Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1541454 times)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13860 on: November 17, 2013, 09:04:26 PM »
when i'm talking to certain "person" and i can make a jokey comment  "oh that eejit next door annoys me, i wish i could shove a potato up his exhaust", and they decide i'm being serious(Sweet monkey fritters!??) and have a go at me telling me i'd get arrested etc etc,  i'm sat facing them with a smile on my face and used the word "wish", to me that means 'i know i can't but darnit i'd like to',  grrrrrrrrrrrrr   i've never had so much as a parking ticket, or came home & late drunk & i'm the one who gets this rubbish!!!

THIS. It drives me insane. My Former Horrible Boss was like this. She was incapable of understanding anything not exactly, precisely literal, often nit-picking about colloquial uses of words

I've known people who were terrifyingly literal. 

I once made a joke about the stock market.  It was about an investor who bought stocks in paper towels and revolving doors.  He was wiped out before he could turn around.  The reaction from a CW?  'Oh no!  How horrible!'.

Oh yeah. I once wrote on Facebook that the woman standing next to me on the train commented to her companion that Bostonians were not friendly. So I kicked her in the shin.

Cue a 4 paragraph lecture about how I missed my chance to prove that Bostonians were nice people, rather than kicking her in the shin.

Yeah, do you really think I kicked a total stranger?

I get the joke, and I think it's funny. But it's hard to carry tone over the internet. Did you put a wink face or something similar with it?

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

PeterM

« Reply #13861 on: November 17, 2013, 10:14:02 PM »
Oh yeah. I once wrote on Facebook that the woman standing next to me on the train commented to her companion that Bostonians were not friendly. So I kicked her in the shin.

Cue a 4 paragraph lecture about how I missed my chance to prove that Bostonians were nice people, rather than kicking her in the shin.

I get the joke, and I think it's funny. But it's hard to carry tone over the internet. Did you put a wink face or something similar with it?

I'm not personally a fan of emoticons in general, and I really don't like them in cases like that. If you keep coddling people who would actually believe that sort of obvious joke, they'll never learn any better. If you just forget the emoticons and let your readers sink or swim, they'll either come to recognize sarcasm that's obvious to 99% of the population or they'll go through life believing they're surrounded by horrible human beings. I find either outcome preferable to the over-use of emoticons, and of course my preferences are paramount.

exitzero

« Reply #13862 on: November 18, 2013, 06:29:43 AM »

I'm not personally a fan of emoticons in general, and I really don't like them in cases like that. If you keep coddling people who would actually believe that sort of obvious joke, they'll never learn any better. If you just forget the emoticons and let your readers sink or swim, they'll either come to recognize sarcasm that's obvious to 99% of the population or they'll go through life believing they're surrounded by horrible human beings. I find either outcome preferable to the over-use of emoticons, and of course my preferences are paramount.
It didn't even occur to me to use an emoticon. I never thought that someone would think I really kicked the woman! And this wasn't even just a "Facebook friend", but someone who has known me in real life for nearly 10 years!

Shalamar

« Reply #13863 on: November 18, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
When I was taking Hamlet at school, I repeated an old joke to a friend of mine:  "Hamlet isn't bad, but it relies too much on famous quotations."  She looked puzzled and said "Well, I like it ... "

audhs

« Reply #13864 on: November 18, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »
When people make sweeping proclamations about the right way to do things. Whether it's about .cooking turkey or raising kids.

I ran into an acquaintance  and her kids at the library she was going on about how they love books and would sit and read them all day.  Then she stated "no video games in my house just books. None of that crap that rots their brains."

I didn't say anything because it was kind of a throw away comment as we were on the way out the door.  I don't care that she doesn't let them have video games But really, we have both video games and books in our house and no ones rotting away here.

The thing I think really gets me is she knows we have video games for our kids.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13865 on: November 18, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »
I don't like having video games in our house because IME, it's not the IQ that suffers, but social skills, and it's all the more difficult to get kids to go outside and stay outside, and neighborhood kids, even ones with systems at home, look for excuses to come inside.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

nayberry

« Reply #13866 on: November 18, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »
when i'm talking to certain "person" and i can make a jokey comment  "oh that eejit next door annoys me, i wish i could shove a potato up his exhaust", and they decide i'm being serious(Sweet monkey fritters!??) and have a go at me telling me i'd get arrested etc etc,  i'm sat facing them with a smile on my face and used the word "wish", to me that means 'i know i can't but darnit i'd like to',  grrrrrrrrrrrrr   i've never had so much as a parking ticket, or came home & late drunk & i'm the one who gets this rubbish!!!

THIS. It drives me insane. My Former Horrible Boss was like this. She was incapable of understanding anything not exactly, precisely literal, often nit-picking about colloquial uses of words

I've known people who were terrifyingly literal. 

I once made a joke about the stock market.  It was about an investor who bought stocks in paper towels and revolving doors.  He was wiped out before he could turn around.  The reaction from a CW?  'Oh no!  How horrible!'.

lol,  i had this pop up again over the weekend,  younger cuz made a jokey comment on a long fb status convo she was having with a friend,  other person see's it and makes a comment that she shouldn't say things like that because rant.........   she made a joke at her(our) religious heritage.  i thought it was funny and in the context of the convo was hilarious!  other didn't get it!!

Shalamar

« Reply #13867 on: November 18, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
Then she stated "no video games in my house just books. None of that crap that rots their brains."

Yup, because all books are educational and all games/TV shows/movies are mind-rotting garbage.   ::)

That reminds me of when I let my then two-year-old daughter have a small glass of soda as a treat.  My friend got very sour-faced and said "MY son is NEVER allowed to have soda.  All that sugar isn't good for little kids."  Very true, but she made it sound as though I was shoving two-litre bottles of the stuff in my daughter's face 24x7.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #13868 on: November 18, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »
When people make sweeping proclamations about the right way to do things. Whether it's about .cooking turkey or raising kids.

I ran into an acquaintance  and her kids at the library she was going on about how they love books and would sit and read them all day.  Then she stated "no video games in my house just books. None of that crap that rots their brains."

I didn't say anything because it was kind of a throw away comment as we were on the way out the door.  I don't care that she doesn't let them have video games But really, we have both video games and books in our house and no ones rotting away here.

The thing I think really gets me is she knows we have video games for our kids.

I tried to argue with my dad that I should be allowed to have video games. Now I understand that some kids get sucked into games, and honestly, I probably would have been one of those kids and would never have tried to make friends if I had been allowed to play video games much.

But my 8 year old self finally figured out a way around my parents' objections. Video games help hand-eye coordination. That means good brain stuff, and they'll have to get me a video game.

I wasn't ready for my dad to reply, "If you want to build hand-eye coordination, go pull weeds."

Now, I'm okay with video games. If my potential SO played video games, as long as he didn't play them to the detriment of other aspects of his life, I wouldn't care. If he wanted to teach the kids how to play, I'd be fine with it once they hit school age. I don't approve of letting kids play video games with all of their spare time, but it won't kill them to play them every once in a while.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13869 on: November 18, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
Then she stated "no video games in my house just books. None of that crap that rots their brains."

Yup, because all books are educational and all games/TV shows/movies are mind-rotting garbage.   ::)

That reminds me of when I let my then two-year-old daughter have a small glass of soda as a treat.  My friend got very sour-faced and said "MY son is NEVER allowed to have soda.  All that sugar isn't good for little kids."  Very true, but she made it sound as though I was shoving two-litre bottles of the stuff in my daughter's face 24x7.

When eldest grand niece was born her Mom was all over the place berating men watching football games on Thanksgiving.  Didn't they know that any sort of television was extremely detrimental to the development of a child? 

Fast forward three years and eldest grand niece is attached to the VCR like a conjoined twin.  I guess her Mom decided that Disney Princesses made life a lot easier than monitoring everything to make sure her child was doing nothing that wasn't beneficial. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13870 on: November 18, 2013, 07:36:44 PM »
I don't have great hand-eye coordination either, and for that reason have always had some difficulty with video games as well as sports that involve a ball. 

That was one reason I thought a Wii would be great cause you have the wand and I thought, "Oh, just wave it around and it'll do what you want, no need to worry about combinations!"  ::) I got the Pirates of the Caribbean game and kept "dying" because there were still combinations and extra buttons to push in order to beat villains and such.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #13871 on: November 19, 2013, 12:25:33 AM »
*sigh* With all the Christmas gifts I am knitting and crocheting, this keeps happening. Somehow I get my hair or the cat's fur knitted/crocheted into the gift. I try hard to keep the hair/fur away from the yarn but it still happens once in a while. And with my dark hair and my cats white fur, it is always guaranteed to stand out against the yarn some how. I am very careful with the cat fur since I have a few people who are allergic on my gift list.

I know of the superstition of putting a bit of your hair in to ensure the gift receiver loves the creator. But I don't think people need to love my spoiled cat more than they already do. :)

cwm

« Reply #13872 on: November 19, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »
Dear sir or madam:

If you're going to put an application in online, please do not mistype your address. Repeatedly. It makes for a very frustrated sales assistant trying to figure out why your street adadress only has numbers (no street name) and why your city is called Purple Glen Court.

No love,
CWM

Sadly, this happens more often than you'd think. I've seen the website form, it's the same address input as anywhere else on the web. And the people that do this then go through the entire process online and don't do anything else weird, so I don't think it's that they're unfamiliar with computers either. Ugh.

Hillia

« Reply #13873 on: November 19, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »
If your website is going to make me wait for a confirmation email before I can use my newly-created account, please set up your internal systems so that the email goes out in a timely fashion.  Bonus points if you're a financial institution; I'd like to be able to look at my mortgage account today, not a week from today.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13874 on: November 19, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »
Trying to deposit a check via mobile on a very picky app. :P

BG: Years ago DH and I both got accounts at a credit union we lived rather close to, and could easily get to at least one of their branches.  Well we moved and the closest branch is at least an hour away but we held onto the account and DH had his direct deposit and other accounts tied to it we've just held onto it.  I have a checking account there separate from his and because we can easily transfer $ between the accounts, I just don't want to let go of it either.

And when I got a smartphone and found out you can deposit checks over the phone I thought "Woohoo!" because my Target redcard is also tied to this one account.

So I got a birthday check the other day from MIL and decided to use the mobile deposit to well, deposit it. Sweet monkey fritters, they do not make it easy! You have to take the pictures so that the image of the front appears to be the same size as the one of the back, get it so there's no shadows, the lighting is perfect, every # and letter is clear, etc. etc.

I did at some point cancel it before it was deposited, thinking "to hell with this, life's too short, I'll just deposit it in a local CU. 
But I'm stubborn.  So I made it work but good lordy, they really don't make it easy.