Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1295866 times)

Library Dragon

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13830 on: November 14, 2013, 10:52:53 PM »
We had a number of families at my former job (school) that were chronically 15-20 minutes late everyday. The teachers would begin teaching and were interrupted every morning as the stragglers came in. The principal had all teachers give a small assignment the first thing each day.  It was worth no more than 5 points. Not a grade killer, but 5 points every day can mean a B instead of an A.

The engineer/rocket scientst parents had a melt down the first semester. They had the power to correct it. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

squeakers

« Reply #13831 on: November 15, 2013, 01:14:10 AM »
Right now, this annoying canker sore on the roof of my mouth is driving me up the wall! They always seem to form in exactly the places food will touch them and make them hurt. It does not help that I am one of those people for whom substances like Oragel only last one minute on the sore and an hour on the rest of my mouth.

Try a baking soda mouthwash (as in baking soda in warm water).  http://askville.amazon.com/baking-soda-effective-canker-sores/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=3792992
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #13832 on: November 15, 2013, 07:17:28 AM »
Waking up to the whole bed shaking...due to the dog chewing herself.  Thanks a bunch, Daisy.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13833 on: November 15, 2013, 11:03:36 AM »
The fact that my weight loss (and hopefully continued) makes my pants large enough to have the "droopy drawer" effect, but I'm not quite into the next size down yet. ARGH. And last year I finally found pants, cords and so on that fit me well adn bought a bunch. which are now slightly too big. 

I did however, order some in a size smaller, even though i'm not there yet, i'm curuious to see how far i have to go.

Shalamar

« Reply #13834 on: November 15, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »
On the flipside of the whole lateness thing, my daughter's skating teacher used to start her classes a few minutes early, even if there were still children making their way across the ice towards her.  The class started at 6:00 p.m., my little girl (who was about 4 at the time, and not a strong skater) was gingerly skating towards the teacher at 5:55 (according to the huge clock on the wall) - and the teacher would start the class, despite seeing that my daughter wasn't there yet.   I complained bitterly about this behavior, and when I didn't get any satisfaction, I yanked my daughter out of the class.  She wasn't enjoying it anyway.

Betelnut

« Reply #13835 on: November 15, 2013, 12:33:18 PM »
The fact that my weight loss (and hopefully continued) makes my pants large enough to have the "droopy drawer" effect, but I'm not quite into the next size down yet. ARGH. And last year I finally found pants, cords and so on that fit me well adn bought a bunch. which are now slightly too big. 

I did however, order some in a size smaller, even though i'm not there yet, i'm curuious to see how far i have to go.

When I lost a lot of weight once, I would have a tailor take my clothes in.  It was cheaper than buying new...
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13836 on: November 15, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »

When I lost a lot of weight once, I would have a tailor take my clothes in.  It was cheaper than buying new...

I may do that with my "good" stuff, but most of this isn't. Not that's it carpy, but it wasn't expensive to begin with, so I could buy new for the same cost as alterations. THankfully, I still have some smaller sizes left, so won't be too bad. its more the annoyance of being inbetween sizes and having the droopy pants until i can move down a size.

Betelnut

« Reply #13837 on: November 15, 2013, 01:14:24 PM »

I may do that with my "good" stuff, but most of this isn't. Not that's it carpy, but it wasn't expensive to begin with, so I could buy new for the same cost as alterations. THankfully, I still have some smaller sizes left, so won't be too bad. its more the annoyance of being inbetween sizes and having the droopy pants until i can move down a size.

Oh, I understand!  That is very annoying.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13838 on: November 15, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
There's one person who is at best an acquaintance.  She's married to a high school friend of DH's and while the guy is pretty cool, this girl...well she's just not the sharpest tool in the shed and she's one of those types who will only talk AT you.  They have absolutely no interest in a back and forth conversation. Your roll is purely that of a cardboard standup, there to hear them talk about themselves. 

She will call and go on and on about her new car, or their trip to Disney, or Sailor Moon.  If she does ask how we are, it becomes clear she doesn't really care, she's just doing it because it's a conversational convention. And I've given up telling her I'm not a fan of Sailor Moon because then I get a lecture about how great a series it is.  ::)

So anyway, today I finally marked her as an acquaintance on fbook because every time she's ever commented on my posts, I end up deleting them. Not because they're offensive but just...well it's hard to explain. She just keeps on commenting and it's clear she isn't really reading what anyone else is saying aside from maybe a word or two that express that someone doesn't agree with her.   I had said in a post that my family (meaning myself, hubby and kids) are a bag of mixed nuts, and I meant it affectionately.  She kept insisting we're perfectly normal and unique even after I lightly expressed "No, we're not normal and we're totally okay with that!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13839 on: November 15, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »
There's one person who is at best an acquaintance.  She's married to a high school friend of DH's and while the guy is pretty cool, this girl...well she's just not the sharpest tool in the shed and she's one of those types who will only talk AT you.  They have absolutely no interest in a back and forth conversation. Your roll is purely that of a cardboard standup, there to hear them talk about themselves. 

She will call and go on and on about her new car, or their trip to Disney, or Sailor Moon.  If she does ask how we are, it becomes clear she doesn't really care, she's just doing it because it's a conversational convention. And I've given up telling her I'm not a fan of Sailor Moon because then I get a lecture about how great a series it is.  ::)

So anyway, today I finally marked her as an acquaintance on fbook because every time she's ever commented on my posts, I end up deleting them. Not because they're offensive but just...well it's hard to explain. She just keeps on commenting and it's clear she isn't really reading what anyone else is saying aside from maybe a word or two that express that someone doesn't agree with her.   I had said in a post that my family (meaning myself, hubby and kids) are a bag of mixed nuts, and I meant it affectionately.  She kept insisting we're perfectly normal and unique even after I lightly expressed "No, we're not normal and we're totally okay with that!"

I know people like that. And they drive me nuts....sorry, couldn't resist. I love your description of your family,  and woudl totally get if you told me that.... !

Carotte

« Reply #13840 on: November 15, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »
I think the two persons I can consider as my supervisors (on account of him being my senior) and uber supervisor ( supervisor answer to her too) are of the kind that likes to hear themselves talk and don't notice things if it contradict their world view.

Stuff like "if you see you're running low on widget X, don't hesitate to grab some from the back"  "did I show you where to get the widget X?" when I just got some from the back and they should have seen it.
Or "if it's slow never hesitate to tidy up around here, you'll work better and it's more pleasing for the customers" when clearly, someone has jussstt spend time cleaning up (sure it's not perfect, we just had a customer, but that's in no way what our work station would look like after 4+h of work without tidying up!).
 ::)
At least it's harmless I guess.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13841 on: November 15, 2013, 02:29:14 PM »

Stuff like "if you see you're running low on widget X, don't hesitate to grab some from the back"  "did I show you where to get the widget X?" when I just got some from the back and they should have seen it.
Or "if it's slow never hesitate to tidy up around here, you'll work better and it's more pleasing for the customers" when clearly, someone has jussstt spend time cleaning up (sure it's not perfect, we just had a customer, but that's in no way what our work station would look like after 4+h of work without tidying up!).
 ::)
At least it's harmless I guess.

Oh i hate that. I've been at my PT retail job 3 days shy of 8 years. and in that time, nothing has changed as to what we do to close. So I know we have to vacuum, swiffer the wood floor, bring hangers in the back ,etc. and don't need to be told over and over and over and over. I just do it. I look to see what's been done, and what hasn't, and just do it.

It drives me nuts. So I've learned to either tune them out, or just nod and say "uh huh" and continue doing what I'm doing.

My one manager, who I love dearly, makes me nuts in other ways. Employee purchases or returns have to have two sigs, and a manager sign. I will be up in the front of the store, and this manager will either be doing an employee transaction, or need a return signed, and gosh darn it she wants you to come RIGHT NOW and do it. and if you don't drop what you're doing and run back, sign, then run up to what you were doing, she gets someone else! she just can't stand to see that stuff sit for more than 2 seconds. I kid you not. So I've just learned to say ok, when I'm done, and she'll get someone else. since its not imperative it gets done right that nanosecond!

nayberry

« Reply #13842 on: November 15, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
when i'm talking to certain "person" and i can make a jokey comment  "oh that eejit next door annoys me, i wish i could shove a potato up his exhaust", and they decide i'm being serious(Sweet monkey fritters!??) and have a go at me telling me i'd get arrested etc etc,  i'm sat facing them with a smile on my face and used the word "wish", to me that means 'i know i can't but darnit i'd like to',  grrrrrrrrrrrrr   i've never had so much as a parking ticket, or came home & late drunk & i'm the one who gets this rubbish!!!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13843 on: November 15, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »
My mother is currently driving me up the wall, and it's a good thing we're not in the same state! (she's in CO, and I'm in MN)

My DH got a job with his current employer about three years.  He works for a grocery chain that's strictly in the metro area - there are currently no plans to expand across the rest of the state, much less expand into another state.  I should also add that my DH works in purchasing and inventory.  He doesn't work in a grocery store, nor does he have any experience working in a grocery store.

Yet, at least once per month for the past three years, my mother has brought up the AWESOME NEW IDEA that my DH will somehow convince his company to open a grocery store out in CO, conveniently near where she lives.  Then DH will come out and manage said grocery store (with all his zero experience) and life will be magnificent, with unicorns and butterflies happily frolicking together.  Sigh.  I am so irritated with her for constantly bringing this up!  I actually hurt her feelings last time she brought it up by snapping, "Mom, it's not going to happen.  Stop it!".  Somehow that meant to her I never wanted to live in CO again...Sigh.  ::)

cwm

« Reply #13844 on: November 15, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »
Overused business catchphrases.

I had to attend a webinar recently. Within five minutes I was ready to walk out of the room, I couldn't stand listening to this guy speak. It was a half an hour webinar, and required by my company. He had a few key phrases that I wanted to keep a tally, but I couldn't without being noticed.

"Here's the bottom line..."
"Why? Because here's number one..."
"Let me tell you what I know..."
"Here's the thing..."
"Let me tell you something..."
"I'm going to explain something to you..."
"Here's the facts..."
"What it boils down to is..."

One of the above phrases happened about every minute. Probably a good third of the entire webinar was the guy just giving useless words and repeating the same facts over and over. I heard his CV a good four or five times in the course of it all. I think there was maybe 7-10 minutes of actual content. And this was the webinar that everyone on the sales floor was required to listen to because it's such great advice and we should all try to work better like that.

Well, I can't say they're wrong. The three steps the guy outlined would get us to be more productive, and the way we think about things could easily be changed to reflect those steps, but most of the salespeople were already doing that. And now instead of half an hour calling out on our files and working with the clients, we're sitting in a room listening to catchprases that mean nothing.