Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1732752 times)

Snooks

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13455 on: October 14, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »
People who complain about things without asking/checking facts.  So far today I've heard people complain that they're not allowed their leave but haven't put in a single request on the basis "it'll get turned down", same goes for training requests.

mmswm

« Reply #13456 on: October 14, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
I've decided to be a witch on Halloween from here on out.  I'll add various accessories from one year to the next, but with a good cape and hat, a lot can be done. :)

And it continues...  ;)

About 5 years ago I made a good, solid cloak (full, floor length, hand trimmed with black lace over green trim) and purchased a good quality hat.  Every year I wear those over various dress/stocking combinations and add whatever accessories I feel like.

This is getting scary. ;)

I posted a picture on the costume thread.  You can't see much of the detail work though. :(
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13457 on: October 14, 2013, 02:53:54 PM »
There's a whole tumblr dedicated to sexist Halloween costumes - and they're enough to make your eyebrows go on permanent vacation near your hairline.
This is why I prefer to cosplay rather than costume for Halloween (not that it gets much traction here in Australia, but what can you do). It's easier to match a costume from a favourite character of a TV show (plaid, good jeans, heavy boots and a band t-shirt = hello Mr/Ms Sam Winchester) than to try and find a 'costume' designed for a) a woman above 120lbs and b) consisting of more than three scraps of fabric and some fishnets.
Honestly.
It's Halloween, which is at the end of OCTOBER. I'm pretty sure a lot of the U.S. is getting fairly chilly by that time of year...
There may even be snow on the ground in some of the northern states, or places with high elevation like the mountain village where I grew up.  I never had a costume as a kid, just a 10-cent plastic mask.  No point to a costume when your mother would make you wear a coat over it!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

mmswm

« Reply #13458 on: October 14, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
There's a whole tumblr dedicated to sexist Halloween costumes - and they're enough to make your eyebrows go on permanent vacation near your hairline.
This is why I prefer to cosplay rather than costume for Halloween (not that it gets much traction here in Australia, but what can you do). It's easier to match a costume from a favourite character of a TV show (plaid, good jeans, heavy boots and a band t-shirt = hello Mr/Ms Sam Winchester) than to try and find a 'costume' designed for a) a woman above 120lbs and b) consisting of more than three scraps of fabric and some fishnets.
Honestly.
It's Halloween, which is at the end of OCTOBER. I'm pretty sure a lot of the U.S. is getting fairly chilly by that time of year...
There may even be snow on the ground in some of the northern states, or places with high elevation like the mountain village where I grew up.  I never had a costume as a kid, just a 10-cent plastic mask.  No point to a costume when your mother would make you wear a coat over it!

When I lived in North Dakota, it was a 50/50 chance that the kids would have to wear snow boots to go trick or treating.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

nuit93

« Reply #13459 on: October 14, 2013, 03:57:57 PM »
Honestly.

When I lived in North Dakota, it was a 50/50 chance that the kids would have to wear snow boots to go trick or treating.

In the PNW, costumes are usually worn under a raincoat :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13460 on: October 14, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »
It is a standard joke that you know you are Canadian when your Hallowe'en costume was designed to fit over a snowsuit.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13461 on: October 14, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »
Somewhere I have a picture of a friend and I with heavy jackets, snow pants, boots, hats and gloves on...and our faces painted for our "costume".  I think I'm also wearing bunny ears.  Halloween can be a great holiday if it's not freezing, or snowing, or sleeting.   

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13462 on: October 14, 2013, 08:28:58 PM »
True.  Two years ago it snowed on Halloween so I didn't go out.  That also ended up being the only snow we had!

jilly

« Reply #13463 on: October 15, 2013, 03:11:17 AM »
Right now my DH. Last night I made the Christmas cake, the oven is not good at regulating at low temps and is often cooler than you expect so after 4 hours of baking the cake wasn't quite done  ::) I gave up, left my DH to take the cake out when done and went to bed. I got up this morning to find he had put it in an air tight 'tin' while still hot having not removed all the baking parchment. It's still warm and a bit damp! He also managed to make a hole 1 inch across in the top of the cake while checking to see if it was done!!!! I spent ages on this cake, it took a lot of effort to mix as it nearly filled my biggest mixing bowl and he does that to it!!!(It's a 5 egg cake mix that just about coats the fruit before you bake it. it filled my normal cake pan and 4 small ones and 5 cupcake size ones!)

How does he expect me to ice a cake with a 1 inch hole in the top??? What did he use to check it was done a spoon and inspection lamp???

Leafy

« Reply #13464 on: October 15, 2013, 10:05:39 AM »
When a cafe places my serviette underneath my food. It happened yesterday with my fruit toast (which also arrived already buttered) and it was greasy from the butter. How am I supposed to clean my hands and mouth with a serviette with grease spots on it? Usually this only happens with cake or a slice which is less problematic but still annoying.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13465 on: October 15, 2013, 12:53:44 PM »
I probably said this years ago, but when toast is pre-buttered.  I don't put a lot of butter on toast (think one piece for both halves of a toasted bagel) so the drenching of toast or other bread makes me want to gag.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13466 on: October 15, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »
Slideshows on web sites.  If it's more than five pages, I am *not* clicking through.  (I once saw a "top places to eat in all fifty states" that was a FIFTY PAGE slideshow.)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13467 on: October 15, 2013, 05:24:07 PM »
The 6th season of Gilmore Girls has stacked discs.  Or layered, techically.  So if you watch the 2nd, 4th and 6th discs and want to put them away, you have to take the 1st, 3rd and 5th discs up to put the one you're watching away.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #13468 on: October 16, 2013, 05:38:03 AM »
The roundabout off sky blue way in Coventry (uk) it drives me bonkers.
People seem unable to follow the lines and frequently cut me up.

][URL=http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/raven_8302/media/970902_519861261406999_1381764160_n.jpg.html][/url]

(I hope the image worked. first attempt at doing it)

People in the blue lane cut in to the red lane and then back in to the blue lane and if the red lane are not supper vigilant it means accidents are common. The curve of the road is quite sharp but the road markings are clear.  The main issue is if there is a car in the yellow lane then the red lane car has no ware to go.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13469 on: October 16, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »
I have a friend (P) that is about to become a father and is very excited! We have known each other for 5 years and worked very closely for 2 of them. I offered to "host" the baby shower with the department staff. All hosting entails in this case is letting everyone know, taking care of refreshments and decorations, and being there during the whole event from setup to cleanup.

P has an assistant (H) who declared she was hosting. Fine with me, I stepped back. H sends out an email suggesting a date, doesn't get a response right away and has a PA meltdown. I reassure her and suggest she send something one month in advance, not 4. Plans are changing, then finally it is decided that the shower will occur at a restaurant after the meeting that day. H goes on vacation. I hear nothing until yesterday. I ask another friend to pick up balloons to bring, since as far as I know I am the only one bringing anything (decorated cupcakes).

H contacts me

H: What decorations are you bringing?
Me: I am not bringing any decorations. Friend is bringing balloons.
H: Oh, I thought you bought decorations.
Me: No, I am only taking care of the cupcakes.
H: Oh, sends  :(   ( ::) )
Me: Anyway, at the restaurant, it is only feasible to bring balloons and a cake. Maybe some candy party favors, if you want to (basically saying I am not spending any more than I already have).
H: (Changes subject) Did you buy a greeting card? For everyone to sign?
Me:  ??? No, since we will all be there. I don't think it is necessary.

So apparently, now I am hosting. I made the reservations, arranged balloons to be brought and am making the cupcakes and bringing them.

Later, I found out H sent an extremely PA email to the senior staff in my department saying that since no one was interested in going in for a gift card, she wasn't going to get one. There was never any communication concerning chipping in for a gift card prior to that email.

I can't wait for my vacation!