Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1651464 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14175 on: December 21, 2013, 03:09:32 AM »
^The Day I Helped Justice: Someone did that just as I was pulling into the cart-occupied space. In order for me to get into the space, I had to block her car. I idled in the aisle while I jumped out and put the cart away. I chalked up extra points because she had left a bag of McDonald's debris in the cart, which I handed to her with a smile saying, "I think you forgot this." It was warm and she had her car window open.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #14176 on: December 21, 2013, 08:57:24 AM »
Okay, now, that's funny.  ;D

It bugs me when I'm logging in on different sites (like a certain fanfiction site), and you have to 'verify that you're human' by typing in a code that appears in a box.  The problem with that is, I usually have a heck of a time reading said code.  "Is that an 'S' or a '5'? *gets it wrong* You stink..."

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #14177 on: December 21, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
Okay, now, that's funny.  ;D

It bugs me when I'm logging in on different sites (like a certain fanfiction site), and you have to 'verify that you're human' by typing in a code that appears in a box.  The problem with that is, I usually have a heck of a time reading said code.  "Is that an 'S' or a '5'? *gets it wrong* You stink..."

Ugh, that happens to me all the time.  It seems like they get more and more illegible as time goes by, too.  One day humans will be unable to decipher them, while the computers will become advanced enough to figure it out.  Then it'll switch: if you can accurately identify the captcha, you'll be denied access because you obviously aren't a human.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14178 on: December 21, 2013, 11:44:17 AM »
Getting sales phone calls for the boyfriend that go like this:

Me: Hello?

Person: Good evening, is Boyfriend there?

Me: Ah. May I have your name and the reason you're calling?*

Person: Is Boyfriend there?

Me: Please tell me your name and why you're calling.

Person: I need to speak to Boyfriend.

Me: Are you selling something?

Person: Is Boyfriend there? I need to talk to him. (Sounding snippy now)

Me: (restating) May I ask who is calling and why?

Person: (HANGS UP ON ME).

*I was raised to handle phone calls this way so I can hand over the phone and say it's X calling about Y.

I don't usually get caught in this game of dodgephone often, however when I do it's exceedingly frustrating if I don't know whether it's a phone call Boyfriend is expecting or not? Why can't they just say "Oh! I'm Bob, calling about Dalek Plungers" or something of that sort? Why pretend they aren't selling something?

It has gotten to a point that if these callers won't tell me why they're calling or who they are, I say I'm sorry and hang up on them.

And this is why I call people and say, "Hi, my name is LadySnowdon and I'm calling from *MyBusinessPlace*.  I'm looking for Bob Smith.  Is he available?".  The person can say, "Yes, one minute" or "No, he's not available, can I help you/leave a message" or whatever and there's no hard feelings!  My new boss was stunned that it only took me a day to work through 40 or so phone calls, and that there's only a few people who haven't responded yet.  Being clear about your reason for calling is key!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #14179 on: December 21, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
Unfortunately in some lines of work it is not always advisable to identify who you are and where you are calling from until you are speaking to the person you want to reach, eg. therapists' offices.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #14180 on: December 21, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »

Was that Faunasphere?  I hated to see that go.  My Singing Monsters, while fun, is nowhere near the same.
[/quote]

Actually, my MMO of choice was City of Heroes. It was loosely inspired by a pen and paper roleplaying game, and the concept was that your characters were all superheroes (And later, villains, rogues, or vigilantes). Unlike a lot of other MMOs, your appearance wasn't dictated by what gear you picked up. (A huge peeve of mine is that most MMOs really only let you customize your character's head, and that goes away as soon as you equip a helmet- especially when you have no option to hide your helmet) You got to make your own costume, and look like anything you wanted. All power-ups were done by means of "under the hood" enhancements, which you applied to your individual powers, and those didn't change the look of your character at all. And instead of having a handful of pre-determined races or species to choose from, you could be anything you wanted. I should know- I personified a good chunk of the Manhattan skyline as game characters. And the storyline was open enough that this (or just about any other character concept) made perfect sense. As for my female characters, sexy stuff wasn't forced on them- males getting functional armor, females getting bras and battle thongs). Since choosing a character's look was in the hands of players, having a female toon didn't mean you were going to be stuck in skimp-wear.
Sadly there's nothing comparable out there, at least not at the moment.

The other thing that bugs me is lately, when my friend and I have been hanging out, he puts on a movie from netflix or whatever, but we only watch the first half hour or so before he shuts it off because he wants to do something else. Dude, if we're going to watch the movie, then let's WATCH the movie! If you only want to spend a half hour watching something, then pick something a half hour long!
And while we're at it, stop giving me crap about not seeing movies! I don't have on-demand, I work nights and live in an area with limited transportation. So no, I don't get to see all the big blockbusters that you think I should.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #14181 on: December 21, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
Unfortunately in some lines of work it is not always advisable to identify who you are and where you are calling from until you are speaking to the person you want to reach, eg. therapists' offices.

Even then, I think you could say "Tell him it's Jane Doe. Please ask him to call me at $number." I would expect a caller in that situation to either give that sort of identification without explanation, or to politely say something like "it's personal. Thanks anyhow," rather than do their best impersonation of a debt collector.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14182 on: December 21, 2013, 06:23:50 PM »
People whose attitude about your problems is so obviously cavalier that they (and you) would have been better off had they said nothing at all.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #14183 on: December 21, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »

Even then, I think you could say "Tell him it's Jane Doe. Please ask him to call me at $number." I would expect a caller in that situation to either give that sort of identification without explanation, or to politely say something like "it's personal. Thanks anyhow," rather than do their best impersonation of a debt collector.

Exactly.  Even with all of the privacy laws, the caller should be able to leave some kind of message, instead of hoping that the person they're trying to reach is the one who answers the phone.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14184 on: December 21, 2013, 07:23:04 PM »
I cannot wear wool anything...not cashmere,  not merino,  not mohair.  It doesn't matter how highend or how soft it feels, I breakout in these crazy red welty hives in no time at all.  I can only assume I'm allergic to wool, but I've had others who insist that cannot be.  Well, I can tell you, it feels like my skin is on fire and I'm being eaten alive by fire ants...and as I've actually been attacked by fire ants, I can tell you that with certainty.

I don't have a better explanation since angora rabbit is fine.  I don't like shedding all the time, so I typically stick with cotton fibers.  It stinks because I see all these really cute sweaters and coats and they are wool or wool blends.   
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14185 on: December 21, 2013, 07:42:24 PM »
Of course you can be allergic to wool!  It's not a rare or weird allergy. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #14186 on: December 21, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »
Mohair sets me off too.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14187 on: December 21, 2013, 08:10:33 PM »
Mohair sets me off too.

Mohair makes my eyes itch as well as my skin.  It also triggers my asthma.  I don't go full blown attack mode, but get very wheezy.  Still I have yahoos that think that it's a natural fiber, therefore, you cant be allergic to it. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Tea Drinker

« Reply #14188 on: December 21, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
Mohair sets me off too.

Mohair makes my eyes itch as well as my skin.  It also triggers my asthma.  I don't go full blown attack mode, but get very wheezy.  Still I have yahoos that think that it's a natural fiber, therefore, you cant be allergic to it.

*blink* I suppose they don't believe in peanut, shellfish, or bee sting allergies either, since peanuts, shellfish, and bees are natural?
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14189 on: December 21, 2013, 08:29:16 PM »
The other thing that bugs me is lately, when my friend and I have been hanging out, he puts on a movie from netflix or whatever, but we only watch the first half hour or so before he shuts it off because he wants to do something else. Dude, if we're going to watch the movie, then let's WATCH the movie! If you only want to spend a half hour watching something, then pick something a half hour long!
And while we're at it, stop giving me crap about not seeing movies! I don't have on-demand, I work nights and live in an area with limited transportation. So no, I don't get to see all the big blockbusters that you think I should.

That would make me nuts too.  While I admit I will do that if I'm by myself and realize I'm not as much in the mood for something as I originally thought, if someone else is into it, I'll deal.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata