Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1735013 times)

lilfox

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13845 on: November 15, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »
Clearly he forgot to work in "At the end of the day...". That was the favored catchphrase of an ex-boyfriend of mine, as well as a few coworkers.

Still, I'd almost take that over a former manager who always used the phrases "stick to the knitting" and something about a recipe book and ingredients that I've finally forgotten 10 years later.

Management-speak that is currently frustrating our program manager includes the mixed metaphors of "big rocks" and "off-ramps" to describe projects (or maybe groups, or skill sets?) and deliverables, respectively.  The work products are clearly related, the current favored terms are not.

Snooks

« Reply #13846 on: November 15, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »
Double standards that I only recognise after the fact.

A few weeks ago my mom spent a long time asking me to explain why women still wait to be asked to marry someone.  She expressed dismay that nothing had changed since the 1950s.

This week I saw her for dinner and explained that I had passed all responsibility for xmas presents for the ILs to DH.  She told me she wasn't going to comment but I should recognise that in most situations it's the woman who does all the shopping so I was being unreasonable to not do it.  Apparently she just got all keen on 1950s gender roles again.

I've been stewing on this for a few days but have only just spotted the double standard.

Shalamar

« Reply #13847 on: November 15, 2013, 05:56:08 PM »
Clearly he forgot to work in "At the end of the day...".

My manager says that ALL.  THE.  TIME.  That, and "it is what it is".  Sometimes he says "At the end of the day, it is what it is."  Oy.

Speaking of annoying Facebook people, I get peeved when someone posts something like "Has anyone watched Broadchurch?  Is it good?", and someone else replies loftily "I don't even know what a Broadchurch is."  Thank you for that.  Very helpful.

(I made sure to comment that Broadchurch was, in fact, very good and David Tennant's real Scottish accent was adorable.)

nuit93

« Reply #13848 on: November 15, 2013, 09:43:21 PM »
Clearly he forgot to work in "At the end of the day...". That was the favored catchphrase of an ex-boyfriend of mine, as well as a few coworkers.

I've heard this one from managers before.  My brain immediately goes to the song from Les Miserables.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13849 on: November 16, 2013, 01:54:16 PM »
I remember having a little "drinking game" (with non-alcoholic drinks, that is) during an office meeting. Our boss, the head doctor for the practice I was working with at the time, was so fond of buzzwords and phrases we drank anytime he used one.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.

Adelaide

« Reply #13851 on: November 16, 2013, 02:09:21 PM »
I'm so sick of my mother, aunt, and grandparents going on and on about how my brother's a Marine. The way my mom talks you'd think SHE went through it herself, and my relatives are still obsessed with it a year and a half later. I can't imagine how crazy I'd feel if they were as obsessed with my law classes as they were with my brother being in the military.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13852 on: November 16, 2013, 02:22:24 PM »
My DH and the boys went on a horseback ride today as part of a brony get together. Or rather, dh and the older two boys.  DH invited me to go along and while typically I do enjoy riding horses, the idea of doing so and hearing about brony stuff for the whole time didn't really appeal to me.  That and it's not cheap either so I thought "Nah I'll just stay home and go out for a bit of time to myself when they get home." which ought to be around 3.

I also had the thought "Hey, little guy typically naps between noon and 3, I can get some nice quiet time to myself and around the time he's waking up, they'll be home!"

Okay so I get home with oldest DS around 11, as we had our confirmation class and DH and MS are watching Star Trek DS9 and littlest guy is dozing curled up against MS.  I put him up in his crib as they're leaving, come down and think "Alright, if he can sleep through DS9 blaring in the same room, I can watch Harry Potter and work on my cross stitch without a problem!"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Oh silly stupid me! I put it in and he's up like a pop tart and will not sleep the whole time they're gone. GRRR.  So not fair!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #13853 on: November 16, 2013, 06:52:13 PM »

I've heard this one from managers before.  My brain immediately goes to the song from Les Miserables.

My brain starts repeating the R.E.M. song and then I feel fine. :)
The days are long but the years are short.

Dr. F.

« Reply #13854 on: November 16, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »
when i'm talking to certain "person" and i can make a jokey comment  "oh that eejit next door annoys me, i wish i could shove a potato up his exhaust", and they decide i'm being serious(Sweet monkey fritters!??) and have a go at me telling me i'd get arrested etc etc,  i'm sat facing them with a smile on my face and used the word "wish", to me that means 'i know i can't but darnit i'd like to',  grrrrrrrrrrrrr   i've never had so much as a parking ticket, or came home & late drunk & i'm the one who gets this rubbish!!!

THIS. It drives me insane. My Former Horrible Boss was like this. She was incapable of understanding anything not exactly, precisely literal, often nit-picking about colloquial uses of words.

Dr. F.

« Reply #13855 on: November 16, 2013, 09:49:21 PM »
A new thing that drives me nuts -

I went into my local grocery a few days ago and wanted to buy some replacement cartridges for my Venus razor. Now, I understand that these things are small and expensive, so many stores have extra security for them. Fine. The sign on the shelf where they had them said "See Customer Service Window." So, I went to the Customer Service Window, and no one was there. So I gave up and started checking out. The cashier asked me, as usual, "Did you find everything?" and I mentioned the replacement cartridges. She offered to call up a manager for the Service Desk for me. I finished checking out what I had, assuming I'd have to do a separate transaction for the razors. OK, but annoying. Another 5 minutes passes, and a manager comes out. I tell her what I want, and she gets all confused and shows me the locked cabinet with everything - I point out what I want. She disappears for another 5 minutes.

It turns out no one in the store has keys to the locked cabinet. Seriously, people? Do you want to sell these things or not? They're expensive, so probably high-profit for you. Making them unpurchasable is probably not a great idea.

P.S. I bought them off the shelf at Target today, no trouble.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13856 on: November 17, 2013, 10:30:27 AM »
when i'm talking to certain "person" and i can make a jokey comment  "oh that eejit next door annoys me, i wish i could shove a potato up his exhaust", and they decide i'm being serious(Sweet monkey fritters!??) and have a go at me telling me i'd get arrested etc etc,  i'm sat facing them with a smile on my face and used the word "wish", to me that means 'i know i can't but darnit i'd like to',  grrrrrrrrrrrrr   i've never had so much as a parking ticket, or came home & late drunk & i'm the one who gets this rubbish!!!

THIS. It drives me insane. My Former Horrible Boss was like this. She was incapable of understanding anything not exactly, precisely literal, often nit-picking about colloquial uses of words

I've known people who were terrifyingly literal. 

I once made a joke about the stock market.  It was about an investor who bought stocks in paper towels and revolving doors.  He was wiped out before he could turn around.  The reaction from a CW?  'Oh no!  How horrible!'.

BarensMom

« Reply #13857 on: November 17, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »

THIS. It drives me insane. My Former Horrible Boss was like this. She was incapable of understanding anything not exactly, precisely literal, often nit-picking about colloquial uses of words

I once made a joke about the stock market.  It was about an investor who bought stocks in paper towels and revolving doors.  He was wiped out before he could turn around.  The reaction from a CW?  'Oh no!  How horrible!'.

I worked for 6-1/2 years for people like this.  They couldn't understand a joke if you took it apart and put it back together.  I would get called into the supervisor's office for jokes and/or using regionalisms (ex. "bless his heart").

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13858 on: November 17, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
DH's parents were literal-minded like that, too.  I soon learned not make puns or do any other wordplay around them.   It's funny, because DH also likes puns and wordplay.  I have no idea where that facet of his personality came from; certainly not something encouraged by MIL!

Today's gripe: when I've downloaded a game demo and DH interrupts me about 20-25 minutes into it.  EVERY BLASTED TIME!  The only way to keep him from doing that is to start the game after he's gone to bed.  No, DH, I can't pause it while I go do ____, because the clock keeps ticking.  Once it reaches 60 minutes, the demo is over, whether I've played all 60 minutes or only 18.  I have to exit the game to leave it for more than a minute.  And most games take a couple of minutes to load again, which is  a couple of minutes out of my gameplay! :mad:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 03:05:06 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

exitzero

« Reply #13859 on: November 17, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »

Oh yeah. I once wrote on Facebook that the woman standing next to me on the train commented to her companion that Bostonians were not friendly. So I kicked her in the shin.

Cue a 4 paragraph lecture about how I missed my chance to prove that Bostonians were nice people, rather than kicking her in the shin.

Yeah, do you really think I kicked a total stranger?