Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1648417 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13215 on: September 23, 2013, 03:06:40 PM »
For potential pitfalls, there's always the one I was asked by a sales clerk ringing up my purchase - "What ethnicity do you think I am?"

"My guess would be 'human.' "

*takes purchases and walks away*

Unfortunately, she had stopped the process of ringing me in, to rant to me and a coworker about someone who had thought she was of a different ethnicity than she was. And even more unfortunately, the best guess I could make put her squarely in the middle of some heavy political squabblings. I made a vague guess that would cover about 2000 square miles, and bolted.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13216 on: September 23, 2013, 04:08:38 PM »
"Women are supposed to be curvy and round!"  ::)  Now there is a bit of roundness here since I've put on a bit of weight but I will never be curvy.  I have a small chest, never had a defined waist and my hips aren't much wider than they were when I was a teen. 

And I know this is typically said by people who are tired of getting criticized for not having a supermodel's figure and I can understand that.  The last 4 years of not having to hear "Big boned is a nice way of saying someone is fat!" have been pleasant. But ya know, those of us who aren't curvy can't help how we're built any more than people who are.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

poundcake

« Reply #13217 on: September 23, 2013, 05:27:15 PM »
This line from an article about stars who never got married  ::)

"Cameron Diaz seems to always be dating someone, but she's never been married."
http://www.newser.com/story/174605/7-stars-who-never-got-married.html

Ugh, that makes me pissy, too.

Something that bothers me, even though it's none of my business, is people who feed (or overfeed) their pets human food. I knew someone who would cook hot dogs with cheese every night for their little rat dog, who was so fat he was more than double the weight of a dog his size. Or order cheeseburgers for their dog at the fast food place. Or people who let their cats up on the table and eat from their dinner plate while their eating. Pets shouldn't eat people food!

Shalamar

« Reply #13218 on: September 23, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »
My parents have always fed their cats people food, including whatever roast they were having for Sunday dinner, bacon, scrambled eggs, ice cream ... you name it.   Yeesh.   I tried to tell them it was a bad idea; their response was "But she LOVES it!"   Yeah, well, my kids would've loved meals consisting of nothing but candy and chocolate when they were little, but I didn't give it to them.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13219 on: September 23, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »

Something that bothers me, even though it's none of my business, is people who feed (or overfeed) their pets human food. I knew someone who would cook hot dogs with cheese every night for their little rat dog, who was so fat he was more than double the weight of a dog his size. Or order cheeseburgers for their dog at the fast food place. Or people who let their cats up on the table and eat from their dinner plate while their eating. Pets shouldn't eat people food!

That makes me nuts too.  I once knew this really fat dachsund mix who frequently got fed people food and the poor thing was terribly overweight.  I mean I'm amazed she lasted as long as she did, as she was already an older dog when I met her but she lived for about 4 years more, I think. 

One of our cats would eat people food if we let him.  Which we don't. Well most of us, that is.  The littlest one will drop food from his seat for the kitty but we try to get it before he can eat it.  Though in all truth most times he just takes a lick or two and he's done.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Tea Drinker

« Reply #13220 on: September 23, 2013, 09:14:58 PM »

That makes me nuts too.  I once knew this really fat dachsund mix who frequently got fed people food and the poor thing was terribly overweight.  I mean I'm amazed she lasted as long as she did, as she was already an older dog when I met her but she lived for about 4 years more, I think. 

One of our cats would eat people food if we let him.  Which we don't. Well most of us, that is.  The littlest one will drop food from his seat for the kitty but we try to get it before he can eat it.  Though in all truth most times he just takes a lick or two and he's done.

My theory--and the vet's--is that a little human food is okay for cats and dogs, with specific exceptions (no chocolate, for example). It's a matter of quantity. It won't do Julian any harm that he got a scrap of chicken while I was making soup, or that he generally gets a small nibble of something from us at dinner time. That doesn't mean our vet thinks he should get all the chicken or shrimp (or cream or broccoli or whatever else he likes) he can eat. But he's not supposed to get all the cat food he can eat, either. (Back to the "my kids would be happy to have ice cream for supper every night" point: I need to have vegetables and protein and things, not just ice cream, but it's fine to have ice cream as part of my diet, and for Julian to have a little bit of shrimp as part of his.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13221 on: September 23, 2013, 09:33:08 PM »
That makes sense.  Reminds me of the ol' Maury talk show that often had kids who were overweight because mommy just couldn't bear to tell pweshus that he couldn't have donuts for breakfast, McDonalds for lunch and pizza for dinner every single day.  And these kids weren't just a bit pudgy, they were dangerously obese.

Moderation's key for everyone...

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #13222 on: September 24, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
Parents supply the snacks for my DD's kindergarten class. Before school started, everyone received a handout with a snack schedule and a note that snacks needed to be nutritious, healthy, and individually wrapped. Because of the alphabet, we were the first snack bringers. DD and I searched Target for what I consider a fair amount of time to find something that kids would like, was healthy and nutritious, individually wrapped, would be moderately filling, be something most or all the kids would find acceptable, and affordable for 21 servings. We found several different things, and I stocked up on them so we have them in case we forget next time or are too busy.

Yesterday I found out that DD's snack was Oreos. Argh.

Carotte

« Reply #13223 on: September 24, 2013, 08:57:35 AM »
There's a minor up-wall that I counteracted today :)

I hate it when people invite you to their home (for a party or whatever) and don't give you the full info about door code or which building if there's more than one and that kind of stuff. You're then faced with the fact that you don't know how to get to them and have to call/text and cross your finger that the host will have his/her cellphone nearby and not too much music to hear it and what have you..
Well I'll be hosting the brother of a friend this week, he got a detailled walkthrough (two door codes and which building, what floor and what door (there's no number or name on them)) and since he's foreign the website where he can plug his point of departure and the address and get the best public transport route.
Take that unprepared hosters   8)

And I got a thank you for all this info  ;D

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #13224 on: September 24, 2013, 10:32:46 AM »
Not being able to find something that I KNOW is there! Somewhere!

Seriously, where did the thread about commercials you hate go? I'm probably looking in the wrong folders, I just know it... :-\
"Set aphasia to stun!"

squeakers

« Reply #13225 on: September 24, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »

Seriously, where did the thread about commercials you hate go? I'm probably looking in the wrong folders, I just know it... :-\

Entertainment and News: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=31313.0
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #13226 on: September 24, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »

Entertainment and News: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=31313.0

Yaaaay~! Thank you squeakers!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

mmswm

« Reply #13227 on: September 24, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »
Stupid laws.  Or more accurately, good laws that aren't fully thought out and have dire unintended consequences.  I don't feel comfortable sharing the details, but be assured that nobody in my life is in any trouble, but there is one little girl who's life is being turned upside down because of unintended consequences of one of those laws.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13228 on: September 24, 2013, 11:58:47 AM »
Why is it that people feel the need to warn me that semi-gloss is "shiny"?  It doesn't happen every time I go to a Home Depot but sometimes the paint folks feel the need to question my choice.

I don't think semi-gloss is really all that shiny and the main appeal is that it's easy to clean off.

mmswm

« Reply #13229 on: September 24, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »
A friend who worked for another home improvement store told me when I complained about the same thing that they get an inordinate amount of returns on semi-gloss because people are surprised that it's shiny.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)