Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1738514 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13200 on: September 22, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »
Sizing of shirts.  I bought a tshirt at Hot Topic, and knowing they run small I bought an x-large and then upon getting it home I held it up and it still looks like a junior's medium by most other store's standards. I'm pondering taking it back and seeing if I can exchange it for a bigger shirt.

That's odd...I have never had that experience there even when I worked there.  I wonder if it was just a mislabeled shirt.  Are you sure you didn't get a youth xl?

Well I did try it on and it's not as small as it looked so I will keep it but I dunno, their clothing seems to run small.  I mean normally in another store, in an adult size I'd typically buy a large, but in Hot Topic I tend to buy a size up than I'd normally buy, to be on the safe side. 

And as for buying stuff for kids and brand new vs hand me downs, (and I'm sure I've shared this before) my husband has a half cousin with a son a couple months older than our eldest child so for a while we were getting hand me downs, or as my middle son used to call them, "Pass-me-downs."  Once we found some really nice, barely worn shoes in those bags, as though N had worn them only enough to try them on.

Second piratechild loved these shoes and had tossed the other shoes he had in the trash (unbeknownst to me).  Well at that time I was still speaking to my folks and they came over to take the boys to their house.  Middle piratechild came down the stairs in the pass me downs and proudly announced that's what they were.

My dad asked where were the shoes he and my mother had bought the boys and piratechild says "Oh, I threw them away, cause I like these better."   Well he started saying "Those shoes cost $60!" I misunderstood, thought he meant they spent $60 on two pairs of shoes, nope they spent $60 for each pair.  :o

I don't even spend that much on MY shoes and my feet have stopped growing!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13201 on: September 22, 2013, 10:19:35 PM »
My former co worker and his gf were having a baby one year almost to the day after my DD was born.  They didn't know the gender of the baby yet when I offered them bags of clothes from my DD.  My DD had a lot of new stuff when she was born, but I also shop twice a year at a HUGE consignment sale they have in my town (and most of the stuff is brand name and looks barely worn) and my friend has a DD one year older than mine so I have her hand me downs (altho she gives me stuff that should go into the rag bag sometimes).  His gf looks at me like a offered them flaming dog poo and said in a haughty tone "My child will NEVER wear hand me downs.  Only new clothes will do".  I said fine and my sisters co worker gladly took the clothes for her new grand daughter.  Well they had a son, but a year later she got pregnant again.  They were really struggling (champagne tastes on a kool aid budget) and she came crawling to me.  I said "Sorry, found someone to take everything" and she got mad!

Your co-workers girlfriend sounds like the infamous Victoria from Maury Povich's show. NSFW due to her scrabble life comments:
http://youtu.be/ofYdApYn5O8

Cherry91

« Reply #13202 on: September 23, 2013, 04:59:31 AM »
There's one phrase that strikes fear into my heart like no other:

"How old do you think I am?" or variations on it

I don't know why, but I am truly awful at guessing people's ages - the one plus is that I almost always guess on the younger side of things. Therefore I hate this question like no other, because there's so much potential to offend.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13203 on: September 23, 2013, 06:53:48 AM »

I don't know why, but I am truly awful at guessing people's ages - the one plus is that I almost always guess on the younger side of things. Therefore I hate this question like no other, because there's so much potential to offend.

The other ones are "How much do you think I weigh?" or "Does this make my butt look big?"
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

emwithme

« Reply #13204 on: September 23, 2013, 07:37:33 AM »

The other ones are "How much do you think I weigh?" or "Does this make my butt look big?"

I once had a boyfriend who, when asked this question (I was semi-joking) said (in the perfect, light, tone) "Nah, it detracts from your fat thighs" (I do have fat thighs, even when I was skinny...it's a genetics thing.  I'm fine with them - apart from when they wear through the seams on all three of my pairs of jeans in rapid succession).

I told this to my husband (can't remember the reason, but it came up).  He said that ex was wrong.  That dress *did* make my butt look big.  But that was OK, because he liked big butts!  He got a swat with a tea-towel!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13205 on: September 23, 2013, 07:47:10 AM »

I once had a boyfriend who, when asked this question (I was semi-joking) said (in the perfect, light, tone) "Nah, it detracts from your fat thighs" (I do have fat thighs, even when I was skinny...it's a genetics thing.  I'm fine with them - apart from when they wear through the seams on all three of my pairs of jeans in rapid succession).

I told this to my husband (can't remember the reason, but it came up).  He said that ex was wrong.  That dress *did* make my butt look big.  But that was OK, because he liked big butts!  He got a swat with a tea-towel!

My DH answered a friend of mine when she asked the butt question of me in her new pair of pants, "No, your butt makes your butt look big."  :P  I thought she was going to hurt him.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #13206 on: September 23, 2013, 08:52:44 AM »
It's a little tiny day-to-day thing that drives me completely bonkers.

Baby Wolverine's bottles.

URGH! Is it so hard to pull the teats all the way through the collars, Husband? He washes, sterilises and reassembles the bottles, but he only pulls the teats through to the first 'pop', meaning they're not in right. Which I don't notice until I've filled them up, screwed the lid on and started to shake them - when formula comes out of the gap between teat and collar and sprays all over me, the kitchen and (usually) one of the cats.

I'm almost certain he does it on purpose so that he can get out of the bottle-washing but if he thinks that's going to work he's got another thing coming. I may well change the brand of bottle we use just so that he's got no excuses as to why he can't reassemble them correctly.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

o_gal

« Reply #13207 on: September 23, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »
But that was OK, because he liked big butts!  He got a swat with a tea-towel!

But, you know, he could not lie.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13208 on: September 23, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »
He could not deny.  >:D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13209 on: September 23, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »

For potential pitfalls, there's always the one I was asked by a sales clerk ringing up my purchase - "What ethnicity do you think I am?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13210 on: September 23, 2013, 09:26:50 AM »
One of my friends and his wife are expecting, and I have already bought my shower gift for him. However, baby fever by proxy has me going into the baby section of every department store just to look.

This baby will have clothes to last him until he is in kindergarten the way I am going!

daen

« Reply #13211 on: September 23, 2013, 10:41:36 AM »

For potential pitfalls, there's always the one I was asked by a sales clerk ringing up my purchase - "What ethnicity do you think I am?"

"My guess would be 'human.' "

*takes purchases and walks away*

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13212 on: September 23, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »

"Somewhere between 16 and 187.  Really, I'm truly  awful at guessing people's ages."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #13213 on: September 23, 2013, 11:53:49 AM »

"Somewhere between 16 and 187.  Really, I'm truly  awful at guessing people's ages."

A fail I'll tell on myself: The theater I work at has 3 assistant managers and 1 general manager. I knew one of the assistant managers was 25, so I assumed GM was 30 or so. I said to aforementioned assistant manager, "Well, GM is about 30, right?" He said, "No! She's 22!"

I was both impressed someone my age is a GM, and mortified that I'd assumed my GM was 8+ years older than she actually was. Fortunately, she was not around to hear that conversation and AM 1 didn't tell her.  :-[
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13214 on: September 23, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »
This line from an article about stars who never got married  ::)

"Cameron Diaz seems to always be dating someone, but she's never been married."
http://www.newser.com/story/174605/7-stars-who-never-got-married.html