Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1640835 times)

JoW

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14250 on: December 25, 2013, 05:23:28 PM »
My car's defroster is driving me nuts currently.  We're under a wind chill advisory and a winter weather advisory, so it's cold and snowy and cold and did I mention COLD yet? :)  I want to keep my defroster on for both my front and back windows, so that they stay clear and don't fog up on me (I can fog half of my front windshield by myself just by breathing when it's especially cold).  Instead, the manufacturer of my car has determined that defrost is a temporary thing, and really doesn't need to be on for more than 15 minutes or so, so it turns itself off automatically at that time.  After 15 minutes!  I really really hate fiddling with the controls to turn defrost back on again 2 or 3 times during my 45 minute drive home!
The electric defroster on a rear window is designed for removing frost or fog.  It sounds to me like you are using it correctly.  It is not designed to remove rain.  When use to remove rain or when accidentally left on when the window is clear it can produce enough heat that the window breaks.  I know someone who that happened to.  He was near Raleigh, North Carolina.  It was 20 years ago, before the 15 minute limit was added. 

Its like anything else - when you optimize for one thing you loose something else. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14251 on: December 25, 2013, 07:24:48 PM »
The years to come will most likely be different on their own due to (most likely) SO and I spending Christmas together (either at/with his or my parents) but this year I got blindsided. Well, no more.
Didn't get an answer until I was already in the car about when we would come back (from traveling 4h to extended family like we do every year), learned at the same time that we would also go to Other-city (3h or so one way) to see even-more-extended-family.
I don't mind going to see them, I mind not having been told anything when I sent multiple texts and email to know what was going to happen and never getting an answer from either of my parents. (They came to pick me up in Mycity, I learned the night before when they were going to come by).

I'm pretty sure that's because they don't see me as an independent adult yet, but at 25 and living with my (serious) SO that's bound to change.

So in light of this I also put my foot down on another thing, going to the restaurant tonight (25th) without a reservation. I told them I wouldn't go if they didn't set up a reservation on the 23 when I first heard about the plan. They didn't, so I'm staying home while they're out in the rain.

This is following an accident when they wanted to pick me up after my shift (at 8pm) without having made any plan whatsoever in Mycity and never contacting me with approximate plans so that I could tell SO to meet us somewhere/sometime. We spent a good hour and a half driving around and finding every good restaurant we could think of that wasn't full to the brim on a Friday night. I had not eaten well all day, had spent several hours on my feet and it was not a pleasant night. Even more when I had to call SO at 8 to tell him to get ready to go "I don't know where, but you know, get ready"  ::)

When they got up tonight with the "OK, get ready we're leaving soon to go find some diner" I reiterated, for the twentieth time, that nope, told them two days ago, I'm not going out and trying every da*n restaurant in an unfamiliar city to find them either closed or full. Thankfully my mother only said something like "you're being stubborn, have it your way" and they left (under the rain I might add).
We'll yeah, I did wanted to have it my way, and I do, I'm the one winning here. I don't care if they find the perfect place right away, I have the fire place and the internet, and a quiet night by myself in the middle of the holyday craziness.

I don't know how to clip this! I really do hope you develop a spine and don't start out for anywhere without a plan. We don't do it, except when the plan when are on vacation is to see the unfamiliar territory and see what we find, knowing that there is a town within X miles with at least a Subway Sandwich Shop something better will likely turn up.

No, I won't start on a 4 hour drive on anyone's whims but mine.

kckgirl

« Reply #14252 on: December 26, 2013, 07:27:57 AM »
One thing that drives me up a wall is people talking about others "playing" on the computer or telephone. I don't play on either. I read. I look things up. I do not play, and it really annoys me when people say that.
Maryland

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14253 on: December 26, 2013, 08:15:57 AM »
One thing that drives me up a wall is people talking about others "playing" on the computer or telephone. I don't play on either. I read. I look things up. I do not play, and it really annoys me when people say that.

What do you prefer?

When I'm looking at my iPad or phone, I know what I'm doing so say I'm checking something out or looking something up, but I don't know what other people are doing, and for many people they are playing, and when I am looking something up, I really enjoy it, so I don't mind its being called playing.

Unless it's doing the income tax or making cards and labels, but I don't do that in public anyway.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14254 on: December 26, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »

There are computer games that have grossed more than big budget Hollywood movies.

At its peak, World of Warcraft had more than 10 million subscribers (for the record, Sweden has a population of 9.5 million.)  Many, many people play games on computers.  You may not play on computers, but it is not an out-there concept to believe that others do.

Now, if they are talking about *you* playing, and they know your natural proclivities, then that would annoy me too, as surely if someone accused me of "posting to my wall".

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #14255 on: December 26, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »
Kind of like how I get VERY annoyed at people who refer to my sword practice as "playing".
My grandfather used to do that- he kept saying "play" and "playing", no matter how many times I told him I was actually practicing technique, and he would not stop. It annoyed the snot out of me, it just came across as so ignorant and dismissive.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14256 on: December 26, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
Kind of like how I get VERY annoyed at people who refer to my sword practice as "playing".
My grandfather used to do that- he kept saying "play" and "playing", no matter how many times I told him I was actually practicing technique, and he would not stop. It annoyed the snot out of me, it just came across as so ignorant and dismissive.

On the other hand, I had the honor of qualifying for the Empire State games.  At dinner, other runners and I once shared a table with athletes of almost Olympic quality.  I was taken a bit aback when these titans said that they 'played' Judo.  To us, there was little about Judo that could be called 'play'.

I suppose it's all in the eye of the participant. 

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #14257 on: December 26, 2013, 08:12:29 PM »
Lately, my phone has been ringing at the most inopportune times or when I do not feel like being interrupted. I suppose I got my wish of NO INTERRUPTIONS during the Doctor Who Christmas Special, but I'm beginning to wonder if all those potential interruptions are now being paid back the next day.

I got in the shower - phone rang right as I shampooed my hair.

I went to brush my teeth after breakfast - phone rings as I'm using the pre-brush rinse.

I started getting out leftover Christmas dinner to warm up for Boyfriend and me - phone rings right when my hands are greasy.

I washed the dishes - phone rings when I'm in the middle of putting a very heavy casserole dish away.

ARGH! I'm tired of the phone!

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14258 on: December 27, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
Last minute "emergencies" at work. I am working remotely yesterday and today. from my mom's in VA, which is fine. Slow week, and i get done what I need to, and its not even 1pm.

then I get an email from somone who says 'we need to do this filing either monday or tuesday" which means we have to send it to our DC office either today or monday, in the overnight package. for some archaic reason, my group actually takes the stuff down to the mailroom. that's it. but the other depts prep and create it. as is our company mantra "that's the way we've always done things"

so after much back and forth, and me telling them, we can do it, but...a. the person in dc is out until Tuesday and b. they would have to take it down themselves, it was decided I would handle on Monday. whatever. i hate this. its slow, we are pretty much done, and you come up with a supposed "emergency" which really isnt.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14259 on: December 27, 2013, 12:43:39 PM »
When hardware is supposedly included in the boxes for putting together a child's toy, but they only tell you "You'll need 8 bolts" without telling you what kind.

Because if someone forgot to include the hardware, you're left not knowing what you need to get to replace those parts!  We got our littlest one a train table for his room and all the directions say are 8 bolts, and 8 barrels for bolts.  Nothing saying what size is needed.  And of course I call customer service and they're closed at noon on Friday and guess what time I called? Very shortly after noon!   *banging head!!!*

Why can't they at least say "This is the size you need"?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #14260 on: December 27, 2013, 01:03:27 PM »
Last minute "emergencies" at work. I am working remotely yesterday and today. from my mom's in VA, which is fine. Slow week, and i get done what I need to, and its not even 1pm.

Totally agree! I'm on a project at work that we have been told is due in early-mid January. For months they've been sticking to this time period, which was totally manageable.

On December 17, late in the afternoon, we got an e-mail saying they needed it by Friday, December 27, or "preferably earlier." Argh.

TaurusGirl

« Reply #14261 on: December 27, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »
Currently, the windshield wipers on my new (to  me) car.

I just got my 4th VW, a cute littel 2001 Golf. I love her. I am accustomed to the VW quirks that each car will have... but this one is really annoying.

The Hawk and I are back in Winnipeg (Hi Shalamar!), and as previously mentioned, it gets COLD. My windshield wipers have conveniently decided that once it is below-25C, they just aren't going to work . The first time it happened, I thought the wiper motor had seized (another VW feature), so I took it in the garage to thaw and was going to work on it. Low and behold, when I went to test them after the car had been in the garage over night... they worked just fine. Rinse & repeat every time we get a chilly night. *sigh*

GreenHall

« Reply #14262 on: December 27, 2013, 03:03:51 PM »

I just got my 4th VW, a cute littel 2001 Golf. I love her. I am accustomed to the VW quirks that each car will have... but this one is really annoying.

The Hawk and I are back in Winnipeg (Hi Shalamar!), and as previously mentioned, it gets COLD. My windshield wipers have conveniently decided that once it is below-25C, they just aren't going to work . The first time it happened, I thought the wiper motor had seized (another VW feature), so I took it in the garage to thaw and was going to work on it. Low and behold, when I went to test them after the car had been in the garage over night... they worked just fine. Rinse & repeat every time we get a chilly night. *sigh*

In their defense, I wouldn't be functioning either at that temperature  ;D. It's a good thing I'm in Florida.

cwm

« Reply #14263 on: December 27, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »

In their defense, I wouldn't be functioning either at that temperature  ;D. It's a good thing I'm in Florida.

Heck, I even like the cold and I don't think I'd function at that temperature. There are limits!

diesel_darlin

« Reply #14264 on: December 27, 2013, 08:23:12 PM »

My dad does this. And if I answer a text, he asks who Im talking to.