News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 08:46:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5485544 times)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13635 on: November 11, 2013, 06:49:47 AM »
When people RSVP "Yes" for a meetup event and then don't show.  While this does not necessarily involve money, it is very rude to the hosts who may have prepared discussion topics or made lunch or dinner reservations for a specific number of attendees. 

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #13636 on: November 11, 2013, 08:28:19 AM »
It seems like a lot of stories I hear about medical insurance and benefits etc. in the U.S. involve stuff like "they always deny it the first time you apply even if it's obviously justified, and make you jump through stupid hoops, in the hopes that you'll give up and they won't have to pay". :-\

You only hear the bad bad ones. I have had an accident that caused me 17 days in the hospital, 5 surgeries that required hospitalizations, 2 births, a few day surgeries, and numerous tests leading up to these surgeries, plus the usual yearly exams with tests, and a stroke. This begins in 1952, so over several insurance companies and now with Medicare and supplemental. I have never been turned down for anything, and the only terribly delayed payment was when an agent was doing criminal activity with the policies.

I haven't even mentioned my husband's and my children's collecting insurance, but all of them have gone flawlessly.

I really don't know anyone over the years who has been denied procedures or payment, including my mom's cancers and my dad's bypasses. And it is only recently we have been getting medications not insured.
My DP, we joke, is the three million dollar woman (that's about how much her care in the hospital has cost, in just the last three years). She's scheduled for another three weeks in the hospital and another massive surgery (our last, I hope) a week from tomorrow. Not only has insurance approved everything, they have a phone team that I can call if I have any questions or need anything. I'm thrilled.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #13637 on: November 11, 2013, 08:53:35 AM »
When people RSVP "Yes" for a meetup event and then don't show.  While this does not necessarily involve money, it is very rude to the hosts who may have prepared discussion topics or made lunch or dinner reservations for a specific number of attendees.

Ugh, I can sympathize. Different situation, but I went to a meetup on Saturday - dropped DD off with my parents, paid for parking, and wandered around for 15 minutes until it became clear no one from my group was there. I was confused because I'd checked the site the night before and 6 people were supposed to be coming. When I got home I checked my e-mail and it turned out that every single person had backed out due to illness within 3 hours of the event. I guess it's partly my fault for not checking my e-mail that morning, but really people? I am going to have to get a smartphone.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

lilfox

« Reply #13638 on: November 11, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
Drivers not pulling up to the far pump. At the gas station today two drivers pulled in ahead of me and instead going to the far pump, so someone (me) can pull up behind and also get gas.  I had to drive around one car and angle in at the front pump. Fortunately my Kia Soul doesn't stick out much.

That is annoying.  I usually comfort myself by thinking those drivers are taking the risk that the person who pulls in front of them will a) take longer at the pump and b) not park very carefully, making it at least as difficult for the first pump person to get out as they made it for me to get in.

And on the RSVP front, my friend hosted a party at her house where fully half of the "Yes" responders not only no-showed, but didn't follow up with any kind of excuse later.  She was stuck with quite a bit of extra food, some of which had to be tossed afterwards as it doesn't keep.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #13639 on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:54 PM »
Movember mustaches. Specifically, the fact that my husband is trying to grow one now for the first time. "Try" is the operative word. I'm not opposed to facial hair. It can be downright attractive on the right person. My husband is not one of those people. Put him in a hoodie with a mustache outside a school and the cops will be called because there's a creeper on site. It looks yucky. But "all the other guys at work are growing one."

I'm now calling Movember "No Scrabble November."  ::)

Is he actually doing it for Movember - raising money and awareness for men's health? Or is it just a "fun" thing he is doing? If he is raising money then I would try to excuse it, but if it's just for fun then he is getting what he deserves   ;) .

Nope, just growing "facial hair" (and I use that term loosely.) He finally decided to shave yesterday. Apparently he "wanted to see how it looked." He's been telling me for the past 9 1/2 years that he can't grow decent facial hair, not sure why he thought that might have changed all of a sudden  ::)

Venus193

« Reply #13640 on: November 11, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »

And on the RSVP front, my friend hosted a party at her house where fully half of the "Yes" responders not only no-showed, but didn't follow up with any kind of excuse later.  She was stuck with quite a bit of extra food, some of which had to be tossed afterwards as it doesn't keep.

There is no acceptable excuse for this.  I would never invite any of those people again.

I feel a little better now that I'm not the only victim of this problem, but it's a sad situation to realize that there are so many more rude people in this world than we previously thought.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #13641 on: November 11, 2013, 05:27:30 PM »
Yesterday we had some friends overbforndinner so I spent the day cooking and cleaning.
 If it involves a dinner party, I don't mind cleaning!

Problem is,not was also laundry day. I usually move the clean baskets to the living room to fold them, but with company coming, I stacked them in the teeny-tiny laundry room.

Dinner involved a lot of prep dishes and as it is winter, I was able to use the garage for extra cold storage.

Access to the garage is -yes, through the kaundry room.
Putting the salad out to chill?
Through the laundry room.
Need the broom?
In the laundry room.
Put a new load on?
Yeah, laundry room.

It is a small room. Stacked with full baskets.
That I tripped over Every Single Time.

It was a great evening, but my shins look like I have been wrangling karate-kicking toddlers who just got back from Willy Wonka's candy garden.
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

mmswm

« Reply #13642 on: November 11, 2013, 05:41:07 PM »
Teenagers.  More specifically, my teenager.

My car has been having some issues recently, so before I left for Key West, my father, my son and myself gave the engine a once over along with installing a temporary fix for the ignition issue I have.  One of the things that needed to happen was that the radiator fluid needed to be topped off.  Dad took the cap off and set it aside and my son was told to fill it up and put the cap back on, then put all the tools away and close up the car.

So, I get as far as the south side of Key Largo and my car starts running a little warm.  I pull over to check things out.  Not only did the boy fail to put radiator fluid in, he left the radiator cap off and left a couple tools in the engine.  Thankfully the cap was still there. So, I let it sit for a few minutes, put the radiator cap on and go on my merry way. The engine was running a tad warm, but as long as I kept moving, it stayed at a reasonable operating temperature.  Unfortunately, if you has ever run US1 down into the lower keys, you would know that "keeping moving" is not always possible.  Traffic can be a real bear.  Saturday night was no exception.  So a little after 5, the engine was too warm for my comfort.  Also, the sun was at just the right angle to make seeing my dashboard gauges impossible. I pulled over in Marathon, just north of the 7 mile bridge and killed time until the sun went down.  I was annoyed because I was hungry and I didn't want to eat because my host in Key West already had dinner planned, and I didn't want to not be hungry once I got there.

So, the car made it all the way to Key West with a fair amount of stress on my part.  Watching the symptoms, I figured the problem was one of two things. Either one of the fan relays went bad or I had a vapor lock from when the engine was running with no radiator cap.  I decided to take the wait and see approach.  I let it sit overnight and checked the next day.  Radiator was bone dry (it hadn't been when I had the cap back off after the engine was cool enough to remove it).  This points to a vapor lock.  I filled the thing back up and headed north.  I had no issues on the northbound journey, which means that all the trouble I had going south was a direct result of my teenager not doing as he was told.  Ugh.  Of course, to be fair, it's my car.  I should have checked, but still, he really should do a better job of following instructions.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

alkira6

« Reply #13643 on: November 12, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
As a sound off to those who have loved ones doing Movember, my DH is doing it for money. The only problem is that he is one of those "fortunate" men who grow facial hair quickly.  He shaved completely on the 31st and by the 7th had a full beard/stache combo.  He now looks like an unkempt yeti.  By the end of the month I'm pretty sure I'll have started giving him Gimli braids so that he looks a bit neater.  I want to know why he can't just stick with the 'stache and shave the beard.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #13644 on: November 12, 2013, 12:42:12 PM »
As a sound off to those who have loved ones doing Movember, my DH is doing it for money. The only problem is that he is one of those "fortunate" men who grow facial hair quickly.  He shaved completely on the 31st and by the 7th had a full beard/stache combo.  He now looks like an unkempt yeti.  By the end of the month I'm pretty sure I'll have started giving him Gimli braids so that he looks a bit neater.  I want to know why he can't just stick with the 'stache and shave the beard.

Snerk. I love the "unkempt yeti" description. Reminds me of some of the Red Sox players with their beards this season. Some were barely there, and others looked like your DH.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13645 on: November 12, 2013, 03:38:53 PM »
Yesterday I moved furniture all around the living room.  This morning, I woke up feeling like an elephant sat on me.

Getting old sucks, but it beats the only known method of not doing so...

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #13646 on: November 12, 2013, 03:39:04 PM »
I have just had to hide all feed from a contact on Facebook, because I simply cannot stand her posts. She's a teenager, the daughter of a friend, and to be honest, I only accepted her friend request because... well, because I didn't have a reason not to. Her spelling makes me wince - not just txtspk but plain bad spelling - but hey, I don't know, maybe she's dyslexic, and everybody gets clumsy typing fingers sometimes, so I try not to let it irritate me. No, what I can't bear are the photos. There are a couple of photos most days, of her animals, mostly, taken on her phone, posted straight to FB, and sideways. Seven of the last ten pictures she's posted are sideways, and four are so badly out of focus that you can't see whatever it is she wants us to admire. Nice girl but life is too short for repeated sideways wobbly pictures of a horse not doing anything interesting.

mmswm

« Reply #13647 on: November 12, 2013, 03:47:23 PM »
I have just had to hide all feed from a contact on Facebook, because I simply cannot stand her posts. She's a teenager, the daughter of a friend, and to be honest, I only accepted her friend request because... well, because I didn't have a reason not to. Her spelling makes me wince - not just txtspk but plain bad spelling - but hey, I don't know, maybe she's dyslexic, and everybody gets clumsy typing fingers sometimes, so I try not to let it irritate me. No, what I can't bear are the photos. There are a couple of photos most days, of her animals, mostly, taken on her phone, posted straight to FB, and sideways. Seven of the last ten pictures she's posted are sideways, and four are so badly out of focus that you can't see whatever it is she wants us to admire. Nice girl but life is too short for repeated sideways wobbly pictures of a horse not doing anything interesting.

This is exactly why I have a "no kids allowed" rule on my FB page.  Well, that and I occasionally post pictures that are borderline racy and/or alcohol related.  Nothing that I wouldn't mind my mother seeing (she's on my page), but stuff that I wouldn't want teens to see.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #13648 on: November 12, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »
Right now I'm really annoyed by coworkers who can't or won't follow expense report policy.  I'm sick of having the "No, we can't pay for your spouses phone charges" conversation with the same people. 

And the "I'm sorry, but I can't expense things that don't have a receipt." conversation. 

And the "You bought a $200 bottle of wine.  For yourself.  I'm not sure that will be approved, as it somewhat exceeds the $80 per diem for food."

C'mon people!  I'm always the bad guy.   ::)

(And yes, we do have an expense report policy that I personally print and give to each person on my team.  This is in addition to the electronic copy for which they have to sign an affidavit stating they read it.)

Venus193

« Reply #13649 on: November 13, 2013, 05:35:20 AM »

I just did the same thing to avoid the political screed that an old friend indulges in.  Not that we are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but her constant sharing of really paranoid stuff gets on my last nerve.  We have a mutual friend who reached this point far sooner than I did.  I don't know whether I should tell her or not.