Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1650153 times)

Carotte

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13410 on: October 09, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »
Not really 'up the wall' but really bothering me right now, I was at the dentist today (for the third day in a row! thank deity it's over!) and got a local anesthesia more than 3 hours ago and my bottom left jaw/chin is still numb. The left half of my tongue was still numb an hour ago but that got better, I can at least eat without worrying about chewing off my own tongue.
But the sensation on the rest is awfull. Combined with a charming tinnitus brought by a surprise ear infection and yeah, actually, my own body is driving me up the wall  ::)

And it's normal for the anesthesia to be effective for about 6 hours  :(

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #13411 on: October 09, 2013, 01:58:43 PM »
^ Oh dear, I remember once chewing a hole in the mucous membrane inside my cheek as a child due to the numbing agent making me feel an itching sensation. The resulting mouth ulcer took almost a month to fully heal and it was painful!

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13412 on: October 09, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »
When my efforts to change things at work, to make things run more effiiently, are thwarted or I'm told no, we can't we've ALWAYS done things that way.

We do a lot of filings. 10+ years ago, and more, we had to actually bring them to the govt agency to be hand-filed, get a stamped copy, and then our DC office had to send it back up to us, where we'd file a paper copy in a binder. 

For the last 8+ years, the agency has had an electronic filing system, which prett much you must use, with a couple of exceptions. So you go there, fill out the page, attach your file, hit file, and then get a confirmation. I still have to print out the confirm, and put a paper copy, with that, in a binder. In additional to adding the electronic copy to our research database.

I have tried (unsuccessfully I might add) numerous times to get the powers that be to simply let me pdf the confirm, and attach it to the doc, and enter in the dbase. Nope, no can do, we might NEEEED the paper version. never mind you can print it out.

So I've simply stopped doing it, except for the few filings we can't file electronically, and have them all in a pile, in my desk drawer. No one ever looks at them,; if someone needs something they are posted on the web, or they ask me or my boss. so as long as they are somewhere accessible to everyone, no issue.

mmswm

« Reply #13414 on: October 09, 2013, 04:24:16 PM »
My mother.  Again.

Most of my friends are men.  I can count on one hand the number of female friends I have, but I have dozens of male friends.  In my mother's mind every one of these men is potential date material. 

So, last night one of those male friends stopped by to visit for a few hours on the way to the airport (he lives three hours south of me, the airport is an hour north).  You know where this is going, right?  UGH.  No mom, I don't want to date him.  Besides, even if I did, there's no way I'm moving to Key West before my kids are grown and there's no way he's moving to the mainland, so it'll never happen, even if we were attracted to each other that way.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #13415 on: October 09, 2013, 04:47:07 PM »
I want DIS:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/717-Poplar-Ave-Wenonah-NJ-08090/38762122_zpid/

Nice! I think friends of mine bought a house in Wenonah. It's either in or near it. They have a river that runs through their property. It's really nice.

I think I want to live where Luci is :)

For once ... I don't think there is anything driving me up a wall. What an odd sensation.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #13416 on: October 09, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
When my efforts to change things at work, to make things run more effiiently, are thwarted or I'm told no, we can't we've ALWAYS done things that way.

We do a lot of filings. 10+ years ago, and more, we had to actually bring them to the govt agency to be hand-filed, get a stamped copy, and then our DC office had to send it back up to us, where we'd file a paper copy in a binder. 

For the last 8+ years, the agency has had an electronic filing system, which prett much you must use, with a couple of exceptions. So you go there, fill out the page, attach your file, hit file, and then get a confirmation. I still have to print out the confirm, and put a paper copy, with that, in a binder. In additional to adding the electronic copy to our research database.

I have tried (unsuccessfully I might add) numerous times to get the powers that be to simply let me pdf the confirm, and attach it to the doc, and enter in the dbase. Nope, no can do, we might NEEEED the paper version. never mind you can print it out.

So I've simply stopped doing it, except for the few filings we can't file electronically, and have them all in a pile, in my desk drawer. No one ever looks at them,; if someone needs something they are posted on the web, or they ask me or my boss. so as long as they are somewhere accessible to everyone, no issue.

I feel your pain. I was trying something similar in my office a few years ago, with the same results. I was dealing with people who printed out not just documents for review, but each and every email. I don't...I just...Ican't... ???
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13417 on: October 09, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »
Not really 'up the wall' but really bothering me right now, I was at the dentist today (for the third day in a row! thank deity it's over!) and got a local anesthesia more than 3 hours ago and my bottom left jaw/chin is still numb. The left half of my tongue was still numb an hour ago but that got better, I can at least eat without worrying about chewing off my own tongue.
But the sensation on the rest is awfull. Combined with a charming tinnitus brought by a surprise ear infection and yeah, actually, my own body is driving me up the wall  ::)

Some people are more sensitive than others.  I typically stay numb 8-10 hours after having just one injection at the dentist.  I have the same problem with the eye drops that dilate your eyes...I've stayed dilated more than 12 hours after having one drop in each eye. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Snooks

« Reply #13418 on: October 09, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »

I normally try to go to sleep after dental anesthetic, it stops me getting annoyed by the fact I can't feel my mouth and by the time I wake up I've normally got about 90% of the feeling back.  I also try to drink lots of water (using a straw) to make sure I'm well hydrated, that sometimes helps.

Carotte

« Reply #13419 on: October 09, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »

Some people are more sensitive than others.  I typically stay numb 8-10 hours after having just one injection at the dentist.  I have the same problem with the eye drops that dilate your eyes...I've stayed dilated more than 12 hours after having one drop in each eye.

Whow, I did have it easy!
From the start actually, I should count myself lucky, and I will.
I didn't go to the dentist for a good 4 years ( :-[ ) and only had two little cavities that got themselves lodged behind preexisting fillings. So it was more of a bother (take out filling, ground cavity away, put new filling) than a free standing cavity but it got caught early enough.
Now I'll just hope it won't happen again or I'll have more filling than tooth  ::)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13420 on: October 09, 2013, 06:31:13 PM »
Speaking of retirement, I sometimes get the idea my idea of retirement is different from DH's. 

Mine: doing various crafts, traveling, spending time with our kids when they can visit and grandchildren, if any, and probably doing church stuff here and there.  Not having to clean my house every single day. Having less dishes to do of a daily basis, cleaning the house and having it stay clean. (unless aforementioned possible grandkids visit, of course)

His: Buying a bunch of land and doing the farming thing with a bunch of animals.  Yeah, we'll see how much he feels like actually doing that in about 30 years or more.   Sure I don't mind getting up in the morning, but I also like being able to sip my coffee slowly, perhaps read a bit, slowly wake up, and the thought of hauling what will be my wrinkled white tuckas out at the crassack of dawn in January doesn't appeal to me.

It would be one thing if we've been doing that all our lives, but starting such a venture when we're retired sounds like a poor idea.

I love to bake.  I've had coworkers tell me I should quit my job and open a bakeshop.  Why on earth would I want to do that?  I'd have to get up at sparrowfart to start the baking to be ready for opening; I'd have to deal with customers (*shudder*); I'd have to work 6 or 7 days a week and I'd be on my feet most of the day.  Sounds like loads of fun!  NOT!

(Yes, I know most customers are perfectly lovely.  It's the 1% that are absolute monsters that I just wouldn't want to deal with.)

So hopefully, hubby changes his mind.  A nice piece of property where you could have a small chicken coop and a decent sized garden?  Great.  Several acres of crops and several animals, not so much.

I can handle that much.  A chicken coop and garden (someone hired to weed cause I hate doing that) is fine with me, but like you said, a huge farm with several animals, no thanks!

Maybe suggest to your husband that on his next vacation, he get up every day at 5 a.m. and go for a nice walk, while you sleep in, maybe do dishes or laundry if the noise wouldn't wake you, and then once you wake up he can start on the noisier chores. Because that's the shape of retirement he's talking about, and it might be worth his getting an idea of what he's looking at. It might also make the point that just because he wants to spend his retirement years milking, gathering eggs, cleaning pens, plowing, etc. doesn't mean you intend to.

Considering the man wouldn't wake up before the crassack of dawn to fish on a day off because "I get up before dawn every day of the week, I'm not doing it on my day off, too" I have a feeling he's not going to enjoy doing it once he's retired and you can bet your sweet bippy I'm not doing it either!!

And oh brother, mmswm, that would make me nuts!  I actually had a conversation with my bff not too long ago and she said that in her day girls just didn't really go around with boys unless there was a physical attraction and you just didn't really have so many women having casual platonic male friends.  I guess that may be where your mom's coming from, not that it makes it less irritating, I'm sure.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #13421 on: October 10, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »
That awkward moment when some troll says your drawings all look like The Toxic Avenger.  >:(

mmswm

« Reply #13422 on: October 10, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »
And oh brother, mmswm, that would make me nuts!  I actually had a conversation with my bff not too long ago and she said that in her day girls just didn't really go around with boys unless there was a physical attraction and you just didn't really have so many women having casual platonic male friends.  I guess that may be where your mom's coming from, not that it makes it less irritating, I'm sure.

Yeah, maybe.  I guess I'm just used to my father's side of the family and their attitudes towards mixed gender friendships, so my mother's attitude is annoying.  In my father's family, people do with their lives what they want, and to ehell with gender stereotypes.  My grandmother was an airplane mechanic in the US Army Air Corps (when it was still called that) stationed in North Africa in WWII.  My father played the flute in the marching band.  I'm a mathematician.  My son is a ballet dancer.  We Don't. Do. Gender typing. Naturally, if you're a female in a male dominated field you're going to know more men than women, and the opposite for men in a female dominated field. You would think that after being married to my father for nearly 50 years, she'd have figured some of this out.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13423 on: October 10, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
You would think, but I've found some folks are openminded about a lot of things, but then there's always that one or two mindsets that are very hard to shake. 

My bff did basketball when it wasn't really open to girls and took shop in the days when all girls did home ec and boys took shop and her folks encouraged her so it was similar but she said the platonic opposite gender friendships were just so alien.

Now she has platonic male friends of course, but growing up? Nope.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13424 on: October 10, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
That awkward moment when some troll says your drawings all look like The Toxic Avenger.  >:(

That troll seriously needs glasses.  I've seen the drawings you've posted here.  They're amazing!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario