Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1295702 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13875 on: November 19, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »
Our local airport has free internet access for travelers. You sign in with a username, password and inform the flight number and seat. Of course, they have all sorts of requirements for the password: minimum number of characters, lowercase, uppercase, number, special characters and a hop and skip. Of course, I forgot whatever password I made up that met their specific requirements so I was happy to see a "forgot your password?" link.

What did it do? It sent an email with my password to my email account. The one I couldn't access because I forgot that same password. Brilliant.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13876 on: November 19, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
The resident conspiracy theorist at work is driving everyone crazy.

Every email is tracked by the government, the IRS is watching your social media posts and on and on.  ::)

Tea Drinker

« Reply #13877 on: November 19, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »
The resident conspiracy theorist at work is driving everyone crazy.

Every email is tracked by the government, the IRS is watching your social media posts and on and on.  ::)

I would probably say "I know, isn't it sad? And not just our own government, the Russians and Chinese are listening in too. Have you considered encrypting your email?" [Which, yes, is a weird version of "what are you going to do about it?"]

I don't encrypt mine, but I realize that is a risk, these days. .
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13878 on: November 19, 2013, 08:10:08 PM »
People who park on the street in our cul de sac.  The street is pretty narrow (exactly two cars wide), and so people parking out on the street cause lots of problems for others trying to make it through. 

One neighbor has someone come almost every weekend to visit them.  It's a huge pickup and they park it right next to our driveway.  They don't technically block our driveway, but because of how the pickup is angled, backing out from our driveway is a nightmare.  The pickup is left there for most of the weekend, and just drives me nuts!

Tea Drinker

« Reply #13879 on: November 19, 2013, 08:13:43 PM »
I went to a new doctor for the first time yesterday: I've lived here a few months and decided it was time I had a primary care physician, before something urgent comes up. The clinic has an online medical records and appointment system.

So, yesterday afternoon there was email telling me that there was "new information" on my account. I wasn't expecting anything that soon--routine blood tests take time, but I logged in, and discovered that apparently the "new information" is that the account exists. Which I already knew, because I set it up myself before leaving the clinic.

(They also did a round of "pick a password, letters, numbers, and special characters are okay, and case matters," so I picked one, and then it told me that actually I have to include at least n letters and at least one number. *sigh* Sometimes you can pick, oh, CaribouR4Ever and be told  you must have a special character, then the next time you go okay, Caribou-R-4Ever! and it rejects the hyphen or silently throws away everything after the eighth character.

Yes, I know, picking good passwords is difficult, and different people have different opinions on how to do it. Telling users what your site's password rules are is not difficult.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13880 on: November 20, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »
People not providing proper photo titles when they send files.  This morning I was saving photos from e-mails that had no explanation, only 15-numeral file names.  Not names of subjects, places, or dates.  I don't even know how to talk to this guy about that without sounding like a control freak.

PeterM

« Reply #13881 on: November 20, 2013, 03:11:12 PM »
Two grocery store complaints. I've complained about at least one of them before, probably in this very thread, but they're still happening so clearly not everyone's gotten the word yet.

1) Cashiers who refuse to let the belt move forward. I was in line at Costco forever last night holding two heavy, hot rotisserie chickens. Part of that's on me, but the weight and heat were only bad because it took forever before I could put them down. I hate customers who refuse to get out of the way and let you put your stuff down, but cashiers are even worse. The whole belt was packed, no room at all, and she starts choosing things from further back to make sure the belt doesn't move forward and give me room. In a store where the cashiers do the bagging as they go this might make some sense, but at Costco they just push the stuff down the way and let their assistant worry about it. So what earthly reason could she have had for ensuring the entire belt remained jam-packed as long as humanly possible?

2) Placement of the cart. We could all go on for days about bad cart placement in various parts of a store, but I'm talking about a specific setup. There's one conveyer belt up to the cashier, as is common, and two belts past the cashier. Customer A's goods go on belt 1 and they bag their own groceries while customer B's stuff is being rung up and sent down belt 2. Then B bags up their groceries while Customer C's stuff is rung up and held at the end of belt 1. Theoretically, by the time Customer C gets done paying Customer A is gone and C can commence bagging. The timing doesn't always work, obviously, but it's a pretty good setup. It looks vaguely like this:

|   |
 |   |
 |  CASHIER
 | B| B|
 | E| E|
 | L| L|
 | T| T|
 | 1| 2|
 |   |   |

This is not to scale, of course, but people who have been inside a grocery store might intuit that Belt 1 and Belt 2 are not all that wide. In fact, they and the small area that holds the bags are only slightly wider than the shopping carts. Given that fact, and the fact that both belts are virtually always in use, how would you place your cart when bagging? Would you do this?

| B| B|
 | E| E|
 | L| L|
 | T| T|
 | 1| 2|
 |   |   |
 MY CART

Of course you wouldn't, because if you did that no one could use the other belt and you'd slow everyone down for absolutely no reason. What you do is this:

| B| B|
 | E| E|
 | L| L|
 | T| T|
 | 1| 2|
 |   |   |
  C   C
  A   A
  R   R
  T   T
  1   2

It's not rocket science. Two belts in continuous operation means two carts have to be able to fit at the end at once. The aisle is extremely wide for just that purpose. No one who places their carts correctly is inhibiting anyone from getting by them. The sheer percentage of people who refuse to place their carts correctly, or even move them when asked, simply boggles my mind.

My mind is also boggled by my incredible mastery of ASCII art techniques, but that's a topic for a different thread.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13882 on: November 20, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »
People who put their carry basket on the conveyer belt at the grocery store. This store always has plenty of separator bars next to the checkout, so that is not the reason. There is a place at the head of the checkout line to put the baskets, but no.

cwm

« Reply #13883 on: November 20, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »
People who put their carry basket on the conveyer belt at the grocery store. This store always has plenty of separator bars next to the checkout, so that is not the reason. There is a place at the head of the checkout line to put the baskets, but no.

That's weird, I've never seen anywhere at the head of the checkout for baskets. Actually, most places I've been to, the checkers prefer you to put the basket there because they have a place to keep them back where they stand that doesn't block the merchandising in the checkout aisle.

Could be regional differences, though. I'd be annoyed if there was a stack of baskets before I even got to the belt because with most of the people where I live, it'd be falling over and blocking everything since very few people seem to be able to be bothered to put things away properly and stack them nicely.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13884 on: November 20, 2013, 04:13:55 PM »
The managers pick up the baskets often.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13885 on: November 20, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
Belts that move automatically, putting the next customer's stuff in your face while you're paying and waiting for your change.  Added on top of the awkwardness of handing you the receipt, the bills, and the coins on top so the slide, it feels like they're rushing you out with the intent of having you drop the coins.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #13886 on: November 20, 2013, 10:55:51 PM »
People who park on the street in our cul de sac.  The street is pretty narrow (exactly two cars wide), and so people parking out on the street cause lots of problems for others trying to make it through. 

One neighbor has someone come almost every weekend to visit them.  It's a huge pickup and they park it right next to our driveway.  They don't technically block our driveway, but because of how the pickup is angled, backing out from our driveway is a nightmare.  The pickup is left there for most of the weekend, and just drives me nuts!
I had a similar problem. I spoke to my neighbor about the angle problem and asked them to shift a few feet so I could see the stop sign intersection. They were fine with it and made sure I could safely back out.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

perpetua

« Reply #13887 on: November 21, 2013, 03:41:09 AM »
Bodies that don't co-operate, or, The Law Of Sod.

I had an ambulatory ECG done last week to try and get to the bottom of some palpitations I've been having.

I had the thing on for 2 days. Did it do anything while I was hooked up to it? Nooooo. Of course not. Not a thing happened, except that I developed a nice rash from the adhesive on the pads.

Machine went back to the hospital yesterday. This morning my heart's jumping around like the cast of Riverdance.

Why? Why does this happen?!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13888 on: November 21, 2013, 09:27:48 AM »
When people try to make their mistakes your problem! I work PT in retail. Have been for the last 8 years, and when I'm not away with my mom for Thanksgiving, I work.  This year, i ws not scheduled on black friday. I didn't question it, but just figured I got lucky.

HA - get home last night to find a VM saying they "made a mistake" and need me to work. I'm sorry, but the schedule's been out for a week, and I have plans. so I call back, and they don't use the word mistake, but say oh we realized we need more people, can you work?  Again, no, I have plans.  which are just to get stuff done at home, but they are still my plans. so sorry I can't help you.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #13889 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:21 AM »
Bodies that don't co-operate, or, The Law Of Sod.

I had an ambulatory ECG done last week to try and get to the bottom of some palpitations I've been having.

I had the thing on for 2 days. Did it do anything while I was hooked up to it? Nooooo. Of course not. Not a thing happened, except that I developed a nice rash from the adhesive on the pads.

Machine went back to the hospital yesterday. This morning my heart's jumping around like the cast of Riverdance.

Why? Why does this happen?!

That happened to me.  With me, it was because I didn't have chai while I was hooked up. Apparently cloves have an odd effect on me.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca