the buffet was pizza.  They were temporarily out of pizza when we arrived, and oh boy, you would've thought the world was ending.  He badgered the poor waitress - where was the pizza?  When were they getting more?  When more was placed in the buffet, he nearly knocked three people over to get to it first.

No, he didn't work there. She would take a plate and fill it to heaping, then cover it and put it in the refrigerator. She would take it home for him at the end of the day.

Her boss was notorious for bringing a bag of chips or one two-liter soda and then eating 4-5 plates of food, while critiquing the dishes in front of us. He was educated in pot luck etiquette by his boss.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #13171 on: September 19, 2013, 07:41:45 PM »
I worked with a guy like that, too.  He would double the pizza order and hide the "extras" to tke home to his family. On the company's dime.  I get that feeding a large family is difficult, but that's theft.

>:(

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #13172 on: September 19, 2013, 11:24:06 PM »
That the parents at my school are not allowed to 1/2 their share of food at a meeting with their kids waiting in the hall. (staff walk out with food in hand but only get in trouble if they hand it to their child. If the staff member eats it that is fine). They are students - they arrive earlier than other students and stay later and they are hungry. So now the parents work together and who ever gets off duty first makes a snack for them, only to be fussed at that they are eating in the hall.

1. They can't be in the classroom unsupervised
2. THey can't be in the meeting
3. They are only allowed to be in the hall
4. Most of them are K - 1 right now which means they ate lunch at 10:45 - 11:15 it is 4 they are starved.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

diesel_darlin

« Reply #13173 on: September 19, 2013, 11:31:39 PM »
Being picky about unimportant details and making other people miserable as a result of your own pecadillos: Edition: My wedding.

This story is one of my favorite "Gotcha" with my mother's critical nature. When I got married, she was determined that I had to go to a certain shop, "Borgias".  She had bought her mother of the bride gown at Borgias.  I told her I was not going to Borgias because everyone I knew who bought a gown there had problems with it arriving on time and lousy customer service (I truly have no idea how they stayed in business as long as they did).  Also, my parents were paying for my wedding and had given me $200 total for gown/shoes/veil -- which was totally inadequate to begin with -- and Borgias was very expensive and therefore I couldn't afford Borgias.

Major fight ensued. She also had a particular style in mind for my gown that was not going to happen. So another fight ensued, "But that's the only REAL wedding gown style!" Yaddayaddayadda. I went to Another Store and bought the gown I wanted, mostly with my own money. Cue my mother's negative comments for MONTHS about, "I can't believe you didn't go to Borgias! I got my mother of the bride gown there! What will people think if you don't get your gown there?" To which at one point, I retorted, "That YOU are cheap?"

Fast forward to two days before my wedding when my father calls me. My father on the phone is cause for great alarm because up to this point, he had NEVER called me on the phone before. He hurriedly and in a whisper tells me that. "You were right about Borgias. Your wedding is on Saturday and your mother's gown is not in and they don't seem to care. Your mother is freaking. Bye!" My mother calls a minute later and announces that we have to cancel MY wedding because HER gown is not in. "Yeah, not going to happen, Mom. YOU were the one who insisted upon going to Borgias even though I told you of their reputation. This is your problem and your problem is not going to stop MY wedding."   It's not charitable of me, but wow, did I enjoy that moment.

I guess the guests at my wedding were all just appalled that the dress my mom wore as her MOB dress was a dress that belonged to me.  ;D ;D

Carotte

« Reply #13174 on: September 20, 2013, 08:11:01 AM »
I'm not my SO's internet connection and search engine by proxy!
He's currently at the other end of the world, on holiday with two of his best friends, in a country I used to live in more than 10 years ago.
So yeah sure, I speak the language (so does google translate), but haven't been in that city that went trough major changes for the past ten years. I'm not the person you should ask to look up restaurants!
Ask internet, ask a local, ask your hotel, or at least provide me with more info!
At least one of the friends has a smartphone and I'd venture a pretty good access to the internet on it.
Same goes when you have questions about internet and cellphone providers. Again, 10 years, and I was 14 when I left, internet barely existed then.
Ask a freaking employee of the hostel, it's probably not the first time he's helped someone do that.

Arg, and I know he'd be at least as much put out as I am if I was the one to ask him  ::)

hjaye

« Reply #13175 on: September 20, 2013, 09:17:35 AM »
I forgot about this one, but was reminded of it when I woke up this morning.

Sty on the inside of my eyelid.  I really hate them.  they will last anywhere from a half a day to three days.  I'm not sure how long this one will last, but it has already lasted a half a morning longer than I want it to.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #13176 on: September 20, 2013, 09:44:59 AM »
I forgot about this one, but was reminded of it when I woke up this morning.

Sty on the inside of my eyelid.  I really hate them.  they will last anywhere from a half a day to three days.  I'm not sure how long this one will last, but it has already lasted a half a morning longer than I want it to.

I hope it goes away soon. I'm sure that's uncomfortable.

What drives me up the wall is people who call listening to music on Spotify/iTunes/their mp3 player/the record player from the boy who lives down the lane "music therapy". There is a place for pre-recorded music in music therapy, but just listening to music is listening to music. It makes you feel better sometimes, but it's not therapy. It makes it difficult to look for interesting and helpful, relevant posts on tumblr about my future profession when people tag every song that makes them happy as "music therapy".

Also, singing in the car isn't music therapy, and it hurts my feelings when people say, "Music therapy? I already do that when I'm driving home from work!" Yes, I know the person is joking, but I am working very hard to be able to help people as a music therapist, and it's hard to not be driven up a wall when people say things like that.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

blahblahblah

« Reply #13177 on: September 20, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »
When people try to make small talk with me even if I have on headphones. And it's pretty obvious that I have on headphones and am listening to something. Some of them have even commented on something to that effect, e.g. "wow, that's a really small mp3 player!" It's annoying when someone says something to me without even trying to get my attention first (to let me know that they want to say something), so I don't hear them at first, so I have to take off my headphones and say, "What was that?" and they repeat themselves, and it's always some banal observation or comment about the weather (not literally the weather, but about as important). Gee, thanks for interrupting me to tell me something completely pointless.

Really, I don't know why people feel compelled to chit chat just because we're on the elevator together, which is where it happens the most. Ten seconds of silence won't kill you, I promise.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #13178 on: September 20, 2013, 10:08:43 AM »
When people try to make small talk with me even if I have on headphones. And it's pretty obvious that I have on headphones and am listening to something. Some of them have even commented on something to that effect, e.g. "wow, that's a really small mp3 player!" It's annoying when someone says something to me without even trying to get my attention first (to let me know that they want to say something), so I don't hear them at first, so I have to take off my headphones and say, "What was that?" and they repeat themselves, and it's always some banal observation or comment about the weather (not literally the weather, but about as important). Gee, thanks for interrupting me to tell me something completely pointless.

Really, I don't know why people feel compelled to chit chat just because we're on the elevator together, which is where it happens the most. Ten seconds of silence won't kill you, I promise.

I like to call those people the logorrhea people. They literally can't stand silence ever, so they have to say random stuff in order to fill the silence. I've been related to those people.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13179 on: September 20, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »
When I buy something, and the next day, its significantly cheaper. I posted in the "embarassed I spend money on that" thread about my drying rack. Don't you know, its now a good $20 cheaper before the coupon I used! But I looked at the store's policy, and it looks like they DO do price adjustments, so even though I haven't gotten it yet, I'm going to call and ask them to do that. If for some reason they can't or won't, I'll just order another and return the first.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #13180 on: September 20, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »

He's currently at the other end of the world, on holiday with two of his best friends, in a country I used to live in more than 10 years ago.

My father expected the places he had visited in the US to still be the same as the last time he visited. Sure, some things don't change but that was over 55 years ago! That led to some interesting planning discussions...

Carotte

« Reply #13181 on: September 20, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »

My father expected the places he had visited in the US to still be the same as the last time he visited. Sure, some things don't change but that was over 55 years ago! That led to some interesting planning discussions...

Oh hey, I guess you're in a pretty good position to understand what I'm saying since he's in Rio de Janeiro :).
So first there is all that has changed, plus the fact that I was under 14 and couldn't go out alone, and whatever I visited was on a 4 year span so I have no memory of that.

audhs

« Reply #13182 on: September 20, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »
Being picky about unimportant details and making other people miserable as a result of your own pecadillos: Edition: My wedding.

Major fight ensued. She also had a particular style in mind for my gown that was not going to happen. So another fight ensued, "But that's the only REAL wedding gown style!" Yaddayaddayadda. I went to Another Store and bought the gown I wanted, mostly with my own money. Cue my mother's negative comments for MONTHS about, "I can't believe you didn't go to Borgias! I got my mother of the bride gown there! What will people think if you don't get your gown there?" To which at one point, I retorted, "That YOU are cheap?"

I guess the guests at my wedding were all just appalled that the dress my mom wore as her MOB dress was a dress that belonged to me.  ;D ;D

Off topic but this amuses me the whole idea that everyone actually cares where someone got their dress or that they are designer.   I remember watching one of those help people out of debt shows that had a woman on who was adament that she needed to buy designer purses that she didn't like non designer ones and everyone would know that they we're knock offs.  So they tested her by showing her an assortment of purses and asking which were designer and which weren't. She couldn't tell, just by looking.

I'm not saying it's bad to like designer things (or expensive things) just trying to justify wanting them by what others think or what you assume others think. Buy it because you love it. Or like it  no matter where you got it or who made it.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13183 on: September 20, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »
A guy at my job shaved off his beard recently. So now he looks just like Naveen Andrews. How am I supposed to get any work done under these conditions?   8)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13184 on: September 20, 2013, 08:00:48 PM »
You have my sympathies.