News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 09:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5500863 times)

Thipu1

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14100 on: December 26, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
Kind of like how I get VERY annoyed at people who refer to my sword practice as "playing".
My grandfather used to do that- he kept saying "play" and "playing", no matter how many times I told him I was actually practicing technique, and he would not stop. It annoyed the snot out of me, it just came across as so ignorant and dismissive.

On the other hand, I had the honor of qualifying for the Empire State games.  At dinner, other runners and I once shared a table with athletes of almost Olympic quality.  I was taken a bit aback when these titans said that they 'played' Judo.  To us, there was little about Judo that could be called 'play'.

I suppose it's all in the eye of the participant. 

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #14101 on: December 26, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »
Lately, my phone has been ringing at the most inopportune times or when I do not feel like being interrupted. I suppose I got my wish of NO INTERRUPTIONS during the Doctor Who Christmas Special, but I'm beginning to wonder if all those potential interruptions are now being paid back the next day.

I got in the shower - phone rang right as I shampooed my hair.

I went to brush my teeth after breakfast - phone rings as I'm using the pre-brush rinse.

I started getting out leftover Christmas dinner to warm up for Boyfriend and me - phone rings right when my hands are greasy.

I washed the dishes - phone rings when I'm in the middle of putting a very heavy casserole dish away.

ARGH! I'm tired of the phone!

Who is the Doctor?

siamesecat2965

« Reply #14102 on: December 27, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »
Last minute "emergencies" at work. I am working remotely yesterday and today. from my mom's in VA, which is fine. Slow week, and i get done what I need to, and its not even 1pm.

then I get an email from somone who says 'we need to do this filing either monday or tuesday" which means we have to send it to our DC office either today or monday, in the overnight package. for some archaic reason, my group actually takes the stuff down to the mailroom. that's it. but the other depts prep and create it. as is our company mantra "that's the way we've always done things"

so after much back and forth, and me telling them, we can do it, but...a. the person in dc is out until Tuesday and b. they would have to take it down themselves, it was decided I would handle on Monday. whatever. i hate this. its slow, we are pretty much done, and you come up with a supposed "emergency" which really isnt.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #14103 on: December 27, 2013, 11:43:39 AM »
When hardware is supposedly included in the boxes for putting together a child's toy, but they only tell you "You'll need 8 bolts" without telling you what kind.

Because if someone forgot to include the hardware, you're left not knowing what you need to get to replace those parts!  We got our littlest one a train table for his room and all the directions say are 8 bolts, and 8 barrels for bolts.  Nothing saying what size is needed.  And of course I call customer service and they're closed at noon on Friday and guess what time I called? Very shortly after noon!   *banging head!!!*

Why can't they at least say "This is the size you need"?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #14104 on: December 27, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
Last minute "emergencies" at work. I am working remotely yesterday and today. from my mom's in VA, which is fine. Slow week, and i get done what I need to, and its not even 1pm.

Totally agree! I'm on a project at work that we have been told is due in early-mid January. For months they've been sticking to this time period, which was totally manageable.

On December 17, late in the afternoon, we got an e-mail saying they needed it by Friday, December 27, or "preferably earlier." Argh.

TaurusGirl

« Reply #14105 on: December 27, 2013, 12:11:13 PM »
Currently, the windshield wipers on my new (to  me) car.

I just got my 4th VW, a cute littel 2001 Golf. I love her. I am accustomed to the VW quirks that each car will have... but this one is really annoying.

The Hawk and I are back in Winnipeg (Hi Shalamar!), and as previously mentioned, it gets COLD. My windshield wipers have conveniently decided that once it is below-25C, they just aren't going to work . The first time it happened, I thought the wiper motor had seized (another VW feature), so I took it in the garage to thaw and was going to work on it. Low and behold, when I went to test them after the car had been in the garage over night... they worked just fine. Rinse & repeat every time we get a chilly night. *sigh*

GreenHall

« Reply #14106 on: December 27, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »

I just got my 4th VW, a cute littel 2001 Golf. I love her. I am accustomed to the VW quirks that each car will have... but this one is really annoying.

The Hawk and I are back in Winnipeg (Hi Shalamar!), and as previously mentioned, it gets COLD. My windshield wipers have conveniently decided that once it is below-25C, they just aren't going to work . The first time it happened, I thought the wiper motor had seized (another VW feature), so I took it in the garage to thaw and was going to work on it. Low and behold, when I went to test them after the car had been in the garage over night... they worked just fine. Rinse & repeat every time we get a chilly night. *sigh*

In their defense, I wouldn't be functioning either at that temperature  ;D. It's a good thing I'm in Florida.

cwm

« Reply #14107 on: December 27, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »

In their defense, I wouldn't be functioning either at that temperature  ;D. It's a good thing I'm in Florida.

Heck, I even like the cold and I don't think I'd function at that temperature. There are limits!

diesel_darlin

« Reply #14108 on: December 27, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
One thing that drives me up a wall is people talking about others "playing" on the computer or telephone. I don't play on either. I read. I look things up. I do not play, and it really annoys me when people say that.

My dad does this. And if I answer a text, he asks who Im talking to.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #14109 on: December 27, 2013, 09:16:43 PM »

That is highly irritating!  If they sell a car in an area that gets that cold (and colder!) then all functions of the car should perform at all temperatures!

On Monday of this week, the time/temp clock I drove past said it was -17F at 7:30 in the morning.  It really doesn't seem worthwhile to go anywhere when it's that cold...and the windchill made it worse.  I informed my DH it had descended to "swearingly cold" weather - where you swear every time the weather comes up!

Luci

« Reply #14110 on: December 27, 2013, 09:25:29 PM »
Lately, my phone has been ringing at the most inopportune times or when I do not feel like being interrupted. I suppose I got my wish of NO INTERRUPTIONS during the Doctor Who Christmas Special, but I'm beginning to wonder if all those potential interruptions are now being paid back the next day.

I went to brush my teeth after breakfast - phone rings as I'm using the pre-brush rinse.

I started getting out leftover Christmas dinner to warm up for Boyfriend and me - phone rings right when my hands are greasy.

I washed the dishes - phone rings when I'm in the middle of putting a very heavy casserole dish away.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what your problem is. Do you not have voice mail?  Now we have caller ID - I don't answer if we don't recognize the number - they will leave a message if it is important.

In the 1950s, '60s, and 70's, I often said that if it was important, they would call back.

Ever since we got out first answering machine in the 1980s, it didn't take me more than a minute to get over the phone's ringing as a command performance.  We have many times just been too busy or involved with other interests  :)  to answer the phone.

My phone is for my convenience.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #14111 on: December 28, 2013, 01:59:29 PM »
People who want to type and walk:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/171699804517241352/

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #14112 on: December 28, 2013, 06:20:26 PM »

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what your problem is. Do you not have voice mail?  Now we have caller ID - I don't answer if we don't recognize the number - they will leave a message if it is important.

In the 1950s, '60s, and 70's, I often said that if it was important, they would call back.

Ever since we got out first answering machine in the 1980s, it didn't take me more than a minute to get over the phone's ringing as a command performance.  We have many times just been too busy or involved with other interests  :)  to answer the phone.

My phone is for my convenience.

Sometimes I do. It is the timing of it ringing that irritated me. They were all calls I was waiting for and needed to answer.
Who is the Doctor?

mlmama

« Reply #14113 on: December 28, 2013, 11:11:29 PM »
When my SO puts in a movie or TV show to watch before bedtime and I get into it, then he turns it off right before the end. Really. Like 5 minutes before. Drives me crazy. Even if I didn't start out watching, I am now! Let it finish!  One of his many little quirks I put up with.  ;)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14114 on: December 29, 2013, 04:37:40 AM »
When my SO puts in a movie or TV show to watch before bedtime and I get into it, then he turns it off right before the end. Really. Like 5 minutes before. Drives me crazy. Even if I didn't start out watching, I am now! Let it finish!  One of his many little quirks I put up with.  ;)

That would make me homicidal.