Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1538596 times)

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13500 on: October 21, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »
I mentioned this in the Halloween thread and did not want to hijack it. Here goes...

I've come to detest the whole "one person does not like this, thus you can't do it anymore" mindset I see everywhere. It's very akin to someone who is extremely religious trying to tell an entire neighborhood that they can't put out Halloween decorations or trick-or-treat. Or how about nonChristians trying to remove or destroy Nativity scenes? Same thing.

Why can't we live and let live?

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I don’t like the color..."

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #13501 on: October 21, 2013, 08:04:23 PM »
*sigh*

My mother just had me seriously considering scaling a wall.

It's supposed to get below freezing tonight (snow! :'() and she'd asked Dad to go unscrew the hoses from their spigots while it was still warm enough that they weren't frozen. As he's rather prone to doing, he put it off, and so I offered to go do it for her as it really needs to be done.

"No, let your father do it, he said he was going to."

Yes, that he did, but if it doesn't get done tonight and the hoses freeze while still attached...

"But it's too cold out there! You'll hurt your hands because it's so cold and they're screwed on so tight!"

...And if it's not done NOW it's just going to be put off and the bloody things will freeze!

"Oh fine, go do it then, but it's SO COLD out there!"

Actually, no, it wasn't all that cold - I didn't even need a coat - and the hoses weren't attached anywhere near as tightly as she was making it out to be. To which she only said "Oh." and went back to watching videos.

Argh. *rests head on desk* Such a little thing, seriously, but argh.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13502 on: October 21, 2013, 08:17:06 PM »
When my daughter Peanut hangs around her friends, their parents always comment about how wonderful it is to have Peanut around because she's so polite and respectful and she makes their children behave better.

So why is it that when we bring her home from hanging around with her friends, she's demanding and obnoxious?  Sometimes I wonder if I accidentally left my polite, respectful child at her friend's house and brought back the wrong kid.

I get the same thing.  One woman who used to have them over a bit in our old neighborhood would praise their manners and the fact that they'd throw things away, take their shoes off without asking and put toys away when they were done without being asked.

And then at home I practically have to plead on my knees to get them to do what they're told. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13503 on: October 21, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »
*sigh*

It's supposed to get below freezing tonight (snow! :'() and she'd asked Dad to go unscrew the hoses from their spigots while it was still warm enough that they weren't frozen. As he's rather prone to doing, he put it off, and so I offered to go do it for her as it really needs to be done.

Yes, that he did, but if it doesn't get done tonight and the hoses freeze while still attached...

"But it's too cold out there! You'll hurt your hands because it's so cold and they're screwed on so tight!"

...And if it's not done NOW it's just going to be put off and the bloody things will freeze!

Actually, no, it wasn't all that cold - I didn't even need a coat - and the hoses weren't attached anywhere near as tightly as she was making it out to be. To which she only said "Oh." and went back to watching videos.

Thanks for the reminder!  I'd completely forgotten about my hose attached in the back.  Must shut off the valve and disconnect it tomorrow.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #13504 on: October 21, 2013, 10:30:27 PM »
*sigh*

Thanks for the reminder!  I'd completely forgotten about my hose attached in the back.  Must shut off the valve and disconnect it tomorrow.

You're welcome! We'd have unhooked ours sooner, but we keep forgetting too.  :-[
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #13505 on: October 22, 2013, 05:51:50 AM »
I seem to have developed the sleeping patterns of a new born. I can barley keep my eyes open in the day but hit 9pm and I'm A.W.A.K.E!! I  stay that way till 3 or 4 am (last night was 5.30  :-\) then i have to get up at 7.30am with Baby Girl.

I am trying really hard not to nap and i don't drink caffeine anyway. It's driving me mad. I can't think, can't focus and have no energy for anything.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #13506 on: October 22, 2013, 07:09:40 AM »
This is fairly minor, but I hate it when my cross stitch thread tangles while I'm working.  I have to stop what I'm doing, remove the needle from the thread, use the point to fiddle with the knot, and occasionally cut the thread on either side of the knot because it's is too tight. 

And again, water on the sink.  I'm going to start putting the toothpaste tube under the vanity to see if my dad gets the hint.  (Well, no I won't.  It's passive aggressive, and it won't work anyway.  But it's tempting.)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13507 on: October 22, 2013, 07:14:57 AM »
This is fairly minor, but I hate it when my cross stitch thread tangles while I'm working.  I have to stop what I'm doing, remove the needle from the thread, use the point to fiddle with the knot, and occasionally cut the thread on either side of the knot because it's is too tight. 

And again, water on the sink.  I'm going to start putting the toothpaste tube under the vanity to see if my dad gets the hint.  (Well, no I won't.  It's passive aggressive, and it won't work anyway.  But it's tempting.)

What kind of floss are you using? I've sworn off kits because they always seem to use the cheaper brands that knot easily and stick with DMC though sometimes that will knot too but not as often.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #13508 on: October 22, 2013, 07:18:21 AM »
It's a kit.  ;D  I've heard that DMC is pretty good, though.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13509 on: October 22, 2013, 07:22:53 AM »
Well I'm working on a kit too, I'll admit. :) It's the last one I'll do though.  I did however find a website that provides a chart so you can see which DMC colors match the kit colors so you can use them instead and when I needed more thread I just went and bought the DMC equivalent.

http://www.cyberstitchers.com/stitching_tools/floss_conversion_charts

Redsoil

« Reply #13510 on: October 22, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »
I have a cold.  I'm OVER it!  This is the THIRD cold I've had in a row, with only brief respite in between.  Aargh!

Oh, and I'm totally with someone a page or so back who dislikes skinny jeans.  When are they going to replace all the silly things with proper jeans?  I want my bootleg jeans back!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13511 on: October 22, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »
I love bootcut! I've also had it to here with pants that fit fine right out of the wash and then as they're worn I have to keep tugging them back up to my waistline.

mmswm

« Reply #13512 on: October 22, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »
Pirate, I know this is shocking, but I totally agree with you on all counts regarding jeans.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13513 on: October 22, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
Pirate, I know this is shocking, but I totally agree with you on all counts regarding jeans.

Oh, absolutely! Shocked as ever! ;)

Betelnut

« Reply #13514 on: October 22, 2013, 09:46:32 AM »
When my daughter Peanut hangs around her friends, their parents always comment about how wonderful it is to have Peanut around because she's so polite and respectful and she makes their children behave better.

So why is it that when we bring her home from hanging around with her friends, she's demanding and obnoxious?  Sometimes I wonder if I accidentally left my polite, respectful child at her friend's house and brought back the wrong kid.

My daughter is the same.  People:  "She's so SWEET!"  Me:  "Thanks, er, I guess so!"
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently