Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1549393 times)

lilfox

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13590 on: October 28, 2013, 05:19:44 PM »
And it makes me darn near psychotic when she starts complaining about thing that don't even affect her (like the little picnic lunch I make before the girls' soccer games.  "That's too much work!"  Or the bread I like to bake. "That's too much work!"  Or my knitting projects. "All that work and you just got a little hat.")

That cracked me up.   ;D  Sorry, I know it must be annoying to hear but the phrasing amused me.  Next time you should post that "I'm so pleased, after an exhausting 20 hours of knitting <whew!> I made... this sock! Can't wait to spend next week making it a complete pair!"

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13591 on: October 28, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
It always amuses me when people act like those who need to exercise shouldn't go to a gym.

Amuses, is that the right word?  No, that's not right.  The word is "disgusts".

That reminds me of a story from my pre-professional past. 

A supervisor of mine who knew how to handle nasty customers was completely floored when she and a couple of other store employees went to a health club to investigate it and was insulted left, right, and sideways by the employee who gave them the tour.  They guy said things like "You girls use your faces as an excuse for the bad body" and other things that don't currently stand out in my mind.  She was so aghast she couldn't think of anything to say.  As those who were with her echoed her shock all I could think of was what I would have done which was to sort of yes him and ask the manager's name.  Whereupon I would have written to him/her immediately explaining why that gym wasn't going to get my business. And naming names.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13592 on: October 28, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »
I hate those "Your workout is our warmup" shirts. As someone who went from about 33% bodyfat to a decent athlete, I couldn't imagine wearing one, because I've been in the position of being the slowest/most easily-fatigued person in the room. There's just something so superior about them.  It's a moot point that there's always someone better than you and always someone worse than you, but I don't see the need to draw attention to it.

There are several shirts I've seen along those lines.  I can't stand any of them.  You might be a better athlete.  Good for you.  We've all got talents.  Yours is being athletic. Big deal. You're also a jerk.  It's people like you that make people like me hesitant to get out and walk on the streets for
fear of being laughed at while I try to improve myself.  I'm sorry, I'd rather be a fat nice person than a jerk who's skinny.

Obnoxious as they are, shirts like these are nothing new.  In the 1970s there was one that was supposed to be inspiring but was really awful.

'I upped my mileage.  Up yours'. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13593 on: October 28, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
People who allow their preteen daughters to dress in extremely tight and short (less than 1" below the assumed underwear line) dresses.

Women that wear micro mini-skirts to a formal dinner. Clubbing, yes! Elegant dinner, no! Worst part of it, I saw the same group an hour earlier in gorgeous dresses. They came to dinner in micro mini-skirts and tees.

mmswm

« Reply #13594 on: October 28, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
People who allow their preteen daughters to dress in extremely tight and short (less than 1" below the assumed underwear line) dresses.

Women that wear micro mini-skirts to a formal dinner. Clubbing, yes! Elegant dinner, no! Worst part of it, I saw the same group an hour earlier in gorgeous dresses. They came to dinner in micro mini-skirts and tees.

Both of these things drive me nuts as well.  As for the second part; yeah, I own some pretty short, tight, and low cut clothing. It's definitely for clubbing. It just boggles my mind when women wear those things other places, like formal events or, even worse, for work.  Unless, of course, they work at a club.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Bethczar

« Reply #13595 on: October 28, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
It always amuses me when people act like those who need to exercise shouldn't go to a gym.

On related lines, why are exercise clothes cut so small? I understand that you don't want them flying up when you exercise. But if I normally wear a 1X, why do I need a 2X or 3X in exercise gear?

I already know I'm overweight, I don't need to feel worse than I already do!

BarensMom

« Reply #13596 on: October 28, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »

On related lines, why are exercise clothes cut so small? I understand that you don't want them flying up when you exercise. But if I normally wear a 1X, why do I need a 2X or 3X in exercise gear?

Amen.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13597 on: October 28, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »

Amen.

And the fact that they don't make run of the mill sports bras in any kind of a decent size.  I can get a DD if I can hold my breath to fit a 38 band.  Which is considerably smaller than a normal 38 because I'm wearing a 40 DD right now in a regular bra.  I can't hope to do up a 38 DD in an UnderArmour sports bra!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Adelaide

« Reply #13598 on: October 28, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »

Amen.

A lot of clothing sizes run larger than the tag says. Formal wear and exercise gear usually doesn't. I find myself having to bump up a couple of sizes in exercise gear as well.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13599 on: October 28, 2013, 08:00:24 PM »

I really dislike people who will turn up their nose at someone who is overweight and make comments like "Someone needs exercise more than they need that candy bar!" But then they see that person running in the streets or at the gym and act disgusted that the person would dare show their face in a gym.

My own pet peeve.  Weather whiners.

Temps are in the range of 80's for highs? "It's too hoooooot and humid!"
Then during fall when temps are a seasonable 55 during the day and 30's at night? "It's too cold too soon! Winter's in a hurry to get here, we barely had a fall!" (never mind that is par for the course for fall)
Temps warm up a bit to where it's almost 70 during the day? "Ugh, why do the temps have to yo yo like this?"  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Tea Drinker

« Reply #13600 on: October 28, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »
I hate those "Your workout is our warmup" shirts. As someone who went from about 33% bodyfat to a decent athlete, I couldn't imagine wearing one, because I've been in the position of being the slowest/most easily-fatigued person in the room. There's just something so superior about them.  It's a moot point that there's always someone better than you and always someone worse than you, but I don't see the need to draw attention to it.

How nice for them. My workout is about health, not about insulting strangers.

My motto at the gym is "comparisons are odious." The *only* numbers I am willing to compare are my own week-to-week or month-to-month; if I can do more or fewer reps, or need to change the amount of weight, that matters. Whether I happen to be putting more or less weight on the machine that someone else doesn't, because my workout and fitness would be the same if that person had never been born.

Evil Tea Drinker wonders how many of the people with shirts like that will still be exercising in 20 years. I was one of the fattest people at my gym when I started working out (and one of the reasons I was at that gym was that the staff never suggested by word or deed that this meant I shouldn't be there). Sometime in the last few years, I noticed that I had become one of the oldest people there.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Emmy

« Reply #13601 on: October 29, 2013, 12:54:47 AM »

I haven't seen them, but anybody who wears something like that must have an inflated sense of self-importance.  They probably get a good workout from patting themselves on the back.

ishka

« Reply #13602 on: October 29, 2013, 02:52:40 AM »
The latest Apple os update (is it 7?)

I hate the way it looks; all the icons now have a cartoonish look to them that makes my phone look like a toy.

I hate the changes to the most used functions; I've been pressing to answer for years, why do I now have to slide?

I hate the fact that there is no way to roll-back to the previous version.

I hate the fact that the internet is full of reviews by people who hate the same things I hate and I did not look for these reviews before downloading and installing the stupid thing.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13603 on: October 29, 2013, 07:29:57 AM »
Most people I know have been extremely supportive and super encouraging on my weight loss journey.  Most comments I get are how cute I look today or what a great job I'm doing.

I have one naysayer that is driving me a bit up the wall though.  I don't know how to describe this other than I am being talked at, not spoken directly to in many cases.  Some list of complaints are I am too thin (I haven't even hit single digit sizes and more than likely won't even when I do reach my goal), my clothes are too tight/revealing (I cannot help that smaller clothes are more fashionable in many cases), I'm wasting food if Deity forbid I trash 1/2 oz of something, I wear too much makeup (same as I've always worn)...the list goes on, but those are the basic sort I'm hearing from this person.

Others have noticed it as well and said that this person is just severely jealous of my success, but it's still annoying to hear. I've taken to just ignoring them as I don't think they deserve any kind of response.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

mmswm

« Reply #13604 on: October 29, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »
Dazi, I agree with your friends in saying that the naysayer is just jealous; sort of the "crabs in a bucket" syndrome.  I've encountered a little bit of that in my own weight loss journey. It is really irritating, but ignoring it really is the best way to go.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)