Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1308413 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13770 on: November 10, 2013, 08:10:52 AM »
I was eating dinner at a pizza restaurant with my parents. The restaurant had a large tv near the cash register. I wasn't paying attention to the tv at first, since my back was to it while I was eating. I did notice the tv, though, after Carrie Bradshaw and her boyfriend started loudly playing scrabble + Carrie was giving a very specific narration about their scrabble preferences. I was hoping the waitresses would change the station, as that seemed a bit awkward in a family restaurant. I mean, I love the show, but I'd rather not watch certain episodes with my parents, kwim ? After that show went off, there was a celebrity gossip show explaining what ladies need to do in order to impress Justin Beiber's handlers and be allowed into his bed; also, how many ladies he takes to bed a time. One waitress tried to change the station to Law and Order, but all the other waitresses screamed "NOOO!" and "THAT'S A BOY SHOW! NOBODY WANTS TO WATCH THAT!"  ::)
a friend of mine walked into a small grocery store/Kiosk (not in the USA) and said that the guy was watching, ummm, nasty movies (Pron). who does that?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Dr. F.

« Reply #13771 on: November 10, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »
The library book I'm currently reading, "Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories," by M.R. James. (yes, I like ghost stories.) The stories are fine, though reading a bunch in a row gets to be a bit much of a muchness, but what's driving me nuts is that there are all sorts of asterisks in the text that look like they're referring to end notes or something, but there aren't any end notes! I don't know if there was a separate volume of explanatory notes or what, but they're not in the volume I'm reading. I can make sense of all of the stories, but some bits would be better for a little more background.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13772 on: November 10, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »

I understand that. Didn't you just call and ask for a different underwriter to approve the epipen? One friend gets two every two years or whenever the old ones expire unless she uses it. I know it's a nuisance, but I'm am wondering that a phone call from the pharmacist didn't take care of it.

Both my pharmacist and my doctor called the insurance company.  It has to go through a formal appeals process.  They're saying that I required further intervention the last time I took the med (iv meds and intubation), that "this method of treatment is ineffective and considered medically unnecessary".  It's nonsense that anybody with a brain can see the folly of, but that's what they're saying.

In the meantime, my kids' pedi has solved the immediate problem, though I can't rely on him to do it again.  But at least I have the epipens while I fight it out with the insurance company.

Okay. I am now officially angry and aghast at your situaltion. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #13773 on: November 10, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »

I understand that. Didn't you just call and ask for a different underwriter to approve the epipen? One friend gets two every two years or whenever the old ones expire unless she uses it. I know it's a nuisance, but I'm am wondering that a phone call from the pharmacist didn't take care of it.

Both my pharmacist and my doctor called the insurance company.  It has to go through a formal appeals process.  They're saying that I required further intervention the last time I took the med (iv meds and intubation), that "this method of treatment is ineffective and considered medically unnecessary".  It's nonsense that anybody with a brain can see the folly of, but that's what they're saying.

In the meantime, my kids' pedi has solved the immediate problem, though I can't rely on him to do it again.  But at least I have the epipens while I fight it out with the insurance company.

Okay. I am now officially angry and aghast at your situaltion. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
mmswm, there should be a medical ombudsman for your state.  Under "State Government" in a dead-tree phone book, or google "Your State medical obudsman".
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hillia

« Reply #13774 on: November 10, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »
The library book I'm currently reading, "Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories," by M.R. James. (yes, I like ghost stories.) The stories are fine, though reading a bunch in a row gets to be a bit much of a muchness, but what's driving me nuts is that there are all sorts of asterisks in the text that look like they're referring to end notes or something, but there aren't any end notes! I don't know if there was a separate volume of explanatory notes or what, but they're not in the volume I'm reading. I can make sense of all of the stories, but some bits would be better for a little more background.

I love M.R. James; I've read the anthology many times.  I don't have too much trouble following, although I wish he'd known that not all of his future readers would have classical educations, and provided a bit more translation for his Latin and Greek quotations.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #13775 on: November 10, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »

I love M.R. James; I've read the anthology many times.  I don't have too much trouble following, although I wish he'd known that not all of his future readers would have classical educations, and provided a bit more translation for his Latin and Greek quotations.It says they're abridged but it's not by much, if at all, and the downloads are on special offer at Audiogo at the moment...

O/T: I commend to other M R James fans the two audiobooks of the stories read by Derek Jacobi. Jacobi could read his shopping list and make it sound interesting, but those two cds take me through all of my Christmas cooking, because Christmas cooking and ghost stories just go together.
http://www.audiogo.com/uk/ghost-stories-volume-1-m-r-james-gid-20220
http://www.audiogo.com/uk/ghost-stories-volume-2-m-r-james-gid-20221

The downloads are on special offer on Audiogo at the moment.

ETA: sorry, but the Audiogo site in the UK is frozen - the company is in administration. US customers are being diverted to Downpour.com. If I've understood it correctly, you can buy downloads anywhere from them but physical copies won't ship to Europe.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:27:18 AM by Free Range Hippy Chick »

Library Dragon

« Reply #13776 on: November 10, 2013, 04:58:48 PM »
Drivers not pulling up to the far pump. At the gas station today two drivers pulled in ahead of me and instead going to the far pump, so someone (me) can pull up behind and also get gas.  I had to drive around one car and angle in at the front pump. Fortunately my Kia Soul doesn't stick out much.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mmswm

« Reply #13777 on: November 10, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »

mmswm, there should be a medical ombudsman for your state.  Under "State Government" in a dead-tree phone book, or google "Your State medical obudsman".

I've already started a formal appeals process.  And yes, the whole situation makes pretty much everybody angry.  Thankfully I was able to acquire two epi pens before I left town for the weekend, thanks to the kids' pedi.  Most of my concern was that not only was I not going to be in my home, which I know is safe, but I was going to be on a boat for six hours with a breakfast and lunch buffet.  Thankfully, the crew was fantastic.  I asked about the menus and told them why I was asking.  The asked me what I thought I might be interested in eating and set more than enough aside for me so there would be no risk of contamination when other people went through the line. If I'd known they would have gone that far out of their way to make sure I was safe, I wouldn't have worried nearly as much.

Leafy

« Reply #13778 on: November 11, 2013, 04:13:28 AM »
Movember mustaches. Specifically, the fact that my husband is trying to grow one now for the first time. "Try" is the operative word. I'm not opposed to facial hair. It can be downright attractive on the right person. My husband is not one of those people. Put him in a hoodie with a mustache outside a school and the cops will be called because there's a creeper on site. It looks yucky. But "all the other guys at work are growing one."

I'm now calling Movember "No Scrabble November."  ::)

Is he actually doing it for Movember - raising money and awareness for men's health? Or is it just a "fun" thing he is doing? If he is raising money then I would try to excuse it, but if it's just for fun then he is getting what he deserves   ;) .

Gyburc

« Reply #13779 on: November 11, 2013, 07:16:49 AM »
up the wall right now. (and reminded because of the people having insurance issues.)

I have a FB friend who is again complaining about the N.H.S. and it's not even about anything really moan worthy.

She has to wait a week to see her GP of choice. Now that may seem unreasonable and if it was her only option I would agree, but she could have been seen the day she called in, but just not with her GP of choice.

In addition to that it's not for a time critical illness it's to get her BP checked and get a repeat prescription (which a nurse can do as it's the contraceptive pill.)

what is it about free services that make some people come out as really entitled?

Your friend does sound a bit special, but to be fair to her, the NHS is only free at the point of delivery. Unless she has worked out how not to pay tax, she is paying for the service!  :)
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13780 on: November 11, 2013, 07:49:47 AM »
When people RSVP "Yes" for a meetup event and then don't show.  While this does not necessarily involve money, it is very rude to the hosts who may have prepared discussion topics or made lunch or dinner reservations for a specific number of attendees. 

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #13781 on: November 11, 2013, 09:28:19 AM »
It seems like a lot of stories I hear about medical insurance and benefits etc. in the U.S. involve stuff like "they always deny it the first time you apply even if it's obviously justified, and make you jump through stupid hoops, in the hopes that you'll give up and they won't have to pay". :-\

You only hear the bad bad ones. I have had an accident that caused me 17 days in the hospital, 5 surgeries that required hospitalizations, 2 births, a few day surgeries, and numerous tests leading up to these surgeries, plus the usual yearly exams with tests, and a stroke. This begins in 1952, so over several insurance companies and now with Medicare and supplemental. I have never been turned down for anything, and the only terribly delayed payment was when an agent was doing criminal activity with the policies.

I haven't even mentioned my husband's and my children's collecting insurance, but all of them have gone flawlessly.

I really don't know anyone over the years who has been denied procedures or payment, including my mom's cancers and my dad's bypasses. And it is only recently we have been getting medications not insured.
My DP, we joke, is the three million dollar woman (that's about how much her care in the hospital has cost, in just the last three years). She's scheduled for another three weeks in the hospital and another massive surgery (our last, I hope) a week from tomorrow. Not only has insurance approved everything, they have a phone team that I can call if I have any questions or need anything. I'm thrilled.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #13782 on: November 11, 2013, 09:53:35 AM »
When people RSVP "Yes" for a meetup event and then don't show.  While this does not necessarily involve money, it is very rude to the hosts who may have prepared discussion topics or made lunch or dinner reservations for a specific number of attendees.

Ugh, I can sympathize. Different situation, but I went to a meetup on Saturday - dropped DD off with my parents, paid for parking, and wandered around for 15 minutes until it became clear no one from my group was there. I was confused because I'd checked the site the night before and 6 people were supposed to be coming. When I got home I checked my e-mail and it turned out that every single person had backed out due to illness within 3 hours of the event. I guess it's partly my fault for not checking my e-mail that morning, but really people? I am going to have to get a smartphone.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

lilfox

« Reply #13783 on: November 11, 2013, 03:21:19 PM »
Drivers not pulling up to the far pump. At the gas station today two drivers pulled in ahead of me and instead going to the far pump, so someone (me) can pull up behind and also get gas.  I had to drive around one car and angle in at the front pump. Fortunately my Kia Soul doesn't stick out much.

That is annoying.  I usually comfort myself by thinking those drivers are taking the risk that the person who pulls in front of them will a) take longer at the pump and b) not park very carefully, making it at least as difficult for the first pump person to get out as they made it for me to get in.

And on the RSVP front, my friend hosted a party at her house where fully half of the "Yes" responders not only no-showed, but didn't follow up with any kind of excuse later.  She was stuck with quite a bit of extra food, some of which had to be tossed afterwards as it doesn't keep.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #13784 on: November 11, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »
Movember mustaches. Specifically, the fact that my husband is trying to grow one now for the first time. "Try" is the operative word. I'm not opposed to facial hair. It can be downright attractive on the right person. My husband is not one of those people. Put him in a hoodie with a mustache outside a school and the cops will be called because there's a creeper on site. It looks yucky. But "all the other guys at work are growing one."

I'm now calling Movember "No Scrabble November."  ::)

Is he actually doing it for Movember - raising money and awareness for men's health? Or is it just a "fun" thing he is doing? If he is raising money then I would try to excuse it, but if it's just for fun then he is getting what he deserves   ;) .

Nope, just growing "facial hair" (and I use that term loosely.) He finally decided to shave yesterday. Apparently he "wanted to see how it looked." He's been telling me for the past 9 1/2 years that he can't grow decent facial hair, not sure why he thought that might have changed all of a sudden  ::)