Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1688973 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13815 on: November 14, 2013, 10:23:13 AM »
Unfortunately, most chronically late people would consider an Outlook calendar an authority figure and rebel against it.

Hillia

« Reply #13816 on: November 14, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »
I read a story once about a college instructor who had a student in a  night class who was consistently 15 minutes late to class...class started at 7, student was there at 7:15 every night.  The instructor had a conversation with the student and expressed her opinion that chronic lateness was a statement of rebellion, in an attempt to control the situation.  The student protested: she worked full time and had small children, so it by the time she got her kids home from school and dinner on the table, 7:15 was the earliest she could make it.  The instructor was sympathetic, and they agreed that 7:15 would be considered 'on time' for that student.

After that conversation, the student arrived at 7:30 for each class.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13817 on: November 14, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »
I will say some chronically late folks can reform, though it does require wanting to.  I was one of them, and it was mostly a matter of poor time management in my case, knowing how much time to leave myself in order to get places on time.

And in my case, it was being married to someone in the military that cured me.  While I don't subscribe to the "hurry up and wait" mentality of getting to a place 15 minutes early to wait around for things to start, I do try to be somewhere at least 5 minutes early.  I was rather pleased when another mother at my church who has two boys said she marveled at my ability to get 3 boys up and ready, and myself put together and to church on time and no one in tears.

I've gone from seeing the clock and thinking "Ah, ten minutes to nine, I have time to do x!" To "Whoah, ten minutes to nine, we're running late!" (We have to be at church at 9 for Sunday School and we're 5 minutes drive from our church)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cwm

« Reply #13818 on: November 14, 2013, 11:16:44 AM »
Something that bugs me to no end (somewhat related) is the stereotype that women take forever to get ready for things. Nope. I can get up at 7 and be at work by 7:30 with a 20 minute commute. I get up, bathroom, dressed, out the door. Getting ready for a party, I make sure my clothes look nice and throw on my coat, I'm ready to go. Boyfriend takes at least 45 minutes to get ready, dithering about what game to bring, but maybe people would want this one, but I want that one, but we won't have enough people for XYZ, but we'll have too many people for ABC, but this, but that, but infinity. He has it in his head that he can start getting ready with about half an hour to the start of the party and make it on time, but his "on time" is usually an hour or more late.

Now for most parties is fine, and I don't stress about that, but when we're planning on dinner at a VERY SLOW restaurant before a show next door and I've told him repeatedly to get there by 6:30 to be on time, it is not okay to show up at 7:15 and try to placate me that it'll be fine. No. You're late, we're rushed finishing our food, and my evening has started on a sour note because of it. It is on you and your inability to plan ahead. Do not blame anything else, I know better. None of your excuses hold water.

Hopefully (I can dream, can't I?) he learned that he cannot pull that with me any more, I was a very UNhappy camper that evening, and he was all over himself the rest of the weekend trying to make it up to me. Whether that translates to planning ahead in the future has yet to be seen.

mmswm

« Reply #13819 on: November 14, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
Something that bugs me to no end (somewhat related) is the stereotype that women take forever to get ready for things. Nope. I can get up at 7 and be at work by 7:30 with a 20 minute commute. I get up, bathroom, dressed, out the door.

Last weekend I went out of town to watch an event.  I stayed with a friend.  We had to leave by 7:30.  It had been a late night the night before, and neither of us woke up until 7.  I got in the shower first.  I guess he figured he'd have a lot of time, so when I emerged from the shower 3 minutes later the look of shock on his face was rather priceless.  He was even more impressed that I was on the back porch playing on my computer, completely dressed and ready to go when he got out of his own shower. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13820 on: November 14, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »
I agree, as my brother is one of them.  In fact, anytime my brother tells me "We'll be there at 10" I add an hour to that time.  Though I will say that the last time they came up, he asked if we were okay with them changing their arrival time, as his gf had some things she needed to get prior to showing up to get ready for something at work the next day.  I was fine with that and said as much.

And if there's something time sensitive, as in going to see a movie or something with a set start time, they'll show up on time, even early. Like for the little pirate's baptism this past Mother's Day, the service started at 10:15 and he and his gf showed up before my IL's.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cwm

« Reply #13821 on: November 14, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
And completely unrelated, one from work. The terminally clueless, or those who absolutely refuse to take a clue or use the proper channels.

My company services lots of smaller companies. We have different tiers of service for different companies. When we started the most basic program for the smallest companies, I was the point person and emailed the person of contact at those companies. I have not been involved in this email campaign for well over 6 months now. It is over.

"Susan" at CompanyQ still has my email address. And the old form of sending orders in. We've recently had the problem where she and another person at her company were using old form and new form, resulting in lots of duplicate orders that we had to sort out. Okay, fine, it's been taken care of.

Susan still emails me on a weekly basis about the status of the orders and her own company's clients that we're working with. There is a shared email inbox that she should be using. I've told her this before. Repeatedly. And if I wasn't one of the two people maintaining that inbox, I would send everything there. As it is, it would just be another step in the process, I'd probably end up dealing with it anyway.

She's emailing me about things that have nothing to do with me or my position in the organization. When the orders are off to be processed, or we're on a backlog waiting for the government to do their thing with the order, or her end client has spoken to someone several months ago and wants us to call him back, she emails me. I assign files. I don't deal with files once they're assigned, I don't deal with files in processing.

The best part? Half the time she doesn't wait more than five minutes for an answer, she calls me. I had one question that I didn't know how to answer. I asked the salespeople around me. Their answer was "Well, it depends on X, Y, Z, and QRS, we can't tell until we get the file and can get into it." I emailed her this answer, saying she should tell her clients that we need an active file to know for sure. She responded TO THAT EMAIL saying that she was calling me. My phone rang. She asked what she should tell the clients, they were in her office. Now I don't have qualifications to give out any sort of advice, and my industry is such that if I were to give advice while unqualified, I could be fined lots of money and end up in jail, so I read my email to her word for word. Her response: "Oh, so should I just have them fill out an application and start a file?" *head meets desk repeatedly*

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13822 on: November 14, 2013, 11:45:04 AM »
Something that bugs me to no end (somewhat related) is the stereotype that women take forever to get ready for things. Nope. I can get up at 7 and be at work by 7:30 with a 20 minute commute. I get up, bathroom, dressed, out the door. Getting ready for a party, I make sure my clothes look nice and throw on my coat, I'm ready to go. 

I agree. I am not a morning person, and am happy to putter about for a couple of hours, IF I have nowhere to be. However, if I'm visiting someone, and we need to be up and out by a certain time, and once i start getting ready for work, I can be up, dressed, makeup on, etc. in a bout 20 mins. It does help I shower at night, but I can't stand taking more than that to get ready.

Shalamar

« Reply #13823 on: November 14, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »
Speaking of the chronically late, I used to go to a bellydancing class with a friend, and we were ALWAYS late.  Why?  Because she was in charge of driving the two of us.  If the class started at 6:30, you could bet that she wouldn't be at my house any earlier than 6:25.  The class was nearby, but it would take at LEAST five minutes to get there, change, and get into position.  On one occasion the teacher glared at us as we entered the room (don't blame her one bit), and my friend trilled merrily "Oooh, sorry, I just have no concept of time!"  Arrrgh.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13824 on: November 14, 2013, 01:49:32 PM »
I refuse to put up with constantly late people.

People in a professional setting who are grumpy because of something they have control over in their life.
  • Fad diet they chose to be on
  • Going to a midnight movie when you have to be at work the next day

Do what you please, but don't be grumpy with me the next day!

Cherry91

« Reply #13825 on: November 14, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »
Something that bugs me to no end (somewhat related) is the stereotype that women take forever to get ready for things. Nope. I can get up at 7 and be at work by 7:30 with a 20 minute commute.

I'm probably in the middle category - I like to take my time getting ready when I can, depending on the situation, how much time I have, etc.

When I've overslept, on the other hand, I can do 30 minutes of preparation in 5.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #13826 on: November 14, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
Right now, this annoying canker sore on the roof of my mouth is driving me up the wall! They always seem to form in exactly the places food will touch them and make them hurt. It does not help that I am one of those people for whom substances like Oragel only last one minute on the sore and an hour on the rest of my mouth.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #13827 on: November 14, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »
Right now, this annoying canker sore on the roof of my mouth is driving me up the wall! They always seem to form in exactly the places food will touch them and make them hurt. It does not help that I am one of those people for whom substances like Oragel only last one minute on the sore and an hour on the rest of my mouth.

You too? I thought that was just me! ;D

In all seriousness, see if you can get a tube of camphor ointment. Stinks to high heaven, tastes awful, hurts like an itch-with-a-b, but it works.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13828 on: November 14, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »

You have my sympathy.  Anytime I get one they also tend to form at the roof of the mouth and trying to eat and not let food touch it is especially tricky. Orajel doesn't seem to help, either. :P

diesel_darlin

« Reply #13829 on: November 14, 2013, 09:46:14 PM »
Being told to clock out precisely on time but having to wait for the relief coworker to show up. At least 15 minutes late. Then the coworker wants to know why she wasn't asked to come in earlier since I was out of hours and had to leave on time.